Articles | Breaking News | Coronavirus | Orlando

Sacramento Kings shut down practice facility after positive coronavirus tests, per report

The Kings become the latest team to shut down their practice facilities.

The Sacramento Kings are shutting down their practice facility after a member of the team’s traveling party tested positive for coronavirus, according to a report from The Athletic’s Sam Amick. The team is scheduled to fly to Orlando on Wednesday.

The Kings become the latest team to shut down their facilities after a positive test. Earlier on Sunday the Milwaukee Bucks also shut down their facility.

The Denver Nuggets, Miami Heat, Brooklyn Nets, and Los Angeles Clippers have also been forced to shut down facilities.

This shutdown can be seen one of two ways. It can be seen as an ominous warning of dangers teams will face as they head to the so-called bubble in Orlando, or it could be seen as a sign that the testing procedures are working as intended and catching cases before they spread to the rest of the traveling party.

There’s been no indication of who tested positive and it’s unlikely we’ll know unless that individual identifies themself publicly. Medical privacy laws and journalistic standards generally mean individuals will not be identified publicly unless they choose to identify themselves.

Michael McKay
1 month ago

Are the league’s finances so delicate that they just couldn’t punt this season? Do they think the fan’s attention span won’t last until next season? Will it be worth it if a coach or staff member dies? If a player gets sick and cant recover enough to play again? I dont get the plan here at all.

Last edited 1 month ago by MichaelMack
Rob Hessing
Reply to  MichaelMack

I understand all of the effort if you’re on the short list of true championship contenders (especially as it pertains to Milwaukee), but on the grander scope of things I agree with you 100%. The risk vs. reward here seems severely out of whack. Stick a fork in it and start planning for the 20-21 season.

Rik Smits
Reply to  MichaelMack

Do they think the fan’s attention span won’t last until next season?

At the rate things are going, I think they might be more concerned with the fans’ lifespan.

Richie J
Reply to  MichaelMack

Yeah, at least the NHL took the precaution of putting its hubs in Canada. Florida is having a massive spike in cases, so I think it’ll be very hard for the NBA to do this w/o some people getting COVID-19.

Rob Hessing
1 month ago

Need one of these with the name “COVID” on the back. No one would come near me.comment image
(And yes, it would be worn sans pants.)

Ican Hascheezburger
1 month ago

That would be TWO reasons no one comes near you, Rob

Last edited 1 month ago by Kosta
Rob Hessing
1 month ago

So I have to wear a mask AND pants?!? What, did 3M & Levi Strauss join The Pentaverate?comment image

Last edited 1 month ago by RobHessing
Henry Stroud
1 month ago

The shutdown can be seen one of two ways: the way that it is or the way we’re collectively pretending it is because we want to watch basketball again.

As much as I’d love to see a satisfying end to the season, the frequency with which these training camps are being closed makes it clear that’s just not in the cards. It’s a bummer, but in the broader spectrum of Covid related disasters, a minor one. Shut it down and start preparing for next season when we will, hopefully, have a better handle on the virus and, very hopefully, a vaccine.

A G
1 month ago

I just don’t see all this working out. For both the MLB and NBA. It probably shouldn’t at this point, either. Just wait for next year, start the season on Christmas.

T D

comment image?itemid=7645437

Adam Dieter
1 month ago

I logged in to post the “This is Fine” gif, but this works just as well.

Kings Guru21
1 month ago

Kings are 1 of 7 teams with which this has happened to. If the league wasn’t prepared for this, I don’t know what to say.

Sigh.

T I
1 month ago

Yeah, I’m sure they expected some of this – wonder if they are surprised at the volume at this early stage.

Kings Guru21
1 month ago

It would depend on what they considered reasonable volume, wouldn’t it? But I haven’t been paying attention to this much as far as what NBA expectation is as far as COVID numbers are concerned. I’m not reading the rumor tea leaves, haven’t for a long time.

I’ve been treating every piece of news as ‘it’ll happen or it won’t’ FWIW. But the COVID part of this doesn’t scare me. Unless one of these players has a condition like Chris Bosh. And if I were a NBA player I wouldn’t take the COVID 19 Coronavirus any more seriously than I would pneumonia.

Just as an aside, but I happen to be in the hospital atm with blood clots. I was tested for COVID, came out negative, and I can tell you I’m far more afraid of the blood clot in my leg than I am of COVID. Like a 100,000% more. Mileage varies on this, sure, and if you have severe breathing issues I get anyone’s concern. I, too, would share that.

But if you don’t, and hell even if you’re my parents age (70) I’m not terribly concerned for either’s welfare were they to contract it. But my father has several issues that were they to come in full force they could easily be deadly. And he’s not alone, not even close. I’m sure there are member’s here with something similar, or worse. Medical problems didn’t begin or end with the novel coronavirus COVID 19.

But I think what the Kings and the entire NBA is battling is perception of risk vs actual medical risk. That’s been my view of this. And I think privately they are less afraid than the public seems to be.

That’s my take, for better or worse.

Richie J
1 month ago

From what I’ve read, COVID-19 attacks blood vessels in addition to attacking the lungs, so you’d be at greater risk of suffering complications (due to your blood clots) if you got COVID-19.

Last edited 1 month ago by richie88
T I
1 month ago

You might be fine. Your parents might be fine. Every NBA player might be fine. And I accept that I’d most likely be fine, if I were infected. But that means very little, since it’s highly contagious and there are many vulnerable people around us.

It’s not about you, it’s about everyone. Unless, of course, it’s only about you.

Kings Guru21
1 month ago

It’s not about me, I just have me as an example.

And how can you possibly protect everyone?

T I
1 month ago

If you can’t protect everyone, do you protect no-one?

Kings Guru21
1 month ago

I think the best we can do is take care of ourselves and our families.

And I think we are seeing the many cracks in our political, media and medical systems as a result.

But everyone is different.

Colin Keiner
1 month ago

That’s not good enough in a global society of over 7 billion people.

We’re all connected. My actions affect the people around me just as their actions affect me. No one is an island right now. It’s about time people start acting on that.

T I
1 month ago

It seems to me that protecting oneself is protecting everyone else (and vice versa). We’d all be safer resuming some sort of normalcy if we worked on making social distancing and wearing masks a cultural thing.

Like many other countries are showing currently.

Carl Spackler
1 month ago

Just as an aside, but I happen to be in the hospital atm with blood clots.

Get well soon, Nate. (And stay away from the damn hospital!)

T I
Reply to  Carl

Ditto. Sorry I glossed over that Nate…hope you are ok.

Kings Guru21

Appreciate it y’all. Pray I get out of here tomorrow. LOL

Adam Dieter
1 month ago

I think we are really seeing the true colors of billionaire team owners who will push this to the very precipice. It all comes down to the almighty dollar.

Rik Smits

Kevin Lam
1 month ago

I think a billionaire team owner down-voted your comment.

Rik Smits

He has people for that.

Soooo
Matina just down-voted your comment.

T I
1 month ago

In Silver’s lone news conference since pressing pause on the season, conducted April 17, he identified a number of prerequisites before play could resume.

“We’re looking for the number of new infections to come down,” Silver said. “We’re looking for the availability of testing on a large scale. We’re looking at the path that we’re on for potentially a vaccine. We’re looking at antivirals. On top of that, we’re paying close attention to what the C.D.C. is telling us on a federal level and what these various state rules are that are in place.”

Last edited 1 month ago by Otis
Kings Guru21
1 month ago

I disagree. Read my response to Otis.

Tom Cutter
1 month ago

I do wonder how accurate the test procedures are? I expect you can test negative, yet actually have early stages of the Virus. The accuracy rate of the Saliva test is in the 50 % range. What was used at the White House. The blood tests are closer to 90 % accurate. None of them are 100 %. The bubble is propaganda.

T I
Reply to  ZillersCat

I expect you can test negative, yet actually have early stages of the Virus.

My understanding is this is correct, that in the earliest stage of the infection there’s a significant chance of getting false negatives.

Jake Chow
1 month ago

Unfortunately money talks louder than common sense/health/safety. Even the Redskins are considering a name change b/c of the almighty dollar.

Rik Smits
Reply to  Kingme18

I heard the Redskins are cooking up (pun intended) an alternative:

Ican Hascheezburger
1 month ago

Covid-19 numbers skyrocketing, a case of brain-eating amoeba confirmed…….the only thing I want to watch taking place in Florida right now is Golden Girls reruns.

T I
1 month ago

BUILD THAT WALL (around Florida)!

Kevin Lam

Rob Hessing

Circumcisions gone wrong!

T I
1 month ago

Bugs Bunny was so far ahead of his time.

First time I’ve noticed that he raises his arms in triumph at the end.

Greg Rapier
1 month ago

I live in Florida. Our governor was very big on building the wall — he had a commercial where he had his son help him “build the wall” out of blocks, and it was one of his platforms during candidacy.

Florida does not border Mexico.

Last edited 1 month ago by MaybeNextYear
Adam Dieter
Reply to  MaybeNextYear

BUT THEY SHARE A BODY OF WATER!!! WALL OFF THE OCEAN!

Bryan B
1 month ago

Aside from greed, there’s no reason to continue this season.

Greg Rapier
Reply to  BeTheBall

Sure there is: entertainment, and a welcome distraction from everything else that can’t be.

Doesn’t mean it’s worth it, but there are certainly multiple reasons to play.

T I
Reply to  MaybeNextYear

AmphibiousHandle
Reply to  BeTheBall

I guess, in the way that anyone who owns a business or is working a job that’s not part of the country’s critical infrastructure is “greedy”.

Richie J
1 month ago

Basketball is very low on the list of what’s essential. Owners, players, coaches & FO executives should’ve saved enough $ to be fine during the shutdown.

T D
T I

And 1:

BREAKING: @MLS confirms our report that the Nashville SC vs. Chicago Fire game tomorrow night has been postponed. 5 Nashville players have been tested positive for Covid-19, and there were also 4 inconclusive tests.

Last edited 1 month ago by Otis