Articles | Breaking News | GM Search

Report: Trajan Langdon declines an interview with the Sacramento Kings

The Pelicans GM will not be a candidate for the open front office position.

According to Will Guillory of The Athletic, current Pelicans General Manager Trajan Langdon has declined an interview with the Sacramento Kings to head up the team's basketball operations.

Langdon's name was linked to Sacramento's search for their new front office leader by Sam Amick and Shams Charania of The Athletic on Tuesday afternoon, but it's important to note that the list was made up of candidates who the Kings wanted to speak with, not candidates who actually hold interest in joining the organization. A highly respected official such as Langdon always felt like a bit of a long shot, as he is well-regarded around the league, already holds the title of General Manager in New Orleans, previously worked under his current boss, David Griffin, in Cleveland, and has one of the most exciting up-and-coming stars in his fold in Zion Williamson.

For now, the Kings will turn their gaze to the remaining five potential hires on their list: Timberwolves EVP Sachin Gupta, Heat assistant GM Adam Simon, Nuggets GM Calvin Booth, Rockets assistant GM Monte McNair and former Hawks GM Wes Wilcox.

A G
18 days ago

Yeah I was expecting that. He has it good where he is now. I’m also expecting Gupta to decline as well. Hoping Simon wants the chance to run his own franchise, cause he also has it good in Miami.

Yazan Ibrahim
Reply to  Dub_TC

Simon has already turned down multiple GM opportunities, I don’t see how it’s any different with one of the worst owners in the entire league

Rob Hessing
18 days ago

“Thank you, but I respectfully decline the demotion to the Sacramento Kangz organization.”

Kevin Lam
18 days ago

“Hear me out. You’re guaranteed to get one or two years paid vacation, on us!”

Last edited 18 days ago by Klam
Ican Hascheezburger

Is breakfast included?

Kevin Lam

Greg Lederman
18 days ago

OK fine, I’ll make the you the GM of our e-sports team too, final offer!

John Parker
18 days ago

And all the headaches that go with it…

andy sims
18 days ago

I’ve heard a lot of very positive things about Langdon, but I’d prefer to go with someone who isn’t a former player. There have been some that have ascended to GM and crushed it, but I want someone who has been thinking about big-picture stuff since they were a kid.

Get me a geek, a dork, or a brilliant doofus. I don’t care if he or she dresses like a local news reporter from the 1970s, I want someone who can see down the road, and strategize accordingly. I want brilliance backed by the will to get things done.

There are people like that out there, including several on the list announced yesterday. Let’s move this franchise forward already.

Greg Wissinger
Admin
18 days ago

I think it’s important to recognize that not all former players are the same. Langdon and Booth weren’t stars, and after they finished playing they works their way up through the ranks in the league. These guys may not have been thinking about stats since they were a kid, but they’ve been thinking about basketball their whole lives. And then they joined organizations and proved they can think about it in ways that are beneficial to front offices. I don’t think we should think of “former players” to just be guys like Vlade and Peja who hadn’t put in the legwork before being put in charge.

Rory Cornell
Reply to  Greg

speaking of former players who worked their way up the ranks, I wonder if this one is interested in the job:

Greg Wissinger
Admin

how dare you

Tom Cutter
18 days ago

Is that the San Antonio Lone Ranger?

Adam Dieter
Reply to  Greg

Hell James Jones went from playing in 2017, to assistant GM that summer, to interim GM in 2018, to full GM in 2019.

Player to GM in 2 years!

Greg Lederman
18 days ago

Lebron James has been a GM for years!

T D
Reply to  Greg

I don’t think there is any correlation/connection between former player versus not, star versus not. You just have to evaluation each candidate.

Good executive/good player:
Jerry West. Danny Ainge. Larry Bird. Joe Dumars (I know it’s mixed, but still built a title team).

Really bad executive/good player:
Magic. MJ. Vlade. Mullin.

Good executive/meh player:
Sean Marks. Etc.

And so on and so forth. This list is not meant to be exhaustive at all (I just went with who I could think of off the top of my head). Point is: it’s a mixed bag no matter how you sub-categorize a GM by their prior player experience or lack thereof.

Eric W
18 days ago

Pat Riley could certainly hang out with Marks there.

Last edited 18 days ago by BestHyperboleEver
T D

For sure:

Riley – Good exec.
Phil Jackson – Bad exec.
Isiah Thomas – disaster and a walking lawsuit.

Geoff Petrie – really good player/really good exec.

And on and on.

Ican Hascheezburger
18 days ago

Is Bird retired? Maybe our French-Lick native Jerry Reynolds could give him a holler.

Scott Perbetsky
18 days ago

You mean someone like Pete D’Alesandro?

I get your concern there just aren’t any absolutes.

T I
Reply to  ScottyPop

Pete didn’t understand Isaiah Thomas’ value on the court. He was not a brilliant doofus, just more of a regular doofus.

Ican Hascheezburger
18 days ago

One step closer to Wilcox. Or Perry.

Vivek, you’ve got a lot of reputation fixing to do

Rik Smits
18 days ago

Yeah, that was my thought too.

Rik Smits

Vivek, you’ve got a lot of reputation fixing to do

Yeah, working on, one shaka sign at a time.

Greg Lederman

Ican Hascheezburger
18 days ago

Looks like Mastrov is trying to figure out how to work his still.

T D
18 days ago

New site just as negative as the old one!

Haters! Why not only positive GM search news?

James Desmond

OK, how about this?

We are positive that Vlade is no longer the Kings’ GM.

Adam Dieter
18 days ago

Not surprised by this. I assume Calvin Booth will do the same.

Greg Wissinger
Admin
18 days ago

It would be surprising if he left Denver so quick

Rory Cornell
Reply to  Greg

Amick had Tim Connelly on his Pod the other day, and I was surprised about how Connelly was openly advocating for members of his staff, including Booth, to get hired elsewhere. I found this interview with Connelly and Booth from July, they really do seem to have the type of relationship in which Connelly would be excited for Booth if he got the opportunity to run his own team.

I’m actually warming up to the idea of bringing in Booth. If I could pick a culture to replicate, Denver’s is probably near the top of the list. They do a really good job of finding talented players they believe are develop-able. Plus we all know the Kings have a great track record of hiring front office execs away from the Nuggets in the past.

Adam Dieter
18 days ago

Are we really ready for another former Kings center to be GM? I mean…really?

In all honesty, what has he really done in Denver. He’s been there 3 years, since August of 2017. What great decisions has he been apart of there? Draft Porter Jr?

T I
18 days ago

Are we really ready for another former Kings center to be GM? I mean…really?

“The Sacramento Kings announced today they have hired Olden Polynice to be the franchise’s next General Manager. Compensation details have not been released, but Vivek Randive did confirm he’ll be allowed to work in a Sacramento Sheriff’s Officer uniform.”

Last edited 18 days ago by Otis
Ican Hascheezburger
18 days ago

I was hoping for Causie, but OP will do.

Last edited 18 days ago by Kosta
Rory Cornell
18 days ago

I’m not too concerned about stuff like that. Denver has one of the best basketball operations in the league. The person in charge felt Booth was qualified to be second in command. There may be better candidates, but Booth is qualified for the job. Coming from Denver’s culture gives him a few bonus points IMO.

18 days ago

Yeah, but will Vivek let him do it?

Kevin Lam
18 days ago

In other news…Joerger might have another job soon.

Last edited 18 days ago by Klam
El Ren
18 days ago

If Pacers hire Joerger it validates what a good coach he is. Pacers are an intelligent organization. Credit to their front office for having the success they’ve had even with the disadvantage of being a small market team.

It would be cool to see Becky Hammon be a head coach as well though.

In Starz
18 days ago

wierd to see him interviewed

thought he’d be continually blacklisted for being the insubordinate punk some believe him to be (Doncic)

didnt get a call last summer. Now he’s surfaced for two jobs so far this summer?

T D
Reply to  Inthestarz

Is this sarcasm?

Serious question, cuz I am not sure if I am missing the tone/intent here.

(PS – I am life tired so I may very well be the idiot in this scenario! 😉 )

Eric W
18 days ago

No, he’s been pushing this one for a while. Just nod and move on.

T D

Thanks. Wasn’t sure.

Rik Smits
18 days ago

Who doesn’t want to sit at home making loads of money after getting fired mid-contract?
I don’t get it.

Tim Go

We suck lmao

Rik Smits
Reply to  Timmy_13

This stuff happens, but [reads notes] it‘s important to express confidence, to express calm.

Tim Go
18 days ago

Yea I wish I had confidence in the Kings.

Eric W
Reply to  Timmy_13

To quote Cloris Leachman in Spanglish, “Lately, your low self-esteem is just good common sense.”

Having confidence in the Kings right now would be nothing short of delusional. Hope? Sure. Faith? Maybe, since faith is always belief without evidence. But not confidence.

Tim Go
18 days ago

The only sports entertainment that’s really keeping me from the shitter is the Golden Knights. It’s such an amazing feeling to feel relevant.

Richie J
Reply to  Timmy_13

Boo!

Maxwell Huss
18 days ago

This is the reality of the situation. A sought-after executive would rather have a lower position with New Orleans than be head of BB Ops in Sacramento.

This isn’t like the Celtics or the Heat we’re talking about. This is the Pelicans. A team we’re supposedly on par with.

I wonder if Vivek will ever wake up. We are a laughingstock. Window dressing won’t do it this time. Do whatever it takes to get a top-notch President of BB Ops. Get out of their way, and let them blow this shit up if they want to.

Eric W
Reply to  AirmaxPG

I don’t think anybody thinks the Kings and Pelicans are on par in terms of direction and vision.

Maxwell Huss
18 days ago

Yeah, that’s why I added in “supposedly”.

I’m sure there are some media members in Sac who think we are right with them.

Last edited 18 days ago by AirmaxPG
Rik Smits
18 days ago

Yeah, we are on par with nobody. We’re in a whole laughing stock league on our own, craning our neck to look up at the Knicks who at least are a desirable location from TV market/commercials revenue perspective.

Maxwell Huss
18 days ago

100% agree. I was only humoring those who still buy into talking heads that speak of this organization as anything other than a rudderless ship run by incompetent buffoons.

18 days ago

Well we’re on par with Chicago, Charlotte and New York on being dysfunctional so there’s that.

Rory Cornell
Reply to  AirmaxPG

On the bright side, if one was looking for signs that Vivek has woke up, then firing Vlade would be the type of thing you’d look for. I’m actually pretty confident they’ll find a competent GM. It may not be a blue chip GM prospect, but there’s plenty of people capable of doing the job to choose from. The real question to me is if ownership is willing to give the new GM the financial resources to hire a competent staff.

Maxwell Huss
18 days ago

I mean, any owner in the NBA would have fired Vlade like 3 years ago… I doubt any NBA team would have ever hired him in the first place. So I mean the fact that we dropped the shittiest GM in the league after 5 wasted years is not really a sign of any competence in my opinion.

Plus the fact it sounds like he wasn’t even fired. Vivek actually floated the idea of co-GM’s with Joe freaking Dumars.

I’m not optimistic we will get anyone competent here. And if we do, will they be allowed to do their job? I’ll believe it when I see it.

Parker Wells
18 days ago

Agree. I also think hiring an agency to help out is a huge step in self reflection for Vivek.

Maxwell Huss
Reply to  Wonderchild

It’s a step in the right direction, but we’ll see if anything good comes out of it. We’ve been hoping this guy will figure it out for 7 years now.

Parker Wells
17 days ago
Reply to  AirmaxPG

I mean, he needs many steps in the right direction. Hiring a qualified President of BBall Ops and getting out of his way would be a giant leap in the right direction.

andy sims
18 days ago

I’m not sure that there are plenty of competent people capable of doing the job, when at any given moment, there are seemingly not even thirty who appear to be able to do the job adequately.

Rory Cornell
18 days ago

Maybe? I just don’t think this stuff is terribly complicated. It’s not like they’re hiring someone to plan a manned mission to Mars. 53% of teams make the playoffs each year, so it’s not like the bar for success is super high.

T I
18 days ago

I suspect it’s actually quite complicated. Maybe the individual “pieces” of the job are easy enough, but putting the whole meal together when you have 29 other GMs competing for assets is another story.

Maxwell Huss
18 days ago

Which is why they need to get it right. This is like chess at the very highest level, and the Kings are playing Candyland.

Rory Cornell
18 days ago

Don’t get me wrong, I understand there’s a lot of stuff involved. I just find it hard to believe that the talent pool is so small that the Kings will have trouble finding a competent candidate that’s willing to accept the job.

Steven Cheng
18 days ago

Not a fan of Wilcox but I guess he wouldn’t be the worst choice. I guess Sacramento is not all that terrible if Pete D is currently an assistant GM for the magic. I hope someone who has a vision and determination to make this team great would want to come and Vivek is dumb enough to not let go his stupid ego

Adam Dieter
Reply to  02kingsfan

I don’t know about that. In looking over his time in Atlanta both as assistant GM and GM, I couldn’t find much of anything that impressed me. I think he is bottom of the barrel material, kind of on par with Pete D’Alessandro

First Last
18 days ago

The Kings leak lots of things to appear competent.

Reality usually paints a much different picture.

Last edited 18 days ago by Marty
Ralph Lawrence Reyes
18 days ago

Welp. I’m guessing the next news would be that Gupta and Simon have declined to be interviewed as well which totally sucks but is understandable. Simon won’t be leaving Miami to go to Sac. And just like Langdon, Gupta was just hired last year by the Wolves under Rosas so he might opt to stay in Minny.

Don’t know much about the other candidates but I guess Booth and Mcnair should be the next logical choice? Man I can imagine most of the candidates would decline to be interviewed and in the end the Kings just might go with Perry or Dumars as the GM.. KANGZ!

Greg Lederman
18 days ago

Langdon just got a raise!

Adam Dieter

Good news.

Rory Cornell
18 days ago

The Dumars thing is still so confusing to me. He went from advisor to GM to interim GM to temporary GM over the course of a month.

Adam Dieter
18 days ago

Hopefully he is just captaining the ship until a new skipper can be found.

Maxwell Huss
18 days ago

It’s *almost* like they have no idea what they are doing.

Adam Dieter
Reply to  AirmaxPG

Maybe he is just there as a buffer to Vivek. He is likely handling all press matters at the moment, because there is literally no one else.

Maxwell Huss
18 days ago

From the outside looking in, it appears that Vivek just wanted to give the job to Dumars… then received pressure from somewhere, changed course and announced a formal search (with Dumars as a candidate). Then some more pressure and another changing of course to announce that Dumars will not be considered.

I really think Vivek just wanted to pull another scenario like with Vlade phasing out Pete… except this time Joe phasing out Vlade. It’s like he is incapable of just clearly stating what he wants to do. Not a good characteristic of a leader.

Rory Cornell
Reply to  AirmaxPG

Obviously. I’m still curious about how it all went down. Was it Vivek’s goal to get rid of both Vlade and Dumars the whole time? Did he actually want Dumars in charge while keeping Vlade in a lesser role? Did the minority owners force some sort of course correction? I’d just be interested in knowing how they got from point a to point b.

Last edited 18 days ago by RORDOG
Parker Wells
18 days ago

Did Vivek hire Dumars just to fire Vlade?

Adam Dieter
Reply to  Wonderchild

Hasn’t Dumars been “around” for over a year now? Part of me wonders how much time Dumars has actually spent in Sacramento as opposed to being on some kind of Zoom call. Was he in the bubble or seen courtside prior to Covid?

Rory Cornell
18 days ago

That’s the thing. He was in Orlando. There were reports that Dumars and Vivek hatched this plan while sitting together watching the Kings play.

Colin Keiner
18 days ago

Why don’t they just rip the bandage off and announce MK as GM?

Just go full chaotic neutral.

Maxwell Huss
18 days ago

I’d rather they just rip the bandage off and announce MK as unemployed. Then bring back a few lower-level workers who were recently laid off.

James Desmond
18 days ago

Nah. Go full chaotic evil and hire KAAAAAAAHN.

Rob Yung
18 days ago

“Introducing your new Kings GM – Luke Walton”

Ican Hascheezburger
Reply to  JoeNoSay

Say no, Joe!

trackback

[…] of the six reported candidates (Trajan Langdon and Adam Simon) have withdrawn themselves from the Kings interview process. That leaves Sachin […]