Articles | Breaking News | GM Search

Kings have requested permission to interview several GM candidates, per report

Shams and Amick report that interviews could begin this week.

The Sacramento Kings have officially identified and requested permission to interview six GM candidates, according a report from The Athletic's Sam Amick and Shams Charania.

The list, according to the report, includes the following candidates:

Timberwolves executive vice president Sachin Gupta, Heat assistant general manager Adam Simon, Nuggets GM Calvin Booth, Pelicans GM Trajan Langdon, Rockets assistant GM Monte McNair and former Hawks GM Wes Wilcox.

There's a lot on this list to be excited about. Sachin Gupta has assistant GM experience with multiple teams and is a CBA expert. Adam Simon is a draft expert who began is career as an intern with the Heat in 1995, rose through the ranks, and has been learning directly under Pat Riley for years.

Calvin Booth is a former player who spent years as a scout after his playing days ended, and worked his way up to the GM job with the Denver Nuggets. Trajan Langdon is another former player turned exec, who spent years as assistant GM for the Brooklyn Nets (under Sean Marks) before going to the Pelicans to work under David Griffin. Monte McNair is an analytics guru, and heads up the analytics department for the Houston Rockets.

Wes Wilcox is possibly the least exciting name, as he last worked several years ago as an assistant GM with the Hawks before he was promoted in the wake of Danny Ferry's dismissal. Wilcox was fired by the Hawks in 2017.

Notably absent from this list is former Kings assistant GM Scott Perry.

Amick and Shams added that interviews could begin as early as this week.

Kevin Lam
19 days ago

Let’s hope this search in the end actually ends with a good hire, and that the new GM will be given the control he needs to do his job.

Also…

Notably absent from this list is former Kings assistant GM Scott Perry.

comment image?itemid=9964617

Last edited 19 days ago by Klam
19 days ago

Maybe Vivek really does read TKH!

(Hi, Vivek!)

J Man

Not on the list?

♪♪
He shouldn’t be on,
Though he has Vivek appeal
No he shouldn’t be on,
Think of how most Kings fans feel
Oh we’ve gotta get a dreamer (gotta get a dreamer, oh)
Yeah, it’s gotta be someone else (someone else)
Scott Perry’s time is over (over by now)

No Perry, no love
Move on, move on
No Perry, no love
Move on, move on

Yeah you chose to be gone
Long ago, far away
And it’s good that you’re gone
With the Knicks where you should stay

No Perry, no love
Move on, move on
No Perry, no love
Move on, move on
♪♪

Reply to  Jman1949

My Neighbor Turturro
19 days ago

I have an aunt that has harbored an obsession with two people for most of her life; Steve Perry and Mike Bibby. She cites this clip of him as her favorite Steve Perry appearance, despite seeing Journey myriad times and standing for a combined dozens of hours in line at Tower to meet him. Was the ‘stache really that bad?

i LOVE Steve Perry!

I think he shaved the moustache off because the fans probably demanded it. I’m not sure, though. Or perhaps it was a story arc in the music video for Faithfully?

Personally I prefer moustache-less Steve.

Man, that would be awesome to have met him at Tower. I’ll have to settle for driving by his boyhood hometown of Hanford, California next time I visit Sequoia National Park, and maybe seeing the radio station his family ran that is there, that was the inspiration for the Raised On Radio album cover.

I loved Mike Bibby as a player, but I’ve read some accounts on here and on the olde site that paint him in a not so purple light. Still, I’d be curious to see him with a moustache as well.

T I
19 days ago

I’m not ElRon old, but I’m old enough to have been a fan of Journey BEFORE Steve Perry. And of Chicago BEFORE Peter Cetera.

One of those bands was improved by the change, and one was horribly, irrevocably ruined.

19 days ago

Shoot, now I’m sweating wondering which one is which in your scenario. I enjoy Steve Perry and Peter Cetera. I mean, what would Karate Kid part 2 be without Peter Cetera professing “I am the man, who will fight for your honor”? Karate Kid Part 2, Electric Boogaloo?

Somewhat on this subject….I know you’re more of a Kiss fan, but I’ve been revisiting my old Heavy Metal albums and I’m discovering what I always knew to be true:

Ronnie James Dio > Ozzy Osbourne.

Come at me, bros!

Last edited 19 days ago by Kosta
19 days ago

For Van Halen, though, I enjoy the maturation they went through with Hagar, but Diamond Dave is much more fun.

19 days ago

…Also, Chrissy was funny. Cindy was a bad actor. Terri was nice.

T I
19 days ago

I really enjoyed both at the time, but I was a Hagar fan before he joined VH. But definitely more fun with DLR.

T I
19 days ago

Pre-Cetera was about the sound. Chicago-Cetera was about Cetera. Tragic!

Jeromy Simonoff
18 days ago

I’ll say, I liked Dio more than I liked Ozzy in regards to their solo careers. But Black Sabbath was always Ozzy’s band, the RJD version just doesn’t compare IMO.

Reply to  Sacto_J

Yeah, I agree with you about Black Sabbath for sure. And to be clear, I LOVE Ozzy as well. I love a lot of his solo stuff, too.

My Neighbor Turturro
18 days ago

As much as I love Karate Kid II, if it had the Electric Boogaloo moniker attached to it, it’d likely be a much better movie. Breakdancing battles and petulant-child Daniel LaRusso getting his ass handed to him every ten minutes? Also, Cannon Films made the Breakin’ movies. If you’re unfamiliar with them, they were responsible for nearly every Chuck Norris, Van Damme, and Dolph Lungren movie that you watched in the 1980s, the horrible Superman sequels, and a ton of icky Bo Derek sex dramas. They were also notoriously cheap, so Cetera definitely wouldn’t have made the cut.

18 days ago

Someone needs to make a youtube edit of Karate Kid II and Electric Boogaloo like you described.

Yeah, Cannon Films! I do know what you speak of, and have watched some of their 80’s films. I really appreciate that stuff. Sometimes you want to listen to classical and baroque music, and sometimes you want to listen to pop and rock and some light-hearted wacky stuff. My favorite movies include highly-regarded auteur films as well as lots of cheesy stuff. It’s all there to enjoy for what mood you are in at the time!

Also, now I have some Peter Cetera song stuck in my head.

First Last
19 days ago

Have you seen the documentary “The Terry Kath Experience”? It’s EXCELLENT.

I’m of the VH age, I think I was around 18 when they made the switch. I saw both versions in concert. DLR may have the balls, but I find the Roth version unlistenable now, and have been known to say; “It’s amazing we even LISTENED to him back then, his vocals are SO bad.”

In my mind, Eddie Van Halen never worked with great songwriters, which is what he and his brother needed. His stuff ages not badly, but TERRIBLY.

A few songs from Van Hagar are really the only VH songs I can still listen to, Dreams, Feels so Good, and 5150 are about it. I once piled five people into my VW Rabbit to see the 0U812 tour at the Spectrum, let’s just say the late-80’s Washington DC/Philly party favors were alive that day. I’m glad I’m still here and made a full 180.

Anyway.

Journey with Steve Perry ROCKS. Some of the best pop-rock ever made. When I first kissed a girl playing spin-the-bottle it was moist certainly Escape and Foreigner 4 that helped my cause.

Greg Lederman
19 days ago

I became team Van Hagar after the For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge tour at the Cow Palace around ‘91, but the real shame is “what could have been” if the VH bros weren’t so paranoid/ego-driven/etc..

T I
19 days ago

Was it? Look at this handsome devil, sans stache:

My Neighbor Turturro
18 days ago

Oh, I definitely prefer the ‘stacheless version of Perry, and the afroless version of Neil Schon. Couldn’t name another member if you paid me, though.

Greg Lederman
Reply to  Jman1949

Oh Scott Perry….I’m not in love.

My Neighbor Turturro
Reply to  Gregoryl

Well now I know what’s going to be stuck in my head for the next 48 hours or so.

Greg Lederman

19 days ago

Adam Simon really intrigues me. He comes from solid stock down there in Miami. He’s also go a kick ass first name.

Last edited 19 days ago by Adamsite
Kevin Lam
19 days ago

Yeah, Simon interests me the most of those names.

Kas Keyes
19 days ago

I agree. Simon does have a great first name. Simon Adam is very intriguing.

Gary Hart
19 days ago

So it sounds like you’re saying it’ll be Wilcox.

My Neighbor Turturro
Reply to  SacReligious

Phenomenal choice on your user handle.

J Man
19 days ago

Gupta’s connection with Hinkie makes him an intriguing possibility.

Reply to  Jman1949

And Morey. He’s worked with both.

19 days ago

It’s refreshing to see names with good qualifications and experience on their resume’.

Such a stark contrast to our last GM.

Kevin Lam
19 days ago

And the fact that they seem to be actively searching for one, rather than just going ahead and hiring a guy to run the team with no experience and not searching for anyone.

Rik Smits
19 days ago

we have to get Gupta so I can nickname him The Trade Machine (he invented it). Such an improvement over the Coke Machine.

But seriously, this looks like a solid group of candidates.

Last edited 19 days ago by RikSmits
Hong Kong Kings Fan
19 days ago

But it seems our owner Vivek loves “Coke Machine”

19 days ago

The list reflects: a base of candidates that could become a legitimate GM; but excludes all of the expensive potential candidates. It’s possible that every pricey candidate passed when approached. But, much more likely, the budget played a role in shaping the field.

The one time Sacramento hired a real GM. They did a real search in conjunction with targeting Petrie and paying real money to entice him to come to basketball hell.

The odds associated with trying to hire a young up and coming GM on the cheap are tough.

If you skip past the macro choice, this looks respectable. To me, the budget and non-player allocation of funds are incorrect and play a large role in why the Kings fail.

Rik Smits
Reply to  4on5

I hear what you say, but which experienced GM with a good track record (so a person desired by many teams) would realistically want to come here?

19 days ago

If Jerry West wants to prove he’s so great, what better way to prove it than to turn around this Sacramento Kings franchise?

Come on, Jerry–I dare ya!

Last edited 19 days ago by Kosta
Kevin Lam

andy sims
19 days ago

Didn’t Jerry West hire Luke Walton?

Disqualifying.

Richie J
19 days ago

I believe that was Magic Johnson.

Greg Lederman
Reply to  richie88

That sounds about right.

Hong Kong Kings Fan
19 days ago

So, that’s why I wanted Doncic, Durant, Curry to prove they are so great…
Just come to Sac_Town and turn this franchise around…

19 days ago

If the pay was high enough, there would be 2 or 3 better candidates heading into interviews.

Instead, they hope to make a smart and cheap hire.

If anyone doesn’t think the Kings budget for salaries, scouting departments, ect. didn’t limit the reachable candidates, then I’d say you are wrong.

If it’s more “Ok, but otherwise good” and “but so much better than the last two times”, I’d say: (1) people are focused on the wrong problems and/or solutions; (2) good luck crawling out of basketball hell in a small market on the cheap.

Rik Smits
Reply to  4on5

Give names, please.

19 days ago

Give responses to macro arguments and use logic please (I’ll wait)

Rik Smits
Reply to  4on5

Ah this is about Macro stuff, not about actual viable candidates? Gotcha.

Also, the typical capitalist mindset that money is the solution to everything is not logic, IMO.

Jake Whitaker
Reply to  4on5

So again, who isn’t on this list that you think should be?

Morey hasn’t been fired yet. Hinkie is blacklisted. Webster? Maybe he just wasn’t interested. Michael Winger? Idk.

Who are these top flight executives that are supposedly on the market that we’re missing out on because we aren’t offering enough?

Maxwell Huss
Reply to  jdwhit

I think that is kind of the point 4on5 was getting at (correct me if I’m wrong)… WHY wouldn’t someone like Webster be interested? He’s not calling the shots in his current position. The Kings could theoretically offer him complete decision-making power at a significantly higher salary.

So it’s possible he’s content in his current position, maybe for family reasons. But if that is not the case and we’re just too cheap to go after the top candidates, I think that’s noteworthy. Seeing as how this is likely the most important hire the Kings have had to make in at least 5 years.

Worst case scenario is of course, if any conditions are placed on the incoming GM to limit their decision-making authority. That’s a sure way to stay irrelevant for another decade or so.

Rory Cornell
Reply to  4on5

I agree with your general point, but not necessarily the tone of your argument here. Typically, I find that anybody that attempts to use the logic card is probably not trying to have a conversation in good faith.

One thing I’d probably disagree with you with is acceptable outcomes with respect to allocation of resources. I think it’s okay to spend a little less on the top guy if the plan is to ensure the new hire can afford to put together a top-notch staff.

Jerry Reynolds
Reply to  4on5

Actually Petrie was let go by Portland and hired for little money at that time ! Was a great hire and Petrie made a lot of money during Maloof era !

Reply to  rockbottom

He was in demand. I do not believe he came cheap when Thomas retained him. Pretty sure you are wrong.

The late 80s-early 90 Blazers were among the better teams to not win a title. He was let go but had options. It’s close to Morey perhaps becoming available this summer.

Kevin Salvadori
Reply to  4on5

I’m not quite sure I know what you’re arguing. Is it that they need to dump a truck full of cash at Bobby Webster or Mike Zarren and force them to come? They have good reasons to stay where they are. These are also very good names, and all but one is currently employed in a top executive position. I am perfectly fine with this list, you can’t force a top executive to leave a winning team based on money alone. Gupta, Booth, and Langdon have routinely appeared in GM search lists. If you’re looking for a “top executive”, you’re talking about 5 or 6 people, each from the top 5 teams. That’s a big ask, and their incentive to leave is very low.

Maxwell Huss
Reply to  KevinSalvadori

I think we could be underestimating how much ego comes into play for professionals at this level. If you have a great job at a great company, it’s possible you are just content. But if you have an opportunity to be THE guy and get a pay raise, I think chances are good you will at least consider it.

I mean, the guy who turns around the Kings franchise will probably be a legend.

I think what some may be concerned about is that there might be top-level execs interested in this job. But perhaps either money or our own egotistical owner are getting in the way.

This list of candidates is fine. Maybe a diamond in there (Gupta)… but there is a definite top tier of potential candidates who appear to not even be getting consideration. And I think that is noteworthy.

Jerry Reynolds
Reply to  4on5

He was let go but Paul Allen and available ! No other jobs open at that time and he came at a very low figure ! Guarantee this is true !

Jerry Reynolds
19 days ago

Hope one of these people are able to do the job ! Much like hiring an assistant coach to be head coach based on the success of others he has worked for ! Sometimes it works like Marks, Presti, Franks but sometimes it is Delasandro, Brand, Paxton et all ! Would prefer a proven winner like Pritchard , Ainge or Presti ! At least try !

andy sims
Reply to  rockbottom

Shit, there goes our exclamation point budget for FY 2020-2021.

19 days ago

Wilcox, who might be my least favorite option, was interviewed for the Bulls GM job and didn’t get it. He also comes with some baggage over with some racial remarks he made and was then disciplined by the Hawks. He was with the Hawks from 2012-17.

19 days ago

It should be noted that Wilcox resigned a few months after his discipline by the Hawks and hasn’t worked with an NBA team since.

(crosses Wilcox off list)comment image

Rory Cornell
19 days ago

Personally, I don’t necessarily think it’s a dealbreaker. He made an ill-advised, yet self-deprecating, joke about his own family which is mixed race. I think it’s probably okay to put the punishment at time served for that type of thing.

Richie J
19 days ago

His résumé is the dealbreaker for me.

19 days ago

I forgot to mention that he once stated on record that he thinks Rordogs are overrated.

Rory Cornell
19 days ago

hmm never mind I wouldn’t trust that bum to be the night manager at ampm let alone the GM of the Kings

Last edited 19 days ago by RORDOG
19 days ago

Breaking: Kings interview local AM/PM manager for GM position.

Last edited 19 days ago by Kosta
T I
19 days ago

Nobody should have to start a job with that type of baggage. It’s not quite Bagley over Doncic baggage, but close.

Greg Lederman
19 days ago

Reading all these articles about Gupta fleecing the Kings reminds me about how bad Peaches was at his job. He wasn’t just a shill, he was just wrong time and time and time again.

First Last
Reply to  Gregoryl

You’re not wrong if you’re lying, you’re just lying.

Jake Whitaker
19 days ago

Sachin Gupta. We have the opportunity to literally hire the guy who built the trade machine.

Also, he’s apparently pretty good at trades.

Greg Lederman
19 days ago

Why would Booth and Langdon make lateral GM moves to the Kings?

Reply to  Gregoryl

I was just about to post the very same thing. They are already GM of two up and coming teams. Are their contracts up?

Jake Whitaker
Reply to  Gregoryl

It depends on what Joe Dumars’ role is going forward. If he isn’t going to have veto power over the GM, then it would be a step up for both since Langdon is under Griff and Booth is under Tim Connelly.

Last edited 19 days ago by jdwhit
Reply to  jdwhit

Ahhh, I didn’t realize that. Thanks for the clarification.

Eric W
Reply to  jdwhit

This exactly. All GM positions aren’t the same. Some are the key decision makers. Many are not.

Richie J
Reply to  jdwhit

I thought that was probably the case (though I didn’t know that Langdon’s from Sacramento).

Jake Whitaker
Reply to  richie88

I had to redact that out of the original post, actually. I got him mixed up with the Clippers GM Michael Winger.

Eric W
Reply to  jdwhit

Is Winger from Sac. I know Trent Redden is.

Jake Whitaker
19 days ago

Nope, you’re right. Blah. I am striking out today on these Sac connections.

Reply to  jdwhit

Striking out….Sac connections…. Steve Sax?comment image

Last edited 19 days ago by Kosta
Greg Lederman

Trent Reznor? Still
more qualified than
Vlade was.

Richie J
Reply to  Gregoryl

They hold the title of GM, but they might not actually make decisions for their teams.

Kevin Salvadori
Reply to  Gregoryl

Very possible they become a VP as well, or are considered for it. They could build a whole front office, and dictate strategic direction. That’s very enticing.

Jeromy Simonoff
Reply to  KevinSalvadori

I’d rather give that kind of executive power to someone with actual experience and proven success like Morey or Ainge. You don’t give that kind of autonomy to a rookie GM, IMO.

Richie J
Reply to  Sacto_J

I’d think that giving that power to the people who are being interviewed is better than giving that power to Vivek.

Last edited 18 days ago by richie88
Richie J
19 days ago

Simon, Booth & McNair sound like the most intriguing candidates based on the article (w/Simon sounding like the best candidate). Gupta sounds intriguing based on what I’m reading in the comments.

Reply to  richie88

I wonder if Simon wants to leave Miami. I’m sure the job is his if Riley were to retire. Riley is 75 and has to be thinking about hanging it up soon.

Richie J
19 days ago

That’s an interesting thought, but Idk the answer.

Gary Harmer
Reply to  richie88

Also sounds like a law firm

Kevin Salvadori
19 days ago

This is a good set of candidates, wouldn’t shock me if this is one of two waves of interviews. Of this list, Langdon, Simon, and Gupta intrigue me most. I also respect that most come from teams who have turned a corner, development-wise, these last few years.

Not a big fan of Wilcox though. The off-color joke about his wife and somewhat shaky tenure don’t sell me enough. I think the others all demonstrate a depth and pedigree that would provide more vision for a strategic direction, which is what I think is most vital with Vivek. That, and him staying the hell out of the way.

Reply to  KevinSalvadori

Wilcox’s personal issues aside, his GM and assistant GM history really doesn’t impress me that much. Between 2012-17 as assistant and GM the Hawks only draft picks of note are Dennis Schroder and Kelly Oubre, both of whom were traded away.

Reply to  Greg

This is true. Got to keep things in perspective. Wilcox would still be a hundred times better than Vlade.

Parker Wells
19 days ago

It’s too early in the search for perspective. Wait until the 7th round of interviews for the “he’ll be better than Vlade” justifications.

Reply to  Wonderchild

Perry is coming in the 7th round, isn’t he?

19 days ago

He also dismantled the Horford, Milsap, Teague, Korver Hawks. Oh, he also gave Bazemore the ridiculous 4 year $70M contract that the Kings just expired.

Parker Wells
19 days ago

I wonder if this is the final list? or just the list of candidates we had to ask permission to interview.

I agree with most of you saying Gupta or Simon would be Home Runs.

Richie J
Reply to  Wonderchild

I’m guessing this is the 1st group of candidates.

Eric W
19 days ago

I think, based on this list, my first choice may be Gupta heading up BBOps and someone with a scouting/player dev background like Tolzman as “GM.”

J Man
19 days ago

The headline for the Amick/Shams posting actually refers to this list as candidates for the BBOps position:

Candidates for Kings’ head of basketball ops emerge as formal search begins

Parker Wells
Reply to  Jman1949

You mean it isn’t the same position?

Richie J
Reply to  Wonderchild

Most of the current NBA FO’s seem to have the head of BB Ops as the person making decisions & the GM as the 2nd in command.

Last edited 19 days ago by richie88
Eric W
Reply to  richie88

Think of it as the head of BBOps sets the vision and gives final sign off, while the GM does the legwork.

Doug Scott
19 days ago

Yeah player development needs to be our calling card. That’s why I like Simon the most. But if Gupta could bring in a large development staff, then I would be for that

Parker Wells
Reply to  Dougscott

My only worry about pulling Simon from Miami is that he would need a completely different strategy here than what worked in Miami. The Heat traditionally have a winning culture, and have always been a pretty good free agency destination because of locale, state taxes, etc. Most of his draft acumen is revolved around already having that star or stars to build around. How does he get that star here in the first place?

Reply to  Wonderchild

He traded for Butler without having a star in Miami. Last year’s Miami team was 10th in the East and their leading scorer was Richardson at 16PPG. From what I read, they were targeting Butler while he was still in Minnesota.

Last edited 18 days ago by Adamsite
Eric W
18 days ago

It was a S&T though. So Butler obviously had to choose Miami basically as a FA.

That said, I generally believe smart people will adjust to their situations. I don’t think Hinkie would come in a do exactly what he did in Philly. I don’t think Presti could only be successful in an OKC situation. Any good GM wouldn’t just cut and paste their previous strategy onto a new franchise. They would assess the new orgs unique strengths and weaknesses and go from there. David Griffin didn’t walk into NO and base his strategy on signing LeBron.

Parker Wells
18 days ago

I’m not denying that. Just saying he got Butler because they had max space, and Miami is traditionally a popular free agent destination. Some based on the history of the franchise, some is the Pat Riley factor, and some is the locale.

We have none of that here. Having max space doesn’t mean a star will come here.

Eric W
Reply to  Wonderchild

I agree. I just wouldn’t assume that attracting a star in FA is the only tool in Simon’s bag just because that’s what he did most recently in his last job.

Kings Guru21
19 days ago

Proof will be in the pudding. But this is a fairly encouraging list.

K W
19 days ago

OT: Can somebody explain to me why the Kings maintain ties with Mike Bibby and use him in promotional materials after he got fired from high school school coaching job for “allegedly” sexually harassing/assaulting a teacher? I just saw another Kings post on Facebook with a big Bibby photo. Asking for a friend.

Reply to  AmateurNerd

I think it’s so there’s variety in the Season Ticket promotional videos. If it’s all Jason Williams all the time, fans might ask for discounts.

K W
19 days ago

Yeah it’d be nice to have promotional video from some time in the most recent 10 years, but that just narrows it down to Cousins, Collison, Barnes, and Kevin Johnson, so not much of an improvement over Bibby on the ol’ abuse-of-women front. Seriously, why do we still like this team at all?

Kas Keyes
Reply to  AmateurNerd

That’s a serious question. I’m 22 years in deep. 5/14/98. The day we traded for Webber. Man I was sold. I have no idea why I’ve held on so long. I’m like still proud too…go figure.

Carl Spackler
Reply to  AmateurNerd

While great on a number of social issues, the Kings have been absolutely abysmal over the last half-decade in regards to anything regarding violence against women.

Reply to  AmateurNerd

I didn’t see that article at all. Man that’s disappointing.

Ralph Lawrence Reyes
19 days ago

Hope this isn’t the entire list of candidates. Still hoping they could somehow request an interview with Webster but I think Ujiri won’t let him go which is understandable. Still a solid list but only 2 of them excites me. First choice would be Gupta and the other is Simon. We land one of those guys to be our new GM and I’ll be ecstatic!

J Man

OT—FYI to the mods:

I’m seeing commenters actual names appearing briefly in the new comment notifications.

Reply to  Jman1949

And why does that worry you, Jerry Reynolds?

Last edited 19 days ago by Kosta
J Man
19 days ago

Because now everyone will see that I have multiple screen names, so I can give multiple thumbs down to comments I don’t like!

Reply to  Jman1949

A-Ha! Otisection1951_1949!

Reply to  Jman1949

I do like that there is someone amongst us that has the “real” name as Grant Napear.

In Starz

No Hinkie?

Didnt know Booth was in the FO.. not trying to be childish or offensive, but I mostly remember him for his non modelish looks.

Reply to  Inthestarz

He’s no Vlade Divac! comment image:large

J Man
19 days ago

That image has left quite an imprint on my brain!

Gary Harmer

Hes no Reggie Theus

index.jpg
Reply to  Widowwolf

Reggie Theus could become the first ever Sacramento person to be player, coach, and GM!

Last edited 19 days ago by Kosta
David Echard
19 days ago

I live in Miami. Simon is clearly the front runner here. Simon was heavily recruited last season by a number of NBA teams and decided to stay in Miami. It will be very difficult for him to leave Miami. He was an integral reason Miami picked up a number of late round gems. Nunn, Adebyo, Robinson, Herro, Jones, Etc. He was also instrumental in picking up Butler. This Heat team has a legit shot at winning the championship. They are highly disciplined, play intense 48 minutes, and bow down to no team. That would include any team that comes out of the West. Simon will want Absolute, Complete control. There is no way he leaves Miami, otherwise.

Parker Wells
Reply to  SelecaoKOJ

Simon’s draft record? Sold.
Simon’s free agent signings? Sold.
Simon requiring absolute, complete control? Sold.

Kas Keyes
Reply to  Wonderchild

AND 1!!!!!!!

Reply to  SelecaoKOJ

Yeah, this is who I am hoping for. But I don’t think we can get him, for the “Complete control”reason.

Hoping to be happily shocked!

Reply to  SelecaoKOJ

If he built that with the limited capspace Miami had last season then yes, give him complete control over everything, even my bank accounts.

Bill Monroe
19 days ago

The candidate who suggests to sell this year’s draft picks for cash will be the one selected. The Kings are too poor to get a talented candidate.

Michael McKay
19 days ago

I have to say, I am not one to make a lot of comments on what might have been (this is my first comment ever on Luka), as my Dad says, you can’t refry an egg, but seeing the Kings finally move on from Vlade, in addition to watching so much playoff basketball, really makes me think back to the 2018 draft. With Joeger really doing a good job of getting the team to push the ball, one can only think what a starting line up of WCS-Barnes-Luka-Buddy-Fox could have done, probably sprinted to 43-45 wins.

Then we had 2019 Free Agency, with a hole in the middle, and we could have offered Vucevic 4yr/110-120 (he stayed in Orlando for 4/100), and not bothered with Ariza/Dedmon/Joseph, and still had money to fill out the roster. We would have a Fox-Heild-Luka-Barnes-Vuke starting five with Bogi, Belly, Harry, and Yogi, and then had 10-12 million to fill in a defensive guard, wing, and one more big. Dallas would probably have matched a better offer than the 3yr 12m they gave Dorian Finny-Smith, but in addition to Richuan getting the exemption, there was Ed Davis & JaMychal Green at the same price point. Cheap wings included Stanley Johnson, Justin Holiday, Garrett Temple, Glenn Robinson III, Alex Burks, Mario Henjoza, and Rondae Hollis Jefferson all getting contracts under 4.7 to as low as 1.8.  Trey Burke, Emmanuel Muddiay, Michael Carter Williams, and Isaiah Thomas could have filled the back up pg, and the fourth or fifth big could been filled for less than 3mill with Nerlens Noel, Kyle O’Quinn both signed for minimum.

Fox-Burke-Yogi
Heild-Bogi
Luka-Hollis-Jefferson (Green)
Barnes-Bjelly
Vukivic-Holmes (Noel) -Harry

I think that could have been a realistic path forward, and a very good team.

Reply to  MichaelMack

That is why a GM needs to plan years ahead. Good GMs do this. We haven’t had that kind of GMing since near the turn of the century.

As an example, the Miami Heat have set themselves up to be a major player in free agency for Giannis. The writing is on the wall. They have put together the ultimate presentation/proposal to him this year and will have the cap space to get him (and others) in free agency in 2021.

I’d out money on Giannis moving to Miami in 2021.

Michael McKay
19 days ago

He should go to Miami. Playing with Spolestra would be terrific for him.

19 days ago

Especially with Miami winning it all this year.

Eric W
Reply to  MichaelMack

Even better, if they had drafted Luka they probably wouldn’t have traded for Barnes. Much less overpaid him to stay.

andy sims
19 days ago

This is why I come here: To get the gist of articles that I’m too cheap to pay for.

First Last
19 days ago

Whoever the new hire is needs to first consult with Mike Malone and learn what the secret is to not destroying your career.

Uche Igwe
19 days ago

Thunder are now in the market for a new head coach. I’m shocked.

Reply to  Ifeanyi

Please, please, please get Billy D as our coach and send Luke Walton to wherever there are easy to look at women.

Reply to  Ifeanyi

Whoa, I can’t believe they just let him walk. I’d say he’s a top 10 coach in the league. I wonder if the Thunder are having financial issues.

Ralph Lawrence Reyes
18 days ago

Nahh I think it came down to the Thunder wanting to do a rebuild next year and Donovan probably doesn’t want to deal with it. Makes sense to do a rebuild now with all the draft picks and of course the 2021 draft is LOADED with talent. Presti is a smart GM.

Reply to  RAP87

You may be right. OKC really is going to have an impact on the league this offseason. If they blow it up by moving CP3 or Adams, they could help re-landscape the NBA.

One team I could see making a play for CP3, and has the space to do it, is Miami. Iguodala, Olynyk and a pick may land CP3 in South Beach.

Greg Lederman
18 days ago

OKC doesn’t want the Iggy headache. Would love to see the kings move buddy and others for CP3.

Eric W