Articles | Podcasts

Kings Pulse: Preseason Game 1 Notes and What Else to Look for

We break down the Kings preseason win over the Phoenix Suns and discuss what else we want to see over the preseason contests.

Kings basketball is back!... kinda! With just one semi-meaningless preseason game in the books, Brenden and I discussed our thoughts on a ton of Kings topics, including:

• Our thoughts from the preseason win over the Phoenix Suns
  • What we hope to see in the remaining three preseason games
  • Haliburton's development, and the strength of the guard rotation moving forward
  • The challenge Luke Walton faces in figuring out his lineups verses playing more of the fringe roster players
  • Our specific thoughts on De'Aaron Fox, Buddy Hield, Harrison Barnes, and Marvin Bagley
  • The idea of the Kings as a Rorschach ink blot test (an idea I heard from Robby Kalland of Uproxx Sports) where you can realistically see as much optimism or pessimism in this roster as you expect or want to see

In addition, I couldn't let Brenden off the hook, and had to give him an appropriate amount of grief for his "I need to tell the world that Sacramento isn't part of the Bay Area" gaff from a few podcasts ago.

And finally, we end the podcast with the new Overtime segment - if you could talk to any animal, what would it be? Let us know your pick, and any thoughts you have on the Kings preseason in the comments; what do you hope to see over the next three games?

The Kings Pulse podcast is available on all major listening platforms.

October 6, 2021 11:48 am

I’d kind of like to know what dolphins think, and ask if they’ve seen a pair of swim goggles I lost when I was nineteen.

October 6, 2021 12:03 pm

I think I’d go with a dog. They seem pretty chill and I would probably never get into an argument with them. Cats are probably going to give you some kind of guilt trip or be condescending.

October 6, 2021 12:41 pm

I don’t imagine that anyone would actually be happy to know what a cat thinks.

October 6, 2021 1:11 pm

Andy, I’m not actually a cat. I’m just using a cat for my avatar.

And I already know you don’t care about what I think! 😛

October 6, 2021 2:49 pm

I honestly never noticed that! I’m sure that you’d make a great cat, but if I had to watch you eat wet cat food, you would have to stay in the garage.

October 6, 2021 11:58 am

A double feature! Great, just finished the Tony/Will/Jerry show…and now we get a second treat? Thank you guys!

The Sacramento Bay Area

October 6, 2021 12:10 pm

Welcome to Basketball Hella

catterj
October 6, 2021 12:03 pm

Brenden’s comments on icing empty corner pick and rolls was interesting. There is one such example in the clips from Brenden’s Twitter that are in the 3 takeaways article. It is the second play here though the third possession.

From what I know, employing drop against empty strong side corner PnR can lead to trouble due to the lack of a tagger on the big. The defending big would truly be one against two as long as the guard got screened halfway well. Against a popping big it could be a disaster with no stunter leading to a wide open shot from the offensive big.

In contrast to a drop which forces the ball handler to the middle, an ice sends the ball handler to the corner. Then the sideline/baseline can act as a sixth man defender. Against a pop, I think that might give an athletic ball handler an opportunity to make a move against their defender if the defending big is worried about their cover.

I would like to talk to a beaver. They’re kind of my spirit animal. Always working on their project, just mostly minding their own business.

October 6, 2021 12:45 pm
Reply to  catterj

Oh?

October 6, 2021 1:13 pm

October 6, 2021 1:20 pm

Haven’t listened to the podcast, but the next time Sac is part of the Bay Area will be the first time. They aren’t one and the same and never will be.

catterj
October 6, 2021 1:43 pm

Everyone agrees with you. That’s the thing.