Articles | Trade Rumor

Scalabrine: “The Celtics want Harrison Barnes”

There continues to be smoke around Harrison Barnes and the Boston Celtics.

For nearly a month now we've been hearing talk about the Boston Celtics being interested in Sacramento Kings forward Harrison Barnes. For that same length of time we've also heard, via Sam Amick, that "sources say teams have been given the impression that the Kings have no interest in moving Barnes."

And yet it seems the Celtics are still in pursuit.

In a recent segment on the Celtics post game show, Brian Scalabrine said "Let me translate what's been going on. I'll help everybody out so we don't have to worry and guess anymore. The Celtics want Harrison Barnes."

Barnes makes perfect sense for what the Celtics are looking for, but the Kings are operating from a position of strength. Barnes is a reliable player and the Kings appear to be in no hurry to move him.

As for what the Celtics might return, Celtics analyst Chris Forsberg said the following:

"Probably going to have to send out a young player, someone like a Romeo Langford or Aaron Nesmith, and then draft picks as well. But I think that's a fair price to pay for a guy who slides right in as a fourth option..."

The trade deadline is March 25th, but with half the season over and a natural break for the All-Star hiatus, we could see teams begin to make moves any day now.

AmateurNerd
March 5, 2021 9:40 am

Picks or it doesn’t happen!

March 5, 2021 10:07 am
Reply to  AmateurNerd

ISWYDT 🙂

ArcoThunder
March 5, 2021 12:50 pm
Reply to  AmateurNerd

Have not participated in the comments section in a long while. Life has been crazy. You have no idea how happy I am to be able to up thumb this to purple status as my first action in months. 🙂

Bbmuteman
March 5, 2021 9:43 am

Danny ainge still needs to be willing to offer up something more than a garbage offer.

Melmoth
March 5, 2021 9:48 am
Reply to  Bbmuteman

Exactly- Ainge isn’t known as the best trading partner… FO should continue negotiating from a position of strength.

March 5, 2021 9:53 am
Reply to  Melmoth

yeah but most think he is starting to feel the pressure to sell off some of those stacked assets for contending pieces

Bbmuteman
March 5, 2021 10:09 am
Reply to  MidtownMike

He kept hoarding picks and now they’re all kind of middle of the road to low level contributing young guys that he can’t get rid of.

I don’t know if it’s true, but it feels like ainge can’t make a deal without the celts coming out looking like a clear winner.

March 5, 2021 11:05 am
Reply to  Bbmuteman

I agree, but now looking like a clear winner could be taking the team from 4/5 seed in the east back into the top 1/2 seed

Bbmuteman
March 5, 2021 11:14 am
Reply to  MidtownMike

You don’t need to convince me that, just ainge. 😉 that team is so close to competing for multiple rings with one or two players added.

March 5, 2021 9:43 am

Forsberg’s guess at what the Kings might expect in return seems pretty on the nose. It’s nice having someone in charge that knows how to play hard-to-get. If Barnes goes, I don’t think that Sacramento will feel ripped off.

And if he stays, that’s all right, too.

March 5, 2021 9:52 am

I think they heavily consider sending Tristan Thompson back and we send them Holmes as a way to help them with their money cap. I only do this for a hefty charge.

barnes, holmes, belly for Nesmith, Langford, Grant Williams, Thompson, Bos 1st.

if they feel they are losing too much for a couple of guys that are potential 1 year rentals we take out belly and either Langford or Williams but not both

March 5, 2021 10:00 am

Robert Williams or no trade!

March 5, 2021 10:08 am

I’m starting to move off him as a requirement because of his injury history and lack of shooting. I think of him as a younger Holmes tbh

March 5, 2021 10:16 am
Reply to  MidtownMike

I don’t know if Holmes is the right comp. Williams is a better shotblocker and passer. If Bagley’s shooting is for real, then I could see a Bagley/Williams frontcourt grow into a decent pairing.

March 5, 2021 10:24 am

I’m not sure they’re a good pairing since that would be a really undersized front court. But I’m also not making decisions based on fit with Bagley.

March 5, 2021 10:48 am

You’re correct. We shouldn’t be concerned about fit just getting talent for fair value.

Bbmuteman
March 5, 2021 10:53 am
Reply to  Want-to-be-gm

Higher end talent is sorely needed.

March 5, 2021 10:50 am

yeah I mean I’d do the deal regardless of if Bagley is here long-term. I am curious how they would pair though.

March 5, 2021 11:44 am

One other thing I’ll add is that the various plus minus stats are all over the place on Williams. He has the worst DRPM among centers this season for instance. But he seems to fair considerably better with D-RAPTOR and DBPM and D-LEBRON. I’m sure there’s plenty of reason, but when I see that level of variance I get intrigued. To me, it feels like he’s still learning how to defend, his total MP isn’t enough for any of these stats to be predictive, but also he may be miscast in his role on Boston.

Carl
March 5, 2021 12:21 pm

If you combine them, they make one good player!

March 5, 2021 12:25 pm
Reply to  Carl

That’s actually kinda what I was thinking!

March 5, 2021 11:06 am

yeah if people think Holmes is too small for full time center then look out for Williams

March 5, 2021 11:50 am
Reply to  MidtownMike

Though their effective size is probably about the same. Holmes has a inch or two in height on Williams. But Williams has 4-5 inch advantage in wingspan. So their vertical reach is likely pretty similar.

March 5, 2021 11:05 am

Williams is big time undersized for starting Center and really injury prone.

March 5, 2021 10:33 am

Watch a lot of Celtic games. Williams is basically Holmes and might not be as good although a bit younger. Undersized big, who can’t shoot from the perimeter but plays with a big heart and runs the court well. Bigs who can’t shoot with range are not commanding a big salary. Steven Adams a beast inside just took a fairly sizable haircut on his most recent contract. Montrez Harrell only got 2 years for 19 mil and he’s better than both Williams and Holmes. I think we can get Holmes fairly reasonably in the off-season with the hope we can improve further from their and Holmes becomes a high volume backup. I’d take Pritchard and a first. That would solidify the backcourt for several years and provide some depth there. I would like to see Buddy subsequently moved for Aaron Gordon or just a salary dump if we made the trade I proposed. I would not move Barnes without a decent haul like the one I suggested.

March 5, 2021 10:42 am
Reply to  Want-to-be-gm

I agree that Williams is basically Holmes, though he’s a better rim-protector and has more upside. So wouldn’t you rather get that player on rookie deal salary for this year and next, then as an RFA, rather than on a FA market rate?

March 5, 2021 10:46 am

That’s a fair point but if I’m fairly confident I can sign Holmes without overpaying, I rather have Pritchard. I haven’t seen enough of Nesmith. Sometimes a name gets thrown out and the pack mentality picks it us and runs with it and I wonder how many of these folks have even seen Nesmith play. I watch a lot of basketball and I haven’t seen enough of Nesmith.

March 5, 2021 10:52 am
Reply to  Want-to-be-gm

You would be judging him based on his college profile as well. Lately, he’s been getting roughly Pritchard level minutes. I mean, neither of them have put in enough NBA time to really judge. Ultimately, they’re both likely useful rotation players in different roles. Do you want a reliable back-up PG or a 3-and-average D wing. I think they both end up being roughly 7-9 guys in a good team’s rotation.

Personally, I’m happy with either.

Last edited 1 month ago by BestHyperboleEver
March 5, 2021 10:56 am

I think Pritchard can/will be a high volume backup with a Patty Mills upside. Haven’t seen enough of Nesmith to fairly comment but Pritchard can really shot it, he’s smart, NBA ready and his defense isn’t bad.

March 5, 2021 11:02 am
Reply to  Want-to-be-gm

Yeah. Pritchard has done well. He’s had the advantage of having Kemba hurt and Teague fall off a cliff, and done well with the opportunity. Nesmith slots in behind their two best players, so even if may have “deserved” more minutes than he’s gotten, they’re tougher to come by. Obviously, I’m not at their practices so I have no idea how he has looked. I’m basing my opinion on the time he’s gotten recently and his college production.

Bbmuteman
March 5, 2021 11:17 am
Reply to  Want-to-be-gm

His shooting has really fallen off in the last few weeks, also coinciding with their losing streak. I feel like on a good team, he’s great. Asked to be the primary table setter on the kings, he might not look better than cory Joseph is what I’d be scared of.

9sac8
March 7, 2021 12:14 am
Reply to  Want-to-be-gm

Nesmith is ready. I bet he’ll be a major contributor.

March 5, 2021 12:03 pm

But Williams has constant injury issues where holmes doesn’t. Just another factor, I’d definitely take Williams

March 5, 2021 10:38 am

Barnes + Whiteside for Nesmith, RWIII, 2021 1st and another decent pick. Probably the crazy 2023 2nd.

March 5, 2021 10:43 am

Boston won’t do that. Obviously you take it but it’s unrealistic.

March 5, 2021 10:46 am
Reply to  Want-to-be-gm

Probably not. But that’s where I’d start the conversation. It’s high, but not crazy. Which is generally the right place for the seller to start.

March 5, 2021 10:47 am

If you’re saying it as a negotiating strategy then yes.

March 5, 2021 11:44 am

I’d settle for just Nesmith, RWII and their 2021 pick.

March 5, 2021 11:51 am

Sure. I’m just wrapping Whiteside for a 2nd in there.

March 5, 2021 12:06 pm

They’d want Holmes and I’d give him to them and try to resign him

March 5, 2021 12:21 pm
Reply to  MidtownMike

Same. I have no problem trading Holmes for future assets. Kings stand just as much chance to get him back this summer as anyone else. Trading him to a contender may actually be beneficial to him, both to his game and his pocketbook.

March 5, 2021 12:29 pm

Yeah he could really appreciate that and I’d think it’d be an easy sell while still looking really good with the player.

“Holmes we LOVE you man, really want you to be apart of the future but we can have a win/win by trading you to a contender which helps us build for the future, while you get to go play for a championship, raise your value and come back home in the offseason.”

March 5, 2021 12:33 pm
Reply to  MidtownMike

Exactly.

Brown.says.Good.or.Bad
March 5, 2021 2:32 pm
Reply to  MidtownMike

This is good

March 5, 2021 12:48 pm
Reply to  MidtownMike

Holmes doesn’t really give them anything they don’t currently have. Unless they move RW3, of course. They’re chock full of undersized Cs with Thompson, Theis, RW3, Grant Williams, etc.

March 5, 2021 2:29 pm

Well he gives them an improved version of all of those guys…which obviously helps for this season

March 5, 2021 12:06 pm

We probably have to take thompson back and throw in Holmes to get Nesmith, RW and the 1st

9sac8
March 7, 2021 12:21 am
Reply to  MidtownMike

You’re talking about Klay…right…RIGHT?

9sac8
March 7, 2021 12:18 am

DEAL

9sac8
March 7, 2021 12:06 am

AND 1!!!!!!!!

March 5, 2021 10:02 am

We should at least expect a Duck as part of the package or tell Ainge to get lost.
comment imagecomment image

Last edited 1 month ago by Kosta
Peja
March 5, 2021 10:03 am

The Boston duck boat can take the starting five onto the court!

March 5, 2021 10:06 am
Reply to  Peja

I’d love to see the DUCK ride down the river and drop the team off at Old Sac. Then they ride BIRDs to G1C.

Last edited 1 month ago by Kosta
Peja
March 5, 2021 10:02 am

I think Ainge will find a way to make a move with that TPE and the pressure you can tell is mounting with Celtics fans/media for Ainge to finally make a swing. Will it be Barnes? Hard to say if Shams is reporting that multiple teams are interested. Find out those offers from the interested teams and see if you can leverage a team to give you a bit more.

Kangz_Landing
March 5, 2021 10:07 am

I feel like Kemba is on his way out in Boston. If I’m Boston, I’m not beating the Nets this year, so why give up young players that can be packaged along with Kemba’s max contract for another 3rd star in the future.

But I’m glad I’m not Boston! BARNES FOR PICKS AND YOUNGINS! DO IT MONTE!

Marty
March 5, 2021 10:20 am
Reply to  Kangz_Landing

If I’m Boston, I’m not beating the Nets this year

You misspelled 76ers. 🙂

Kangz_Landing
March 5, 2021 11:11 am

It was an either/or 😂

Sixers are the biggest threat to BKN. Or the other way around if that floats your boat haha

March 5, 2021 10:28 am
Reply to  Kangz_Landing

The Celtics winning their last 4 has coincided with Kemba getting back to his level. I think the rumors about Kemba leaving are probably highly overstated.

Bbmuteman
March 5, 2021 10:52 am

The guy is often injured. The teague pick up has not helped how desperately they need a table setter. It’s why the playmaking from Gordon has been so missed. Barnes can be a secondary or a tertiary playmaker.

March 5, 2021 10:55 am
Reply to  Bbmuteman

This is literally the first season is his career Barnes hasn’t been objectively terrible as a playmaker. I really don’t think a smart team is going to acquire him counting on him playing that role.

Bbmuteman
March 5, 2021 11:22 am

That’s why I said secondary or tertiary. On the warriors, he had a much smaller role and excelled. The mavs he didn’t do so hot as the top dog, but the celts have two top dogs already.

March 5, 2021 11:53 am
Reply to  Bbmuteman

The standard for an NBA secondary or tertiary playmaker is pretty high. With the Warriors, he’d probably would have been considered more of a quinary playmaker among the starters. And septenary on the team.

Bbmuteman
March 5, 2021 12:28 pm

I guess I just see it as being ideal considering Kemba and the two j’s would be doing most of the play making. If kemba is out injured, then barnes gets to be the release from those two, and he can make the right decision to shoot or pass it along to someone else after.

Also, that warriors team was pretty stacked, huh?

Kangz_Landing
March 5, 2021 11:15 am

This is definitely just grasping at straws on my behalf, no truth to my claims, but I’m just saying they’ve been looking for that 3rd guy for years and they’re still middle of the pack in the East even with Kemba, so if they shake it up, it’s probably Kemba and not Brown/Tatum. Again, they are not beating the Nets.

Something is just not right there. They need more of a playmaker/defender rather than another scorer to bring it all together.

March 5, 2021 12:08 pm
Reply to  Kangz_Landing

If they can get Barnes, Holmes and Belly from us I’d give them a legit shot to beat the Nets

Kangz_Landing
March 5, 2021 1:01 pm
Reply to  MidtownMike

Yikes.

To each their own.

March 5, 2021 6:15 pm
Reply to  Kangz_Landing

Kemba/pp
Smart/teague
Jb/barnes
Jt/belly
Holmes/theis/R Williams

Yeah I’ll take my chances, that’s deep af with a lot of versatility

Gregoryl
March 5, 2021 10:19 am

Anyone else just check out the Kings box score now to see what Barnes and Buddy did? Couldn’t care less abt anyone else’s numbers at this point…

Kangz_Landing
March 5, 2021 11:18 am
Reply to  Gregoryl

They need to trade Buddy ASAP. This might be the hottest stretch he’ll have this season.

Coming off the break, knowing him he might be ice cold.

Mephariel
March 6, 2021 12:58 pm
Reply to  Kangz_Landing

I agree with this.

March 5, 2021 10:21 am

The article starts off with this.

For nearly a month now we’ve been hearing talk about the Boston Celtics being interested in Sacramento Kings forward Harrison Barnes.

We’ve heard this many times already. Why don’t we hold off on any more articles until we hear something new and reliable.

March 5, 2021 10:27 am

come on.

Marty
March 5, 2021 10:28 am
Reply to  Want-to-be-gm

Scalabrine works for Celtics TV. This is the equivalent of Kayte going on and saying the Kings want to tank. It’s a story, and unfortunately it’s also another great example of what we lack here in town with our sports media.

March 5, 2021 11:25 am
Reply to  Want-to-be-gm

Posts seven comments in thread / does not think it’s worth discussing.

March 5, 2021 12:24 pm

It’s been written many times, so it’s worth discussing but what’s new besides another person saying the same thing. It’s kind of like another article on Dedmon. You recall how well you’ve did with that. Of course you’re more qualified than Kayte Hunter because you’ve played the game and coached it at a high level.

March 5, 2021 12:29 pm

(8)

Last edited 1 month ago by RobHessing
March 5, 2021 1:46 pm

Every once in awhile in needs to know he has the same 10 people following him.

March 5, 2021 1:49 pm

March 5, 2021 1:52 pm
Reply to  Want-to-be-gm

Watching your recent performance here, I can see why the remaining posters at StR are able to bat you around like a cat toy.

March 5, 2021 2:02 pm

Dedmon walking.

March 5, 2021 2:31 pm

seems like he isn’t wanted on either site

March 5, 2021 5:54 pm
Reply to  MidtownMike

mindless suck ass who can’t think for himself.

March 5, 2021 5:52 pm

If you’ve seen what’s left at Str that’s a compliment. You’d do well there. I was hoping that site survived because I like the writers and I want them to succeed. I didn’t post until this pandemic in a desperate search for entertainment but I noticed the remaining guys keep mentioning this jerk otis. Now I know who they are referring to, the guy who’s never dribbled a basketball but claims to be Phil Jackson.

March 5, 2021 6:07 pm
Reply to  Want-to-be-gm

Otis isn’t the jerk. I’m the jerk!

(it’s true)

March 5, 2021 9:17 pm
Reply to  Want-to-be-gm

I didn’t post until this pandemic in a desperate search for entertainment

My god, now I feel bad making fun of you. There’s been no greater cry for help posted on this website.

March 6, 2021 11:34 am

From your friends at Str

I can’t stand Otis, Greg etc and will rec any post blasting them on that site
What a world this blogging. Thank god it appears high school basketball and AAU will resume shortly.

March 6, 2021 1:51 pm

OH NOES

9sac8
March 7, 2021 12:28 am

Damn. 16 down votes.

Here’s 17.

eddie41
March 5, 2021 10:28 am

What would happen if the roles were reversed? Headlines around the nba: The Kings want (insert name)!

ArcoThunder
March 5, 2021 1:02 pm

what happens? nothing. no one gives a shit what player the kings might want except for us.

Kangz_Landing
March 5, 2021 1:10 pm

“Kings interested in LeBron James”

“Commissioner Adam Silver has fined the Kings for idiotic tampering.”

PhutureKings
March 5, 2021 10:29 am

I do that deal asap if it’s on the table and I think McNair does as well. There’s no reason not pull the trigger unless owners are still trying to make the playoffs, which is folly at this point.

reydarly
March 5, 2021 11:10 am

We trade Barnes and then draft Barnes. You heard it here first.

Kangz_Landing
March 5, 2021 1:03 pm
Reply to  reydarly

I think you mean keep Bagley and draft Bagley.

March 5, 2021 5:24 pm
Reply to  Kangz_Landing

Saving money on uniforms, press releases, locker labels. That’s just good business!

9sac8
March 7, 2021 12:32 am
Reply to  Kangz_Landing

We fire Luke, then fire Bill.

SexyNapear
March 5, 2021 11:16 am

Not convinced they will trade Barnes, unless Monte has decided to do full-scale teardown, but that has DEFINITELY not ever been a Vivek strategy. I think he stays, which would be a clear sign who’s still in charge

March 5, 2021 1:34 pm
Reply to  SexyNapear

I’ve not seen anything suggesting a goal other than a teardown since McNair took over. If he had traded for or signed Barnes, then moving HB would be a change of direction. This only seems like another step along the path chosen.

March 5, 2021 11:49 am
Reply to  deepshot22

Not surprising. Any GM worth his weight in salt knows Bagley’s limitations. It would need to be a team that really thinks they can develop him, and I’m guessing there are zero that think they can.

March 5, 2021 11:54 am

The entire reason any team would trade for him is because they think they could get him for peanuts. Which, of course, means the Kings would have no incentive to move him.

March 5, 2021 12:22 pm

Check out this monstrosity:
I managed to beat my old fake trade record of -22 wins for the Kings.

March 5, 2021 12:24 pm

Also LOL on the Rockets +18 with that poo poo platter

PlayoffModeT
March 5, 2021 12:27 pm

How did you get the image so clear? When i select the image icon on the bottom right, mine was super crappy.

Tate, Nunn, and a First? Sign me up yesterday lol

March 5, 2021 12:45 pm
Reply to  PlayoffModeT

I use an image sharing site (https://imgbb.com/). I upload the image onto that site, then copy and paste the url into the comment. I’m sure there’s an easier way to do it, but I’m not what you’d call “computer savvy.”

PlayoffModeT
March 5, 2021 12:59 pm

Thanks! I appreciate it

March 5, 2021 1:40 pm

I’m reading this as us trading four okay guys and a likely lottery pick for six okay guys and a first-rounder that’s all-but a second-rounder.

Bagley still has a higher ceiling than anyone that we’d get back. Leonard would be a decent get, but it seems like it would be possible to get him without a scheme this complicated.

Mike120
March 5, 2021 4:19 pm

I threw up in my mouth a little.

March 5, 2021 4:35 pm
Reply to  Mike120

Keep in mind, I really just like seeing the obscene win projections. Although, I do think Wood/Bagley would be a weird duo I’d like to see. And Nwaba is just a guy Ive always wanted on the Kings.

ArcoThunder
March 5, 2021 1:05 pm

I read a badly written article the other day from toronto. Some Raptors Fans think Nick Nurse can make Bagley a star. Just sayin… Call Toronto Monte!!

Kangz_Landing
March 5, 2021 1:08 pm
Reply to  ArcoThunder

I mean, if Bagley did go to Toronto or Golden State or Miami or San Antonio the media would have a field day about how they can turn him into something.

I’d have blind confidence too if I turned Van Vleet, Siakam, and 2nd to undrafted dudes into a championship roster.

Marty
March 5, 2021 12:24 pm
Reply to  deepshot22

Sam Amick and Jason Jones of The Athletic reported Friday that Bagley, the second overall pick in the 2018 draft, is “up for discussion in trade talks,” but the Kings have struggled to find interested suitors.

Translation: Let’s prepare the fans for when we have to trade him for peanuts.

Carl
March 5, 2021 12:26 pm

Yeah, that statement doesn’t make any sense. You can almost certainly deal Bagley for a second and dead salary. If you’re trying to get any value, then yeah sure, no one is interested. (I can’t read the article, so don’t know what it actually says.)

Marty
March 5, 2021 1:24 pm
Reply to  Carl

The FO just threw him under the bus. Maybe it’s payback for pops throwing them under the bus so many times.

Last edited 1 month ago by Marty Marty
Carl
March 6, 2021 11:07 am

I mean, I think Bagley’s play threw him under the bus.

Bbmuteman
March 5, 2021 12:38 pm

The article said due to his struggles the last two years. I mean, that suggests injury history and not his talent or lack of it, no?

I mean, I’m all on board for young guys and picks only like you, but it’s just better to suck with him on the team and see if he can redeem any of his value for trading in the offseason or keeping if he’s good towards the end. No sense in trading him for nothing.

Bkroo96
March 5, 2021 11:28 am

Do that deal! Yesterday. HB is worth young players and a first rounder. We can tank and get another first rounder.

PlayoffModeT
March 5, 2021 11:41 am

I’m not the biggest fan of Robert Williams but I would do this if it meant less Cojo.

Screenshot_20210305-113846_Samsung Internet.jpg