30Q | Articles

30Q: What constitutes success this season?

How will you judge whether this season is successful or not?

Sacramento Kings fans have a reasonably low bar for success. After 15 years without a playoff appearance, we don't have lofty targets to keep us happy. But there are still differences among us as far as what we would consider success.

Is it a successful season if the Kings make the play-in? Do they need to make the 8th seed or better? Or is it enough to see growth from players like Fox, Haliburton, and Mitchell?

Personally, I see anything short of the making the playoffs as a failure. And to clarify, the play-in is not the playoffs. At the end of the play-in tournament, the Kings need to be the 8th seed or higher or I'll consider this season a failure. The front office is clearly making moves with the goal of being a win-now team, and so that is how I will choose to judge their success or lack thereof.

But what about you? What are you looking for this season? Where are you setting your expectations? Let us know in the comments.

1951
September 24, 2021 1:45 pm

Making the playoffs is an obvious marker.

That said, I don’t know if it’s enough for me. What I mean is that I don’t want them just squeaking into the playoffs by winning a play-in game or two or by having the West have down year after the Seventh seed.

It’s time to see some real improvement. I hope to see significant moves made this year to upgrade both the roster and the coaching staff. My nightmare would be to see the Kings compete just enough to satisfy the hard-hitting local media and fanbase, allowing the team to bring back Walton and take no risks in upgraded the top end-talent on the roster.

Last edited 3 months ago by 1951
September 24, 2021 1:49 pm

Oh, i don’t know…….

Last edited 3 months ago by Kosta
September 24, 2021 2:01 pm

Who needs that P-word when we’ve got plenty of the OTHER P-word!

Last edited 3 months ago by Klam
EnglishKing
September 24, 2021 2:15 pm

Who needs either of these P-words when we’re gonna get plenty of the other P-word!

PHILM

Hippity_Hop_Barbershop
September 24, 2021 1:52 pm

When do we face relegation?

Marty
September 24, 2021 1:53 pm

For me the only expectation I’ve had for the last two years was to attend a few games while buying cheap tickets and moving down, not buying any food, and having a good time. That ship has sailed, the expectations are all gone.

I do not see myself listening to games on the radio as I have in years past, since I lost interest in that last year. We’re about to drop cable, so I won’t be watching games, and I have no interest in seeing the team or unpacking G1C anymore because I’ve climbed over every inch of that place both professionally and personally.

So I think I’m one of those fans that has turned away in a significant manner.

deepshot22
September 24, 2021 1:56 pm

I’m terribly afraid the organization would see 32 wins as a success.

alec26
Comments
Comments
September 25, 2021 12:01 pm
Reply to  deepshot22

32 wins would be a failure. 42 wins and winning season. Hey, they’re moving in the right direction.

September 24, 2021 2:00 pm

Success would be getting a new coach… 😉

Last edited 3 months ago by Klam
SMF-PDXConnection
September 24, 2021 2:02 pm

Success for me is maximum entertainment.

Entertainment, to me, is drama; the Kings are my soap opera. They are not to be taken even remotely seriously in any basketball or professional sports way whatsoever until noted otherwise.

So, give me zaniness, give me complete stupidity, give me all the Shaqtin moments. I want to see Walton try and break another clipboard and realize it’s metal after hurting his leg trying to snap it. I want to see announce a special fan night guest DJed by someone who turns out to be anti-vax and create a social media mess. I want a shaka photo of Vivek courtside with his next 90s celebrity guest Pauly Shore. I want a player’s only meeting after eight games.

Yakshi
September 24, 2021 2:02 pm

No nine-game losing streaks.

This is the season we break through and go for double digits.

September 24, 2021 2:09 pm

I’m a bit conflicted, because I do think that playoffs ought to be the goal, and that with some breaks, it is possible, and maybe even reasonable. A lot of players are going to need to level up, which includes the rookie.

On the other hand, I’m concerned that if this improved roster (and possible changes to it as the season plays out) does make the playoffs, there will be a push to extend Walton a few more years. I simply do not believe that he can oversee a truly successful basketball team, and if the Kings make the playoffs, it will be in spite of him, and not because.

Luke Walton is not a winner. He knows a lot of them, but it hasn’t rubbed off on him at all.