Articles | Latest News

Grant Napear fired by KHTK and resigns from Sacramento Kings

Napear's Sunday night tweets have now cost him his job as a radio host and as the play-by-play announcer of the Sacramento Kings.

Bonneville International Corporation and KHTK announced today that Grant Napear has been fired effective immediately.

SACRAMENTO - We were saddened by the comments Grant Napear recently made on Twitter.  While we appreciate Grant's positive contributions to KHTK over the years, his recent comments about the Black Lives Matter movement do not reflect the views or values of Bonneville International Corporation.  The time of Grant's tweet was particularly insensitive.  After reviewing the matter carefully, we have made the difficult decision to part ways with Grant.

Bonneville's purpose is to build up, connect, inform, and celebrate communities and families.  In the wake of George Floyd's tragic death and the events of the last several days, it is crucial that we communicate the tremendous respect that we have for the black community and any other groups or individuals who have cause to feel marginalized.  Bonneville remains committed to fostering calm and promoting human dignity in the face of unrest. We plead for all to work together for peace and mutual respect.

The Sacramento Kings have also announced that Napear has resigned as play-by-play announcer.  Napear had served as the Kings play-by-play announcer since 1988.

On Sunday night, Napear tweeted "ALL LIVES MATTER" in response to former Kings player DeMarcus Cousins asking him about his take on Black Lives Matter in the wake of the ongoing protests following the murder of George Floyd.  Napear went on to defend his tweet which only served to increase the backlash, and other former Kings such as Matt Barnes and Chris Webber also chimed in.

Napear said he would explain himself and apologize on his radio show on Monday afternoon.  That opportunity never came as KHTK announced that Napear was put on administrative leave.  Napear did however offer his apologies through a short interview with Marcos Breton in the Sacramento Bee.  Both the Kings and NBC Sports California also declared that they would be reviewing the matter.  As we learned today, Napear is now no longer employed by any of those organizations.

Napear did release the following statement following the announcement today:

As a very public face of the franchise, his actions were at complete odds with how the organization has presented itself.  The Kings have been especially vocal ever since 2018 when they themselves were at the center of protests following yet another death of a young black man at the hands of the police, Stephon Clark.  The Kings have since partnered with Black Lives Matter Sacramento and Build Black to invest in and broaden educational opportunities for black young men and underserved members of the community.  This was also not the first time Napear has been insensitive, although this is the first time he has felt consequences.

rcubed37
5 months ago

Not that it’s really the point at the moment, but I wonder who takes his spot as play-by-play guy now.

Last edited 5 months ago by rcubed37
boobiemiles4ever
Reply to  rcubed37

Can we get Jerry for one more season?!

LandParkJimmer

JERRY JERRY JERRY

TonyXypteras
Admin
5 months ago

I briefly got excited about the idea that Jerry could return in a move that would give Kings fans a familiar and beloved voice, but it’s probably not worth it to have him travel around until the pandemic dies down.

bangbangplay
Reply to  rcubed37

Let’s which former King is available

Reply to  bangbangplay

Mayce Edward Christopher Webber III, reporting for duty.

But seriously though, I hope we can see Chris Webber interact with Sacramento again now.

mdeedublu
5 months ago

I don’t buy in to CWebb. Never been much of a fan of him off the court and I can do without him. If he wanted to interact with Sacramento, he already could have, why would he now?

Reply to  mdeedublu

That’s a fair point.

To answer your question: the reason Webber would interact with Sacramento now as I’ve heard, is that he wanted nothing to do with the Kings while Grant was around.

And I don’t think he would be a good play-by-play announcer. Even Jerry Reynolds is not suited for that. I was joking about C-Webb taking Grant’s place.

The only person I think that is in touch with the Kings who would do a good job is Gary Gerould, but he’s the radio play-by-play….

Last edited 5 months ago by Kosta
5 months ago

I’m a little disappointed in how C-Webb has turned out as an announcer. Starting out, I thought he had the potential to be really good. Over time though, he’s basically Reggie Miller.

Timmy_13
5 months ago

We can get the next best thing. An announcer and coach at the same time. Mark Jackson.

TonyXypteras
Admin
5 months ago

He is pretty terrible, and I really wish that wasn’t the case.

SniperKing
5 months ago

Does he still have a home in Sac? If not, I doubt he voluntarily will want to live in ‘cow town’ again if he doesn’t have to.

Reply to  rcubed37

Gary Gerould?

Amonk81
5 months ago

Gerald great. And YES!!! Grant in gone. He always was an insensitive, close minded ass. And now it’s confirmed that he’s a disgusting person.

I’ve never like Cuz like o do now. Good riddance to Grant and all others like him.

Amonk81
Reply to  Amonk81

Apparently, I don’t know how to edit on this format.

Reply to  Amonk81

Hover your mouse over the bottom right corner space of your comment. You might have to search a second or two to find it, but eventually you’ll see a gear icon. Press on it. You’ll see an EDIT square appear. Click on that and you should be able to edit.

I think there’s a time limit though. The opportunity to edit seems to expire after a certain amount of time has lapsed.

Last edited 5 months ago by Kosta
Amonk81
Reply to  Amonk81

I take that back. I still don’t like Cuz but I love that he brought down Grant.

rc50cal
5 months ago

Love Gary almost as much as I love Jerry!

Reply to  rcubed37

I’d personally love to see Deuce get a shot. He’s been doing play-by-play for Stockton Kings. I always loved his radio show with Jason Ross.

Amonk81
5 months ago

I don’t like Duece. He always preaches party line. Not a logical thinker.

jerry and Gary

Reply to  Amonk81

Jerry and Gary would be scary!

Scary good 🙂

boobiemiles4ever
Reply to  rcubed37

Scot Pollard, Gary Gerould, and Doug would be great.

Gregoryl
5 months ago

Oh god, no. Except for the GG part.

Dub_TC
Reply to  rcubed37

First choice: Gary Gerould and Doug
Second choice: Doris Burke and a broom (pay whatever you have to!)
Third choice: Deuce, Morgan and Doug

Reply to  Dub_TC

Doris Burke, all day. Or let Gary simulcast. And wouldn’t mind your third choice either. Totally with you here.

5 months ago

Ah, I didn’t think if Gary could simulcast.

I previously thought radio play-by-play and TV play-by-play were different animals, with more description necessary for radio.

I’d love to see what Gary can do on TV.

Want2win
5 months ago

Gary used to do TV for the kings…way, way back in the day

TheFifthMookie
5 months ago

I seriously doubt Doris is in play for Grant’s position, she seems too high of a caliber for a single team. but if she is…. make this happen yesterday!

rc50cal
Reply to  Dub_TC

I don’t see why Doris Burke would take a lower profile job, but I love her! She’s a bright basketball mind.

Dub_TC
Reply to  rc50cal

My sell to her would be: you get to call 82 games a year, not the 25 you call on ESPN. I doubt she would take it, but I would damn sure make the call.

Reply to  Dub_TC

Would she be the first full time female team announcer in the NBA? What about the four major leagues?

Reply to  Dub_TC

And you will have vacation come play-offs. Guaranteed!

Reply to  rcubed37

Mr Motor Home

Gregoryl
5 months ago

Ironically, I believe that was also the last title sponsor of the old barn out in Natomas.

Reply to  rcubed37

HERE IS THE MAN YOU’RE LOOKING FOR:

5 months ago

Well, I always said a trained chimp would be better than Grant, so I suppose an untrained chimp wouldn’t be that much of a stretch.

5 months ago

and Vlade needs a smoking buddy

Gregoryl
Reply to  rcubed37

Please Kevin Harlan, you’re our only hope!

Reply to  Gregoryl

jdwhit
Reply to  rcubed37

I think we have to give Boogie the right of first refusal.

Spark
5 months ago

If you don’t like that…….

mdeedublu
Reply to  Spark

Too soon….

Reply to  mdeedublu

Then I suppose “Turn the sprinkler systems on, Grant Napear has been fired” would be too soon as well?

mdeedublu

I literally LOLd.

ArsLegendi

HEYOOOOOO

5 months ago

WOW. I did not think it would actually happen.

Last edited 5 months ago by Kosta

johnnyi
5 months ago

I enjoyed his play by play, but his insensitivity across many issues, specially on his radio show has come back to bite him.

Last edited 5 months ago by johnnyi
johnnyi
Reply to  johnnyi

And I will add, rightfully so.

Amonk81
Reply to  johnnyi

IE- He’s a dick. Always was.

congraved

Never fucking forget the fucking Tyreke Evans story. …fuck

EWeb
Reply to  congraved

Refresh my memory, please.

Sacto_J
Reply to  congraved

I wish we could still watch that animated thing someone did of the locker room encounter between Grant and Tyreke, I had tears rolling down my cheeks from that…

Reply to  Aykis16

Perhaps the funniest thing I have ever seen.

Reply to  Aykis16

It was Game of Zones long before there was Game of Zones.

MaybeNextYear
Reply to  congraved

I prefer not to give that site any clicks. Can someone summarize for me?

congraved
Reply to  MaybeNextYear

Tyreke’s locker is at the far end of the locker room. It’s set up that there is this plate of fruit on a counter about four feet from his locker. After the game, I noticed Grant was hovering around Tyreke’s locker before he came out from the shower. Grant was picking at the fruit plate while clearly just waiting.

Finally, Evans comes out from the shower to his locker and starts slowly getting dressed. And then Grant starts talking to him in a weird way. He’s not facing Tyreke or the media. He’s kind of looking at the corner of the room while he stuffs his mouth with fruit. He starts saying all of these things to Tyreke without really looking at him. Tyreke puts on his underwear and jeans and Peaches says, “Tyreke, let me f-cking tell you. I’ve never f-cking seen anybody f-cking pull a f-cking move like that on [opposing defender] ever. Not f-cking ever.”

Tyreke isn’t a very conversational guy anyway but the whole interaction is really weird. It’s like Grant is the friend of a bully and he’s trying to bump up the guy’s ego even though the “bully” doesn’t seem to care what is being said. Grant continues, “You f-cking should have had 16 or 17 fucking assists tonight. If your f-cking teammates would f-cking make some f-cking shots, you’d have had your f-cking triple double really f-cking easy.”

At this point, it’s just uncomfortable. Grant is swearing WAY too much — like a 14-year old trying to sound cool in front of his friends. And Tyreke is just giving him mild acknowledgments because 1) probably didn’t care what Grant thought and 2) he’s trying to get dressed and it’s weird to be talking to him like this when he’s trying to get dressed. But Grant keeps talking to him. It’s in a way that it feels like the purpose of it is to be able to say that he and Tyreke speak after games. Only Tyreke isn’t speaking. Grant doesn’t talk to any of the players after games. Just Tyreke. He’s completely trying to buddy up with him. And Tyreke just looks uncomfortable the entire time.

Grant finally stops trying to force conversation out of Tyreke who is clearly trying to avoid it at this point. Peaches grabs his briefcase and starts walking away. But still manages “alright Tyreke, I’ll probably see you tomorrow.” And doesn’t say goodbye to ANYBODY ELSE in the locker room. He has to walk across the entire locker room to leave but only says bye to Tyreke.

There’s something very stalkerish about the whole thing.

TonyXypteras
Admin
Reply to  congraved

I have no memory of this. Weird.

Reply to  TonyXypteras

Ok, I didn’t want to say anything, but I must have missed it as well.

congraved
Reply to  TonyXypteras

You should definitely read the insane interview he gave Ziller back in 08 while you’re at it.

Reply to  congraved

As far as my show goes i rarely yell at my callers.

G-naps
Reply to  congraved

I re-read that interview and I know its a real interview.

The answers were so ridiculous It was hard for me to believe that isnt a parody/fan fiction interview.

BeTheBall
Reply to  congraved

Envisioning that interaction gave me douche chills.

Reply to  MaybeNextYear

I remember it now, but had forgotten it.

Man, it’s crazy how bad my memory is compared to what I thought it was.

Thanks for sharing that.

5 months ago

To anyone who doesn’t understand this moment in history in regards to civil rights, BLM and the racial fabric of our society as it plays out to us on social media and our televisions, let Grant’s “seemingly harmless” All Lives Matter sink it. We are at a precipice. I really feel we are witnessing a seismic adjustment to our society. Hold on.

mdeedublu

Very well said.

5 months ago

It really does feel that way. Covid19, and the world’s subsequent handling of it, already started to really illuminate the strengths and weaknesses of our systems. And the racial inequity in this country has been a powder keg waiting to blow for years. If things are going to change for the better, 2020 seems like the year that will finally really ignite that change.

5 months ago

I feel the same. Scary thing about a precipice is which way you end up falling.

Told my daughter that she’s living through something truly unique in American society, something we’ll (hopefully) be teaching in the history books for the next few hundred years.

5 months ago

I often wondered how incredible (not incredibly good, mind you) it would be live in such a momentous time in history like what we grew up reading about in history books….like, say WWII.

I have to say, I do NOT like living in this momentous time in history that people will be reading about in the future.

All the fear of the unknown we have about the future–imagine being in a world war and not knowing what the result would be.

Last edited 5 months ago by Kosta
5 months ago

Can you imagine living in the period of 13 days of the Cuban Missle Crisis? That must’ve been insane.

SniperKing
5 months ago

I just watched that movie! If it were up to the generals in charge, very few of us would be here right now.

Want2win
5 months ago

Hoping that they don’t continue to censure history books… but spot on

MichaelMack
5 months ago

I work with young creative people, and have been imploring my staff of interns to be documenting what they are seeing, feeling, and hearing right now. It’s an incredibly historic and traumatic time.

5 months ago

Let’s hope so. It’s overdue by 250 years.

Want2win
5 months ago

well said, it is also a good time to learn. I rarely used the term All Lives Matter, or May have never used it. I certainly wouldn’t have used it to be dismissive; with that said I didn’t understand how insensitive it was especially when people used it to be dismissive. I will certainly make a point to never use the term and learned something new after seeing it on Joe Davidson’s sac bee article.

Reply to  Want2win

It is all about tone and timing. Saying all lives matter on its own is one thing, but responding to BLM with ALL LIVES MATTER, says something entirely different. There is a sarcastic and antagonistic tone to the latter that leaves one feeling there is a significant insult there.

If the “whatever” and eye roll of GenXers did to their parents in the 90’s offended some, the ALL LIVES MATTER is a stab to the heart of those who genuinely care about social injustice to the black communities of our society. It is a slap in the face of equality and justice.

Want2win
5 months ago

thanks for the extra explanation, I went down a rabbit hole of reading and research last night when I saw the Sac Bee article.. it was really eye opening and I am very happy I did learn.. always need to be willing to learn

Reply to  Want2win

All good amigo. Education is what it is all about.

ForKingsandCountry
Reply to  Want2win

W2W I have always appreciated your sincerity in discussing these things. Myself or others may not always agree, but I do believe you are earnestly trying to understand and that is super important.

SteelyDan
5 months ago

Well said. I find it unconscionable that a major media face for an NBA franchise was so woefully uninformed as to what BLM is. And if he was purposefully being obtuse in refusing to acknowledge BLM, then that’s even more unacceptable.

aljout
5 months ago

Sad but to be expected. No such thing as disagreement and diversity of opinions anymore. Figures Boogie’s final farewell to Sac would be getting his revenge against Grant.

Last edited 5 months ago by aljout
Reply to  aljout

He was not fired for having a disagreement and diversity of opinions.

Timmy_13
Reply to  aljout

What do you mean? This is one of the times when a person’s opinion is wrong. If by diversity of opinions you mean that “All Lives Matter” then you are correct about that. Because “All Lives Matter” is the call sign to discredit the movement on racial prejudice, bias, and brutality by police officers on minorities especially African American folks. All lives matter, yes. But that is not the issue this country needs to tackle right now. Black people are being marginalized every single day of their lives. They’ve been devoid of privilege and were subject to police brutality. I’m not white. I’m Asian but I do concede that I’ve had more privilege than black folks. So what exactly is the “difference” of opinion here other than All lives matter movement is wrong?

ForKingsandCountry
Reply to  aljout

Sometimes when you’re opinions are pretty terrible you get fired from your job. Grant’s opinions are pretty terrible and he got fired from his job.

BeTheBall
Reply to  aljout

He’s free to have his opinion. The Kings and many of us as fans are free to disagree with him, others are free to agree with him. What he, you, I, or others are not free from is the possibility of consequences that result from our actions and words.

Reply to  BeTheBall

You could disagree with him.

And he could HANG UP THE PHONE ON YOU.

Or he could just say “Thanks for your call” and then move on and end the conversation.

Reply to  aljout

I think we could have a legitimate discussion of whether this is a fireable offense, but come on – you have to know that what you say on the air, or when you’re representing a company publicly, can get you in trouble.That isn’t some brand new concept.

Grant would still be here if the mental firepower matched the bluster. He said something stupid, and even dumber considering he was an NBA announcer.

Last edited 5 months ago by Otis
Gregoryl
5 months ago

It’s amazing he lasted this long.

MichaelMack
5 months ago

Grant isn’t new, and I would also assume he is a pretty smart guy to have the level of professional success that he has had. The fact that he just couldn’t help himself, he just had to risk everything slapping back to DMC in the middle of the worst race riots since 1968, says everything you need to know about him. It wasn’t hard to predict.

Reply to  aljout

Is it your opinion that a company should continue to employ a spokesperson that doesn’t represent the values of the organization? Much less one that makes public statements that alienate and marginalize the company’s key employees and the majority of their customer base?

And, of course, that’s just taking it from the cynical “capitalistic” POV. Putting aside any idea of humanity and social awareness or responsibility.

5 months ago

I’ll just leave this here:

5 months ago

What? He’s back on the air?

5 months ago

I mean, putting aside what a dismissive asshole he is there, his position is also just illogical. Apparently, according to Grant, it’s reasonable to think Walton is a bad coach and to not like him as a coach for the Kings, but it isn’t reasonable to think he should be fired. But… but… if I think he’s bad and don’t like him, why wouldn’t I think he should be fired? I’m an idiot AND a moron for thinking a bad, unlikable coach shouldn’t be the coach? What?

5 months ago

LMFAO “No one can say Luke should be fired based on this season because of……….Injuries.” My God.

G-naps
5 months ago

Moron …like moron in the sense that Barling called Vlade or moron for the “we had a better deal 2 days ago” DeMarcus trade?

CoreyBrewersD
5 months ago

Grant has been teetering on the edge of this 1/2 his career. Definately since Team Vivek took over. The guy is a dismissive a-hole, this was IMO the straw that broke the ass’ back. I got the feeling that Grant was a plant for absentee ownership group… Vivek can’t be a stupid and meddling as he appears….can he?

Carl
Reply to  aljout

Grant dug his own hole here. Cousins (who I dislike intensely) merely showed him where to start.

No such thing as disagreement and diversity of opinions anymore.

If you work for an NBA team and you effectively state, particularly after an unarmed black man was killed by police on camera (again), that there’s no difference in police treatment between white and black folks, there’s likely to be an effect on your work status.

“Diversity of opinion” or “freedom of speech” shouldn’t mean that pissing people off is protected from consequences.

Try calling your company owner or major shareholders a stupid motherfucker. I mean, that’s diversity of opinion, and it might even be true (looking at you Judge Smails) but you’re probably not going to keep working there.

Last edited 5 months ago by Carl
aljout
5 months ago

Thanks for the good times, Grant! Kings games won’t be the same without you.

Reply to  aljout

Agreed. I might listen to them again!

5 months ago

I mean, I would still play Stevie Wonder during a game…

Amonk81
Reply to  aljout

Yes, they’ll be waaaay better.

TheFifthMookie
Reply to  aljout

I’m so excited about having a new TV voice. I can turn the volume up on games again at last.

Migz
5 months ago

Finally I can un-mute the games!

Sacto_J
Reply to  Migz

Bill Walton thinks you’re being a little hasty…

TrojanCBB
Reply to  Sacto_J

Bill Walton is a national treasure.

G-naps
Reply to  TrojanCBB

Don’t need to go from 1 shtick to another shtick

Reply to  TrojanCBB

So let’s bury him already. And his kid.

LandParkJimmer
Reply to  TrojanCBB

Yeah but he’s half responsible for Luke so….

cbrody
Reply to  TrojanCBB

Bill Walton? That’s a hard NO.

Wow.

Last edited 5 months ago by BestHyperboleEver
5 months ago

So is this going to cause The Kings Herald servers to crash again?

5 months ago

Man, I made that sign about TKH changing to a new local radio host knowing it was just a joke. Did not think it would actually happen.

Timmy_13
5 months ago

So it was your fault! Please do not make anymore banners or interpret anything that pertains to the shitshow of 2020.

Reply to  Timmy_13

“We are moving on to a vaccine.”

How’s that?

Timmy_13
5 months ago

As long as it’s not American!

Clear your (((ducks))) cache

5 months ago

Does the H key functionality work? I wiped my…uh…cache just now but it does not seem to be working.

5 months ago

Time to try Preparation H.

Last edited 5 months ago by Kosta
5 months ago

Well, well, well, if it isn’t the consequences of my own actions.

5 months ago

This is the free market at work, baby!

5 months ago

I will miss him not at all.

5 months ago

I’ll miss “turn the sprinkler systems on” and “we have got a dandy”, but honestly even those phrases have started to lose their luster because of how Grant has handled himself over the years. We will move on.

Also, I think it is HILARIOUS that Demarcus was the one that instigated this. Like, OF COURSE it was. I couldn’t have gone any other way.

mdeedublu
5 months ago

I realize most of the people on this site don’t like Grant and are probably happy about this but I think the tweet was taken a bit out of proportion. Being a public figure, especially one that represents the Kings and their stance on BLM, there is no excuse for his ignorance regarding All Lives Matter. His tweet and it’s reaction educated me on ALM as, at least on the surface, that message seems to be one that means “bringing everyone together.” Obviously that is not the case. I’m not sure his ignorance should result in the loss of his job, but I understand it.

Pretty unfortunate situation but it will be interesting to see how his vacancies play out as he’s been a staple figure in the community for a long time. Here’s to a brighter future!