Articles | Commentary

The Kings shouldn’t sell low on Buddy Hield

Buddy Hield is one of the league's elite shooters. Any trade involving Hield should reflect that.

The Kings will trade Buddy Hield this offseason, or at least that seems to be the accepted assumption among Kigns fans. Buddy was unhappy with his role this past season, Buddy's production slipped, and his new contract kicks in for the upcoming season. Fans are frustrated with Buddy, and Buddy is frustrated with the Kings. It seems only natural that Buddy could be moved, especially if the Kings begin to rebuild under a new GM.

But it would be a huge mistake to sell low on Hield this summer.

It's easy to forget that a year ago there was a contingent of fans saying Vlade should just cave and give Buddy Hield the $100 million contract he was seeking. At the time of Buddy's extension (at a number under $100 million), it was praised as a pretty good deal. That praise wasn't just from local media, either.

One down season, and suddenly that same contract is viewed like some sort of albatross. Don't get me wrong, it isn't a great contract, especially if the cap goes down as a result of COVID impacting league revenues. But Buddy's contract declines year over year, and pays a premium salary for one of the league's premier shooters.

And that brings us to the biggest reason not to trade Buddy Hield for pennies on the dollar: he remains one of the league's premier three point shooters. It's easy to forget this when watching Buddy turn the ball over and when watching Luke Walton run an offense that has Buddy trying to create off the dribble, but Buddy is a great shooter.

In what we all agree was a down year for Hield, he still shot 39.4% from 3 on 9.6 attempts per game. On a per game basis, Buddy is third in the league in made threes. If we look at totals, Buddy made more three pointers this season than anyone other than James Harden. And this is in a down year for Buddy.

Buddy's game has serious flaws, no doubt about it. But Buddy Hield is one of the league's best three point shooters. We shouldn't let our evaluation of him be clouded simply because Luke Walton used him poorly all year. Buddy is elite at one of the most sought-after skills in the NBA.

If the right deal comes along, Buddy is hardly an untouchable player. I'm not suggesting that the Kings can't trade Buddy under any circumstances. And there is naturally a risk to keeping Buddy another year considering the Kings seem hellbent on keeping Luke Walton.

All I'm saying is that if the Kings trade Buddy Hield, they better make sure they get something decent in return. Because if Buddy lands with a competent coach he's going to bounce right back and remind everyone how good he can be when used correctly.

Oldest
Newest Most Voted
1951
September 3, 2020 8:46 am

Maybe sell low on the coach that misused the player rather than on the player misused by the coach.

But Luke’s job is safe for … reasons.

September 3, 2020 9:02 am

I agree in principle.

But Hield has shown in the past to be outspoken and complain loudly about lack of respect and such. There could be a situation where it might be better to get rid of him soon, before he forcibly lessens his trade value.

Wonderchild
September 3, 2020 9:18 am

I really don’t blame Buddy for being outspoken regarding the coaching change. I mean, he’s no worse than what we do on a daily basis.

September 3, 2020 10:20 am
Reply to  Wonderchild

He’s being paid to be a professional by the organization he complains about. We are not.

Sacto_J
September 3, 2020 11:58 am

Professionals are known to call out points of failure in their profession. And if the immediate supervisor isn’t listening they will definitely go above the supervisor. Especially when they are elite professionals in their field. And if they aren’t listening to the professional at the above level, I guarantee there are plenty of professionals who will bend the ear of any co-worker willing to listen. Some of Buddy’s co-workers happen to be media members.

Do I like when he does it? Not really.
Do I understand it? This season, definitely.

Wonderchild
September 3, 2020 12:23 pm

you can be outspoken and not make it disrespectful. It’s definitely possible.

September 3, 2020 12:34 pm
Reply to  Wonderchild

It’s possible. But Hield showed that he can’t:

It’s not frustrated, I’m just speaking to my heart,€ Hield said. €œI feel like people get mixed up with being frustrated. I’m just speaking what I believe and what I think. Like I said, there are 30 teams out there. If they don’t want to give me what I think I deserve, some team will give it to me. They’ll have the ability to match, or they’ll have the ability to let me go.€

€œName one big free agent that came to Sacramento,€ Hield said in the scrum. €œI’ve been here three years trying to grow the program, grow the organization, and I feel like I could be rewarded close to that. But that’s just me. That’s my gut feeling.€

€œI see it like an insult,€ Hield said. €œI feel like I’m worth more than that. If you say I’m your guy and you want to build around me, I just need you to show it. Actions speak louder than words. If you’re just talking and not showing nothing, I’m not going to respect it. I love playing here. I want to be here. This is my home. I’m trying to buy a house here, but everything is on stall mode because I don’t know if they’ll really commit to me.€

Sacto_J
September 3, 2020 6:08 pm

We’re gonna sit here and bitch about how Vivek runs this team from a fantasy basketball, armchair GM standpoint, then criticize a player when they speak “their mind” when they feel the need to speak from a place of honesty (not frustration, allegedly) when asked by media about their contract negotiations?
Maybe I’m misunderstanding but you’re telling me he’s being disloyal or whatever and needs to be quiet, rather than reflecting the environment he’s currently a part of?
I’ll reiterate, I wasn’t a big fan of it then and still would prefer he take the high road (and learn how to dribble / pass if his coach is going to MAKE him do it) but professionals come in all shapes and sizes and my opinion is the best ones demand accountability out of themselves and the people around them. In the quote above Buddy hasn’t said anything that’s not accurate.

September 3, 2020 6:40 pm
Reply to  Sacto_J

For me, Buddy’s behavior is an indication that he’s not holding himself accountable. I’m almost getting tired of the narrative that Buddy is this innocent bystander who’s simply being misused. He’s a walking brain fart that thinks he’s an all star. His attitude, in my opinion. stems from not wanting to be the guy that just runs around trying to get open for three, while also failing at being something more than that.

Sacto_J
September 4, 2020 11:05 am

Possibly.
I believe Buddy overvalues himself. He should, to a point. I also believe Buddy has to look out for himself, just like every other player in the league. When dealing with bonehead management I can’t fault a player for speaking out. Do I want to have to hear this kind of shit every other week? Obviously not. But considering who he has to deal with for a boss (which I don’t think can be overstated at this point,) I’m not going to judge him too harshly considering there’s plenty other stars in the league who are as bad or worse, whether deservedly so or not.
What I will say is the Kings had a nice thing going 2 seasons ago with Fox and Hield and I’d like to see that develop into something. Unfortunately that’s not going to happen with Walton, he’s just not smart enough. At the end of the day I’d just like to see the Kings make intelligent basketball decisions, and I don’t believe selling low on Buddy Hield is a smart move in any way.

September 3, 2020 10:32 pm
Reply to  Sacto_J

He’s an employee. Employees have frustrations and misgivings all the time. There are ways to express them. The way Hield did is not a good way and is indicative of matters that RORDOG laid it very clearly here above.

September 3, 2020 9:26 am

His trade value could hardly be lower than now, no matter what he might say.

September 3, 2020 9:45 am

I don’t think his trade value is any lower now than it was before the season. Pre-extension it was higher because he was cheaper and the team would have control over that extension decision. But everybody in the league knows what Buddy is. I don’t think this season changed any perceptions of Hield outside the world of Kings fans. He’s still a reliable elite shooting specialist with a high motor.

September 3, 2020 10:58 am

I don’t believe for a second that there isn’t a team that wouldn’t have been thrilled to have Hield for four years under his current contract in July of 2019.

You remember, before legacy hire got his hooks into him.

Last edited 1 year ago by andy_sims
September 3, 2020 11:46 am

I don’t think the people that would have been thrilled in July of 2019 would be any less thrilled today.

September 3, 2020 10:25 am

Let’s see what happens if he becomes very vocal about his discontent, and perhaps states that he deserves to be a starter. You won’t convince me that it will not influence his trade value.

September 3, 2020 9:08 am

I think we’d have to try to define what selling low would mean. I think everybody in the league knows that Hield is an elite shooter (though that’s not as rare as we tend to think these days. This season 18 players shot at least as well as Buddy on 5 or more 3s per game.). The question is what is that worth. The Heat got it in a UDFA. The Wizards paid 2/14. The Jazz paid 4/70-something. The Kings 4/86. The Pels paid 2/26.

ZillersCat
September 3, 2020 10:38 am

I think it is worth Victor Oladipo.
And Shirley I’m serious.

Last edited 1 year ago by ZillersCat
BabalooMagoo
September 4, 2020 6:07 am
Reply to  ZillersCat

And don’t call me Shirley!

September 3, 2020 2:55 pm

This is why I don’t necessarily begrudge Walton for at least attempting to find out if Buddy could add to his game his season. “Premier three point shooter” just doesn’t have the value people think it does if the player doesn’t bring other valuable skills to the table.

September 3, 2020 3:15 pm

So Vlade signs the bad contract. And Luke tries to justify the bad contract. Sounds like a plan!

September 3, 2020 5:16 pm
Reply to  AirmaxPG

Uh I’m pretty sure developing a player so they provide excess value to contract is every team’s goal.

September 4, 2020 10:28 am

Yeah I just think it was an overpay to begin with. And they failed at that goal miserably by making it even more of an overpay. Adding skills is fine, but it seemed to take away from what made Buddy almost worth that contract in the first place.

September 4, 2020 10:39 am
Reply to  AirmaxPG

He still made nearly 4 3s a game (good for 3rd in the NBA and more than he made in 2018-19) on over 39% a game. He got his contract because of his shooting. He was still an elite shooter in 2019-20. I think Kings fans are a little too close to this. Buddy’s 3pt shooting wasn’t meaningfully worse this season, and in some ways it was better. I really don’t think Buddy’s perception around the league changed at all this season.

September 4, 2020 11:25 am

Yeah I don’t think his perception changed much either. But I don’t think another year under Walton will help.

I’d like to get rid of Walton and would be fine keeping Buddy. Again he is just another player I think has value around the league to accumulate prospects/draft picks. Which I don’t think we have a lot of.

September 4, 2020 11:31 am
Reply to  AirmaxPG

Yeah, I’m all for moving Buddy in a good deal.

September 4, 2020 10:39 am
Reply to  AirmaxPG

okay? I said I don’t begrudge the coach for trying. There’s nothing in my original statement about the decision to sign Buddy to that contract. Also, everybody seems to forget that the plan actually worked once Walton made the decision to move Buddy to the bench. Buddy’s USG%, AST% and TS% all went up, and his TOV% went down as a reserve.

September 4, 2020 11:06 am

I don’t begrudge the coach for trying. I begrudge him for continuing to make it a focal point once it was clear to everyone it just wasn’t working.

It did work better once he went to the bench, which again somewhat shows the value to contract to be negative.

Wonderchild
September 3, 2020 9:16 am

It would be pretty Kangzy for them to back a horrible coach over a player like Hield.

I think they should make preliminary calls to move Buddy, but like you say it can’t be for just anyone. It would be nice to get another creator to help Fox and Bogdanovic out.

I’d love someone like LeVert, but the Nets would have to send salary with him. We’d most likely have to take on DAJ, though I’d rather have Prince or Temple.

Kingme18
September 3, 2020 9:19 am

What’s selling low? Trading Buddy for Al Horford?

September 3, 2020 9:28 am
Reply to  Kingme18

If that comes with other assets, and I mean something/someone valuable, you have to weigh everything.

When you’re going head-first into the tank, you have to consider everything, even if only to dismiss it.

eddie41
September 3, 2020 10:40 am
Reply to  Kingme18

Do not trade for Horford. That contract is Philly’s problem, not ours.

September 3, 2020 11:48 am

Not. We have plenty of other problems. The solutions to some of those may theoretically include trading for Horford.

September 3, 2020 12:35 pm

Yup. Horford SHOULD come with some very nice collection of assets. Kings could pull a Hinkie and twists Philly’s arm into a nice asset grab for eating Horford’s deal.

eddie41
September 3, 2020 4:00 pm

The Kings already entered the “Trust the Process” story once and it wasn’t good for us. That book is still being written. If Philly can pull out of their financial mess, good for them, but I don’t want to enter that book again to bail them out. Sorry.

September 4, 2020 9:04 am
  1. “The Process” ended two years ago when they fired Hinkie.
  2. The current Sixers FO has done nothing but make mistakes.
  3. Instead of being the team desperate to dump money like in 2016, we’d be the team taking advantage of that desperation.
eddie41
September 4, 2020 12:31 pm

I disagree with your #1. Some of the key players from Hinkie’s tenure are still on the team and they are still trying to win a championship with that core. One of them is even nicknamed “the process”. The fans and the organization are still living that book. As for your point #3, I doubt the Kings would pull off your ideal trade. The more likely result would be a trade that benefits the 76ers by giving ridding themselves of the Horford contract and receiving a really good shooter in his prime. All of the sudden that closing window for the 76ers would be fully reopened and we would be looking at a 76ers Celtics rivalry, #1 and #2 in the eastern conference, for the next 3 years. No thank you. Hang up of the phone.

September 4, 2020 12:54 pm

IMO you’re WAY too concerned about what the deal does for the 76ers and not nearly concerned enough about what it does for the Kings.

And they certainly aren’t “The Process” anymore. The process died with Hinkie. They haven’t be doing anything that reflects the strategies that characterized The Process. If anything, they’re in the shitty unauthorized, ill-conceived spin-off to The Process written and produced by entirely different people using some of the same characters because the studio owned the rights. These Sixers are the Scarlett of the NBA. It’s fanfic without the imagination.

Last edited 1 year ago by BestHyperboleEver
eddie41
September 4, 2020 1:54 pm

IMO you are not concerned enough about how bad that Horford contact is. No respectable NBA franchise would trade for Horford’s contract. Sorry.

September 4, 2020 2:09 pm

The Warriors traded for Wiggins contract. The Thunder traded for Paul’s and the Rockets for Westbrook’s. The Thunder also traded for Gallinari’s. The Jazz traded for Conley’s. The Raptor’s traded for Gasol’s. The Clippers traded for Gallinari and the Nuggets traded for Millsap. All of these contracts are comparable or worst than Horford’s and those are pretty respectable NBA franchises in my opinion.

September 4, 2020 3:06 pm

*Worse.

September 4, 2020 3:20 pm

I’m just kind of meh on Horford. I just think his production could fall off a cliff at any moment, and it showed signs last season.

It depends what we could get back with him obviously, but anything less than two of: #21 pick this year, Thybulle, 2021 PHI 1st, 2022 PHI 1st… and I’m not really excited about it.

It ties up a lot of money for the next 2 seasons and then $14M in the third year is guaranteed. I just think we could maybe get a little more for a bad contract.

So basically Buddy for Horford, #21, and 2022 Philly 1st… I’m listening. Less than that, I’m exploring other bad contracts to take on.

September 4, 2020 3:30 pm
Reply to  AirmaxPG

Agreed. As with all ideas, it’s all about the return.

That said, while as you say he’s at a point where he could fall off a cliff at any moment, as of today he makes the Kings better.

September 4, 2020 3:57 pm

Well, yeah. Low bar approved 😉

KangzAteMyFamily
September 7, 2020 9:16 am

Wiggins was 25 when they made that trade. Gasol had a year and a half left on his contract. Conley had two. Gallinari and Milsap were signed as free agents at three years, not four. None of these are at all anywhere as bad as signing 34 year old Al Horford at 4 years/109.

September 3, 2020 9:25 am

Agree 100%.

Give Hield time to get his legs back under him, stop pretending that he’s a combo guard, and if the time comes where he’s his old self, decisions can be made as to whether he fits into the long-term plan, assuming that such a thing ever comes to be.

Will this happen under Lose Walton?

By the time that legacy-shit-for-brains is done with him, we’ll trade Hield to a team that agrees to stock the soda machine in the locker room.

September 3, 2020 9:27 am

I’ll just post my favorite trade again here:

Fox+Buddy+Parker to NYK for Robinson+Portis+Ntilikina+Gibson+Pick #8 2020+2021 NYK unprotected 1st.

This team has a limited ceiling. We’re not getting a 2nd or 3rd star anytime soon (thanks Vlade!) So we’re wasting prime years of good players like De’Aaron and Buddy. If we want to contend sometime this decade (likely really contend)… get a good GM in here (Hinkie!) and let him stockpile high-end draft assets in 2021 and 2022. That’s where we get our alpha star to take us to the promised land.

Wonderchild
September 3, 2020 9:30 am
Reply to  AirmaxPG

I’d argue we haven’t wasted anything of Fox’s prime because he’s 2-3 years from it.

September 3, 2020 9:35 am
Reply to  Wonderchild

The only thing about Fox is we’re going to have to pay him ~$30M starting in 2021. Are we comfortable with that? I think he’s really good, and he will get better. I just don’t know if he’s the type of guy you give that much money to as a #1 option on a contending team.

And by the time we get around to getting him supporting star players (which will have to come in the draft), they might not be peaking together and our window to compete is smaller.

Players with extreme athleticism like Fox don’t tend to last very long. I keep fearing his career arc might be similar to John Wall. Which isn’t terrible. But where are we getting Beal and Otto Porter from?

September 3, 2020 9:39 am
Reply to  AirmaxPG

But where are we getting Beal and Otto Porter from?

From the fairy dust in Neverland. It’s a magical mystical place that never grows old!

September 3, 2020 10:47 am

We’ll need some of that fairy dust for Fox. By the time we put a good roster around him he’ll be on his 3rd max extension and on the tail end of an all-star career.

Kinda why I think it would best to reset this thing. Vlade caused us to miss our window with this group.

LLcoolRay
Comments
Comments
September 3, 2020 10:23 am
Reply to  AirmaxPG

Are you, by chance, a Knicks fan?

September 3, 2020 10:53 am
Reply to  LLcoolRay

Nope. I think there’s an excellent chance that Robinson plus that (possibly top 5) Knicks pick in 2021 will outperform Fox from this point on. Plus another pick this year (Halliburton please!) Portis and Gibson are expiring salary than can be flipped at deadline or just use that money currently applied to Hield to take on other assets for more picks.

September 3, 2020 12:42 pm
Reply to  LLcoolRay

Actually, yes. You caught me. I just get so excited thinking about all the championships we are going to win with the core pieces of Fox, Hield, and Randle. Once Knox and Barrett develop into the beasts that they are, whoo boy! Watch out Bucks and Warriors!

Jman1949
September 3, 2020 3:00 pm
Reply to  AirmaxPG

Confirmed! AirmaxPG is actually Scott Perry!

September 3, 2020 3:14 pm
Reply to  Jman1949

Shhh… don’t tell Vivek I’m actually lobbying for the Kings job just so I can ship off Fox and Buddy to my beloved Knicks. We’ll have the best 40-win backcourt duo in the league!

September 3, 2020 12:33 pm
Reply to  AirmaxPG

Haha, an unpopular trade apparently…

Just curious. Does anyone think we can get more for Fox? Or do we just not want to consider trading him?

September 3, 2020 12:38 pm
Reply to  AirmaxPG

I don’t think it’s that crazy. If NY was willing to part with the #8, next year’s pick and Robinson in a Fox package, the Kings should give it consideration. I think it would come down to who is there at #8.

September 3, 2020 1:16 pm

As I’ve mentioned, I’d be more interested in this years 27 plus another future pick (in addition to the 2021 pick) than this year’s #8.

Though maybe you take the #8 then move the #12 for additional assets.

September 3, 2020 1:24 pm

It would depend on who was there at #8 and if the new GM has enough desire for that player, but yes, you could possible package the #8 and #12 into something greater. The real value is that 2021 pick.

September 3, 2020 1:26 pm

I think I’ve beaten this horse enough, but many of my favorite options in this draft are projected to be late-1st, early-2nd types.

September 3, 2020 1:36 pm

You could probably target those guys with the treasure trove of 2nds Vlade acquired. It wonder if it’s possible to trade into the late 1st round by offering up a couple of 2nds from this year or next. Those late first rounders are going to capped out contenders. They may prefer the unguaranteed 2nds in exchange.

September 3, 2020 1:47 pm

Maybe, there are always different ways to get there. Just like in 2017, I wanted Giles late in the round (which happened), but I wanted to get there by taking on some Blazer salary rather than trading down (because I thought the #10 was towards the end of a talent tier and, thus, they should hold onto it.

September 3, 2020 3:22 pm

Well judging by some people’s evaluation of Fox, we should be able to get the #27, the #8, and the unprotected 1st next year plus Mitchell Robinson no problem.

September 3, 2020 1:14 pm
Reply to  AirmaxPG

I think they have to consider it. They’re a sub.-500 team that’s a lot more than a #12 pick and some development away from contention, and he’s bearing down on a 30MM per year pay day.

eddie41
September 4, 2020 8:33 am
Reply to  AirmaxPG

I do not want to consider trading him.

September 4, 2020 10:05 am

Fair enough. I’m just coming around to the idea because I think we may have missed a window to contend by adding a 2nd star in 2018. I’m skeptical of the ceiling on a Fox+Bagley core. (Even with peripheral players like Buddy and Barnes). I think in today’s NBA the two most important skills I want out of my point guard are shooting and playmaking. And I’m not convinced that Fox is the type of player that will be worth $30M/year. I think we can tear this thing down while we have young talent that doesn’t mesh all that well… and really hit the 2021 draft hard with hopefully multiple high lottery picks.

But we can agree to disagree.

September 4, 2020 10:50 am
Reply to  AirmaxPG

I don’t think they necessarily NEED to trade Fox. I think there are other potential routes to success. I’m just open to the idea, assuming the return is something staggering.

September 4, 2020 10:53 am

Agreed.

September 4, 2020 11:02 am
Reply to  AirmaxPG

But I will add that I consider a likely top 5 pick in next years draft to be very valuable. And no other player on our roster will fetch that return. Two picks in the top 5 for us that year would be staggering in my opinion. That’s the type of foundation that could contend for a decade.

Add in a player like Mitchell Robinson and I think I would define that as a pretty staggering return for a player that will fetch the type of money Fox will after just one more season of rookie scale.

September 4, 2020 11:08 am
Reply to  AirmaxPG

Yup, Robinson and two top 5 picks in 2021 is a quick way to rebuild. Not to mention Bagley may still turn into a solid NBA player.

eddie41
September 4, 2020 11:13 am
Reply to  AirmaxPG

I do not envision Bagley being part of a core either. He has too much to prove in too little time. Based on what we’ve seen, I think he’ll get his 25 and 10, but with zero assists, no defense, bad defensive rebounding, black hole on offense. All that would be good for Bagley, earning him a lucrative 2nd contract but it would be bad for the team that resigns him, and maybe also bad for the team that develops him.

September 4, 2020 11:30 am

IF the Kings were to go for a full one-year rebuild, the best path for Bagley is probably to play him 36 minutes a game next year, let him get his 18/9 stats on a bad team, then move him next offseason. Unlike Hield, I imagine trying to trade Bagley now wouldn’t be worth the return we’d get.

eddie41
September 4, 2020 11:25 am
Reply to  AirmaxPG

As for point guards, I think the Kings can get where you want by having two point guards on the floor at all times. (ie., Fox and Bogdan, backed up by Joseph and an interesting rookie pg). Hield rotates with the forwards. Barnes can slide to the 4 at times. If you are concerned about the luxury tax, everything looks better when you do not see Bagley as part of the core.

September 4, 2020 11:33 am

I see where you are coming from. I still just think even if everyone is used correctly this is still a 40 win team. We may just disagree on that fundamental point.

eddie41
September 3, 2020 9:35 am

I agree. Buddy also has a high motor which makes me believe he will be good all 4 years of his contract. Financially, either his contract or the Barnes’ contract can be moved later if necessary, partly because there are slim chances the Kings will resign Bagley. Everyone will remember the better version of Buddy Hield when he is used correctly, as a forward and/or with a facilitating big man like Giles.

September 3, 2020 11:00 am

I am legitimately puzzled by this entire paragraph.

eddie41
September 3, 2020 4:06 pm

That’s because you are two steps behind.

September 3, 2020 9:36 am

I think the Kings should trade Buddy and blame you, Greg. That way you can add Buddy’s trade value to your list of ruination.

Wonderchild
September 3, 2020 10:46 am

I imagine this as you (as Chris Walken) talking to Greg (as Vince Vaughn) in Wedding Crashers saying “Buddy isn’t just another notch on your belt.”

deepshot22
September 3, 2020 1:20 pm
Reply to  Wonderchild

“Ruination” is a word I can hear, and see, Mr. Walken using.

September 3, 2020 10:24 am

In the interest of figuring out what “selling low” would look like, what do people think Hield is worth in the simplest trade terms. Like, what 2020 pick do you think is fair value in a straight Hield-for-pick trade? Or what one player, not considering team context, would Hield on his contract be equal in value to on their contract?

Last edited 1 year ago by BestHyperboleEver
Author
Author
September 3, 2020 10:58 am

Mid to late teens. Better than Belinelli but more expensive.

Myles Turner, give or take a 2nd rounder or two?

September 3, 2020 11:01 am

I’d do a Myles Turner trade, but I don’t think the Pacers want another guard. They’d only want him if they move Oladipo. Maybe there is a three team deal out there?

Buddy to Indy, Turner to Kings, Oladipo to….

September 3, 2020 12:17 pm

On a side note, I’d happily take Goga off their hands.

LesJepsen3pointer
September 3, 2020 10:57 am

Just wait until next year Luke makes Buddy the starting PG or SF. NBA 3.0!

September 3, 2020 10:57 am

The new GM has a tough decision to make, and I think it all comes down to Bogi. If they intend to re-sign him at all costs, then move Buddy. If Bogi is is not the priority then I think you have to hang onto Buddy, and be prepared to let Bogi walk for nothing or get pennies on the dollar in a sign and trade.

I don’t think any reasonable GM is going to want to tie up big money to two players in their prime who excel at the same position. Tying up in what will be close to $40M per year in two shooting guards approaching 30 is a non-starter in my mind.

Now, in terms of asset and roster management, I think you pay for a cheaper Bogi (who in my mind is the better all around player) and you move Buddy. Bogi is also likely to be under market value due to Covid.

IMO, the next GM should only keep one of either Bogi or Buddy.

September 3, 2020 11:05 am

But given that BoBo will need to be re-signed or lost for no return, and Hield’s value is rock-bottom, in order to create your best opportunity to move one of them, you’ll have to give Buddy the opportunity to play himself back to having better value. The team, assuming it signs BoBo, is going to have to carry both of them until one can be moved for someone of use.

September 3, 2020 11:09 am

But wouldn’t they then still have depressed value because any team you are trading with would have leverage knowing you might need to move one of them.

The other problem there is giving Buddy the opportunity to play himself into better value. Walton is still coaching the team, which may mean we see Buddy used the same way next year.

September 3, 2020 11:17 am

You’re never at a disadvantage in a negotiation when you’re the one holding high-value assets. They don’t have to trade either of them. There are worse things than having strong backups, and in a small-ball lineup, it’s very easy to have them on the floor at the same time.

Long-term, it makes sense to move one of them, but whether that happens in the next twelve months, or 12-30 months, assuming that Hield plays back to high-value, the Kings don’t have to settle for being taken in a trade. Ownership can well afford to carry both until that time comes.

September 3, 2020 11:29 am

I think it is fine to currently have both of them on the roster, but that is also because of their contracts. The Kings just paid them a combined $15M but keeping both is gonna be in the ballpark of $40M.

I do agree that you can move one down the road, maybe even a year from now, but not to sure about your idea that ownership can well afford to carry both until that comes.

If they keep Buddy, Bogi, and extend Fox, they are capped out. There would be room for an MLE and minimums, and that’s about it. That would mean not Bazemore, Len, and/or Giles returning. Do you think a new GM would be willing to do that?

September 3, 2020 11:53 am

This is my issue Adam: How we can expect them to compete if they can’t financially keep Buddy, Bogi and De’Aaron?

September 3, 2020 11:59 am

They CAN afford them. The question is if they want to. Or if they can afford them AND improve the team.

September 3, 2020 12:14 pm

This is way too sophisticated to assume the Kings could actually pull this off, BHE.

September 3, 2020 12:17 pm

I’m going to hold out hope until I know who the new FO is.

September 3, 2020 12:20 pm

Hope and the Sacramento Kings is a very bad mixture. Like nitroglycerin, but actually dangerous.