Articles | Commentary | Kangz

The Kings suck, have sucked, and will continue to suck

The more things change, the more they stay the same in Sacramento.

Last night the Kings lost to the Jazz by 49 points. Last night the Phoenix Suns clinched a playoff appearance.

The Suns held the second-longest active playoff drought in the NBA, having failed to reach the postseason since 2010. For those of you keeping score at home, that means that the Suns playoff drought started 4 years after the Sacramento Kings. The next longest drought is the New York Knicks at 7 years, a streak that appears destined to end this year.

The Sacramento Kings will extend their drought to 15 years. They're aren't mathematically eliminated yet, but that's coming any day now and we can be realistic and count them out even if the coaching staff refuses to recognize reality. 15 seasons will tie the longest playoff drought in NBA history, a record set by the Los Angeles Clippers between the 76-77 and 90-91 seasons.

We could recount all the things that have changed or happened since the Kings drought started, but that's already been done countless times. All of this has been done before.

The Kings will tie an all-time record for NBA futility this year. Barring some lottery luck or a huge trade, it seems like this squad is a longshot to make the playoffs next year as well. A streak this long, in a league where over half the teams make the playoff every year, is a true testament to sustained ineptitude.

Go Kangz.

HeuristicLineup
April 29, 2021 8:40 am

The streak is going to go back to being the Timberwolves in 2nd place with *ahem* 3 whole seasons away from the playoffs.

Is a bar

WholeGleamingHornshark-size_restricted.gif
April 29, 2021 8:41 am

I’ll just repost my comment from the recap thread because it fits better here:

Fun fact, as we all know the Kings own the longest playoff drought in the NBA in what will be 15 years, but with the Suns now officially making the playoffs, Vivek HIMSELF now owns the longest playoff drought at 8 seasons. The Knicks, who look to end their drought this year, currently sit at 7.

This means Vivek will pass the Maloofs who had 7 years of no playoffs. Vivek, with now 8 seasons in control, officially owns this playoff drought.

Gregoryl
April 29, 2021 9:20 am

Vivek is the new James Dolan. Plus, they both love jazz…and suck at it.

April 29, 2021 9:47 am
Reply to  Gregoryl

At this point, I think he is more Donald Sterling, minus the racism. Vivek seems to value profits over competitiveness, he’s cycles through front offices and coaches like days of the week, and he’s about to tie Sterling for the longest playoff drought in league history.

Bbmuteman
April 29, 2021 10:18 am

I don’t think he values profits over competitiveness. I just think he’s terrible at hiring the right people. He let vlade give out massive contracts to anyone who would come to us thinking it would make the team better. George Hill, Cory joseph, dedmon, list goes on.

April 29, 2021 1:57 pm
Reply to  Bbmuteman

The Kings have been in the bottom quarter of the teams in spending since he acquired the team. This is a league that you have to spend to win, and he has not done that.

Spending in free agency to fill a roster is not the same as going over the cap to retain the assets you have control of. Time and time again the Kings have let controlled assets leave via trade or free agency.

They traded Tyreke at the end of his rookie deal, rather than extending him. They let IT go for a box of rocks when they controlled his future. They traded DMC right before he was do for an extension (and I fully supported that one). They let Bogi walk for nothing. Holmes could be next.

Guess how many times the Kings have gone over the cap, if only to retain the player as an asset? The answer is zero.

Paying George Hill in free agency is not the same as paying George Hill in free agency AND paying to keep the controlled assets you already have.

Bbmuteman
April 29, 2021 3:36 pm

You can spend tons and still not win. Knicks of old were a capped out team and couldnt win anything because they would overspend on bad players. Kings continue to do that now without being the draw that NY is.

I actually agree with a lot that you say normally, just not in this case. Kings had a chance to re-sign tyreke and IT. For whatever reason, Pete d didn’t like them and traded them for jack. He’s dumb, gets fired. Let’s get another gm to handle things. Vlade comes along and there are misgivings about dmc. Time to trade him. It’s not like mcnair didn’t try to trade bogi, it was just an illegal trade that squashed the trade. I’m with you on holmes. Holmes should have been traded for a low first with a wink wink I’ll try to get you back in the summer deal.

Amonk81
April 29, 2021 12:38 pm

Vivek is an asshole for allowing his ego to keep the Kings terrible.

If he doesn’t give up power-at least you GM-we are fucked until he’s gone.

We, as a fan base, will need to start a campaign and quit going to games but I’m not sure I(we) have the energy for that.

It’s really disgusting how rich fucks can ruin a City’s team.

April 29, 2021 8:49 am

The Kings are the only NBA team to fail to make the NBA playoffs during the tenure of Ranadive’s ownership. Ranadive now owns the longest drought of any Kings owner, dating all the way back to 1949.

Amonk81
April 29, 2021 12:40 pm

Who the F are downvoting this? It’s simply fact. How can anyone be a Vivek apologist.

deepshot22
April 29, 2021 12:52 pm
Reply to  Amonk81

Vivek, his son and Vlade?

TerzoM
April 29, 2021 2:52 pm

ForKingsandCountry
April 29, 2021 8:49 am

I want the record. Let’s do this Kangz. Continue to let me down.

ArsLegendi
April 29, 2021 8:56 am

Despite season after season of lapsing into apathy, I have resisted abandoning my fandom of this team for over two decades.

I don’t know how much I have left in me. Watching the Giants and/or Jeopardy is always a better choice. Republic games are going to start on ESPN+.

I can’t keep doing this to myself.

Marty
April 29, 2021 10:23 am
Reply to  Greg

Oh no I watched that second half and let that shit burn in. My wife even joined me to gauge the talent’s honesty.

Carl
April 29, 2021 11:01 am

And how honest were they? I didn’t bother.

Marty
April 29, 2021 12:47 pm
Reply to  Carl

And how honest were they? I didn’t bother.

Kyle and Katie played it straight, I thought. I honestly think Kyle keeps things in reality check, and Kayte just can’t get too shilly sitting next to him.

I think Kyle has really helped with this, actually. I’ve learned not to listen to Mark or Doug in this respect, and that’s OK too.

Last edited 18 days ago by Marty Marty
Gregoryl
April 29, 2021 1:16 pm

I would love to hear if Celtics broadcasts are as shilly as Kings, it just seems like Kyle rarely plays into the shilliness (at least during the post-games).

April 29, 2021 1:27 pm
Reply to  Gregoryl

Yeah, Kyle used to work on the Celtics broadcast crew. When I lived in Boston and watched games, I thought Tommy Heinsohn and Mike Gorman were gigantic homers. Never felt like they were shilling…just that they were big Celtics fans and were biased.

April 29, 2021 11:44 am
Reply to  Greg

I just kept yelling out the deficit to my kid.
“It’s at thirty!”
“Thirty-five now.”
“Forty!”
“Forty-fucking-seven.”
“Fifty! And yet I cannot look away.”

I think it was as high as fifty-two.

And shit-for-brains only giving Ramsey five minutes was the diarrhea icing on the season-long turd cake cooked up by Baked Walton.

TheKingsGuard
April 29, 2021 12:38 pm

Does a 50 pt loss get my attention….at this point a little, but not like it’s huge Kangz news. But Walton only dishing out minutes to the youngsters halfway through the 4th is the biggest joke of all. Even the Jazz played their end of the bench before us…that speaks volumes to me.

Amonk81
April 29, 2021 12:43 pm
Reply to  TheKingsGuard

The biggest joke of all is Vivek and him thinking this team will/should make a playoff push. He’s an idiot.

If he doesn’t let Monte run the show, doesn’t fire Walton I will have to find a different team.

Bbmuteman
April 29, 2021 10:23 am
Reply to  ArsLegendi

Do what I do and watch other teams play. Enjoy the beauty of watching other bad teams flounder, or watch great teams show what good basketball play is.

I still love the kings and I watch all their games, but why not watch the nuggets, knicks, cavs, whoever else might interest you.

rockbottom
April 29, 2021 1:03 pm
Reply to  Bbmuteman

I watch a lot of Suns, Hawks and Knicks games due to fun and legit coaching ! Plus I really enjoy watching CP3, Bogi, and Randle ! I want to support the Kings more but it seems to destroy my love for NBA basketball !

Bbmuteman
April 29, 2021 3:11 pm
Reply to  rockbottom

I watch a lot of wiz games for Russ’ FU, I will win this game myself attitude. Spurs and philly get an insta-watch. My real pleasure is watching the nuggets play. Man, they are just so good, even without Murray.

SMF-PDXConnection
April 29, 2021 8:56 am

I’m starting to think of this futility as a sort of family curse. When the Kings finally made the playoffs in 96, my dad was 43. If we just wait until I’m 43, we’ll celebrate the playoffs in . . .

2036.

April 29, 2021 8:58 am

Grow up, kid!

Bbmuteman
April 29, 2021 10:38 am

Keep the faith man. The kings will be back in the playoffs sooner or later. The thing is to find a very good coach. Look at what a coaching change can do for a team. Exhibit a, knicks, b, hawks, and c, bulls. Heck, even look at the t-wolves. Finch is doing work with the young guys in Minnesota.

Bluejohn
April 29, 2021 10:29 pm

Your dad and I are the same age and share a similar timeline ( I’m guessing he’s been following the Kings close to the time they got here). I took my son to his first Kings game at ARCO in 1999 and he got a Mike Bibby uni that reached his toes and grew out of it 5 years later. As fans we forget how many seasons in Sac resulted in a losing record despite the glory years.

My son now lives in Portland and is still a Kangz fans and goes to all the Blazers/Kings game wearing his Kangz gear. When the playoffs start we switch to being Blazers fans so at least we have a team to root for.

His fandom has been reignited by the addition of Hali and Dfox’s growth this year. He still believes that Marv is never going to be worth the second pick but that as long as he’s on the team he should be playing max minutes and coached hard to discover where there is a kernel of value there or not. That’s called hope and I don’t share it it but understand it.

SMF-PDX, it is a family curse. The closer I get to 70 I have come to the conclusion that I might not live long enough to see the Kings make the playoffs. I fully believe that nothing will change until vivek is gone. We talk about the Kings constantly during the season, so that’s been good for our relationship but the mutual love/hate and intense frustration with the team has been growing on us.

SMX if your dad is still around pls say hi to him for me. Asa far as I can tell he’s raised a good son. I respect your take on basketball and the Kings in particular. I’m glad you’ve decided to continue to hang with the team.

SMF-PDXConnection
April 30, 2021 9:11 am
Reply to  Bluejohn

Thank you. The synchronicity of this gives me the heebie jeebies a bit. If it weren’t for the story of the Mike Bibby jersey, this could’ve been my story to a tee.

April 29, 2021 8:57 am

I’ve been recently trying to approach this team more like a reality soap opera instead of an operating sports franchise.

It’s a tragicomedy, basically.

April 29, 2021 9:32 am

Super Team Just Young and Restless.

Definitely not Dynasty.

Last edited 18 days ago by NorCalKingsFan
AmateurNerd
April 29, 2021 8:34 pm

Game of Groans.

SMF-PDXConnection
April 29, 2021 9:44 am

Honestly, I find myself not even really caring about basketball anymore. I enjoy the sport, sure, but it’s hard to have an emotional connection to this league when you don’t have a connection through a team (because I truly don’t feel anything toward the Kings anymore). I don’t even really enjoy watching the good teams because it just brings to mind what could have been for us, and it’s not like there’s any sense in trying to measure this organization against any other.

April 29, 2021 9:52 am

Yeah, I can understand that.

Like I wrote elsewhere:
If I could switch and leave it all behind I would. Tried a few times, doesn’t work for me (yet?).
Happy for people who can.

April 29, 2021 11:46 am

Two-and-a-half Decades

Coming to NBC, fall 2031!

DutchKingsFanInUK
April 30, 2021 6:15 am

Curb Your Enthusiasm

Last edited 17 days ago by DutchKingsFanInUK
Kangz_Landing
April 29, 2021 8:57 am

The Browns spent 18 years in futility, Lions have sucked forever, Cubs didn’t win a title for 108 years, Rockies suck each year with a few superstars and feel-good years mixed in. Each sport just has those one or two franchises. Along with the TWolves, we are one of those.

Just accept it, your loyalty to the only pro sports team in SAC won’t drive you completely away, and “enjoy the wins”. The West is only getting better, there is no hope. Whatever can go wrong will go wrong for this franchise.

ArsLegendi
April 29, 2021 8:58 am
Reply to  Kangz_Landing

Until they become Sonics 2.0. Then it’s just us.

Marty
April 29, 2021 9:52 am
Reply to  Kangz_Landing

This is where I’m at KL. I’m 52 and can remember lots of pro sport teams who spent a decade in extreme irrelevancy. That’s the word I ultimately think of here, irrelevant. I see the Kings tossing money into a pot so the colluders can drive the bus.

Bbmuteman
April 29, 2021 10:44 am
Reply to  Kangz_Landing

The webber years were good. Kings could get back to that with a good front office and coach tandem. I don’t know if Monte McNair is that guy, but let’s hope he is and he can pick a great coaching partner to work with this off-season.

nonstripedzebra
April 29, 2021 10:49 am
Reply to  Kangz_Landing

What both the Cubs and Browns did though in large part was read the tea leaves of their habits and constructively plan to maximize being terrible, tank and plan for their moment 4 or 5 years down the line. Which the Kings are still refusing to do. If you have been this bad why are you going about it the same way? Making win now moves, signing high mid levels, pushing for unlikely playoff births that count you out of the pinnacle of the draft lottery. Admitting whats likely would be for trading for assets maximizing the g league etc and benching the home stretch. Or at least operating expecting that the next three seasons will be likely 30 wins or lower and making decisions accordingly.

These are all approaches that beyond our history of being bad, are frankly necessary in an undesirable market that has little if any max player free agency leverage regardless of record, and is fighting up a harder hill than half the rest of the league.

Last edited 18 days ago by nonstripedzebra
April 29, 2021 9:02 am

Ladies and gentleman, your Suckramento Kangz!comment image

April 29, 2021 9:42 am

Where do the Kings play their home games at?

April 29, 2021 9:51 am

April 29, 2021 9:57 am

Meanwhile, at Marvin Bagley’s rehab session:comment image

AnybodyButBagley
April 29, 2021 8:33 pm

Healthy but, sore from playing 3 on 3 in practice. Chose to sit out instead of play in a game in which key players on his team are truly injured. Great winning mentality he brings to this team.

What is his potential again? Can’t it be plainly said that Bagley is a bust? At this point the only question is how long the Kangz protect this jack ass from reality?

Trade him to a team that has a media group that will point out what he is instead of ignore it.

In New York…”James Dolan is an ass hole but the new guy Bagley simply gives up on his team”

In LA….”After giving Bagley a ten day contract it is clear that he cannot play in the NBA. Out of the 10 days, Bagley only practiced for an hour and chose to sit the remainder of his 10 day contract because he is sore”

In San Antonio….”Popovich states in the after game press conference that Bagley will no longer be allowed to be with the team unless he can actually point to the ball while playing defense and then understand which team is currently In possession of the ball.”

10 years later in Sacramento…”After signing his max contract Bagley’s potential is still intriguing as the Kings try to assemble a team to support his talents. Bagley has been starting for more than a decade and his two assists show his amazing potential as a threat that cannot be ignored in the NBA.”

Gregoryl
April 29, 2021 9:18 am

Billboard time!

Amonk81
April 29, 2021 12:50 pm
Reply to  Gregoryl

May as well make some noise and see if we can get that little shit owner to budge.

April 29, 2021 9:24 am

Dude was pissed when a sports magazine ranked Kings as the worst ownership, firing back “hey, that was the previous ownership, not us!”

This guy thinks he’s the smartest guy in the room, feigning humility with the “I surround myself with people smarter than me”.

From 2013, when this shit show first emerged:

As Ranadivé concludes his investment group’s purchase of a majority stake in the Kings, a small-market team that went 187-371 over the past seven seasons, it’s clear that his skills and experience will be relevant, applicable and, to say the least, much appreciated. What Ranadivé did with the middle school girls’ team is the same thing he has done throughout his adult life: he looks for opportunities and identifies ways to capitalize on them. Then, regardless of the odds against him, he succeeds. It’s more or less reflexive at this point.

Gregoryl
April 29, 2021 9:26 am

Boy, was SI completely wrong…

Carl
April 29, 2021 11:10 am

It’s funny – I read that coaching story at the time and was on his side. I thought what he did was smart. In hindsight, he basically exploited a weakness in little kids inability to really play competitive basketball. “Hey look! Kids can’t dribble! I’ll exploit that to win meaningless games and ruin everyone’s fun!” He basically proved that an adult can beat kids. Is that something to be proud of or embarrassed about?

Maybe all of this is karmic retribution for that garbage move.

Last edited 18 days ago by Carl
April 29, 2021 1:15 pm
Reply to  Carl

And, not to mention, stunt his players’ growth in the meantime.

KingOfTheMonsters
April 29, 2021 3:35 pm
Reply to  Carl

Just a beautiful take.

April 29, 2021 9:25 am

He’s Michael Scott, folks.

April 29, 2021 9:39 am

Why hasn’t Luke been fired? I mean, at this point, you’ve paid most of this year’s salary – fire the bum.

A team without two of it’s best players came into our building and hung 150 points on us. Losing needs to start having consequences.

Last edited 18 days ago by Otis
April 29, 2021 9:44 am

My theory:

Luke has videotape of Vivek and Matina buying puppies from a puppy mill and handing them over to Chris Hansen of Seattle as a gift. And they are afraid of the fallout if the public were to see it.

It’s why he keeps threatening them in public with “I guess I’ll have to watch the tape.” …To remind them that he’s got kompromat on them.

SMF-PDXConnection
April 29, 2021 9:45 am

Luke’s not smart enough to blackmail.

Blackmail requires devising a plan.

HeuristicLineup
April 29, 2021 9:46 am

They had 76 points at the half and the teams response to that was allowing 78 points in the second half. Talk about a team who doesn’t give two shits about their head coach or really even any self pride

April 29, 2021 9:54 am

And I bet Luke is ready to wash his hands of this, take his buyout and get out of town.

April 29, 2021 9:59 am

By the way he is coaching it almost seems like he’s trying to get fired.

HeuristicLineup
April 29, 2021 10:24 am

Hopefully he gets to join the list of coaches we actively pay to not coach here anymore soon

April 29, 2021 10:42 am

If I’m not mistaken, this was the first season of the Vivek era in which the Kings were only paying one head coach’s salary:

2013-14: Smart, Malone
2014-2015: Malone, Corbin, Karl
2015-2016: Karl, Malone
2016-17: Joerger, Karl
2018-19: Joerger, Karl
2019-20: Walton, Joerger
2020-21: Walton

April 29, 2021 10:43 am

Quite a legacy.

April 29, 2021 10:45 am

I might’ve missed one year in there. Haven’t finished my morning Rockstar Zero Carb yet

April 29, 2021 10:49 am

Doubt they payed Malone in 2015-16. That was his first season in Denver.

April 29, 2021 10:52 am

you’re better at this stuff than me. I have reassigned the task to you. Please have a full report by COB.

Hobby916
April 29, 2021 11:01 am

They had Karl Malone as a coach in 2015-16??? haha

April 29, 2021 11:36 am
Reply to  Hobby916

John Stockton played for us, too.

As well as our G-League affiliate.

Last edited 18 days ago by Kosta
Amonk81
April 29, 2021 12:54 pm

Vivek has yet to allow the GM to hire his coach from the start.

April 29, 2021 1:02 pm
Reply to  Amonk81

That’s true, and it’s a huge divergence from the usual (i.e. smart) way of allowing a GM to operate.

But hey, try new things, right! Just because it hasn’t worked either time here doesn’t mean

YES IT DOES

TheKingsGuard
April 29, 2021 12:44 pm

Best thing about this was Kyle calling out Kayte when she said ‘…at least they showed something in the second half” Kyle’s ‘You really think that?!’ comment was what anyone who had on in the background while doing something else more important thought.

Amonk81
April 29, 2021 12:53 pm
Reply to  TheKingsGuard

Ignoring gross behavior is supporting gross behavior—Kayte and all The Sac broadcast team. It is in no way helpful or doing their job.

April 29, 2021 9:57 am

I’m wondering this to. Sadly, I get this sickly feeling in the pit of my stomach when I think they might just bring back Walton for another year.

Bbmuteman
April 29, 2021 10:48 am

Perish the thought….

HeuristicLineup
April 29, 2021 10:56 am

They can’t even sell out 1,600 seats right now, if they bring Walton back next year…. ooooooofffff those Kings games are going to be bleak

HeuristicLineup
April 29, 2021 10:57 am

and yes, I get saying they can’t sell 1,600 seats is a little disingenuous with all that’s going on, but if this team was at least halfway decent with a better coach, I think Sacramento sells those out still.

Hobby916
April 29, 2021 11:02 am

If that happens, I will walk away until he is gone. Even then, I might not come back.

Amonk81
April 29, 2021 12:56 pm
Reply to  Hobby916

That’s my thought. Leave and/or billboard/protest as fans.

Carl
April 29, 2021 11:16 am

Around the time McNair was hired, I seem to remember them saying specifically that Walton is coach for this season. Hopefully that means that next season is up to McNair, and that he’s assertive enough to make a change.

April 29, 2021 11:50 am
Reply to  Carl

That’s my recollection as well, and we all attributed it to not wanting to pay Walton for three years to get high, watch TV, and the occasional date rape.

The jury is out on McNair, but I can’t imagine that anyone believes it was his preference to keep failson around.

Bbmuteman
April 29, 2021 10:47 am

You need luke to finish the job of losing the next ten straight. Another coach might play some of the young guys and accidentally win some games.

HeuristicLineup
April 29, 2021 10:57 am
Reply to  Bbmuteman

With Barnes and Fox out, that’s going to happen anyways with Walton or without him. Kings aren’t catching Detroit. Kings lottery %’s are basically where they’re going to be at come lottery day

Carl
April 29, 2021 11:20 am

Yeah, this seems right to me. The Kings are four games behind the 6th spot, and the two teams tied for that spot are 2-8 and 1-9 in their last 10. McNair blew an opportunity to get a higher draft spot this season by holding on to Barnes and Holmes. You can never prove what would have happened, but I continue to think it was a blunder that will be made worse if Holmes walks for nothing.

I don’t fully expect that we’ll even have a draft pick this year. I think the Kings first round pick(s) are going out for a star of some kind over the next two seasons.

Last edited 18 days ago by Carl
April 29, 2021 1:44 pm
Reply to  Carl

Personally for me, if Holmes walks for nothing this summer, McNair is officially in the negative for me and I will question his ability to be an even decent GM. That would be both Bogi and Holmes walking for nothing. Shit teams can’t let that happen.

Gregoryl
April 29, 2021 1:58 pm

This is the Vivek issue. Did Monte not move Holmes (or Buddy or Barnes) b/c he wanted to make a run at the play-in or Vivek wanted to make a run at the play-in? Amick brought up the point that if this was Monte’s call, we would likely heard rumblings from the within the org that Monte screwed up, but radio silence on that front (plus reports of Monte calling this “a gap year”) points to this being another stupid Vivek decision.

April 29, 2021 3:48 pm

Question for the group: Which option would you have chosen at the trade deadline?

A) Trade Holmes to the Raptors for Malachi Flynn and Stanley Johnson
B) Keep Holmes and go into free agency with a 50:50 chance to re-sign Holmes using the early bird exception (4 years, $47 million)

the reason I ask is that losing him for nothing could just mean 1 team offered him 4 years, $50 million. So the real question is what type of asset would’ve been good enough to forgo having X% chance of re-signing Holmes to a reasonable deal in the offseason.

Bbmuteman
April 29, 2021 3:51 pm

Was that the only trade available for the kings? From the rumor mill stories I was reading, the kings could have gotten a low first round pick from a contending team. That’s enough for me to say, i got an asset back for holmes. I love Holmes, by the way.

April 29, 2021 4:06 pm
Reply to  Bbmuteman

I don’t think there was ever a potential trade leaked. I just put that one out there because the Raptors were rumored to be interested. My point is to gently push back on the “lose Holmes for nothing” talking point. There could be a situation in which they “barely lose Holmes for nothing, but the risk associated with keeping him outweighed the reward of trading him at the deadline.” Or to put it another way, would you take a 100% chance at getting $1 instead of a 50% chance of winning $2?

Bbmuteman
April 29, 2021 4:21 pm

If the opportunity was there to trade holmes for a middle 20s to late 20s pick, I’d do it. That pick plus the kings pick might be able to let the kings move up one or two spots, if the guy the kings are targeting is just above them. At least that way, the kings have another asset to work with.

Carl
April 30, 2021 11:56 am

Whatever the risk calculation, if the team loses Holmes for nothing after failing to deal him at the deadline, the result is going to be very, very difficult to defend.

And that failure will be connected to both Vivek and McNair, undermining McNair’s image and authority.

April 30, 2021 12:39 pm
Reply to  Carl

if that’s the case, then GMs should always trade every player that can be an impending free agent since there’s always going to be a greater than 0% chance they’ll leave.

Bbmuteman
April 29, 2021 12:43 pm

Kings need to stay within that 6th to 9th worst record though. A few more wins can have them overtaking the bulls, pelicans, toronto, and potentially wiz. Okc doesn’t have shai playing, and they still get the occasional win. Kings need to be minnesota without kat kind of bad to get both a better pick and to show the front office we need to clean house of almost everything. I’m really kind of hoping for 10 losses in a row to end the season even though I’ll be voting for kings wins in the predictions.

BeTheBall
April 29, 2021 11:30 am

Unfortunately, in the history of the Kings franchise (especially the Sacramento era), losing has had very few consequences.

Gregoryl
April 29, 2021 11:36 am

Who cares at this point… fire him at season’s end and see who is available out there, blow up the team, etc… Make it the Summer of Monte.

AmateurNerd
April 29, 2021 8:36 pm

If giving up 150+ points and losing by 49 to a team missing its two best players isn’t a fireable offense, then Walton will be the coach for all eternity.

April 29, 2021 9:39 am

April 29, 2021 9:41 am

April 29, 2021 11:51 am

Seems like there would need to have been an interval of non-sucking in order to use “again.”

Carl
April 30, 2021 11:57 am

At least every 15 years.

Marty
April 29, 2021 9:44 am

Maybe it’s time to resurrect my old black and white graphic from the “rid us of Cousins” period.

April 29, 2021 9:48 am

That also dates back to Buffalo, and San Diego, too.

On one hand, this streak is very much Vivek’s to own. But, really, unless you were thinking the entire West was going to drop off, there was no way to make the playoffs this season. It was inevitable, in otherwords.

Last night was crappy, but I didn’t pay it any mind. I was watching the Denver-New Orleans game, and if I could have been bothered to care about the Clippers-Suns game in Phoenix I would have finished up with that game. I turned on Netflix, conked out, and that was that. I turned the Kings game off in the 2nd qtr and never bothered to turn it back on. I could see what kinda game it was, I just didn’t think the Kings would lose by 49. That’s rather impressive, but I’ve seen plenty of those blowouts over the years. I don’t bother to watch anymore. There’s nothing to see there.

The question is do basketball people have control of this thing. This can be turned around, nothing has changed over the last week that wasn’t true before then, and the next week won’t change anything either. But hopefully there’s some mechanism that kicks in that embarrasses Vivek to allow his basketball people to run things. What’s funny is that he probably has made good hires before, but doesn’t realize why. It would be a good thing this time if he realizes what he has in Monte McNair rather than trying to push an arbitrary agenda (like making the playoffs) next season. At this point, the playoff drought streak is really irrelevant. Make good decisions (you have to understand what that means), have good process (this too), this other shit takes care of itself (you have to understand the previous two points to get to this juncture). It’s pretty simple, but I guess you can be as dumb as you want when you write the checks. As always, proof is in the pudding.

April 29, 2021 10:06 am

Part of me wonders if fans had been in the arena, would things have gone down differently this season. I really think the team is just treading water to keep the lights on. Right now there is no accountability to the poor play. There are no boo birds, paper bag wearing fans or noticeably empty seats due to disgust and apathy. The only thing that may be an indicator is TV viewership and sponsorship revenue, but I have no idea what those numbers are. I do know the Kings didn’t get a jersey sponsor this year, so maybe that is an indication of things?

April 29, 2021 11:44 am

I’ve wondered about this too, but there could be a number of explanations for it. Blue Diamond still has their sideline advertising, though, I’ve noticed.

BeTheBall
April 29, 2021 1:17 pm

It appears Rockets, Bucks, Wolves, and us are the only teams without uni sponsors.

Personally, I hope it stays that way. Was never a fan of it. Though, having the uni maker logo prominently displayed also annoys me.

Last edited 18 days ago by BeTheBall
April 29, 2021 12:44 pm

One thing I’m curious about is their willingness to use all or most of the exceptions at their disposal next offseason. I believe they can theoretically use the early bird on Davis and Holmes, the NT MLE , the biannual, and minimums in FA, and two traded player exceptions ($3.6 mil for CoJo, ~$2 mil for Bjelly) for trades. That feels like enough tools to field a competitive squad if they nail their draft pick(s), and figure out how to move with Bagley and/or Buddy.

April 30, 2021 2:02 am

It really depends on whether or not the Kings have cap room Rory. Keep in mind you can’t combine exceptions so it’s not like you can combine the TPE and the NT MLE together. Which, naturally, makes cap room more valuable.

The only way to get cap room at this point is to move Buddy Hield, Harrison Barnes or Marvin Bagley and receive little salary in return.

Carl
April 30, 2021 12:00 pm

I think Bagley might go. I’m not sure you can move Buddy and cut salary at the same time. They won’t deal Barnes unless they get someone better in return, and it’s tough to see that happening while also lowering salary. Could be that Barnes is sent out with the team’s first for a higher level starter.

What does Barnes plus Hali, plus 2021 first get you? That’s the Kind of deal I expect.

Last edited 17 days ago by Carl