Articles | GM Search | Latest News

Could the Kings get both Sachin Gupta and Monte McNair?

What if the Kings manage to land not one but two of their top candidates?

When the Sacramento Kings and Vlade Divac parted ways, most Kings fans hoped the Kings could finally land a qualified candidate. But what if the Kings could get two? What if the Kings could get both Sachin Gupta and Monte McNair? That may be possible, according to our old friend Carmichael Dave.

While it may seem crazy that McNair would leave Houston for a lateral move to Sacramento, it may not be all that far-fetched. Houston is undergoing turmoil of their own this offseason. Mike D'Antoni is leaving the team and there's speculation Daryl Morey could be gone as well. If Morey is dismissed, it seems unlikely that Rockets owner Tilman Fertitta would fill the position from within. With that uncertainty in Houston, Monte McNair could be more willing to join the Kings in a lateral move.

Gupta and McNair worked together when Gupta worked for the Rockets. We never know how well two people may have gotten along, but there is presumably some sort of working relationship that exists between the two.

Clearly from Dave's tweets nothing is locked in, but it's a fun idea to keep an eye on.

***

Dave also passed along some additional information about the interview process.

Joe Dumars is back, baby!

Nobody seems clear on what Joe Dumars is doing! He's in the process, he's out of the process, he's in the interviews! Great stuff. \

As long as the candidates understand what Dumars' role will and won't be going forward, this may not be a big concern. With the Kings, you never know. We'll keep an eye on it.

Yazan Ibrahim

GULPING FOR GUPTA

Reply to  Yazan13

McLovin’ McNair?

Kevin Lam
9 days ago

Well, hopefully their past working relationship would help, because I certainly don’t want another situation of too many cooks in the kitchen at the top and then more infighting comes up because there are two people with conflicting opinions on where to go. We shall see…

Darren Van Blois
9 days ago

Having more cooks in the front office should be a good thing.

Kevin Lam
9 days ago

Uhhhh, with this organization? They need to prove that first.

Parker Wells
9 days ago

The important distinction is getting qualified cooks this time.

K W
Reply to  Wonderchild

“Chicken is best done medium-rare, right?” – Kangz cookz

Last edited 9 days ago by AmateurNerd
Parker Wells
Reply to  AmateurNerd

Chicken 3.0

My Neighbor Turturro
Reply to  AmateurNerd

Apparently, it wouldn’t be the first time someone has tried it. Can someone check in on Morgan Jane Gibbs?

9 days ago

I heard she was fine until she had cookie-dough ice cream for dessert.

Parker Wells
9 days ago

The molten lava cake is basically a medium rare chocolate cake.

Reply to  Wonderchild

Ooh, I never thought of it like that before.

If I weren’t vegetablarian, I’d ask for my sushi to be well-done.

Kevin Lam
9 days ago

I’m not vegetarian or vegan, but starting around December of last year I started to gradually reduce the amount of animal products I buy at the grocery store, mostly for environmental reasons. It’s gotten to the point where I don’t buy dairy or products with dairy anymore (which is tricky because you reeeeeally have to read the ingredients carefully), and the only animal products I buy now are (pasture-raised) eggs, seafood (mostly wild caught Salmon), and sometimes deli turkey slices (but not the cheap crappy kind…the Applegate brand is the best in terms of animal welfare-wise and the ingredients are super clean and not full of preservatives). I’ve become very fond of things such as oat milk, Gardein, and Beyond Beef. I still eat meat/dairy if I happen to be eating out at like a restaurant or with family/friends, but considering I would rarely eat out even before quarantine, the foods I get at the grocery store consisted of like 95% of my diet.

There’s also a YouTube channel I follow called “FlavCity” and the guy makes videos where he goes to the grocery store and tells you what the best kinds of products to buy for different kinds of foods and what ingredients you should watch out for. It’s actually been a huge influence on what I get at the store now, and it makes me look back and think how much crappy kinds of foods I used to eat on a consistent basis!

Last edited 9 days ago by Klam
Josh Hobson
9 days ago

I started eating vegan a few years ago, it was a great decision.

K W
9 days ago

Looks like we know who started the whole COVID thing.

Bryan B
9 days ago

Apparently, she appears to have committed suicide 8 months after posting that.

My Neighbor Turturro
8 days ago
Reply to  BeTheBall

I just looked it up, an you’re right. I feel awful for posting that now. Pretty goddamned tone-deaf of me. My apologies.

Bryan B
8 days ago

No apologies necessary. Hell, I didn’t know until I went to go look up the post to see if it was a spoof account, ala Titania McGrath and the like, that made it.

Last edited 8 days ago by BeTheBall
Rob Hessing
9 days ago

Yep. They need one chef & a few line cooks.

Kevin Lam

comment imagev

9 days ago

How about like a Jazz band of chefs?

Tom Cutter
9 days ago

Oooh .. Is Gordon Ramsey available? Congrats to new GM, welcome to Kings Basketball!

Last edited 9 days ago by ZillersCat
Richie J
9 days ago

It should be a good thing, but it’s been a problem for the Kings in the past.

Eric W
Reply to  richie88

But the solution to that is actually hiring good people in well-defined roles. Not reducing staff. Just like the solution to drafting horribly isn’t to give away your draft picks.

Last edited 9 days ago by BestHyperboleEver
Richie J
9 days ago

This setup sounds promising, but the history of the Vivek era makes me worry. If this setup happens & Vivek stays out of the way, this’ll probably be the best FO of the Vivek era.

Last edited 9 days ago by richie88
Maxwell Huss
Reply to  richie88

Yeah, me too. I would be glad if McNair was on board underneath Gupta. But I sincerely hope that it was Gupta’s call either way.

Sachin is the one we want. Let him choose his own staff.

K W
Reply to  AirmaxPG

Vivek: “Sachin, the job is yours!”
Sachin: “Thank you! I’m excited to get started.”
Vivek: “So is Monte!”
Sachin: “Huh?”
Vivek: “I’m hiring him to be your competit–I mean your right-hand man!”
Sachin: “But I would like to hire my own staff. You said I would have full control over all hiring decisions.”
Vivek: “Sachin, Sachin, my friend, you have full control AFTER you sign the contract. Better sign it now, before Monte does! They’re the same thing!”
Sachin: “I immediately regret my decision.”
Peaches: “ALL CONTRACTS MATTER!!!! EVERY ONE!!!!!!”

Greg Lederman

9 days ago

hoping Aneel accidentally does a Tik Tok with them all sitting in the board room.

J Man
9 days ago

With “Gupta” and “McNair” listed clearly at the top of the whiteboard!

Reply to  Jman1949

Vivek overheard in the background: “my dear friend Steve Jobs taught me, and it’s super simple. You just place your three middle fingers on the palm of your hand, and then stick your pinky and thumb out like so.”

9 days ago

…That’s what it’s all about!

Adam Dieter
9 days ago

I’ve been thinking, from Dave’s tweet it seems things may already be in motion and they are just working out the details. It would also make sense the McNair may know his time in Houston is limited so he is jumping ship while he can. The Kings may just find themselves in the right place at the right time and get both. That would be amazing.

9 days ago

yeah this is where I’m at. They seem to have moved into the courtship phase. The McNair thing is interesting. I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s a lot of front office downsizing that takes place over the next year or so. McNair may be looking to lock up a guaranteed salary (and technically a promotion) before the job market dries up.

My only concern is the budget situation if they go this route. They’ll basically be allocating a big portion of the front office budget pie to two people with similar backgrounds. How does that affect their ability to attract people on the scouting and player development side?

Knowing their reputations, it’s gonna be an easy one.

J Man
9 days ago

Maybe they can offset some of the extra cost by cutting ties with Luke Bornn.

Richie J
Reply to  Jman1949

If he’s still under contract, that’d lead to paying him to do nothing (though he probably didn’t have much influence under Vlade, so it probably wouldn’t be much of a change for him).

Last edited 9 days ago by richie88
Reply to  Jman1949

They already have for the most part. He was VP of strategy and analytics, and now he’s “Basketball Analytics Advisor”. He’s doing some new sports acquisition venture with Billy Beane I believe.

The other person I’m curious about is Ken Catanella. He’s technically still an Assistant GM. It will be interesting to see if he retains his role to provide a level of continuity. There’s obviously some overlap in terms of expertise, but you can never have too many smart people. One could make the argument that the Kings would go from worst to first from an analytics perspective if Gupta/McNair/Catanella were the top three basketball minds in the org. chart. I believe all 3 have been the head of their respective teams’ analytics dept. at some point.

The other thing I’m curious about is who’s going to be the negotiator. Gupta may be able to come up with all sorts of crazy trade scenarios, but that’s different than being able to negotiate trades. Based on the stuff I’ve read and heard, he seems like kind of a soft spoken dude. In certain situations that’s not the worst thing. I’m sure he’ll do fine negotiating with people who he already has an established relationship with. There’s just certain situations in which you need a shark that can smell blood in the water.

K W
9 days ago

After 7 years of Pete D and Vlade, I’m okay with soft-spoken, as long as it’s not dumb-spoken.

Richie J
9 days ago

I thought Catanella’s mainly a cap guru? If he has analytics expertise, that’s probably something Vlade didn’t use. My impression is that Gupta’s a cap guru as a result of creating the ESPN Trade Machine, so that’d also create some overlap.

Reply to  richie88

He was in charge of the analytics dept. and cap guru in Detroit.

Reply to  Greg

Coincidentally, I’m in charge of my household’s Drink Responsibly Department.

Eric W
9 days ago

I don’t really see why being “soft-spoken” would suggest someone is any less of a negotiator. Negotiations, especially at these types of high-levels within small circles, is usually primarily about preparation, having/sticking to a well-laid out plan, and creating and maintaining relationships with the other managers.

Maxwell Huss
9 days ago

Our previous GM was a “master negotiator”…

Richie J
9 days ago

Being soft-spoken could cause problems w/creating and maintaining relationships with the other GM’s (though it isn’t guaranteed that it could lead to that). In addition to the attributes you listed, persistence & being persuasive are also important (& being soft-spoken might cause problems w/being persuasive, but that isn’t guaranteed either).

RORDOG’s description of a trade negotiator who’s “a shark that can smell blood in the water” reminds me of Doug Wilson (he’s the Sharks GM & he does a lot of trades). Based on what I’ve read about his trades, the factors you listed are key for starting the process, but persistence & persuasiveness are key factors for getting a deal done

Last edited 9 days ago by richie88
9 days ago

I’m just kinda reading between the lines. Apparently, he’s awkward at press conferences and maybe a bit quirky. My point is really just that coming up with theoretical deals and negotiating deals are two different skillsets. He may need a “lead negotiator” that can kinda plays poker with other teams. These things aren’t apples to apples, but I do think it’s similar to the playmaking discussion we had. The ability to wheel and deal may be a skill that’s separate, but related, to crafting the plan.

Obviously I don’t know the guy, so I can’t look into his soul and determine if he has brass balls. I just got the vibe that Gupta is more of a guy that works best in the background. He may blossom into more than that once he’s the top dog, but it’s still a concern.

9 days ago

my remedy for being soft-spoken:

WRITING EMAILS IN ALL-CAPS

Last edited 9 days ago by Kosta
Steven Cheng
9 days ago

Vlade was great with the press but then again listening to him talking as a GM you would realize how inept he is in that position. If you’ve got the talent and experience you should be qualified to do the job

Bryan B
9 days ago

Wait, his kid is involved in the interview process? Just when you thought there might be an inkling of competency, we go Kangz again.

Last edited 9 days ago by BeTheBall
Adam Dieter
Reply to  BeTheBall

I wouldn’t be surprised if a lot of owners children are involved with their respective teams. Plus, he’s 36, it’s not like it’s a bring your kid to work thing. You never know, he may be the one running the show some day. That’s how the Lakers did it.

Rik Smits
9 days ago

NO F-ing way. Vivek is not the majority owner. he only has 20% of the shares. You can’t tell me the CEO and Chairman riles are hereditary.

9 days ago

I heard a rumor that Akis is Tom Ziller’s son, and inherited the site from him.

From the same source, Greg is more influential in certain circles than Matina is.

Rik Smits
9 days ago

These certain circles happen to be the circles of spouses of the TKH commenters?

Tom Cutter
9 days ago

Where does that leave the cat?

Reply to  ZillersCat

Zillercat runs everything. Zillercat is even more powerful than Matina.

Last edited 9 days ago by Kosta
Adam Dieter
9 days ago

Jeanie Buss owns 1/5 of the 66% share of ownership that Jerry Buss had. She is the controlling partner, much like Vivek. I’m not saying that Aneel is going to be running the team, but I don’t see an issue with him being involved.

Rik Smits
9 days ago

Right, so her father held 2/3rd of the shares and had full control over choosing his successor, so I get grooming her for the job.

Vivek has only 1/5th of the shares. This apples and oranges. I can’t imagine the other shareholders being thrilled with his inclusion.

9 days ago

I feel like this is a situation in which Aneel will essentially become Vivek’s proxy. I’m not saying I agree with it, but that’s just the sense I get. If we look at this as more of a meet and greet, and less as a part of the actual interview process then it make more sense. Aneel is there because McNair and Gupta will be working with him at some level, so it’s good to establish a relationship before signing the contracts.

And I should point out, before moving into the medical sector, I spent my entire life in Agriculture. It’s basically just a normal thing to interact with companies that have “and son(s)” included in the name of the corporate entity. Usually there’s the smart son that’s the heir apparent, and then the Fredo of the family that gets to be in charge of the manure operation. It just kinda is what it is. We just have to hope Aneel isn’t the Fredo.

9 days ago

I get my hotdogs from RORDOG & PUPS, co.

Last edited 9 days ago by Kosta
9 days ago

The RORDOG does not have any pups (that I know of). I am definitely the Fredo pup of the DOG family though. Unfortunately, my dad worked for a family farm, instead of owning one, so I didn’t inherit a cushy manure job.

(DOORKNOCK sound)

RORDOG’S LADYFRIEND: “Honey, why aren’t you answering the door? And why are you hiding behind the couch?”

RORDOG: “I’m hiding from the, uh…..DOOR-TO-DOOR SALESPEOPLE….yeah, that’s the ticket!”

9 days ago

LOL I literally was like “I feel like I need to unregister from ancestry.com”. I don’t want to be put in the awkward situation in which a new son pops up in my family tree.

Kevin Lam
9 days ago

Is his Ladyfriend a……..Ladybird?

Adam Dieter
9 days ago

I could see that. Part of wonders sometimes how interested Vivek is in the sport basketball. From that, I could see Aneel being his proxy.

J Man
9 days ago

Hey! Vivek coached his daughter’s team—he’s a Basketball Genius!

Maxwell Huss
9 days ago

Also, maybe just another tiny little difference here, but Jerry Buss had overseen multiple championship teams (some would call them a dynasty).

Vivek’s reputation is that of one of the worst owners in pro sports.

When you win, you get a certain level of trust. Vivek hasn’t won shit.

John Parker
9 days ago

I was told there would be no math.

Kevin Fung
9 days ago

I think the better comparison is Kirk Lacob who essentially was handed a front office gig after graduating and is still only 34 (younger than Aneel). Nobody batted an eye when Joe Lacob (25% Warriors ownership) handed his son a high profile gig yet we question Aneel. Feels like a poor double standard in these racially charged times.

Richie J
Reply to  Falconsfury

GS has won 3 titles w/Lacob as owner. The Kings haven’t made the playoffs w/Vivek as owner. That’s a major difference.

K W
9 days ago

Um, it’s the Kings. It’s a monarchy. DYNASTIC monarchy. Buckle up, buttercup.

Bryan B
9 days ago

That might be true. We definitely know Gilbert’s kid was involved with the lottery. That said, his business acumen seems to leave a lot to be desired, in taking a quick look at his professional life.

Rik Smits
Reply to  BeTheBall

Going to the lottery doesn’t require skill, just luck. Conducting a proper interview does.

Mark Shelton

Ya, I’m not liking Aneel being involved. I don’t know much about him, but I’m just not sure how being a 36 year old son of a tech guy qualifies you to be involved in the interviews of an NBA GM.

If I was one of the candidates with years of NBA front office experience, and the kid asked me a question… I would probably be like “I’m sorry… who the F are you again?” For all we know, he was in dad’s ear when Vlade was hired. The less Ran-a-divas in the room, the better as far as I’m concerned.

And where is Forde in all of this? Why would the kid be in the interview, but not Forde? Seems… very Kangzy.

Richie J
9 days ago

I don’t like that he’s involved, but he was pro-Luka prior to that draft IIRC.

Adam Dieter
Reply to  richie88

I really don’t mind that he is involved. He’s no slouch. He’s got a mathematics degree from Columbia University and has been a part of a few startups. He might be there nunning analytical questions/thoughts passed Gupta and McNair.

Put it this way, I much prefer him being there than Matina.

Last edited 9 days ago by Adamsite
Parker Wells
9 days ago

someone has to take minutes, right?

Maxwell Huss
Reply to  Wonderchild

The last 15 seasons of Kings basketball, summed up in one sentence.

9 days ago

I might have more confidence in RORDOG, who has a degree from California Polytechnic State University San Luis Obispo (GO MUSTANGS!), sitting in on that meeting. 😛

….the Ranadives are really into math, which is awesome. I think Vivek said once that math is what will make you get ahead of everyone else (heavily paraphrasing from suspect memory). I haven’t really seen a cutting edge analytics department in the Kings to match the enthusiasm of Vivek and Aneel’s love of mathematics.

Last edited 9 days ago by Kosta
Parker Wells
9 days ago

A tool is only as good as the person who uses it. If our FO doesn’t use analytics, it doesn’t matter how “top of the line” our analytics department is.

Reply to  Wonderchild

We sometimes make the joke about how it’s not hard to surround yourself with people smarter than yourself if you’re not too bright.

Here, Vivek makes the joke himself!

(2:38ish mark, if it’s not cued up)

Last edited 9 days ago by Kosta
Parker Wells
9 days ago

“Being surrounded by people smarter than yourself” and “surrounding yourself with smarter people than yourself” has a simple but very important distinction.

Richie J
9 days ago

It seems like a Gupta/McNair FO would rely heavily on analytics.

Adam Dieter
Reply to  richie88

The good teams do.

Richie J
9 days ago

My impression is that they rely on a mix of analytics, scouting & player development.

Adam Dieter
Reply to  richie88

True, but I would think that analytics would dictate the scouting and player development.

K W
9 days ago

This was the biggest (and saddest) irony of the Vlade era. An owner with a demonstrated love and aptitude for numbers has presided over perhaps the least analytical, poorly staffed F.O. in the league. It’s like Steve Jobs hiring five Luddites to run Apple.

Eric W
Reply to  AmateurNerd

Meanwhile, the GM that was part of an iconic (for Sacramento) team that thrived almost entirely upon BBIQ and passing, particularly from their front court, built a team devoid of both.

None of it makes any sense.

K W
9 days ago

Right? At least the Pete D hire made sense at the time. He was considered an up-and-comer with an appreciation for analytics and doing things on the cutting edge. It ended up being a terrible hire, but at least it was made for the right reasons. Vlade was/is an analytics Cro-Magnon man.

Last edited 9 days ago by AmateurNerd
9 days ago

I’ve thought about this for a really long time. The only thing I can thing of is that Vlade falsely believes that creativity is a mindset instead of a skill. I don’t think he realizes how skilled he was. He essentially sought players who were athletic or raw, and assumed culture and coaching could unlock their untapped potential.

A good example of the raw part is PapaG. Vlade literally said he believed that he could be the next Marc Gasol. How do you have such a galaxy brain take like that unless you truly believe playmaking instincts can be taught? Same with Bagley. If you go back and listen to Vlade’s post-draft press conference he talks about Bagley’s passing. He had 1.5 assists per game at Duke, and Carter Jr. was obviously the one that had the actual passing instincts in that frontcourt.

9 days ago

Technically, I never received my degree! There was some sort of graduation writing requirement that I just chose not to take. I went to a job fair my senior year, and Coastal Berry (now Dole Berry) offered me a job that paid 10x what I was making at Mothers Tavern as a dishwasher. I’ve mentioned it in the past, but I’m not the most competent writer. I don’t understand all the rules, and I just assumed I would fail the actual writing test. My goal is to get some sort of honorary degree from like Phoenix University.

Richie J
9 days ago

Your writing has be fine on StR & TKH. It wouldn’t hurt to try to take the writing test unless it costs a lot of $.

Last edited 9 days ago by richie88
Reply to  richie88

Thanks! I don’t even know how one would go about taking the test at this point. I technically have enough credits to have an agribusiness degree with a concentration in marketing and minors in psychology, poultry science and viticulture (not to mention 7 quarters of bowling classes). They should give me the degree just based on spending 5 years there plus summer school.

J Man
9 days ago

I heard that they changed the test recently. All that’s required now is to write, “Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.”

Eric W
9 days ago

As someone who makes their living through writing I’ll let you in on a little secret:

Nobody knows all the rules; most of them are nonsense anyway.

Like that right there. A fucking semi-colon. There’s nothing more useless than a semi-colon. Yet there it is, looking all smug and making 99% of the people here question what they’re supposed to do when they come to it. Do I stop like a period? Do I hang-dribble and go like a comma? Fuck you, semi-colon. Fuck you. You’re just an m-dash in a cravat.

9 days ago

that really is the problem. Where do you put the quotation mark in a quote? When do you use a semicolon versus a comma, or period? m-dash? I don’t even know how to make one of those.

The biggest thing for me is that writing and talking are two different things. The best writers are capable of writing in their talking voice. I try to do that, but the more you try to write like you talk, the more you need to use the various punctuation marks. And I’m a sales guy! I can sell a ketchup popsicle to a woman wearing white gloves.

I just wish universities didn’t rate people based on their ability to understand a bunch of arbitrary rules; unrelated to their specific major. It’s like forcing someone to take a motorcycle test when they’re trying to get forklift certified. I didn’t go to school to learn how to write a novel.

9 days ago

My wife always points out when I say “I should’ve went” and gets furious at me.

But when I write, I don’t make that silly mistake. I don’t know why I keep doing it. I know it’s wrong.

I apologize for my terrible writing here on TKH, though. My grammar and punctuation and vocabulary are all a mess.

It’s so much easier to communicate through pictures, like the ancient Egyptians did!

If a picture paints a thousand words, then a GIF paints a million.

Eric W
9 days ago

I was laughing about my common use of “a whole nother.” As if the word was “a nother.” Like “I wish I was a fan of a nother team.”

9 days ago

Also to any of the lurkers out there, I just want to say fire off those comments! Every time I read a post from a FTCLTL (first time commenter long time lurker) I’m always like “why did that person wait so long to post?”

J Man
9 days ago

Submit all of your written work in verse, then claim “poetic license” when you’re called out for grammar and punctuation mistakes!

Parker Wells
9 days ago

Just write like Shatner. Always, use, a, comma.

K W
Reply to  Wonderchild

And always use Caps in random Places that are Not Names of People or Places Or Things!

J Man

James Desmond

It’s the Eurocomma.

9 days ago

“POLYTechnically, I never received my degree!”

Doggone it, I knew that particular RORDOG trivia but somehow forgot. Still, you received some education from the fine institution that is Cal Poly.

To be fair, I got a prized Architecture degree from Cal Poly, but now I mostly blur boobs and balls. So I guess it may not matter much if ya got a degree or didn’t.

I really wish I could’ve patronized Mothers Tavern when you were a dishwasher there. I would’ve finger-painted “GO KINGS!” on the finished plate of my Big Brownie Sundae to show you some solidarity in code.

Last edited 9 days ago by Kosta
9 days ago

The Mothers Tavern patrons were the best. Chuck Liddell broke my roommate’s wrist when he picked her up and twirled her around. I had to pull Bud Bundy up off the floor of the bathroom because he was passed out. It was just different times. And don’t even get me started about the brawls that would occur at nickle beer night during the Kings/Lakers rivalries at The Shack on Foothill. The bar owned by Scott Peterson. You had fans of two heated rivals (technically the rivalry was heating up 2000-2001), and the first person to pee ended the beers for a nickle night.

9 days ago

Oh wow, you make it sound like 1990’s MTV! What great stories. (At least you didn’t find Ted Bundy in that bathroom)

I’m guessing some patrons at The Shack in that Kings/L*kers rivalry night peed themselves for the honor of their team.

I love San Luis Obispo and have so many great memories from there, none of which are as interesting as yours, but still….

Can you please promise me that you and Lady RORDOG will get married at The Madonna Inn? I want to live my dreams vicariously through you.

I will carry my bride across the threshold into The Golfer’s Room

Josh Hobson

Go Mustangs!

T I
9 days ago

Vivek has a Masters from MIT so…yeah.

I’d prefer neither him or Matina. But he might not be doing much other than just getting his feet wet.

Maxwell Huss
Reply to  richie88

Pretty much anyone would have taken Luka in that draft. Anyone, that is, except for Vlade…

Richie J
Reply to  AirmaxPG

Yeah, it indicates that he would’ve been a better GM than Vlade, but that’s an incredibly low bar.

9 days ago

Holy Quacamole, Eddie is right: we ARE a farm team!

1. Influencer connections – we own the Sacramento Kings NBA team which gives vast contacts in media, sports and entertainment. Many of the top artists in the world play at our newly built Golden 1 arena, the most high tech arena in the world. We can reach any top artists or athletes globally. We’re also building over 200 acres of land in downtown Sacramento in addition to the arena, aiming to create a “smart city,” which also provides deep connections in construction, real estate, and farming as Sacramento is the “breadbasket of the country”

(from Aneel’s online bio): https://coda.io/@aneel-ranadive/aneel-ranadive-bio

Darren Van Blois
9 days ago

Ha-ha. That’s the idea. Redefine “Farm Team” and spin it to our advantage. Same with the cowbells and small market identity. take pride in it and Play it to our advantage. Now you’re playing.

John Landwehr
9 days ago

I don’t see an issue with Vivek’s son being in the interview room. We don’t know what his involvement is. As a coach myself, I was in the interview room for a lot of candidates when they were interviewing. I didn’t ask any questions and just sat in the corner and listened. It was a great learning experience for me. Learned the interview process and ways to be prepared and present yourself.

Now if the son has any sway on who gets hired or the questions being asked…then I would be extremely worried.

Hopefully Forde and Dumars are involved in some capacity because their experience is invaluable. The Kings need to hit a homerun with this hire. With Sachin and Monte, the Kings just might.

Reply to  jlandweh

On the subject of Father’s and sons working together:

Mike Petrie: Assistant Vice President of Basketball Operations of the Sacramento Kings from 2011-2012 to 2012-2013.

I don’t remember how he got to that position.

Adam Dieter

Don and Donnie Nelson in Dallas

Mark Shelton

True. But in both of those cases, the father was a legitimate basketball mind. Stands to reason the son could grow up under dad’s wing and become a solid basketball exec too.
We are talking about the son of the dismissive little chap here…

9 days ago

My boss when we would play basketball after work:

“WHO’S YOUR DADDY!!!”

(Narrator: “In fact, they were not related”)

Last edited 9 days ago by Kosta
9 days ago

A charitable look at the situation is that Forde was in charge of the vetting, presentation, and introduction process. A less charitable look is that Vivek wanted Gupta from the beginning, and this was all just a dog and pony show.

Aman Singh
9 days ago

I’d be happy with one and ecstatic with getting the both of them. While neither have had the experience of leading a front office, both seem to be bright and experienced in working in competent NBA front offices.

It’d be a breath of fresh air to go from Vlade and Peja to Gupta and McNair. Who knows if they’d be successful but I’m 99% sure they won’t be as bad as the previous disaster of a front office.

Reply to  King4life

Still, we could’ve gotten Luka.

Greg Lederman
Reply to  King4life

These are the days where I miss Grant spinning his way out of saying Vlade/Peja were great picks and were going to turn the whole thing around.

First Last
Reply to  Gregoryl

Greg Lederman
9 days ago

His absence really hasn’t made me dislike him any less…

Grant Napear
Reply to  Gregoryl

Come on man, I’m a nice guy if you get to know me. Don’t judge a book by its cover or a person by what they say.

Jerry Reynolds
9 days ago

It could be very good if both are hired and no sure evidence that it would improve anything ! Both have a lot to prove as final decision makers ! Plus, Vivek is very much still involved and naive to believe otherwise !

9 days ago

Vivek collecting candidates like Vlade collected second rounders.

Last edited 9 days ago by Kosta
Kevin Lam

Now THAT’s nostalgic.

T D
9 days ago

Just tell me when this process is finished!

Or, alternatively:

9 days ago

Wake 1951 up, when September ends.

Murray Bowron

Its not April 1 is it?

Reply to  Murf

In 2020, every day is April 1st.

Kings Guru21
9 days ago

Proof will be in the pudding.

T D
9 days ago

The Small-Human Giraffe probably puts raisins in his pudding, not proof.

Last edited 9 days ago by 1951
Kings Guru21
9 days ago

Ain’t my fault Tim is a dinkus.

Upon further examination, raisins in pudding is perfectly acceptable. Tim is still a dinkus though.

Last edited 9 days ago by Kingsguru21
9 days ago

the only good pudding is when they add whipped cream to plain ol jello chocolate pudding to make it a mouse of sorts.

Kings Guru21