Articles | NBA Draft

2020 Kings Herald Draft Board: Pick No. 7

LaMelo Ball is off the board. Who will be next?

With 32.1% of the vote, LaMelo Ball is off the board.  He joins Anthony Edwards, James Wiseman, Deni Avdija, Killian Hayes and Tyrese Haliburton.

When a choice comes up, pick who you'd want the Kings to pick given all the players remaining.  Note: THIS IS NOT A MOCK DRAFT. This is a draft board, a ranked list of prospects you'd like to see the Kings pick. In other words, if we were the Kings front office, when our pick came up, we'd take the top name left on our board. So pick your choice, not who you think Monte McNair or anyone else would choose in a slot.

Explain your choice in the comments, and lobby for who should be added to the next pick's choices.

Bryant
Member
Author
Author
November 9, 2020 9:02 am

LaMelo over Isaac Okoro for a Kings team that hasn’t had a good defender in a decade… now you’re all just purposely trying to hurt my feelings.

Jokes aside, I’ve understood (if not agreed) with each pick up to this point, but Isaac Okoro is absolutely the best player left on the board.

Last edited 11 months ago by Bryant West
November 9, 2020 9:08 am
Reply to  Bryant

I’m with you on Okoro on 8, as I would’ve been at 7, 6, or 5.

I’ve been pretty shocked at how many (I know this isn’t a) mock drafts that have Ball going first. One unremarkable season in Australia, and he’s the best prospect?

He could have a nice career, but kudos to LaVar Ball. He’s an insufferable prick, but he seems to know how to get NBA writers to drink his Kool-Aid.

Ball-Aid„¢. Patent pending.

MichaelMack
November 9, 2020 11:28 am

Agreed Andy. I understand that Ball can be exciting, but it is hard for me to translate that to the NBA game, especially with quality choices still on the board.

Hobby916
November 9, 2020 9:20 am
Reply to  Bryant

The questions for me is will he develop his offensive game in the coming years, or will he be another O.G Anunoby, Justice Winslow, MKG type of player. If he becomes an average offensive player, then he will be extremely valuable.

furious.d
Comments
Comments
November 9, 2020 1:10 pm
Reply to  Hobby916

Yeah, I think there’s an offensive tier above those guys for someone with Lamelo’s level of size, ballhandling, vision, and athleticism even without a reliable jumper. OG, Winslow, and MKG don’t bring that full package as initiators on offense to counterbalance their poor shooting.

Rubio has had a long career with scoring that ranged from terrible to serviceable, Shaun Livingston was extremely hyped and still effective enough to salvage a great career after a devastating injury. Even Lonzo is a disappointment as a 2nd overall pick, but probably will end up the 7-8th best player in his draft. That wouldn’t be a bad outcome for someone picked 4-10 in what’s regarded as a terrible draft.

And obviously at the top end there are guys like Ben Simmons ad Russell Westbrook who are all-star level initiators while still being bad shooters. I’m not saying Ball is a perfect mirror of any of these guys, but the precedent is there for something better than a defense-only role player.

November 9, 2020 1:24 pm
Reply to  furious.d

Wait, I’m not sure you two are talking about the same person.

furious.d
Comments
Comments
November 9, 2020 5:20 pm

Oops – thanks for the correction!

November 9, 2020 10:01 am
Reply to  Bryant

I like Okoro enough, but I guess I just don’t see him as a unique player. I’m not entirely certain he’s a significantly better prospect than, say, Bane or Green or Mountain Time Zone Bey or Trevelin or….

Bryant
Member
Author
Author
November 9, 2020 2:04 pm

I vehemently disagree that he’s anywhere close to that tier of players – and if my daydreams of trading up pan out, I’ll enjoy reminding you of this take when he’s wearing purple and playing at a near NBA All Defense level!

November 9, 2020 2:36 pm
Reply to  Bryant

If that happens I’ll be happy to laugh at myself about it.

November 9, 2020 9:17 am

Going with Okoro, again.

Hobby916
November 9, 2020 9:17 am

Obi Toppin again.

Bbmuteman
November 9, 2020 9:40 am

I’m also surprised Ball was taken ahead of okoro or okongwu. Offense hasn’t been as big a problem as the defense. Maybe folks see Ball as a better trade down target with ball than anyone else on the list.