Articles | GM Search | Latest News

Could the Kings get both Sachin Gupta and Monte McNair?

What if the Kings manage to land not one but two of their top candidates?

When the Sacramento Kings and Vlade Divac parted ways, most Kings fans hoped the Kings could finally land a qualified candidate. But what if the Kings could get two? What if the Kings could get both Sachin Gupta and Monte McNair? That may be possible, according to our old friend Carmichael Dave.

While it may seem crazy that McNair would leave Houston for a lateral move to Sacramento, it may not be all that far-fetched. Houston is undergoing turmoil of their own this offseason. Mike D'Antoni is leaving the team and there's speculation Daryl Morey could be gone as well. If Morey is dismissed, it seems unlikely that Rockets owner Tilman Fertitta would fill the position from within. With that uncertainty in Houston, Monte McNair could be more willing to join the Kings in a lateral move.

Gupta and McNair worked together when Gupta worked for the Rockets. We never know how well two people may have gotten along, but there is presumably some sort of working relationship that exists between the two.

Clearly from Dave's tweets nothing is locked in, but it's a fun idea to keep an eye on.

***

Dave also passed along some additional information about the interview process.

Joe Dumars is back, baby!

Nobody seems clear on what Joe Dumars is doing! He's in the process, he's out of the process, he's in the interviews! Great stuff. \

As long as the candidates understand what Dumars' role will and won't be going forward, this may not be a big concern. With the Kings, you never know. We'll keep an eye on it.

Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Yazan13
September 15, 2020 10:50 am

GULPING FOR GUPTA

September 15, 2020 11:25 am
Reply to  Yazan13

McLovin’ McNair?

September 15, 2020 10:51 am

Well, hopefully their past working relationship would help, because I certainly don’t want another situation of too many cooks in the kitchen at the top and then more infighting comes up because there are two people with conflicting opinions on where to go. We shall see…

eddie41
September 15, 2020 11:19 am

Having more cooks in the front office should be a good thing.

September 15, 2020 11:50 am

Uhhhh, with this organization? They need to prove that first.

Wonderchild
September 15, 2020 12:31 pm

The important distinction is getting qualified cooks this time.

AmateurNerd
Comments
Comments
September 15, 2020 12:58 pm
Reply to  Wonderchild

“Chicken is best done medium-rare, right?” – Kangz cookz

Last edited 2 years ago by AmateurNerd
Wonderchild
September 15, 2020 12:59 pm
Reply to  AmateurNerd

Chicken 3.0

MyNeighborTurturro
Comments
Comments
September 15, 2020 2:18 pm
Reply to  AmateurNerd

Apparently, it wouldn’t be the first time someone has tried it. Can someone check in on Morgan Jane Gibbs?

#chkn.JPG
September 15, 2020 3:04 pm

I heard she was fine until she had cookie-dough ice cream for dessert.

Wonderchild
September 15, 2020 3:25 pm

The molten lava cake is basically a medium rare chocolate cake.

September 15, 2020 3:34 pm
Reply to  Wonderchild

Ooh, I never thought of it like that before.

If I weren’t vegetablarian, I’d ask for my sushi to be well-done.

September 15, 2020 3:58 pm

I’m not vegetarian or vegan, but starting around December of last year I started to gradually reduce the amount of animal products I buy at the grocery store, mostly for environmental reasons. It’s gotten to the point where I don’t buy dairy or products with dairy anymore (which is tricky because you reeeeeally have to read the ingredients carefully), and the only animal products I buy now are (pasture-raised) eggs, seafood (mostly wild caught Salmon), and sometimes deli turkey slices (but not the cheap crappy kind…the Applegate brand is the best in terms of animal welfare-wise and the ingredients are super clean and not full of preservatives). I’ve become very fond of things such as oat milk, Gardein, and Beyond Beef. I still eat meat/dairy if I happen to be eating out at like a restaurant or with family/friends, but considering I would rarely eat out even before quarantine, the foods I get at the grocery store consisted of like 95% of my diet.

There’s also a YouTube channel I follow called “FlavCity” and the guy makes videos where he goes to the grocery store and tells you what the best kinds of products to buy for different kinds of foods and what ingredients you should watch out for. It’s actually been a huge influence on what I get at the store now, and it makes me look back and think how much crappy kinds of foods I used to eat on a consistent basis!

Last edited 2 years ago by Klam
Hobby916
September 16, 2020 4:45 am

I started eating vegan a few years ago, it was a great decision.

AmateurNerd
Comments
Comments
September 15, 2020 3:33 pm

Looks like we know who started the whole COVID thing.

BeTheBall
September 15, 2020 6:35 pm

Apparently, she appears to have committed suicide 8 months after posting that.

MyNeighborTurturro
Comments
Comments
September 16, 2020 9:18 am
Reply to  BeTheBall

I just looked it up, an you’re right. I feel awful for posting that now. Pretty goddamned tone-deaf of me. My apologies.

BeTheBall
September 16, 2020 12:32 pm

No apologies necessary. Hell, I didn’t know until I went to go look up the post to see if it was a spoof account, ala Titania McGrath and the like, that made it.

Last edited 2 years ago by BeTheBall
Author
Author
September 15, 2020 12:43 pm

Yep. They need one chef & a few line cooks.

September 15, 2020 12:45 pm

comment imagev

September 15, 2020 1:02 pm

How about like a Jazz band of chefs?

ZillersCat
September 15, 2020 2:49 pm

Oooh .. Is Gordon Ramsey available? Congrats to new GM, welcome to Kings Basketball!

Last edited 2 years ago by ZillersCat
richie88
September 15, 2020 11:55 am

It should be a good thing, but it’s been a problem for the Kings in the past.

September 15, 2020 12:34 pm
Reply to  richie88

But the solution to that is actually hiring good people in well-defined roles. Not reducing staff. Just like the solution to drafting horribly isn’t to give away your draft picks.

Last edited 2 years ago by BestHyperboleEver
richie88
September 15, 2020 12:37 pm

This setup sounds promising, but the history of the Vivek era makes me worry. If this setup happens & Vivek stays out of the way, this’ll probably be the best FO of the Vivek era.

Last edited 2 years ago by richie88
AirmaxPG
September 15, 2020 12:42 pm
Reply to  richie88

Yeah, me too. I would be glad if McNair was on board underneath Gupta. But I sincerely hope that it was Gupta’s call either way.

Sachin is the one we want. Let him choose his own staff.

AmateurNerd
Comments
Comments
September 15, 2020 1:01 pm
Reply to  AirmaxPG

Vivek: “Sachin, the job is yours!”
Sachin: “Thank you! I’m excited to get started.”
Vivek: “So is Monte!”
Sachin: “Huh?”
Vivek: “I’m hiring him to be your competit–I mean your right-hand man!”
Sachin: “But I would like to hire my own staff. You said I would have full control over all hiring decisions.”
Vivek: “Sachin, Sachin, my friend, you have full control AFTER you sign the contract. Better sign it now, before Monte does! They’re the same thing!”
Sachin: “I immediately regret my decision.”
Peaches: “ALL CONTRACTS MATTER!!!! EVERY ONE!!!!!!”

Gregoryl
September 15, 2020 10:51 am

September 15, 2020 10:52 am

hoping Aneel accidentally does a Tik Tok with them all sitting in the board room.

Jman1949
September 15, 2020 10:59 am

With €œGupta€ and €œMcNair€ listed clearly at the top of the whiteboard!

September 15, 2020 11:05 am
Reply to  Jman1949

Vivek overheard in the background: “my dear friend Steve Jobs taught me, and it’s super simple. You just place your three middle fingers on the palm of your hand, and then stick your pinky and thumb out like so.”

September 15, 2020 11:19 am

…That’s what it’s all about!

September 15, 2020 10:54 am

I’ve been thinking, from Dave’s tweet it seems things may already be in motion and they are just working out the details. It would also make sense the McNair may know his time in Houston is limited so he is jumping ship while he can. The Kings may just find themselves in the right place at the right time and get both. That would be amazing.

September 15, 2020 11:15 am

yeah this is where I’m at. They seem to have moved into the courtship phase. The McNair thing is interesting. I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s a lot of front office downsizing that takes place over the next year or so. McNair may be looking to lock up a guaranteed salary (and technically a promotion) before the job market dries up.

My only concern is the budget situation if they go this route. They’ll basically be allocating a big portion of the front office budget pie to two people with similar backgrounds. How does that affect their ability to attract people on the scouting and player development side?

ManilaBayCleanerCrew
September 15, 2020 11:35 am

Knowing their reputations, it’s gonna be an easy one.

Jman1949
September 15, 2020 12:34 pm

Maybe they can offset some of the extra cost by cutting ties with Luke Bornn.

richie88
September 15, 2020 12:41 pm
Reply to  Jman1949

If he’s still under contract, that’d lead to paying him to do nothing (though he probably didn’t have much influence under Vlade, so it probably wouldn’t be much of a change for him).

Last edited 2 years ago by richie88
September 15, 2020 12:58 pm
Reply to  Jman1949

They already have for the most part. He was VP of strategy and analytics, and now he’s “Basketball Analytics Advisor”. He’s doing some new sports acquisition venture with Billy Beane I believe.

The other person I’m curious about is Ken Catanella. He’s technically still an Assistant GM. It will be interesting to see if he retains his role to provide a level of continuity. There’s obviously some overlap in terms of expertise, but you can never have too many smart people. One could make the argument that the Kings would go from worst to first from an analytics perspective if Gupta/McNair/Catanella were the top three basketball minds in the org. chart. I believe all 3 have been the head of their respective teams’ analytics dept. at some point.

The other thing I’m curious about is who’s going to be the negotiator. Gupta may be able to come up with all sorts of crazy trade scenarios, but that’s different than being able to negotiate trades. Based on the stuff I’ve read and heard, he seems like kind of a soft spoken dude. In certain situations that’s not the worst thing. I’m sure he’ll do fine negotiating with people who he already has an established relationship with. There’s just certain situations in which you need a shark that can smell blood in the water.

AmateurNerd
Comments
Comments
September 15, 2020 1:04 pm

After 7 years of Pete D and Vlade, I’m okay with soft-spoken, as long as it’s not dumb-spoken.

richie88
September 15, 2020 1:09 pm

I thought Catanella’s mainly a cap guru? If he has analytics expertise, that’s probably something Vlade didn’t use. My impression is that Gupta’s a cap guru as a result of creating the ESPN Trade Machine, so that’d also create some overlap.

September 15, 2020 2:41 pm
Reply to  richie88

He was in charge of the analytics dept. and cap guru in Detroit.

September 15, 2020 3:00 pm
Reply to  Greg

Coincidentally, I’m in charge of my household’s Drink Responsibly Department.

September 15, 2020 1:13 pm

I don’t really see why being “soft-spoken” would suggest someone is any less of a negotiator. Negotiations, especially at these types of high-levels within small circles, is usually primarily about preparation, having/sticking to a well-laid out plan, and creating and maintaining relationships with the other managers.

AirmaxPG
September 15, 2020 1:28 pm

Our previous GM was a “master negotiator”…

rico.jpg
richie88
September 15, 2020 1:31 pm

Being soft-spoken could cause problems w/creating and maintaining relationships with the other GM’s (though it isn’t guaranteed that it could lead to that). In addition to the attributes you listed, persistence & being persuasive are also important (& being soft-spoken might cause problems w/being persuasive, but that isn’t guaranteed either).

RORDOG’s description of a trade negotiator who’s €œa shark that can smell blood in the water€ reminds me of Doug Wilson (he’s the Sharks GM & he does a lot of trades). Based on what I’ve read about his trades, the factors you listed are key for starting the process, but persistence & persuasiveness are key factors for getting a deal done

Last edited 2 years ago by richie88
September 15, 2020 2:58 pm

I’m just kinda reading between the lines. Apparently, he’s awkward at press conferences and maybe a bit quirky. My point is really just that coming up with theoretical deals and negotiating deals are two different skillsets. He may need a “lead negotiator” that can kinda plays poker with other teams. These things aren’t apples to apples, but I do think it’s similar to the playmaking discussion we had. The ability to wheel and deal may be a skill that’s separate, but related, to crafting the plan.

Obviously I don’t know the guy, so I can’t look into his soul and determine if he has brass balls. I just got the vibe that Gupta is more of a guy that works best in the background. He may blossom into more than that once he’s the top dog, but it’s still a concern.

September 15, 2020 3:07 pm

my remedy for being soft-spoken:

WRITING EMAILS IN ALL-CAPS

Last edited 2 years ago by Kosta
02kingsfan
September 15, 2020 3:23 pm

Vlade was great with the press but then again listening to him talking as a GM you would realize how inept he is in that position. If you’ve got the talent and experience you should be qualified to do the job

BeTheBall
September 15, 2020 10:55 am

Wait, his kid is involved in the interview process? Just when you thought there might be an inkling of competency, we go Kangz again.

Last edited 2 years ago by BeTheBall
September 15, 2020 11:01 am
Reply to  BeTheBall

I wouldn’t be surprised if a lot of owners children are involved with their respective teams. Plus, he’s 36, it’s not like it’s a bring your kid to work thing. You never know, he may be the one running the show some day. That’s how the Lakers did it.

September 15, 2020 11:19 am

NO F-ing way. Vivek is not the majority owner. he only has 20% of the shares. You can’t tell me the CEO and Chairman riles are hereditary.

September 15, 2020 11:22 am

I heard a rumor that Akis is Tom Ziller’s son, and inherited the site from him.

From the same source, Greg is more influential in certain circles than Matina is.

September 15, 2020 11:27 am

These certain circles happen to be the circles of spouses of the TKH commenters?

ZillersCat
September 15, 2020 11:27 am

Where does that leave the cat?

September 15, 2020 4:44 pm
Reply to  ZillersCat

Zillercat runs everything. Zillercat is even more powerful than Matina.

Last edited 2 years ago by Kosta
September 15, 2020 12:36 pm

Jeanie Buss owns 1/5 of the 66% share of ownership that Jerry Buss had. She is the controlling partner, much like Vivek. I’m not saying that Aneel is going to be running the team, but I don’t see an issue with him being involved.

September 15, 2020 12:57 pm

Right, so her father held 2/3rd of the shares and had full control over choosing his successor, so I get grooming her for the job.

Vivek has only 1/5th of the shares. This apples and oranges. I can’t imagine the other shareholders being thrilled with his inclusion.

September 15, 2020 1:13 pm

I feel like this is a situation in which Aneel will essentially become Vivek’s proxy. I’m not saying I agree with it, but that’s just the sense I get. If we look at this as more of a meet and greet, and less as a part of the actual interview process then it make more sense. Aneel is there because McNair and Gupta will be working with him at some level, so it’s good to establish a relationship before signing the contracts.

And I should point out, before moving into the medical sector, I spent my entire life in Agriculture. It’s basically just a normal thing to interact with companies that have “and son(s)” included in the name of the corporate entity. Usually there’s the smart son that’s the heir apparent, and then the Fredo of the family that gets to be in charge of the manure operation. It just kinda is what it is. We just have to hope Aneel isn’t the Fredo.

September 15, 2020 1:17 pm

I get my hotdogs from RORDOG & PUPS, co.

Last edited 2 years ago by Kosta
September 15, 2020 1:25 pm

The RORDOG does not have any pups (that I know of). I am definitely the Fredo pup of the DOG family though. Unfortunately, my dad worked for a family farm, instead of owning one, so I didn’t inherit a cushy manure job.

September 15, 2020 3:12 pm

(DOORKNOCK sound)

RORDOG’S LADYFRIEND: “Honey, why aren’t you answering the door? And why are you hiding behind the couch?”

RORDOG: “I’m hiding from the, uh…..DOOR-TO-DOOR SALESPEOPLE….yeah, that’s the ticket!”

September 15, 2020 3:15 pm

LOL I literally was like “I feel like I need to unregister from ancestry.com”. I don’t want to be put in the awkward situation in which a new son pops up in my family tree.

September 15, 2020 4:03 pm

Is his Ladyfriend a……..Ladybird?

September 15, 2020 1:45 pm

I could see that. Part of wonders sometimes how interested Vivek is in the sport basketball. From that, I could see Aneel being his proxy.

Jman1949
September 15, 2020 1:50 pm

Hey! Vivek coached his daughter’s team€”he’s a Basketball Genius!

AirmaxPG
September 15, 2020 1:14 pm

Also, maybe just another tiny little difference here, but Jerry Buss had overseen multiple championship teams (some would call them a dynasty).

Vivek’s reputation is that of one of the worst owners in pro sports.

When you win, you get a certain level of trust. Vivek hasn’t won shit.

BabalooMagoo
September 15, 2020 1:27 pm

I was told there would be no math.

Falconsfury
Comments
Comments
September 15, 2020 4:54 pm

I think the better comparison is Kirk Lacob who essentially was handed a front office gig after graduating and is still only 34 (younger than Aneel). Nobody batted an eye when Joe Lacob (25% Warriors ownership) handed his son a high profile gig yet we question Aneel. Feels like a poor double standard in these racially charged times.

richie88
September 16, 2020 12:39 am
Reply to  Falconsfury

GS has won 3 titles w/Lacob as owner. The Kings haven’t made the playoffs w/Vivek as owner. That’s a major difference.

AmateurNerd
Comments
Comments
September 15, 2020 1:04 pm

Um, it’s the Kings. It’s a monarchy. DYNASTIC monarchy. Buckle up, buttercup.

BeTheBall
September 15, 2020 11:52 am

That might be true. We definitely know Gilbert’s kid was involved with the lottery. That said, his business acumen seems to leave a lot to be desired, in taking a quick look at his professional life.

September 15, 2020 12:00 pm
Reply to  BeTheBall

Going to the lottery doesn’t require skill, just luck. Conducting a proper interview does.

Ialmostmissthemaloofs
September 15, 2020 12:11 pm

Ya, I’m not liking Aneel being involved. I don’t know much about him, but I’m just not sure how being a 36 year old son of a tech guy qualifies you to be involved in the interviews of an NBA GM.

If I was one of the candidates with years of NBA front office experience, and the kid asked me a question… I would probably be like “I’m sorry… who the F are you again?” For all we know, he was in dad’s ear when Vlade was hired. The less Ran-a-divas in the room, the better as far as I’m concerned.

And where is Forde in all of this? Why would the kid be in the interview, but not Forde? Seems… very Kangzy.

richie88
September 15, 2020 12:29 pm

I don’t like that he’s involved, but he was pro-Luka prior to that draft IIRC.

September 15, 2020 12:32 pm
Reply to  richie88

I really don’t mind that he is involved. He’s no slouch. He’s got a mathematics degree from Columbia University and has been a part of a few startups. He might be there nunning analytical questions/thoughts passed Gupta and McNair.

Put it this way, I much prefer him being there than Matina.

Last edited 2 years ago by Adamsite
Wonderchild
September 15, 2020 12:37 pm

someone has to take minutes, right?

AirmaxPG
September 15, 2020 12:49 pm
Reply to  Wonderchild

The last 15 seasons of Kings basketball, summed up in one sentence.

September 15, 2020 12:44 pm

I might have more confidence in RORDOG, who has a degree from California Polytechnic State University San Luis Obispo (GO MUSTANGS!), sitting in on that meeting. 😛

….the Ranadives are really into math, which is awesome. I think Vivek said once that math is what will make you get ahead of everyone else (heavily paraphrasing from suspect memory). I haven’t really seen a cutting edge analytics department in the Kings to match the enthusiasm of Vivek and Aneel’s love of mathematics.

Last edited 2 years ago by Kosta
Wonderchild
September 15, 2020 12:48 pm

A tool is only as good as the person who uses it. If our FO doesn’t use analytics, it doesn’t matter how “top of the line” our analytics department is.

September 15, 2020 12:58 pm
Reply to  Wonderchild

We sometimes make the joke about how it’s not hard to surround yourself with people smarter than yourself if you’re not too bright.

Here, Vivek makes the joke himself!

(2:38ish mark, if it’s not cued up)

Last edited 2 years ago by Kosta
Wonderchild
September 15, 2020 1:02 pm

“Being surrounded by people smarter than yourself” and “surrounding yourself with smarter people than yourself” has a simple but very important distinction.

richie88
September 15, 2020 12:53 pm

It seems like a Gupta/McNair FO would rely heavily on analytics.

September 15, 2020 12:54 pm
Reply to  richie88

The good teams do.

richie88
September 15, 2020 12:58 pm

My impression is that they rely on a mix of analytics, scouting & player development.

September 15, 2020 1:04 pm
Reply to  richie88

True, but I would think that analytics would dictate the scouting and player development.

AmateurNerd
Comments
Comments
September 15, 2020 1:08 pm

This was the biggest (and saddest) irony of the Vlade era. An owner with a demonstrated love and aptitude for numbers has presided over perhaps the least analytical, poorly staffed F.O. in the league. It’s like Steve Jobs hiring five Luddites to run Apple.

September 15, 2020 1:16 pm
Reply to  AmateurNerd

Meanwhile, the GM that was part of an iconic (for Sacramento) team that thrived almost entirely upon BBIQ and passing, particularly from their front court, built a team devoid of both.

None of it makes any sense.

AmateurNerd
Comments
Comments
September 15, 2020 1:25 pm

Right? At least the Pete D hire made sense at the time. He was considered an up-and-comer with an appreciation for analytics and doing things on the cutting edge. It ended up being a terrible hire, but at least it was made for the right reasons. Vlade was/is an analytics Cro-Magnon man.

Last edited 2 years ago by AmateurNerd
September 15, 2020 2:02 pm

I’ve thought about this for a really long time. The only thing I can thing of is that Vlade falsely believes that creativity is a mindset instead of a skill. I don’t think he realizes how skilled he was. He essentially sought players who were athletic or raw, and assumed culture and coaching could unlock their untapped potential.

A good example of the raw part is PapaG. Vlade literally said he believed that he could be the next Marc Gasol. How do you have such a galaxy brain take like that unless you truly believe playmaking instincts can be taught? Same with Bagley. If you go back and listen to Vlade’s post-draft press conference he talks about Bagley’s passing. He had 1.5 assists per game at Duke, and Carter Jr. was obviously the one that had the actual passing instincts in that frontcourt.

September 15, 2020 1:42 pm

Technically, I never received my degree! There was some sort of graduation writing requirement that I just chose not to take. I went to a job fair my senior year, and Coastal Berry (now Dole Berry) offered me a job that paid 10x what I was making at Mothers Tavern as a dishwasher. I’ve mentioned it in the past, but I’m not the most competent writer. I don’t understand all the rules, and I just assumed I would fail the actual writing test. My goal is to get some sort of honorary degree from like Phoenix University.

richie88
September 15, 2020 1:46 pm

Your writing has be fine on StR & TKH. It wouldn’t hurt to try to take the writing test unless it costs a lot of $.

Last edited 2 years ago by richie88