Articles | Commentary | Interviews | Videos

5 Takeaways from Sacramento’s fifth-straight victory

The beam above Golden 1 Center was lit once again...

This Sacramento Kings team just feels different. They've now won eight of their last 10 games and five in a row to improve to an 8-6 record on the shoulders of their elite offense.

After winning a huge nationally televised game against the Brooklyn Nets on Tuesday, it would've been easy to overlook one of the worst teams in the Western Conference, the San Antonio Spurs. While the second and third quarters were a bit concerning at times, the Kings turned it on in the fourth and came away with a 130-112 victory on Thursday night.

Here are five takeaways from Sacramento's fifth straight victory.

De'Aaron Fox is that guy

Coach Brown told De'Aaron Fox on Thursday morning that he was going to be essential against San Antonio later that night.

"I felt, this morning, that we needed a big game from him to help us get over the hump tonight. And he came out and was a plus 36 when he's out on the floor," Coach Brown said postgame. "On top of that, 28 and eight, and then the job he did defensively was fantastic. So, he showed up for us tonight and we needed him to."

28 points on 15 shots is just absurd offensive production from Sacramento's star point guard. His ability to hit the paint, knock down timely triples, set up his teammates, and continue to convert his free throws is essential to the Kings having the second-best offensive rating in the NBA (117.5).

It's pretty much expected for Fox to put up impressive numbers on a nightly basis at this point. He deserves the buzz that's starting to build around him potentially playing his way into All-Star candidacy.

Davion Mitchell's defensive pressure changed the game

With Keegan Murray unavailable due to back soreness, someone was going to see more minutes than usual. Terence Davis got the start, but he was even more erratic than usual on offense. Sacramento's coaching staff ended up going with small-ball lineups toward the closing stretch.

At the end of the third quarter, the Kings jumped out to an 89-82 lead over the Spurs and continued to expand that margin largely thanks to Davion Mitchell's defensive presence setting the tone and inspiring his teammates.

"The game changed because of Davion," Coach Brown said. "His defense, especially down the stretch, in that second half was unbelievable. I've been in the league 31 years, I think, now and there's only two players that I can think of that when they pick up full court nobody wants to dribble up against them. Obviously, we saw that from Davion tonight, and then Gary Payton II..."

Mitchell played 28 minutes and spent longer than usual playing alongside Fox. KZ Okpala is the only player who comes close to Mitchell's ability to disrupt opposing defenses.

San Antonio Spurs Head Coach Gregg Popovich echoed the fact that it was Sacramento's defense that allowed Sacramento to run away with it at the end of the third quarter and the beginning of the fourth. That was all Davion Mitchell, who drew three offensive fouls Thursday night.

If Mitchell can knock down open shots within the flow of their halfcourt offense, he could find himself with more opportunities as the year goes on to improve the defense.

Band-Aid Malik Monk

Malik Monk is a known bucket-getter, and he has been for years now. It was just one of those nights for Monk against San Antonio. He ended the night with 26 points, two assists, and four rebounds on 11/19 shooting including 4/9 from beyond the arc.

His triples were as timely as it gets. While Mitchell was pestering the Spurs' ball handlers on one end, Monk was helping extend the lead on the other. He knocked down a three at the end of the third quarter and carried that positive momentum into nine points within the first five minutes of the fourth to take the lead into double-digits and they never looked back.

Yet, while his stellar shooting is essential to Sacramento's offense, his playmaking may have been his most impressive skill.

"I know I draw a lot of attention because I'm able to shoot the ball and get to the rim as well," Monk said postgame. "I just try to get everybody involved."

When Fox is on the bench, Monk's ability to get into the paint and make plays himself or set up his teammates for easy buckets is crucial. With Murray unavailable, Coach Brown considered starting Monk but decided to not mess with a good thing and continue to have him come off the bench.

"He's so talented, with the ball, without the ball, but his athleticism, his quickness, and his IQ help out a ton," Coach Brown said. "When he gets in the paint, if you don't step up to him, he's quick enough, athletic enough, or explosive enough to finish at the rim in traffic. But, the neat part about it is because he has such a good feel for the game he can find [Domantas Sabonis] in the pocket. He can find [Chimezie Metu] above the rim as a vertical threat. He's done a good job of kicking out to shooters too. He's changed a lot of games for us with his aggressiveness and we need him to continue doing that now as games go on."

The bench frontcourt

Chimezie Metu seems to have gotten comfortable in his role as Sacramento's backup center behind Domantas Sabonis. The Kings switch everything on defense when Metu is on the floor and he's made that work, but it's his primary impact has come on the offensive end of the floor.

Last season, there were quarters where Metu was shooting a handful of threes in a single quarter, despite his subpar shooting percentages. Metu has attempted 12 threes through ten appearances into his fifth NBA season. During that same time frame, he's converted 14 dunks.

His ability to catch and contort his body to finish mid-air has proven valuable to Sacramento's offense. The explosiveness of his throw-downs helps energize his teammates and the crowd at Golden 1 Center. There's no better example than the lob he caught from Davion Mitchell on Thursday night.

This somehow wasn't even Sacramento's best dunk of the night, which came from Sacramento's third Kentucky alum, Trey Lyles. "I was just trying to be aggressive and go to the basket," Lyles said. "Someone just got in the way."

Lyles, who has become a regular contributor for Coach Brown this season, ended the night with 14 points, three rebounds, and one steal on 5/8 shooting.

Also, just want to give a quick shoutout to Harrison Barnes. After a slow start, Barnes seems to have found a comfortable rhythm and flow within Sacramento's offense. He ended Thursday's game against the Spurs with 16 points, eight rebounds, two assists, and two steals on 4/7 from the field, including 7/8 from the free-throw line.

Continuing to trend upwards

Even when the Kings were 0-4 to start this season, Coach Brown repeatedly stated that he felt his team was trending upward and that if they continued to do so the wins would come sooner rather than later. That held true, but even as Sacramento has won five straight and eight of their last ten, Coach Brown is constantly looking to improve.

Trey Lyles said Coach Brown told the team that he didn't think they played that well offensively against San Antonio. The Kings scored 120 points while shooting 57.8 percent from the field, 40.0 percent from three, and 91.7 percent from the free-throw line and recording 28 assists.

"I thought it was sloppy," Coach Brown said about the offense postgame. "It turned into a rat race quite a bit and I thought we overfilled a little much. We always preach to our guys to hit singles... there were a few times we got a little carried away with the ball and ended up with turnovers and they're out the other way... we can play better on that end of the floor."

It's difficult to have a more efficient night than the Sacramento Kings did on Thursday against the San Antonio Spurs, but it's easy to believe Coach Brown when he says they can be better when they currently rank second in the NBA in offensive rating.

The league is starting to recognize what is happening in Sacramento. They are not pushovers and opponents better come into Golden 1 Center ready to play or risk the Kings running up the score.

"The pace they play at is really tough to guard. They're physical on defense," Coach Gregg Popovich said postgame. "They're just a better basketball team and they're really buying into what Mike's trying to do. So I think that they're going to just get better and better."

To prevent spam, our system flags comments that include too many hyperlinks. If you would like to share a comment with multiple links, make sure you email [email protected] for it to be approved.
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
KingsFaninNY
November 18, 2022 8:28 am

Love this article and I am looking forward to the Detroit Game and then some of the more challenging tests that are ahead.

I think with Keegan in this game, the Kings would have been maybe closer to 140 with the score, with his ability to catch and shoot and rebound….

At this point, I hope we have finally turned the corner on the weeping for what might have been with Haliburton, although I do wish him success on the Pacers. The Kings have done an amazing job with the new coach, new players, the new system and the Beam….

It’s a very long season, but I hope they extend this win streak enough to get some more nationally televised games!

jwalker1395
November 18, 2022 8:42 am

Me to all the doomers still afraid to believe in the Kings again:

71a7u1_50.jpg
Want2win
November 18, 2022 8:58 am
Reply to  jwalker1395

They will come back when we go through an inevitable slump…. The difference is that I think this team will rebound from said inevitable slump!

jwalker1395
November 18, 2022 9:07 am
Reply to  Want2win

Yeah we got a tough slate of games next month but we should absolutely FEAST from Dec. 16 – Jan 20

BuffaloDiaspora
November 18, 2022 9:32 am
Reply to  jwalker1395

The DEN-DEN-UTA-MEM-UTA stretch during the holidays is going to be rough, but yeah, the rest of that time period should be a win buffet.

Nodaclu
November 18, 2022 9:38 am

Winning on the road is tough in this league, and that’s a challenging stretch for sure. We’ve been getting drunk on all this winning, but most of it’s been home-cooking, too.

I hope people are prepared for the road. Dominate at home, and play .500 on the road is still a recipe for a hugely successful season.

November 18, 2022 9:40 am
Reply to  Nodaclu

True, for sure. Fortunately we have been 3-3 on the road this year, so I think they can pull out some of those wins coming up.

jwalker1395
November 18, 2022 9:38 am

On the contrary, I think that’s EXACTLY when you’ll want to play Utah (no way they keep playing like they started the season). I bet we go 3-2 over that stretch.

Sacto_J
November 18, 2022 5:16 pm

DenDen UtaMemUta sounds like the next top rated player from overseas…

49er16
November 18, 2022 9:13 am
Reply to  jwalker1395

What gives me hope was that third quarter. The Kings wobbled but eventually blew out the Spurs. Kings of past years would have wobbled in the third and eventually lost.

Author
Author
November 18, 2022 9:19 am
Reply to  49er16

I am enthused by the depth of scorers on this team. When Huerter’s a little off, Monk is on. When Monk is off, Davis is on. It’s cool to see success up & down the roster.

November 18, 2022 9:23 am

One of the things I give Monte a lot of credit for is the significant influx of BBIQ to the roster. Very important, IMO.

Nodaclu
November 18, 2022 9:29 am

You’re absolutely spot on, and that’s an easy one to overlook amongst the dazzling magic, athleticism, and shooting ability that ‘s on display right now.

And that new influx of BBIQ is having an influence on a pair of guys who have been here a little longer, but are succeeding by playing smarter and more within their capabilities and skillsets (TD, Metu).

Author
Author
November 18, 2022 9:52 am

Especially at HC.

MichaelMack
November 18, 2022 10:24 am

Every game as I marvel at what Fox is accomplishing, all I can think of is what a waste the Walton years were for him.

OLDBHOY
Comments
Comments
November 18, 2022 12:37 pm
Reply to  MichaelMack

Completely agree. I would add some of that blame for those wasted years is on Fox.

Last year after a few games, I called Fox out on this site for his lame effort and I got blasted for it.

With the way he is playing both ends of the court now he is for sure All-Star level and arguably All-NBA. Great to see.

Crazy to think he is only 24!

Bluejohn
November 19, 2022 2:33 am
Reply to  MichaelMack

I was watching the YouTube very short recaps of last night’s games and as I watched the replay of last night’s win over the Spurs I was really struck by how much more refined Fox’s offensive game has become.

The recap as I’m sure most of you besides me knew is only a recap of made buckets but with the ability to focus on Fox I was amazed by how smart of an offensive player he has become and how often he does little things that make a big difference during the game that you don’t notice during the flow of the game. And like you Mr. Mack……I marvelled.

Bluejohn
November 18, 2022 1:48 pm

We finally have some smart shooters on the roster. I look hard, I squint and I have yet to see anyone who looks remotely like BennieMac

49er16
November 18, 2022 9:23 am

They finally have depth.

Author
Author
November 18, 2022 9:17 am
Reply to  jwalker1395

All the doomers? Could you provide a list of whom you perceive to be TKH doomers?

Honestly, the only negativity that I see around here these days are posts like yours that pick at scabs. But maybe I’m not paying attention. Full disclosure: I don’t really read through the in-game threads. What I have seen lately is cautious-to-unbridled optimism (or is it realism?!?), and it has been a joy to see the impact that good basketball can have on a long-beaten fan base.

Go Kings!

jwalker1395
November 18, 2022 9:22 am

I’m detecting some sensitivity here but I insist this was just a little jest. I don’t blame anyone for being skeptical of this franchise. Just know I will have space for all of you on the Kings bandwagon whenever you come to your senses!

Author
Author
November 18, 2022 9:52 am
Reply to  jwalker1395

Here’s the thing: Anyone that has followed this team at any level for any period of time is already on the bandwagon. For those that have been around for more than a five game winning streak, they have been dragged under the bandwagon.

Sensitivity? No. Just pushing back when I see an attempt to foist some sense of false superiority over others when it comes to rooting for this team. I simply don’t get it, and I suppose I never will.

jwalker1395
November 18, 2022 9:54 am

You took a really cynical read of that post! There is no sense of superiority. I am but a joyful fan that would like to invite my reluctant Kings fans into the party.

1951
November 18, 2022 9:56 am

(Reads a thread about optimistic vs. pessimistic Kings fans):

AmateurNerd
Comments
Comments
November 18, 2022 4:58 pm

What fans don’t understand about how to fan is…

Sacto_J
November 19, 2022 10:24 am
Reply to  AmateurNerd

Please don’t

Nodaclu
November 18, 2022 9:26 am

The in-games were still pretty negative until the Nets game. Things have flipped considerably over the last two games, though.

Yakshi
November 18, 2022 11:01 am
Reply to  Nodaclu

Yep.

Want2win
November 18, 2022 10:21 am

the doomers are far more prevalent on game threads and feels like Twitter commentary at times… full of “hot takes”

Yakshi
November 18, 2022 11:01 am
Reply to  Want2win

Exactly.

Sacto_J
November 19, 2022 10:31 am

I have a list. There’s about 5 – 7 names on it. They know who they are and they don’t deserve the recognition.
The issue isn’t their troll like behavior, though that’s part of it. The issue is their asinine statements somehow gain traction and then the most absurd ideas get propagated day in and day out when the team is underperforming. Then, when the team is good they have nothing to contribute, hiding behind their keyboards waiting for the opportunity to be dickheads once again.
So fk ’em. They don’t deserve to be defended, IMO.

November 19, 2022 10:40 am
Reply to  Sacto_J

Well put SJ. Consider this comment a co-sign.

BuffaloDiaspora
November 18, 2022 9:01 am

I am really liking the wing rotation on this team – Huerter, Monk, Davis and Murray are all capable scorers and as long as one of them is having a good night this team will be in the game. When 3 of them get hot, they can hang 150 on anyone while Fox sips a Mai Tai

Sabonis had a rough night against Poeltl at both ends and I think this is going to be a problem against bigger 5s all season. I like the chemistry this team has right now but if they are going to make a trade, I think a guy who can be a rim protector alongside Domas but doesn’t cause spacing problems on offense would be a good target. Nobody who would be realistically available is really coming to mind, though.

MaybeNextYear
November 18, 2022 9:15 am

Collins?

BuffaloDiaspora
November 18, 2022 10:01 am
Reply to  MaybeNextYear

That would be *expensive* – I was thinking more along the lines of a bench piece who can situationally play bigger minutes.

November 18, 2022 10:04 am

I’d go after Mo Bamba.

BuffaloDiaspora
November 18, 2022 11:02 am

I’m not sure Sac has anything the Magic would want, though. Holmes is a bad fit for them… Keon Ellis maybe (uggh)?

November 18, 2022 11:12 am

Yeah, I’m not sure what the Magic would want or what the Kings would give. That being said, I think they move Bamba this year. They have to make a decision to extend him or not, and the same goes for Bol Bol. With Banchero and Carter Jr. already under contract long term, either Bamba or Bol Bol is the man out.

jwalker1395
November 18, 2022 11:18 am

I liked a lot of those Spurs players last night. Vassell, Keldon Johnson, Sochan… all of those guys could be an invaluable role player on this Kings team. Spurs are tanking, would they part with one of them? It would probs take at least a first though which the Kings don’t have to spare.

November 18, 2022 11:58 am
Reply to  jwalker1395

I think those are the very 3 they are building around. Plus, they just extended Johnson.

Zach Collins is one I’d take a flyer on, and he’d wouldn’t cost much.

November 18, 2022 12:27 pm

Why would a guy who’s played forty-eight games in four years cost much? Gotta be better chronically-injured options out there.

November 18, 2022 1:40 pm

Johnathan Isaac would like a word.

November 18, 2022 1:49 pm

That’s fine, but that’s all he can have.

murraytant
November 18, 2022 3:37 pm

Zach + a hospital bed.

murraytant
November 18, 2022 3:36 pm

NO! Love me some Keon. Just wait. That guy plays D

BuffaloDiaspora
November 19, 2022 9:49 pm
Reply to  murraytant

Thus the ugggh.

Dbullsfan
November 18, 2022 10:02 am
Reply to  MaybeNextYear

I’d be interested to see if the Knicks would be willing to move on from Mitchell Robinson

MichaelMack
November 18, 2022 2:01 pm
Reply to  Dbullsfan

Interesting idea.

I floated Nerlens Noel a few days ago. I think the Pistons are fine with seeing where Isiah Stewart, Jalen Duren, and Marvin Bailey get them as their young core matures.

It seems like Holmes is the only contract that can bring back someone who might be able to crack the rotation. I would be hesitant to trade Barnes right now, as he seems to have found his role a bit (I keep mentioning this, but he seems way more committed to helping on the defensive boards than past years, and I think his ability to get to the rim and draw fouls has value to this team), as well as he seems to be a vet influence both Keegan and Metu are bonded with, and chemistry seems exceptionally good right now.

You would think a 10-12m contract would be reasonably fungible, but looking at players around that contract range that might fit in this roster/system, and its not as big of pool as one might expect or hope.

Nodaclu
November 18, 2022 9:33 am

One thing that’s becoming clear though is, McNair has brought in so many shooters – as you said – on any given night, it’s likely that ONE of them is going to have a hot hand, that it reduces the pressure on Domas to have to bring it every single night.

Combine that with the fact that he seems to be unselfish enough as a player to be willing to take a backseat in a game plan where the matchup doesn’t favor him.

My hunch is that his primary numbers are going to be down a bit this season compared to his time in Indiana, but his peripherals are going to go through the roof, because there isn’t pressure on him to put up big scoring/rebounding every single night, and he’s talented enough to find other ways to help this team win.

Last edited 21 days ago by Nodaclu
November 18, 2022 9:44 am

To be fair to Sabonis, most dudes have rough nights against Poeltl. He just might be the most under appreciated guy in the league.

fossilizedflatus
November 18, 2022 11:30 am

Underappreciated – I don’t know about that. How many other players have an NBA Wordle game named after them (how many have a name that rhymes with Wordle)

MichaelMack
November 18, 2022 2:03 pm

He is good. I hope the Spurs are able to move him somewhere he can get plenty of minutes. He could really help a good team.

TheKingsGuard
November 18, 2022 3:32 pm

I understand this suggestion, but don’t really see the value considering what one would have to give up to go get shooting/shot blocking big to protect Sabonis on defense. Wasn’t that exactly what the Pacers thought with the Myles Turner pairing with Sabonis? But you then can’t defend the perimeter as well and you significantly alter the offensive possessions with a catch and shoot big like a Turner. I just don’t think it’s a viable outcome. I’d rather increase our wing depth (hello Crowder) vs add that type of big man that didn’t really help Sabonis win more games in Indiana.

BuffaloDiaspora
November 19, 2022 9:52 pm
Reply to  TheKingsGuard

If it’s a situational bench piece to keep Sabonis from getting destroyed by Embiid or the T-Wolves, I don’t see the issue. I don’t think bringing a Myles Turner starter kind of guy makes sense, but a bench guy that can provide situational rim protection when Domas is getting bullied does seem attractive.

eddie41
November 18, 2022 9:03 am

nice breakdown. I think Davion affected the 3rd Warriors game the same way. And that was a big win also, after losing to the dubs twice.

1951
November 18, 2022 9:18 am

On the Fifth day of Kingsmas, my true love brought to me:

Fiiiiiive Golden One Beams (in a row)!

Last edited 21 days ago by 1951
November 18, 2022 9:21 am

The way Davion navigates screens is truly something special.
He is also very crafty in using his low center of gravity to his advantage, basically turning a (height) disadvantage into an advantage.

November 18, 2022 9:43 am

And he’s built like a tank (look at those legs AND arms) and has very impressive footwork.

It’s like he’s got a football player’s body and a boxer’s feet.

Plus, he seems to take pride in his defensive work and is (as I think Jerry put it) a dog.

Last edited 21 days ago by Kosta

Dreamyon Mitchell

Sacto_J
November 19, 2022 10:32 am

This is gold…

coolhandluke
Comments
Comments
November 19, 2022 1:00 am
Reply to  Want2win

One of the few things that I don’t miss from the glory days is Ailene Voisin

KingOfTheMonsters
November 18, 2022 10:26 am

Yeah, when he ran into the guy putting up the screen, you’ve got to believe that guy was cursing, “Damn, I’m sick of this ‘little guy’ running into me.” I kind of felt sorry for the guy.

kgdobter
November 18, 2022 2:13 pm

Davion runs faster sideways than most do running forward.

November 18, 2022 9:46 am

So much great stuff in this article about so much great stuff that happened Thursday night. The second and third quarters were a bit rough,some of which was due to sloppiness, but give credit to the Spurs who were hustling on defense and deflecting passes. There’s intriguing young talent on their roster.

Davion Mitchell’s ability to stop and change direction to stay in front of ballhandlers is superhuman. Referees appear to see his efforts as clean defense, and once they stop calling weak blocking fouls on him instead of charges, I don’t know what the hell anyone is going to do to keep him from eating your lunch. Three charges last night, though, best Sacramento player in that regard since Cousins.

Fox is just taking what’s there, and making great decisions with the ball. He’s been slowing down his offensive game over the past couple of years to keep defenders off balance, but he’s getting as many clean looks by changing pace as he does with his ridiculous speed. He just goes where he wants. Maybe saving a bit of energy that way helps his defensive work stay strong.

Between Monk, Davis, and Huerter, there are just a bunch of ways to keep the offense flowing. Davis crashes the boards like an absolute madman, as does Monk to a lesser, but still impressive degree. Monk is getting to the hoop, or you’re going to have to foul him. These guys go hard.

Both Lyles and Barnes are doing amazing work in filling in the cracks on both ends. Barnes deciding to change the flow by driving and getting to the line was where things got back on track last night. Both of them play smart basketball.

And did I read somewhere that this is the first time in sever decades that an NBA team has scored 120+ points in five consecutive games? Utter madness.

November 18, 2022 9:53 am

Barnes is also quietly returning to form. Over the last five games he is shooting 41% from three, while averaging 14.8, 5.8, and 2.6. He’s right at his career averages over that span.

November 18, 2022 10:02 am

Barnes is just steady. even with the occasional rough stretch. In general, you can set your watch by HB.

November 18, 2022 10:10 am

Yup, which is why he’ll still have value by the deadline, or if the Kings like what they see, would be worthy of an extension.

Part of wonders that if Barnes likes what’s going on here in Sac would be willing to a 3 year extension on favorable discount? 3 years at $35m that takes him to age 33?

MichaelMack
November 18, 2022 10:23 am

He seems like the only decent wing on the FA market at the end of this year. I hope the positive vibes keep him in the loop. I think he is exerting himself on the boards more this last two weeks than I can remember, and he is smart enough to evolve his game as he continues to age. His ability to get to the line has a lot of value.

November 18, 2022 10:27 am
Reply to  MichaelMack

I just don’t want to see the Kings have a very good season with Barnes as a key cog, only to have him walk in the offseason.

The truth of the matter is, the Kings aren’t going to find a replacement for him in free agency next summer so you have to move him or extend him, IMO.

November 18, 2022 10:26 am

That seems like a fair deal if Barnes would like to stick around. I’m definitely not moving him just to get something back.

If he and the team can’t agree to terms, well that’s just a big pile of cap room to work with. If the Kings maintain their style of play, winning season or not, free agents might actually look at Sacramento as an environment in which they can thrive.

Regardless, just going to live in the moment for now.

November 18, 2022 10:30 am

I’m begining to see the glass as half full this season, but there is no way I’m banking on Sacramento landing to tier free agents.

That being said, is Monk rising the ladder as the best free agent signing since…Holmes?

November 18, 2022 11:13 am

Agreed, any assumption that good/great free agents will be had is a poor bet.

Still, I get the sense that players like Mike Brown, and I’d imagine that some like the idea of playing for an African-American head coach, particularly one with a resume as great as Brown’s.

We got Monk in no small measure because of his friendship with Fox. Mike Brown could theoretically have that kind of gravity with guys looking for a new situation. I’ll take any advantage that can be had, the organization needs it.

MichaelMack
November 18, 2022 2:15 pm

I know the “Kings can’t land top tier free agents” is a really familiar trope, but for a couple of reasons, it just doesn’t carry much meaning to me anymore.

One, what good players make it to free agency any longer? Unless the FO is dumb, or the player is under performing or has a personal problem, almost anyone who could be considered “good” will sign a rookie extension. So the FA classes have become an exercise in averageness. I consider Monk becoming a FA to be proof of the Lakers being both dumb and a place that Monk probably did not want to play for anymore, but Monk is not a plus starter level player, as of yet in his career anyway.

Two, most teams have problems signing Free Agents. Sac is not a landing spot. Neither is NY unless they hire a players Dad. Dallas isn’t. What teams have been any sort of FA destination the last three years? Maybe Chicago? Miami? The best the Lakers could get for their mid-level exception was Lonnie Walker, who pretty much defines “mid”. I think teams sign any player of consequence using Bird Rights so they can go over cap with the idea that they can be used as a trade asset, since trades seem to be where good to great players change teams.

Maybe my perspective is off, but the players who hit FA now seem to be rotation level players picking a team that they might be able to get minutes, and signing very short contracts, like one year guaranteed and a PO for the second season, to see if the can get extended or create more demand for themselves after a good season.

BuffaloDiaspora
November 19, 2022 9:54 pm
Reply to  MichaelMack

The Buffalo Bills could never land top free agents and then all of a sudden guys are deciding to play for them instead of retiring. Winning matters – if the Kings get a top 4 seed in the West a couple years in a row and playing with Fox seems like a fun time, the FA issues will go away

TheBaker
November 18, 2022 11:18 am

would Barnes want to stay? I would think yes, but you just never know how players would like to finish their careers: hunting rings, going back home, or staying in a great community where they are well liked.

unfairweather
November 18, 2022 1:07 pm
Reply to  TheBaker

Hmmm. There’s no NBA team in Iowa and Barnes already has a ring…

jwalker1395
November 18, 2022 11:22 am

I’d say 3 years/$40million, front-loaded with a player option on the 3rd year, would be enough to keep Barnes in town.

Front-loading it essentially pays him close to what he makes now, and the player option allows him to decide if he should get one last payday before or after turning 33. And if he stinks, then the Kings get Barnes for around what he’s worth in that 3rd year.

Sacto_J
November 19, 2022 10:34 am

The wildly swinging pendulum that is this site’s opinion on Barnes is mind boggling. Not saying you, specifically, just overall…

KingOfTheMonsters
November 18, 2022 10:30 am

Yes, I was impressed by Barnes and Lyles. Barnes really changed the flow of the game with those drives, and Lyles was surprising. In previous games he mostly waited on the perimeter and shot threes, but I loved his drives to the basket. He’s quicker than he looks and that just opens up his game more.
On one of the radio shows, the hosts noted that the players have only learned a small portion of Brown’s offense. I wonder if they’ve begun expanding it.

arbexfernando
Comments
Comments
November 18, 2022 9:49 am

this from almost two years ago is aging like wine

believer.png
November 18, 2022 10:04 am
Reply to  arbexfernando

Mitch & Murray, you say?

glengarry-590x308.jpg
SneakerKing
November 18, 2022 4:52 pm

On a mission of mercy.

eddie41
November 18, 2022 10:07 am
Reply to  arbexfernando

wow. that one is impressive

Hippity_Hop_Barbershop
November 18, 2022 10:44 am
Reply to  arbexfernando

What stocks should I buy?

November 18, 2022 11:16 am

A lot of people are talking about crypto these days, so I assume that has to be a great investment.

Sadly, one of them is Matthew Delladova.

Last edited 20 days ago by andy_sims
November 18, 2022 12:45 pm
BeTheBall
November 19, 2022 9:11 am

Not gonna lie, that Fandex thing looks like good, clean, dumb fun.

eddie41
November 18, 2022 10:13 am

random talking point: do you think teams will start trying to get Davion off the court and how? We see teams trying to get Sabonis off the court by getting him into foul trouble. How will they try to get Davion off the court?

November 18, 2022 10:22 am

Nah, he’s not really an offensive threat and by trying to get him into foul trouble you just as likely to turn the ball over or blow up your offensive schemes. My bet is they just try to avoid him or attempt to switch him off screens. The only thing taking Davion off the court would be his own poor play.

November 18, 2022 10:23 am

I’ll also add, if Davion is getting deep into foul trouble it’s likely because he’s getting a ton of minutes and is up in everyone’s grill, which is a good thing.

Timmy_13
November 18, 2022 12:05 pm

Davion’s next step should be him improving his 3pt shooting. It would open up so much for the second unit and for his driving game.

November 18, 2022 1:18 pm
Reply to  Timmy_13

For sure.

BuffaloDiaspora
November 18, 2022 11:05 am

So they’re going to run plays right at Davion Mitchell?

bold.jpg