fbpx
  • Dec. 11, 7:00 PM - BKN @ SAC ::
  • Dec. 12, 7:30 PM - SAC @ LAC ::
  • Dec. 14, 7:00 PM - OKC @ SAC ::
  • Dec. 16, 7:00 PM - UTA @ SAC ::
  • Dec. 18, 7:00 PM - GSW @ SAC ::
  • Dec. 20, 7:00 PM - BOS @ SAC ::
  • Dec. 22, 7:00 PM - PHX @ SAC ::
  • Dec. 23, 7:00 PM - MIN @ SAC ::
  • Dec. 26, 7:30 PM - POR @ LAC ::

    The Kings have until 11:59 PM ET tonight to match the Hawks offer to Bogdan Bogdanovic

    Monte McNair has the rest of the day to make his decision.
    By | 31 Comments | Nov 24, 2020

    Kimani Okearah

    We’re all learning a little something about restricted free agency as the Sacramento Kings work through their decision to either match the Atlanta Hawks’ 4-year, $72 million contract offer to Bogdan Bogdanovic, or let him leave the organization for nothing.

    It was common assumption that the Kings would have 48 hours to match Bogdanovic’s offer sheet with the clock starting the moment they received a copy of the contact. That isn’t actually how restricted free agency works, apparently.

    According to The New York Times’ Marc Stein, the Kings “get two full NBA business days to make the decision” which means the deadline for Monte McNair is actually tonight, November 24, at 11:59 PM ET.

     

    This extra time could be valuable for Monte McNair and the Sacramento Kings if they are working on any additional transactions that would make matching Bogdanovic’s contract offer any more or less desirable. We’ve often speculated about a Buddy Hield trade considering his less-than-favorable views of head coach Luke Walton and his role on the team last season. A potential Hield trade is just one example of something McNair could be working on where having several extra hours on the Bogdanovic clock might be helpful.

    It’s also entirely possible, if not likely, that the Kings have already made their decision on Bogdanovic, but will use this extra time to make the Atlanta Hawks wait as long as possible as healthy punishment for targeting one of their restricted free agents.

    We’ll keep you posted on whatever the Kings decide to do with Bogdan Bogdanovic, whenever they decide to do it, but now we know exactly when the deadline is.

    Patreon Membership
    * indicates required


    To prevent spam, our system flags comments that include too many hyperlinks. If you would like to share a comment with multiple links, make sure you email [email protected] for it to be approved.
    Subscribe
    Notify of
    31 Comments
    Oldest
    Newest Most Voted
    Inline Feedbacks
    View all comments
    RikSmits
    Patreon Supporter
    Comments
    Vote Up
    Original Member
    Patreon Supporter
    Comments
    Vote Up
    Original Member
    November 24, 2020 9:38 am

    comment image

    RobHessing
    Patreon Supporter
    Comments
    Vote Up
    Original Member
    Author
    Patreon Supporter
    Comments
    Vote Up
    Original Member
    Author
    November 24, 2020 10:39 am
    Reply to  RikSmits

    Bogged Down Bogdanovic.

    RikSmits
    Patreon Supporter
    Comments
    Vote Up
    Original Member
    Patreon Supporter
    Comments
    Vote Up
    Original Member
    November 24, 2020 11:49 am
    Reply to  RobHessing

    Begone Bogdanovic.

    Kingsguru21
    Comments
    Vote Up
    Original Member
    Patreon Supporter
    Comments
    Vote Up
    Original Member
    Patreon Supporter
    November 24, 2020 12:22 pm
    Reply to  RikSmits

    Impressive. You outRob’d Rob on that one.

    RobHessing
    Patreon Supporter
    Comments
    Vote Up
    Original Member
    Author
    Patreon Supporter
    Comments
    Vote Up
    Original Member
    Author
    November 24, 2020 12:31 pm
    Reply to  Kingsguru21

    That is nothing to be proud of, I assure you.

    andy_sims
    Vote Up
    Comments
    Original Member
    Patreon Supporter
    Vote Up
    Comments
    Original Member
    Patreon Supporter
    November 24, 2020 9:43 am

    I’m more on the fence than I was yesterday, but I’m still leaning toward pass. Nothing can be in writing, of course, but if McNair can secure a commitment from a trade partner and Bogdan, then sure, re-sign him. Same goes for Hield, but I’m sure that with his value depressed at the moment, the return will be underwhelming. I guess if you can get a late first-rounder and some expiring money, you just eat it and agree.

    We just can’t have this many guards when the season opens, particularly if there’s nothing in the works to relieve the logjam.

    ScottyPop
    Patreon Supporter
    Original Member
    Comments
    Vote Up
    Patreon Supporter
    Original Member
    Comments
    Vote Up
    November 24, 2020 9:44 am

    Damnit! I thought this was gonna be resolved in the next 20 minutes or so.

    Adamsite
    Patreon Supporter
    Comments
    Vote Up
    Original Member
    Nostradumbass 14
    Patreon Supporter
    Comments
    Vote Up
    Original Member
    Nostradumbass 14
    November 24, 2020 9:48 am

    I really don’t understand why they should wait until the final minute if they are simply going to let him walk. It seems petty. At this point I don’t see how it hurts ATL. It’s not like there are a ton of options for them in free agency anymore. Who else are they going to spend $18M on?

    andy_sims
    Vote Up
    Comments
    Original Member
    Patreon Supporter
    Vote Up
    Comments
    Original Member
    Patreon Supporter
    November 24, 2020 9:57 am
    Reply to  Adamsite

    No one today, and that’s the point.

    RobHessing
    Patreon Supporter
    Comments
    Vote Up
    Original Member
    Author
    Patreon Supporter
    Comments
    Vote Up
    Original Member
    Author
    November 24, 2020 9:57 am
    Reply to  Adamsite

    My guess is the Kings are still exploring all options, i.e. a Buddy deal. And given that the Kings are not really free agent buyers at the moment, they have no reason to expedite the process. Common courtesy went out the window with the Bucks deal.

    Kingsguru21
    Comments
    Vote Up
    Original Member
    Patreon Supporter
    Comments
    Vote Up
    Original Member
    Patreon Supporter
    November 24, 2020 9:59 am
    Reply to  RobHessing

    Atl also offered knowing the offer sheet to Bogi with an understanding that Sac would take the full time alloted to make a decision.

    The only thing that is new is that this has been closer to 62 hours of allowed match time than a strict 48. I’m curious as to why, but that’s about it. We all knew this was going to drag out.

    Last edited 3 years ago by Kingsguru21
    RobHessing
    Patreon Supporter
    Comments
    Vote Up
    Original Member
    Author
    Patreon Supporter
    Comments
    Vote Up
    Original Member
    Author
    November 24, 2020 10:06 am
    Reply to  RobHessing

    Also, Atlanta could have offered a pick or a prospect to make this a better deal for the Kings, but determined to go “take-it-or-leave-it.” The Kings don’t owe anyone any consideration on this one. Might as well take the full amount of time and see if anything shakes loose.

    NinjaFetus
    Comments
    Vote Up
    Comments
    Vote Up
    November 24, 2020 10:39 am
    Reply to  RobHessing

    Agreed, it has to be common knowledge across the league that the Kings aren’t competing next season even if they wanted to based on roster construction. I would think McNair was trying to come up with something that could be considered win-win for both but it looks like Atlanta went all in with a move intended to force a reaction. At this point, just drawing the decision out could be a message to Atlanta and others that yes the Kings are willing to deal and be partners but the days of being taken advantage of outright might be over.

    At least, that is my optimistic view.

    markdog333
    Patreon Supporter
    Comments
    Vote Up
    Patreon Supporter
    Comments
    Vote Up
    November 24, 2020 1:07 pm
    Reply to  NinjaFetus

    I am curious if there was any discussion between the teams in advance, and if so, how much Atlanta would have needed to offer to convince McNair to sign off. It is not like Atlanta’s offer was a surprise – the rough duration and amount was reported shortly after the proposed deal with Milwaukee was announced.

    Kant2020
    November 24, 2020 9:58 am
    Reply to  Adamsite

    Maybe McNair has a couple teams willing to trade for Buddy, but none of the teams are offering enough in return? If McNair is bent on trading Buddy and resigning Bogi, then I suppose McNair should draw it out in hopes that one of the teams gets nervous and offers more for Buddy. Of course this is pure speculation, so who knows?

    Last edited 3 years ago by Kant2020
    RobHessing
    Patreon Supporter
    Comments
    Vote Up
    Original Member
    Author
    Patreon Supporter
    Comments
    Vote Up
    Original Member
    Author
    November 24, 2020 9:51 am

    comment image

    SierraSpartan
    Original Member
    Vote Up
    Comments
    Original Member
    Vote Up
    Comments
    November 24, 2020 9:51 am

    I’m looking for the way for them to go 100% Kangz on this one, and I think I’ve got it.

    Monte and the Kings decide to match, but wait until the last minute to notify – and the “match” arrives at the NBA offices at one minute past midnight.

    RobHessing
    Patreon Supporter
    Comments
    Vote Up
    Original Member
    Author
    Patreon Supporter
    Comments
    Vote Up
    Original Member
    Author
    November 24, 2020 10:09 am
    Reply to  SierraSpartan

    They fax it in time (the Kings have got to still be using a fax machine, right?), but they use the wrong memory dial and it goes to Kaiser Permanente.

    Otis
    Patreon Supporter
    Comments
    Vote Up
    Original Member
    Patreon Supporter
    Comments
    Vote Up
    Original Member
    November 24, 2020 10:10 am
    Reply to  RobHessing

    /thrive’d

    arbexfernando
    Comments
    Vote Up
    Comments
    Vote Up
    November 24, 2020 10:17 am
    Reply to  SierraSpartan

    Full The Office scenario

    eddie41
    Comments
    Vote Up
    Patreon Supporter
    Comments
    Vote Up
    Patreon Supporter
    November 24, 2020 9:52 am

    I’m cool with most of the options because the Kings drafted Haliburton. Shanti shanti. …. (transcribed from some remote location where the internet connection cannot handle long threads)

    TimBurner619
    November 24, 2020 9:56 am

    I say let him walk and use that cap space later in the year to actually absorb other terrible contracts while collecting future draft picks if a true rebuild is what were headed for.

    Last edited 3 years ago by Tim Burner
    Kingsguru21
    Comments
    Vote Up
    Original Member
    Patreon Supporter
    Comments
    Vote Up
    Original Member
    Patreon Supporter
    November 24, 2020 10:04 am
    Reply to  TimBurner619

    Kings will have about 4.5 million in cap space this season if they don’t match. That’s tough to do. But for flexibility in 2021 and beyond, they have alot more space to work with.

    Last edited 3 years ago by Kingsguru21
    RAP87
    Comments
    Vote Up
    Comments
    Vote Up
    November 24, 2020 10:01 am

    While we are focusing on the idea that Mcnair could be using this time in trying to find a trade partner for Buddy. It might also be possible he’s trying to find a deal in place for CoJo or Barnes.

    It might be a far-fetched idea but I wouldn’t be surprised if one or both of Joseph and Barnes gets traded instead of Buddy. But we’ll see.

    Kant2020
    November 24, 2020 10:27 am
    Reply to  RAP87

    Hmm, this is interesting. But I think you are right that it seems less likely. We know that there is probably only room for a three man rotation out of Fox, Haliburton, Buddy, and Bogi, given that none play the forward spot. If all four are back then one has to be willing to play quite sparingly. I don’t see this happening. Fox and Haliburton can already be written in as two out of the three. It comes down to either Buddy or Bogi. We already know it isn’t feasible with Buddy. So assuming that we resign Bogi, then Buddy has to go. Trading Buddy is more likely than Joseph or Barnes since it doesn’t seem that Joseph would throw a tantrum being the odd man out. Barnes’ contract seems too big and he isn’t that good of a player.

    Otis
    Patreon Supporter
    Comments
    Vote Up
    Original Member
    Patreon Supporter
    Comments
    Vote Up
    Original Member
    November 24, 2020 10:12 am

    If you think about it, this is really the first difficult decision that McNair has had to make. Drafting Haliburton seemed to be an easy call, as did Nemanja’s option. Maybe you could argue Giles?

    But this is a pretty impactful decision, regardless of which way he goes.

    Jman1949
    Comments
    Vote Up
    Original Member
    Patreon Supporter
    Comments
    Vote Up
    Original Member
    Patreon Supporter
    November 24, 2020 10:37 am

    Wait! We already missed the deadline€”even before the offer was signed?!

    which means the deadline for Monte McNair is actually…November 14, at 11:59 PM ET.

    The league should investigate!

    SMF-PDXConnection
    Original Member
    Comments
    Vote Up
    Original Member
    Comments
    Vote Up
    November 24, 2020 11:24 am

    It’s going to be interesting, whatever ends up happening. It always is with the Kings

    Mike120
    Original Member
    Patreon Supporter
    Comments
    Vote Up
    Original Member
    Patreon Supporter
    Comments
    Vote Up
    November 24, 2020 12:05 pm

    I say screw ATL. Wait until 11:55 PM and re-sign Bogi. If ATL really wants him then they gotta give us something for him. He’s essentially a FA now. I’d sign him to that contract. Unless there is a better value out there.

    Mike120
    Original Member
    Patreon Supporter
    Comments
    Vote Up
    Original Member
    Patreon Supporter
    Comments
    Vote Up
    November 24, 2020 12:07 pm

    I came here looking for a banner headline think the deadline was noon today. Surprised we went 48 hours with no one mentioning the two full business days rule.

    kings4ever
    Comments
    Vote Up
    Comments
    Vote Up
    November 24, 2020 5:27 pm

    Sam Amick: Strongly leaning towards not matching.

    Badge Legend

    Patreon Supporter Patreon Supporter   Registered On Day 1 Registered On Day 1   Published Post Published Post  Published Post Nostradumbass
    Comment Up Votes 200 Up Votes   Comment Up Votes 500 Up Votes    1,000 Up Votes    3,000+ Up Votes

    Comments 50 Comments   Comments 100 Comments    250 Comments    500 Comments    1000+ Comments