Articles | Mailbag

Chainmail: Preseason Overreactions

You ask, we answer!

Welcome back to Chainmail, where everything's made up, and the points don't matter. We are extremely deep into the 2021-2022 NBA campaign, as the Sacramento Kings stand undefeated in the all-important, all-encompassing, season-defining preseason, having defeated the fully staffed, no stars resting Phoenix Suns on Monday evening. Will and I (and maybe someone else if anyone will reply to me in The Kings Herald Slack Channel), are here to answer your questions about the upcoming season, respond to your overreactions to one preseason game, and answer a zillion queries about Ben Simmons's trade value and the reasons as to why the 31-win Kings shouldn't trade for a 25-year old Defensive Player of the Year candidate who perfectly fills the missing fifth starter spot for Luke Walton.

Now get to asking, so we can get to answering!

SexyNapear
October 5, 2021 11:37 am

I mentioned a day ago I was slightly stupidly optimistic. I am raising my outlook to moderately stupidly optimistic.

October 5, 2021 3:00 pm

Man! That is some ample actual eagle!

aplumley
October 5, 2021 11:49 am

After beating the Suns in the pre-season opener, are the Kings now considered favorites to win the west?

October 5, 2021 11:57 am
Reply to  aplumley

I’d like to field this one:

No, they are not favorites to win the West. They are favorites to win a title.

aplumley
October 5, 2021 12:11 pm

Thanks. I wasn’t considering the dominating fashion in which the Kings won. It’s nice to finally have a contender.

markdog333
Comments
Comments
October 5, 2021 11:53 am

Current Summer League Champs and complete ownership of the current Western Division Champs: Is it unrealistic to expect 82 wins this year?

Also, which is the more impressive banner to hang in G1C? The Pacific conference champs or 2x Summer League Champs? I have only made it to one game at G1C, and I cannot recall what, if anything is hanging up there.

Wilson
Comments
Comments
October 5, 2021 12:30 pm
Reply to  markdog333

Is it unrealistic to expect 82 wins this year?

Yes. Need to add in the wins from sweeping the playoffs.

Carl
October 5, 2021 12:53 pm
Reply to  markdog333

2003 Summer League Las Vegas Backup Point Guard Non-Alcoholic Beer Pong All NBA Third Team Runner Up

Last edited 8 days ago by Carl
AmateurNerd
Comments
Comments
October 5, 2021 3:57 pm
Reply to  markdog333

Ugh, I remember the start of the ’02/’03 season, when the team held a “banner raising ceremony” at the first game to unveil the “2002 Pacific Division Champions” banner. This was right after the team lost the WCF in 7 to the L*kers. What a lame ceremony that was. The crowd reaction was… tepid, at best.