Articles | Coronavirus | Latest News

State of California will allow fans to return to games April 15th

The Kings appear ready to allow fans in as soon as allowed.

The State of California announced that indoor sporting venues can allow a limited number of fans, effective April 15th. The exact number of fans allowed depends on a couple of variables, including which Tier the state is in at any given moment and how well the venue is able to space people out. But the key takeaway is that the Kings will be allowed to have fans in the stands before the end of the season.

This doesn't automatically mean the Kings would allow fans to return, but there's no reason to think the Kings will hesitae. The Sacramento Kings released a statement regarding the state's announcement, and it supports the notion that the Kings will be bringing fans back:

“We are excited about today’s announcement regarding indoor professional sports venues and look forward to safely welcoming fans back to the arena in the near future. On behalf of the entire organization, we thank Governor Newsom, state and county public health officials and the NBA who have worked tirelessly to mitigate the spread of COVID-19, providing prevention guidelines and protocols and for collaborating to create a robust health and safety plan that enables guests to return to Golden 1 Center.”

Over the next two weeks we'll get more information on how many fans will be allowed in and how those tickets will be made available.

I know everyone is at varying stages of comfort with crowds of people at indoor events, but this was an expected next step as vaccine rollouts continue and the world begins to attempt a return to normal. Personally, I think this makes the prospect of making the play-in a little more exciting. I was a little disheartened at the idea of the Kings trying to secure a playoff berth with nobody in the building to cheer them on and celebrate if they pulled it off.

April 2, 2021 3:12 pm

Alright! Normal human behavior!!!!!

Gregoryl
April 2, 2021 3:18 pm

Going to Kings games was one of the few things I’ve missed over the last year.

TerzoM
April 2, 2021 3:29 pm

10th seed PIT here we come!comment image

April 2, 2021 3:44 pm

The same day the state opens vaccines to those 16 and older, they also decide that a bunch of people ought to get together and watch sportsball. Pass.

But best of luck to those of you who fall for this illusion of normalcy.

1951
April 2, 2021 4:02 pm

Mixed feelings. On the one hand, I want nothing more than to go to a game with my kiddos.

On the other hand, I suspect that things are going to head south again and that all this relaxation is going to make for some tough adjustments soon. We shall see.

April 2, 2021 5:29 pm

Same. As as long as 1 in 4 people refuse to get a vaccine for whatever asinine reason, we will be right back where we started in a few months. My parents, both in their 70’s got their vaccines in late January, which means they are good for what…6 months? What’s gonna happen when they are back out with the anti-vaxers/maskers come summer?

Carl
April 2, 2021 5:36 pm

Also, no vaccines for kids yet, which is 23% of the population.

Hippity_Hop_Barbershop
April 2, 2021 4:16 pm

G1C has those big front doors. I wonder if they have other ventilation. I say open the windows, ask people to wear masks when not in their seats/eating, and play ball.

Last edited 15 days ago by Hippity_Hop_Barbershop
BuffaloDiaspora
April 2, 2021 4:21 pm

The air handling systems of indoor arenas are engineering marvels. And yeah, the weather is perfect to open those big windows.

BuffaloDiaspora
April 2, 2021 4:20 pm

Wife & I are getting first dose tomorrow and second dose on May 1st. Since the first dose appears to be 80% effective at 2 weeks… sure, what the heck, I’ll go to a game or three.

BeTheBall
April 2, 2021 4:34 pm

Definitely good news, hope the infection rates continue to stay low and head lower. That said, if I get the itch to return to events any time soon, I’ll just be doing the baseball thing.

Mike120
April 2, 2021 5:27 pm

Awesome, great, terrific, insert exuberant phrase!!! I’m getting Pfizer shot #2 on the 7th. Let me in.

Carl
April 2, 2021 5:38 pm
Reply to  Mike120

I’m actually good with this, as long as you have to prove you’re vaccinated at the door.

Mike120
April 2, 2021 5:47 pm
Reply to  Carl

Yeah, I tend to prefer less big brother but for the first few months, I’d support that. I plan to laminate my card after I get my second shot.

April 2, 2021 11:08 pm
Reply to  Mike120

Don’t laminate it until they’ve cleared up your syphilis.

MidtownMike
April 3, 2021 12:54 am
Reply to  Carl

ewwwwww on vaccine passports

April 2, 2021 6:46 pm

It will be interesting to see how the positivity rate is impacted by opening things up more and more. It’s basically hovered around 2% in CA for over a month now. I’m all vaxxed up, so I’d have no issue going to a game indoors. I probably wouldn’t do so until the rate got to below 1% if I was still waiting for the vaccine.

MidtownMike
April 3, 2021 12:55 am

things have mostly been fine in the boogeyman states of FL, TX and any other red state that opened earlier and removed the mandates

Patreon Supporter    Registered On Day 1    Published Post  Published Post Nostradumbass