Articles | Breaking News | Injury News

Marvin Bagley diagnosed with right foot strain, will miss remainder of season

Terrible news for Marvin Bagley and the Sacramento Kings.

Marvin Bagley suffered a vaguely reported right foot injury in practice on Sunday after landing awkwardly on a teammate while trying to secure a rebound. The Sacramento Kings announced that Bagley would be undergoing an MRI to determine the severity of the injury, and finally released the results of that MRI in a press release on Tuesday evening.

During an intra-squad scrimmage on July 19, Kings forward Marvin Bagley III sustained a right foot injury. Evaluation of his MRI results by a foot specialist today confirmed a lateral right foot sprain. The team has decided to hold Bagley III out for the remainder of the season. He is expected to make a full recovery.

It goes without saying, but this is terrible news for both Marvin Bagley and the Sacramento Kings. Bagley has suffered numerous relatively minor injuries throughout his two-year career, and that injury-rehab-return-injury-rehab-return cycle can certainly take its toll, both physically and mentally.

The Kings did note that Bagley is supposed to make a full recovery, and we can probably assume this injury won't impact his status for next season, so if you're searching for optimism, I found you some there.

With regards to the Kings and the Orlando restart, losing Bagley will hurt, but with Alex Len finally joining the team in Orlando, and Richaun Holmes out of league-mandated quarantine, and Harry Giles playing well, the Kings should be able to patch together a serviceable frontcourt rotation in Bagley's absence.

The key to the Kings' success moving forward without Marvin Bagley will be the availability of Harrison Barnes. Barnes tested positive for COVID-19 during the NBA's initial round of testing, and hasn't been cleared to join the Kings in Orlando yet. The Kings do expect Barnes to join them at some point, but it's already July 21st, and the Kings play their first scrimmage against the Miami Heat on Wednesday night.

Oldest
Newest Most Voted
King4life
Comments
Comments
July 21, 2020 5:56 pm

Bagley’s going to end up playing less games in his King’s career than Giles which is pretty impressive considering Giles sat out his entire rookie season.

Someone on Reddit referred to Marvin as Bagley III-IV weeks and thats what I’ll be referring to him as from now on.

Slowstuff
July 21, 2020 6:30 pm
Reply to  King4life

Yeah I was thinking about that. Though it seems every “minor” injury to Giles balloons out for weeks.

Kangz_Landing
July 21, 2020 5:58 pm

Well the 76ers made it through Joel Embiid’s 1st two years so why can’t we? I’m just grasping at straws now with this team. Don’t think we even have anymore straws. I blame Caron Butler.

Last edited 2 years ago by Kangz_Landing
Amonk81
Comments
Comments
July 21, 2020 6:02 pm

i

1951
July 21, 2020 6:03 pm

Facts only:

Luka will end the season with more triple doubles than Bagley has games played.

RandyBreuersNeckHair
July 21, 2020 7:27 pm

And more triple doubles than total Bustley assists.

Splendid job, Vlade. Well done.

4on5
Comments
Comments
July 22, 2020 7:30 am

To be fair, Bagley’s assists should go up when they draft another big man and move Bagley to his natural position of small forward.

jdwhit
Comments
Comments
July 22, 2020 2:09 pm
Reply to  4on5

Vlade is watching the Nuggets right now like “if Bol Bol can play the 3, then so can Marvin!”

July 21, 2020 7:52 pm

Don’t break down what each of them makes per played game.

Amonk81
Comments
Comments
July 21, 2020 6:05 pm

Damn. Accidental blank post. Meant to write€”-
Could easily argue the Kings are better without Bags on the floor. Vlade and the pick are a catastrophe.

cbrody
July 21, 2020 8:59 pm
Reply to  Amonk81

They were 2-11 when Bagley played this season and by any measurable statistic they are worse when he is on the floor. I think it’s safe to say they are better without him. Which is insane when you are talking about a guy who went #2 in the draft a year ago and a team that can barely win 40% of their games, but here we are.

July 22, 2020 1:06 pm
Reply to  cbrody

I do believe that this improves the Kings chances of making the playoffs this season, but it’s fair to say these are super small sample sizes (300 minutes or so).

July 21, 2020 6:05 pm

He’s making Pervis Ellison look like AC Green.

July 21, 2020 6:56 pm

My wife makes me feel like AC Green!

July 21, 2020 7:54 pm

Heh-heh-heh.

MiseryLovesCompany
July 21, 2020 6:08 pm

Well rotations just got a bit simpler…..
Good luck next year Glassly…..

ZillersCat
July 21, 2020 6:24 pm

That’s Mr Glass.

July 21, 2020 6:11 pm

Sigh. I’m numb at this point. I’ve never rooted against Bagley and wanted him to succeed, but the injury-prone body and the lack of a major step forward in his second (albeit short) season have gotten me to the point where I would be shocked if he really became a really good player. I’m just not seeing it happening, which is why I’m just numb.

The burden that will follow him for the rest of his time with the Kings will forever be one of the top, if not the top, blunders of this organization drafting him at Pick #2 ahead of what is looking like extremely solid picks after him. And I have no faith this organization will develop him to his potential.

Last edited 2 years ago by Klam
bjax1
July 21, 2020 6:16 pm

I’m bummed – for the Kings and Marvin. You can’t predict injuries and his have been pretty fluky. Hopefully he gets his bad luck injuries out of the way and returns healthy next year. Would have loved to see him get at least an 8 game run this season though. Feel for him.

Get well!

TheKingsGuard
July 21, 2020 8:33 pm

What’s most sad is the Kings have had the luck and good breaks to rebuild. The opportunities were no brainer moves and we overthought them. Let IT walk, pass on Luka, bone-headed trades, etc etc. So many examples of self-inflicted mismanagement that I’ve become numb too. I felt nothing about it. I told my wife tonight about MBIII-IV being out the rest of the season and she said, “Is he even gonna make it in the NBA?” I had to ponder that thought and realized I can’t confidently answer that question.

SharkKing
July 21, 2020 6:15 pm

I still can’t understand why Vlade took Bagley over Luka. With any other team, this mistake would have cost the GM their job. But with Vivek, he gets a 4 year extension.

July 21, 2020 6:26 pm
Reply to  TonyXypteras

Hired/fired both Joerger & Brandon Williams. Never had a winning season. Gets a four year extension. Kangz!

July 21, 2020 6:30 pm

Fired the coach that got a system in place that actually played to the players’ strengths, increased the pace of play, and a 12 game win improvement.

Takes till July the following year for the next coach to say “we’re working on playing fast.”

…..

TheKingsGuard
July 21, 2020 8:35 pm

Utter mismanagement and incompetence.

Necovek
July 22, 2020 8:24 am

Look at the bright side, Kings are still in it in July 😀

Iyuman
July 21, 2020 6:16 pm

Now, this is just frustrating as fuck.

I know he’s only 21, but the early returns are disappointing. He’s shown us that he’s (1) an injury-prone big with wasted potential and (2) a high-end bench player that can’t start due to his defensive shortcomings.

Fuck Vlade.

July 21, 2020 6:35 pm
Reply to  Iyuman

Typically, if a big is having foot problems so consistently at this early age, it’s likely to follow him the rest of his career.

Last edited 2 years ago by Klam
July 21, 2020 8:38 pm

Sorry you disliked this comment, Daddy Bags.

G-naps
July 21, 2020 8:52 pm

Imagine how busy Daddy Bags is on twitter

Iyuman
July 21, 2020 6:21 pm

Another negative: this gives Harry Giles more of a chance to show out.

With everyone tuning in, he’ll get more than what the Kings can offer him.

I’m happy for Harry for the opportunity, but damn the Kings fucked up by not picking up his optionm

TheEffortPolice
Comments
Comments
July 21, 2020 9:11 pm
Reply to  Iyuman

I can’t believe this is even a thing.

I might be more mad about that than not picking Luka. Because while it won’t be the most damaging thing to the franchise ever done by a Kings GM, the sheer stupidity of their thought processes and the conclusions they drew with Giles’ options.

Like my brain cannot comprehend how it’s a thing that Vlade can’t navigate something as trivial as rookie scale contract options with effing it up.

July 22, 2020 8:38 am

I think they didn’t feel like Harry took his NBA career seriously enough. But this organization is so poorly run that literally nobody else believes in any decision they make even if they happen to be correct on a particular decision.

The reality is I think the Giles era would have ended poorly either way. Either he didn’t show enough to the organization to get on the court more or they didn’t pick up his option and it looks like they are incompetent.

Until this organization gets that their status quo will literally never breed any sort of belief in them, until they actually show real continued sustained success, we’ll continue going back and forth on this IMO.

Last edited 2 years ago by Kingsguru21
July 22, 2020 10:09 am

This is a good point. The franchise may well be handling the Giles situation appropriately, but it’s really hard to give them the benefit of the doubt.

July 22, 2020 3:43 pm

I think the issue is that this:

they didn’t feel like Harry took his NBA career seriously enough.

Runs contrary to pretty much every other assessment of Giles we’ve ever heard. Aside from one odd comment about his conditioning all we’ve ever heard is that he’s exceptionally hard working. So no, the Kings won’t get the benefit of the doubt because they’ve never earned it, but they’re also doing and saying things that go against the general consensus. Which is fine. You just derned well better be right. Morey, for example, keeps bucking conventional wisdom, but keeps putting out a winning product.

AmphibiousHandle
July 22, 2020 8:53 am
Reply to  Iyuman

I’ll wager you $50, payable to Loaves and Fishes, that he doesn’t get a contract that exceeds what the Kings can offer on a per year basis. I made some money for them making the same bet against WCS’s free agent contract and I’m happy to do some more good here.

July 22, 2020 9:12 am

I’ll be very surprised if Harry gets more than a minimum 1 year deal from other teams.

July 22, 2020 10:10 am

The only problem with gambling on that is that I haven’t the slightest clue what free agency is going to look like next season (or the cap, for that matter).

In an alternate universe, I think Giles could have played himself into some money, depending on whether the Kings were actually letting him on the floor.

AmphibiousHandle
July 22, 2020 10:31 am

Here’s a list of free agent centers. Even if Giles played great down the stretch here, he’s probably not a top 10 unrestricted free agent at his position, particularly given his injury history. Putting aside the prospect of a drop in the cap, he wouldn’t have warranted much more than a minimum deal even with a stretch of inspired play.

July 22, 2020 1:01 pm

Yeah, I’m not sure that’s correct. But obviously, it’s a weird world now.

I’m not saying he’d be getting big dollar offers, but I don’t think he’d be withering on the vine either (disclaimer again: this assumes he’s getting a decent amount of run down the stretch of the regular season).

AmphibiousHandle
July 22, 2020 3:41 pm

Do you have a comp in mind from the last year or two in FA that at all supports the position he’d be getting $3-4 million per in guaranteed money? I’m struggling to think of one. Plus, as mentioned, Giles is sui generis because I’m guessing there’s a large percentage of the league that probably wouldn’t touch him b/c of the injuries.

July 22, 2020 4:30 pm

Given the market this summer will be unpredictable, but just last summer Zubac got 3/21 and Looney got 3/14.5. Zubac was the same age as Giles. Looney was 1 year older. Their stat lines are pretty similar with each having their advantages and disadvantages. All have significant injury histories.

I’m not saying Giles will get a lot. I’m not going to pretend to know. What I do think is that 1 year/$4MM is an extremely low risk investment for the chance to maintain team control over a high upside, young prospect for a team desperate for the type of playmaking upside Giles has shown flashes of possessing.

Last edited 2 years ago by BestHyperboleEver
AmphibiousHandle
July 23, 2020 8:54 am

Zubac is an interesting one, thanks. His numbers are a bit better but I forgot he got paid so much. Lumping those guys together by saying they all have “significant injury histories” is creating a false equivalency as far as Giles is concerned. I also think you guys are overrating Giles’ rare flashes in terms of how that establishes his market value. My charity wager offer stands if you think Giles gets $4 million or whatever the room exception ends up being from another team.

July 23, 2020 11:37 am

To play apples to apples, Zubac played 102 NBA games and 1450 NBA minutes in the 2 seasons before signing his deal. Giles has played 96 and 1399 minutes. Assuming Giles plays all 8 remaining games and gets 15-ish minutes a game in each, he would be at 104 games and 1519 minutes. For full disclosure, if we want to include them Zubac also played 14 G-league games (419 minutes) in that time frame. Where Giles played 4 games (91 minutes).

That said, I wouldn’t say Zubac’s pre-contract numbers were better. Here’s the comparison. He had slight advantages in rebounding and blocks. Giles had advantage in assists and steals. The only differences that are more than negligible percentage points is Giles assists and Zubac’s shooting percentage. But if we look closer, Zubac shot 62% of his shots within 3 feet (shooting 65% on those). While only 26% of Giles shots this year have come in that range (making 83%).

Ultimately, I’m not really arguing that Giles will get a lot of money. I wouldn’t be at all surprised if his market ends up being less the $4MM per. I just think that even in the case that it is, the Kings like made a mistake by giving up team control. Even if he gets league minimum (yes, I’m confident he’ll get an NBA deal), which as far as I can tell for Giles would be just over $1.5MM per season, I would argue simply retaining team control over a young player with upside is well worth paying an extra $2MM or so.

July 22, 2020 11:34 am

How much do you really think a guy is worth who is averaging 7 & 4 Otis? I realize his passing adds another element, but how confident are you running the Kings offense through Giles at this point?

July 22, 2020 1:00 pm

I wouldn’t see it as an analysis so much of his statistical output (for a pretty dumb franchise), as his skillset and potential. And again, this is considering he was getting minutes down the stretch of the season.

Maybe in our new environment, his upside doesn’t get him a sniff in FA, but I’m not sure it wouldn’t have in a normal world.

HandOfTheKings
July 21, 2020 6:23 pm

Sucks for Marvin, but he’s still so young and the upside is still so high that I still can’t count him out. Call me overly optimistic, stupid, delusional, whatever have you. But coming from a guy who was in shambles for months after we passed on Luka, I still have faith in Bags. (You’re right I might be a stupid, delusional, overly optimistic d-bag.)

Truth is that I’m kind of unphased by this. I’m excited to watch the team that was trending upwards when the season got cut short and Marvin was obviously not part of that. I wanna see the guys who were playing great basketball to keep excelling in those roles and prove their worth for our next season. I truly feel that a healthy Marvin for this 8 game sprint would’ve hindered that a bit. And that isn’t a shot at Bagley at all.

A little off topic, but I just feel like there’s been little to no Bjelly talk on the boards, by the press or the coaching staff. Am I missing something or am I the only one that likes the dude?

July 21, 2020 6:33 pm
Reply to  HandOfTheKings

There was an article on Bjelica here a week ago today.

HandOfTheKings
July 21, 2020 7:08 pm

Just found it. Thanks dude!

July 21, 2020 7:56 pm
Reply to  HandOfTheKings

No problemo. To your point, it’s either him or Hield for Kings POY. Fox is the best player but has played 19 fewer games than those guys.

July 22, 2020 7:18 am

De’Aaron is the best. Watch yo mouf!

July 21, 2020 7:06 pm

I really don’t get why some in Kings media have this obsession with a few randos that who personally attack Bagley. I’ll go through their tweets, and like 99% of the replies are either positive or realistic about the growing body of evidence pointing to the real possibility that Bagley’s body and playing style make him prone to injury.

If I was more cynical I’d think it was a ploy to build favor with Bagley’s camp or certain members of the Kings front office.

1951
July 21, 2020 8:01 pm

Matt George feels seen!

July 21, 2020 8:28 pm

I saw 3 prominent members of Kings twitter/media pretend like a significant percentage of Kings fans were blaming the injury on Bagley’s musical interests.

July 21, 2020 11:05 pm

It gives them “cause” to defend him and this FO, it seems. It’s funny, because the appetite to strongly defend draft picks from mean comments didn’t seem to be there when it came to guys like PapaG, WCS or Stauskas.

4on5
Comments
Comments
July 22, 2020 7:45 am

When you don’t want to talk about something, setting up a straw man several blocks away from what’s relevant and fighting over there is move of many PR people and a frequent crutch of the media in Sacramento that receives salaries directly or indirectly from the Kings. When people at different media partners prop up the same and fairly obscure straw man on the same day, they: (1) might have received some talking points from the Kings; or (2) have the same distorted view of what most people actually think and talk about based upon their social media use / what they seek out in those spaces with the search function. I think it’s the latter.

TheEffortPolice
Comments
Comments
July 21, 2020 8:56 pm

I imagine Matt George is a little salty because last year he made this:

July 21, 2020 9:13 pm

lol he needs to do a follow-up called €œGot Egg on my Face€ to the tune of Amazing Grace.

ZillersCat
July 21, 2020 9:33 pm

Last edited 2 years ago by ZillersCat
July 21, 2020 10:49 pm

Hahaha, that didn’t age well.

Ouch, I laughed so hard I think I strained my foot.

July 22, 2020 6:58 am

Nothing says “small market” more than Matt George’s continued presence in Kings’ media.

TheEffortPolice
Comments
Comments
July 22, 2020 2:13 pm

In all honesty, I think the 2018 draft (among other things) was a breaking point, and a lot of the Kings fanbase stopped acting “small market”.

That is, we’re having fun doing the wave at games and swallowing whatever the FO tells us! We love everyone; it’s okay if you’re a bust, we have hope for our future!

The Kings local media members just seem to want to talk about our bust of a prospect and how his and our fortunes can change. Ignore this other guy in the background; he’s great and all but Marvin is our guy and we talk KINGS basketball. I think they’re a bit baffled by the fanbase’s increased mean streak.

July 23, 2020 9:23 am

I honestly don’t think the media are baffled. I think they know to keep their jobs they have to stay on point. It’s just the collective anger is making it much harder than it used to be to stay on message. Or it results in a personal favorite phrase of mine: ‘What the fans don’t understand……blah blah blah.’

I just tune local media out. It’s the only way.

July 22, 2020 6:55 am

This is a Kayte special… she’ll find a random odious comment then debate it like it’s the general opinion of Kings fans.

And if Kings fans are considered stupid (generally), she can look down her nose at all of them – and bust out the “what the fans don’t understand” nonsense.

Grant used the same philosophy for years on his radio show.

July 22, 2020 7:22 am

Not to put too fine a point on it, but Grant would still be around if he had been smart enough to keep his mouth shut. Apparently he thought he was bullet proof which is a good lesson to learn at 60, I suppose.

Ahahahahaha. That shit will always make me laugh. Dumbass got fired for a political opinion that he couldn’t properly support.

I don’t know whether to laugh or cry that this was the most well known member of Sacramento media.

July 22, 2020 10:13 am

I was always surprised Napear didn’t get himself fired years ago, he always seemed on the edge of saying something stupid. But for the most part, he kept his bigotry subtle enough to keep himself employed.

Still crazy to me that DeMarcus is the one that got him.

July 22, 2020 11:35 am

The DeMarcus element just makes it that much more funny. I’ll never stop laughing at that.

BeTheBall
July 21, 2020 7:22 pm

Hopefully he recovers in time to be ready for the start of the ’21-’22 season.

Carl
July 21, 2020 10:26 pm
Reply to  BeTheBall

I see what you did there…

Insert Rob’s DeNiro GIF here.

G-naps
July 21, 2020 7:34 pm

At least he wants to be in Sacramento.

Sigh…..#HereWeBillboard

TheEffortPolice
Comments
Comments
July 21, 2020 8:59 pm
Reply to  G-naps

No he doesn’t.

He just wanted to get drafted as high as he could go. It’s the bigger salary and the boon to his brand he would get that made him pay that lip service to Vlade.

ScottyPop
July 21, 2020 10:46 pm

Seems to have worked out well for both parties.

July 21, 2020 7:39 pm

This may be beneficial to the team for this short remainder of the season, but damn – two years into his rookie contract are gone. They need to see this guy on the floor a lot to make some decisions about the future of this roster.

July 21, 2020 9:21 pm

Yep, as of now, assuming they pick up his options, they have him on a 2/20 deal before having to deal with a $15MM QO and a $30MM cap gold.

July 22, 2020 7:26 am

Why is the cap hold a talking point? Why do you people keep bringing this up? (Ahem, I’m talking to you Smits.) Could you explain?

I’m genuinely confused why talking about cap holds are a thing. And I’ve been confused about this for quite awhile.

July 22, 2020 10:14 am

I wonder if cap holds will be more of a thing now, but I have no idea how the financial side of the NBA is going to shake out longer term.

July 22, 2020 11:03 am

The only point of cap holds is to keep teams from circumventing the cap when they are under the cap. That’s it.

It literally has no impact on salary of a player. Y’all realize that, right?

That’s why I’m so goddamn confused. And I should be fair: Tim Maxwell, Rob, are also guilty of doing just that.

What is y’all’s obsession with cap holds? What do you think they are actually for? I can’t state it enough: I do not get why cap holds are ever part of a discussion unless you are discussing how much functional cap space a team has. That’s the only time it literally matters.

July 22, 2020 1:48 pm

It has no impact on Bagley’s salary, but it does impact the team’s ability to utlilize its cap space, either via trades or signings, to add other talent.

July 22, 2020 3:29 pm

Then shouldn’t that be filed under the talent acquisition portion? Not under how much money you’re paying Bagley?

I don’t understand how they are connected. Especially since all cap holds are — FOR THE LAST TIME — a cap circumvention tool.

I find this logic very confusing. I’m guessing I’m not getting an answer today. Not that I expected that I would, but I guess I’m going to continue to be amused by this line of logic.

July 22, 2020 3:46 pm

I think you’re under the mistaken impression that nobody else understands what cap holds mean.

July 22, 2020 4:49 pm

Nope, that ain’t it. As a matter of fact, of all the things one could file under capology, I would say cap holds are among the best things understood about capology. Especially around here.

What I don’t understand is why so many continue to believe they are a part of asset valuation.

Last edited 2 years ago by Kingsguru21
July 22, 2020 4:52 pm

How much you’re paying Bagley (or any other player) and elements such as cap holds directly influence talent acquisition. As such they play a key role in decision making, planning, and in how a team values a player.

It isn’t confusing. It’s just looking at team/roster building holistically.

July 22, 2020 5:17 pm

Of course how much you pay Bagley influences both talent acquisition and asset valuation. Why would that be in dispute?

But cap holds have nothing to do with either of those things. Cap holds are…..what they are. Nothing more nothing less. All they are is a cap circumvention tool. They exist to keep teams from signing other players in FA before resigning their own FA’s. That’s the point of a cap hold.

It really has very little to do with anything unless you’re planning on making a serious run at FA’s which this team has clearly struck out on multiple years. And functional cap space is important, a factor included is cap holds, and, usually, how many low salary players you have on your roster.

I’ve never seen an instance where a cap hold changed the value of a player either to that player’s team or another team. It just doesn’t matter.

July 21, 2020 11:03 pm

Yes and no. He had lots of time to work on his game, and he likely will have plenty of more time until next season.
It should take no more than 10-15 games to established whether he has made sufficient strides or not.

• if not, cut bait.
  • if he cannot play 15 games consecutively, cut bait.
  • if he shows glimpses, you keep evaluating.

But here’s the rub; do you want this FO to make that evaluation? Or to be the ones to trade him away?

I wish I could be like Tom Ziller; walk away from this team.
Perhaps hop on some bandwagon. I admire Luka, like Carlisle and have started to develop some grudging respect or Cuban and how he takes on people like Ted Cruz on twitter.

Or maybe hope that Deni Avdija ends up on the Warriors.

HongKongKingsFan
July 22, 2020 2:22 am

A bit off topic, may I know how good Deni Avdija will be ?

(from NBA draft.net that his NBA Comparison would be Hedo Turkoglu , which that website also said the NBA Comparison for Doncic would also be Hedo)
So, if we trade Bagley + future 1st round pick for Deni Avdija, should we do that trade to compensate the failure of not getting Luka, and hope Deni can turn into Doncic II ?

July 22, 2020 6:07 am

Keep in mind that it’s a relatively weak draft, but I think he should be picked anywhere between #4 and #9.

Comparing Avdija to Luka is lazy, and is not doing Avdija any favors, as he is not close to Luka. Luka is a true point-forward, Avdija is much more of a secondary playmaker. The Hedo comparisons are better.

Avdija is bigger than Luka, doesn’t mind banging in the post, bxces out and goes after rebounds and is okay on D. He is not bad athletically and has decent straight speed, but lacks the strength to be good against strong NBA bigs and lacks the lateral speed to stay with the really athletic wings. Knows how to position himself and plays excellent help D.

High BBIQ, good court vision and decent handles for a guy his size. Willing and intelligent passer, sometimes a bit sloppy. Most of the times, even when his shot isn’t falling, Deni will find ways to contribute.

His biggest red flag is subpar FT shooting, but i think his shot looks pretty clean and if he can become a consistent shooter from outside, he can be a real contributor in this league. I am not sure Avdija has the tools to create his own shot consistently in the NBA, but he’s a smart player.

HongKongKingsFan
July 22, 2020 6:47 am

Thanks so much for the detailed scouting report……
Divac should ask for your opinion and just follow your pick would made this team an instant playoff team

This Avdija looks attractive to the Kings, as you said, he has high BBIQ, which we really need, indeed.

July 22, 2020 6:34 am

Hedo is a much better comp than Doncic. I like Avdija, but I wouldn’t trade a future 1st to go get him. I may consider trading Bagley plus this years 1st. This is the unusual draft where a present pick is less valuable that a future pick IMO.

That said, I’d probably rather just see if Avdija falls (highly unlikely) and if he doesn’t then trade down and target Bolmaro if we want a playmaking wing.

HongKongKingsFan
July 22, 2020 6:50 am

I agree that there is no way Avdija falls………

Trading Bagley plus this years 1st draft pick for “Hedo” would be really interesting……

Hedo can almost do everything on court……and like I said above, adding another high BBIQ player is much needed for this team.

Ialmostmissthemaloofs
July 22, 2020 9:02 am

Just the thought of trading away our #2 overall AND ANOTHER 1st round pick essentially to get rid of that #2 overall pick and try to replace him with “Hedo” is mind breaking to me. That right there just screams that we need an entirely new front office.

July 22, 2020 9:19 am

True.
But would you trade Bagley straight up (or with a 2nd round pick attached) for Avdija?
I am biased, but I would do that in a heartbeat.

July 22, 2020 10:18 am

Absolutely.

Chent
July 22, 2020 7:44 am

I think I would consider trading next year’s pick lottery protected, and it rolls over to next year same protections, if it doesnt convey turns into 2 second rounders. A pick at 15 or later is not as important imo as getting a player who seems to be a very good player and who would be a great fit on this team. I know next years draft is a lot stronger, but as long as we protect it I dont see how a pick at 15 is as valuable as Avdija. Of course, someone would have to agree to that trade, but maybe I would go as low as top 10 protections.

There is one trade idea I thought of, typically this would never be worthwhile for the other team but considering this draft has no identifiable stars, I dont know if this is outlandish. the Warriors have a 2 year window to try to win another championship. the trade is below:

Barnes+Holmes+this years pick to Warriors for Wiggins and their first pick.

July 22, 2020 9:13 am
Reply to  Chent

I’d probably want more protections than that and yeah, I wouldn’t be surprised at all if there were Avdija level prospects available outside the lottery next season. There just aren’t really any prospects this year that I think are worthy of giving up future picks anywhere in the top 20 or so.

Honestly, I’m so down on this draft that I’d probably prefer the Wolves 2021 pick from the Warriors over this years’ pick. Now, if you really want to get Kangzy you make that Warriors trade, the pick ends up at 5 and Avdija is already gone. I mean, obviously you wouldn’t make the deal until you knew what you hand, but still.

Chent
July 22, 2020 10:05 am

Yea, I am down on this draft too, but just really feel Avdija may be worth that trade for the protected pick. Realistically, Warriors and Blazers will be fighting with us for the 8th seed next year, and I dont like our chances of being in the playoffs. Obviously, injuries play a huge factor in every teams fate using this years Ws and Blazers and examples, but I think Avdija is a pretty special fit.

But if that doesnt happen and we get a top 10 pick next year I will be exponentially more excited than our pick this year!