Articles | Coronavirus | Draft News

The NBA Draft Lottery and Combine have been indefinitely postponed

The move isn’t surprising, but it raises questions both for NBA teams and for draft prospects.

On Friday afternoon, Adrian Wojnarowski of ESPN reported that the NBA Draft Lottery, originally scheduled for May 19th, and the NBA Draft Combine, originally scheduled to run May 21st - 24th, would be indefinitely postponed due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

This news, while not unexpected, will leave many fringe draft prospects in limbo as the league has not yet adjusted the date of withdrawal from June 15th.

Notably, the date of the draft itself has not yet been pushed back by the NBA Board of Governors, although that decision will likely be the next domino to fall in the delayed reopening of the league. If the remainder of the 2019-2020 season is suspended, the Sacramento Kings will finish as the 12th team in the lottery, with a 6.2% chance of snagging a top-four selection, assuming the NBA doesn’t choose to adjust or flatten the lottery odds due to the shortened year.

According to our resident draft expert Bryant West, solid prospects such as Devin Vassell, Saddiq Bey, and Jalen Smith should be available with the 12th overall selection, while player like Anthony Edwards, Deni Avdija, and James Wiseman could be targeted if the Kings get lucky and move up.

L-Train3.1
May 2, 2020 7:48 am

Makes sense, if the season is still not cancelled, they can’t go ahead with the Draft Lottery.

May 2, 2020 8:05 am

I’m not really sure why they are delaying the lottery, unless it has to do with getting folks into a room while keeping social distancing. If it is because the think the can restart the season, I feel they may be wrong. I think the final standings are done. I really don’t see a way they could continue the season AND have the playoffs. IMO, at best they may be able to sneak in an elite 8 teams for a summer series in a place like Disney World but that is about it.

L-Train3.1
May 2, 2020 8:44 am

I don’t think Vegas or WDW can safely be used for games without an outbreak occurring. Even without fans, too much support staff at the venues would be necessary.

CoreyBrewersD
May 2, 2020 9:04 am

Good Morning new site! Finally got this site climbing my google search. Thanks everyone for getting this site running, and for introducing me to well written articles and thoughtful comments. I am not sure if I adequately understood the difference so thanks!

A few thoughts or questions. feel free of course to answer any or none.

I see the reason that they are delaying this, one, once the season is cancelled they owe me a refund for the remaining games. I am sure a few teams are not in the position to do so, they need the revenue from the last 16 (or whatever) games.

the proposal to flatten the odds seems wierd to me. You are what you are at this point? Why would the Warriors, Knicks, Cavs, deserve lower odds. As well as the Kings were playing I don’t think they were going to close the 3.5 game gap.

Thanks everyone

Greg
Admin
May 2, 2020 9:21 am
Reply to  CoreyBrewersD

I think the refunds are definitely a factor in why they aren’t cancelling yet. And I think some of it is that they still hope they can finish. There’s a lot of revenue at stake, not just from tickets but also from merchandise, advertising, etc.

As for the lottery odds being flattened, that was Tony’s proposal. I think it’s unnecessary and unlikely, but part of what we like about this site is that there’s often a lack of consensus, even among the various writers.

CoreyBrewersD
May 2, 2020 9:49 am
Reply to  Greg

Good point on the merchandise, advertising, etc. Thanks for the response, and the work in general.

May 2, 2020 9:52 am

The one thing Kings fans can count on every year, and 2020 cancels it.

This is what they meant when they told me we will all have to make sacrifices.

May 2, 2020 11:16 am

Blind draft: no combines or workouts. Can’t hurt our chances, right?

kgdobter
May 2, 2020 12:55 pm

Ha! It may improve our chances..

RandyBreuersNeckHair
May 2, 2020 1:15 pm

My thoughts exactly. This can only help Vlade.

May 3, 2020 6:06 am

It won’t hurt his chances and it will at the very least provide a convenient excuse when our draft pick won’t pan out.

1951
May 2, 2020 11:18 am

“You can’t be fired for screwing up another draft if there is no draft!” – Vlade

Timmy_13
May 3, 2020 8:29 am

Where are you haters now? You guys said the Kings will be in the lottery in May. Well guess what, they aren’t!!!11!

Patreon Supporter    Registered On Day 1    Published Post  Published Post Nostradumbass