Articles | Mailbag

Chainmail: Submit your questions about the Sacramento Kings

We're here to talk draft strategy, trade ideas, GM candidates, or whatever else is on your mind.

Welcome back to another edition of Chainmail, the only Sacramento Kings mailbag exclusively typed up by ungulate hooves. We're here to talk offseason targets, possible Buddy Hield trades, pending free agents on the roster, draft night strategies, GM candidates, and whatever else is swirling around in your Kings-obsessed mind.

We also want to thank our sponsor for the mailbag, Carter Imports! Carter Imports is a Sacramento-based company that imports some of the very best Extra Virgin Olive Oil and Cretan Thyme Honey available in the world today. There has never been a better time to support one of our own than right now!

Now get asking so we can get answering!

To prevent spam, our system flags comments that include too many hyperlinks. If you would like to share a comment with multiple links, make sure you email [email protected] for it to be approved.
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
August 31, 2020 11:35 am

Hi, my name is Rob, first time caller, long time listener, love the show. I’ll take your answer off line…

Each of you name one player that you think will be there at #12 that you would love to have, one player at #12 that you would hate to have, and one player at #12 that would have you thinking that the ghost of Vlade Divac is still roaming the halls.

Last edited 2 years ago by RobHessing
SPTSJUNKIE
August 31, 2020 11:50 am

My early answer for #3 is Precious Achiuwa. 6’9” PF/C who can’t shoot and has just over a 0.3 A/T, but who gets a ton of points and rebounds. Could develop into a good big, but will likely some real development and even then maybe less valuable than similarly talented wings in the modern NBA.

To be fair, that’s not nearly as bad at #12 as it is at #2, but still, seems to have ghost of Vlade written all over it.

August 31, 2020 12:10 pm

I guess I’d have to start by figuring out who I think will be there. Quick mock leaving out trades because that adds too many variables: Edwards, Wiseman, Ball, Hayes, Avdija, Haliburton, Hayes, Lewis, Vassell, Toppin, Bey. So the highest ranked guys left behind are Okungwu, Okoro, Nesmith, Williams, Hampton, Precious, Anthony, etc.

Love: Poku
Like: Okoro, Okungwu
Meh: Nesmith
Hate: Williams, Precious, Hampton, Anthony, Maxey, etc.
Reaches I’d prefer to the Mehs and Hates: Tillman, Bane, Bolmaro
Vlade: Precious

eddie41
August 31, 2020 10:47 pm

On what are you basing your evaluation of Poku? I can’t find much on the net about him other than some highlights which sort of bring a young Josh McRoberts to mind.

September 1, 2020 10:05 am

Mostly scouting reports and videos. You can find a few full youth FIBA games and Olympiakos B games online. The Kings Pulse pod was pretty great.

As I mentioned below, while I think Poku shows some things McRoberts never did (better handle, more shooting off movement, etc), a healthy McRoberts with better mentality would be an excellent player.

eddie41
September 1, 2020 10:59 am

Yeah, I saw that podcast after I commented. I’m still not sold on him at 12. I’d be interested if they got him in the 2nd and stashed him.

September 1, 2020 11:10 am

I’d try to stash him either way.

eddie41
September 1, 2020 9:48 am

I don’t see the Okoro either. On offense he reminds me of like Ray Jackson from the fab5. It really stands out how erratic he is. And on D, his numbers (1 steal pg, 1 block pg vs. 3 fouls pg) don’t back up his hyped billing as a defensive specialist.

September 1, 2020 9:54 am

His defense is good by eye test. He moves his feet exceptionally well and is always dialed in and in a stance. On offense he’s a good downhill player. My issue with him is that he seems to have zero touch. Which makes me really skeptical if he’ll ever be a passable shooter.

eddie41
September 1, 2020 10:49 am

And Okongwu looks like he should return to school. If he is going to be an NBA player he will have to do it as a skilled player because his body language and natural demeanor are that of a finesse guy who shies away from contact like Skal Labissiere, but Okongwu lacks skills like dribbling, shooting, passing and court awareness. The athletic dunks and some shot blocking are deceiving in the way that it was for Devon Harden for Cal who was a really really bad player, even in college. He has to return to school and work on his game if he wants to be a good nba player.

eddie41
September 1, 2020 10:54 am

I think the “reaches” category is a misnomer. they are the opposite of reaches. they are safer picks, you know a little more about who they are and what you’re getting. You know they will belong in the nba. You like their game. If you draft those kinds of players with all four picks, I bet you would be happy.

September 1, 2020 11:07 am

“Reach” just refers to a team reaching farther from their draft position that expected to grab a guy at the prospect’s projected position. Me calling them a reach doesn’t say anything about how good or safe they are as a prospect. Just that projections have them going later in the draft.

Last edited 2 years ago by BestHyperboleEver
SPTSJUNKIE
August 31, 2020 11:40 am

At #12 – we seem to be in a position where there maybe a few players available who have a very high probability of developing into high end role players. Players like Vassell, Nesmith, and Green are arguably prototypical 3-D players to differing degrees (some better shooters, some better defenders, but all credible at both) with NBA builds and physical traits / athleticism. However, barring outlier development, they likely have lower ceilings as high end starters. Additionally, there are some prospects like Williams and Poku who have higher ceilings, but who could either be out of the league in 5 years or at least playing a very limited role when they are becoming RFAs. Our franchise has two issues – we have a lack of star power and we have whiffed on so many assets that we don’t have a ton of great trade capital.

So if you were GM, regardless of the exact player you would pick – strategically, would you prioritize trying to swing for the fences at #12 for a 10% chance at hitting a home run or would you draft a player you believe could be a solid starter and be happy with an 80% chance of hitting a double?

August 31, 2020 12:10 pm
Reply to  SPTSJUNKIE

Another problem has been our bad track record in developing players. I know that Vlade and Peja (bless their lungs) are gone, but that is probably not something that is remedied overnight.

SPTSJUNKIE
August 31, 2020 1:06 pm

I realize that I may be in the minority here, but while I think our coaching could have used players better – I still don’t know that we have had any issues with development.

Now that players are making millions and most teams have developmental coaches – most motivated players can improve.

We have complained about development here for the last 14 years and yet in hindsight – we mostly drafted really badly. We have had a lot of players leave us and go to better franchises and outside of Whiteside, I can’t think of a single player who did not develop here, but who did elsewhere. And Whiteside had to go to multiple teams, play overseas, and come back on a 10 day contract – and I personally think he was the issue more than any of those teams.

But even someone like IT who was an all star with Boston – if you look at his time here, he improved a lot and had stellar advanced metrics by the time Pete let him go for nothing.

Our real issue has been drafting poorly and then at times using players poorly so it doesn’t cater to their strengths such as Buddy Hield, who again arguably did develop here and looked fantastic under Joerger before Walton started using point-Buddy this season.

Wonderchild
August 31, 2020 1:19 pm
Reply to  SPTSJUNKIE

I think the Kings have a long history of playing players out of position. Tyreke Evans is a prime example. His USG% went down every year as a King, where they really should have developed him as a lead guard and better surrounded him with shooters.

August 31, 2020 1:39 pm
Reply to  Wonderchild

Yeah, I think a lot of what we often talk about when it comes to “development” is less about teaching guys skills and more about:

A) Identifying guys with the desire and capability to improve. All players do not have the same capacity for improvement no matter how hard they may work.
B) Putting players in the right positions and giving them the right opportunities to succeed.

I don’t really believe any one team is better than another at, say, improving Hield’s handle or Fox’s shot.

August 31, 2020 2:05 pm

I’d disagree with B a bit. A team like the Spurs knows how to best utilize their players while maximizing their strengths and hiding their weaknesses. I’d argue that they definitely “develop” players at another level than the Kings. They also get every bit of blood out of acquired vets. See: Marco Belinelli and Rudy Gay

August 31, 2020 2:07 pm

I was probably unclear in my wording, but in my head my B agrees with what you said.

SPTSJUNKIE
August 31, 2020 3:03 pm

I think this gets to the point though – they are better at finding guys who fit their system. I’m not wholly convinced they are masters of developing players. And even if we concede they are, they are sort of the pinnacle of the NBA – but I am not convinced that we are any worse at developing players than 90% of teams.

Even at our absolutely messiest – we saw guys like IT, Evans, and Cousins all improve while they were here. And virtually all of the busts we have drafted have been awful elsewhere. And while you might argue the first 3-4 years of a player’s career are the most influential – even guys like TRob, Nik, and Jimmer who were her for a short time flopped elsewhere.

And while it’s any theoretical here would be counterfactual – I’m curious who people would identify as players the Spurs developed who weren’t just great draft picks. I think Tony Parker, Manu, and George Hill were examples of great scouting and drafting. But the Spurs have just as many guys like James Anderson, Francisco Oberto, and Jonathan Simmons who they fit very well into their system in a hyper-specific role while surrounded by stars, but who went elsewhere and were pretty unimpressive players where it is hard to say the Spurs developed them, so much as they have been very smart about establishing a system, getting stars via great drafts / trades / signings, and then filling in with the right types of skill / character / high basketball IQ players for their system.

I am aware at some level – this is just a fun message board discussion and we could argue that development versus usage is a distinction without a difference. I think we all agree the Spurs have been a much, much better run and coached organization than we are.

But the development point has become a curiosity of mine as the Kings have invested a lot into development and I’ve noticed that when teams draft poorly their fans’ first instinct is to blame their teams’ development – when typically, they have just picked bad NBA basketball players and / or have a mess of a system.

August 31, 2020 12:11 pm
Reply to  SPTSJUNKIE

I’d say Vassell is the only prototypical 3-and-D guy there, since he’s the only guy that projects to be above average at both of those disciplines. I don’t think Nesmith is likely to ever be more than average on D, and Green the same with the 3.

SPTSJUNKIE
August 31, 2020 1:01 pm

Understand the argument for Nesmith (which is why I said some better at one aspect than another), but he’s an ace shooter who is long and has the lateral speed to be switchable.

Not sure I agree on Green though – he doesn’t project to be the scorer of a Nesmith, but he hit 36% of his threes and 78% of FTs last season as a freshman. And while I realize most people don’t have access to Synergy – he was 78% percentile for spot up, 85% percentile for catch and shoot, and 94% percentile for unguarded catch and shoot (though 17th for guarded). So long as he has a halfway decent work ethic, he should be a good three point shooter – though perhaps not running off screens or off the dribble like Nesmith and Vassell.

August 31, 2020 1:28 pm
Reply to  SPTSJUNKIE

Yeah, I just don’t really buy Green as a high level shooter. His game feel is pretty suspect so I’m not sure he’s going to be much of an NBA shooter. Perhaps limited to open C&S. Which doesn’t make a very interesting package to me.

I could obviously be very wrong. It wouldn’t be the first time.

One thing that Green goes have in spades that goes a long way with me is a high motor and he obviously cares about playing defense.

SPTSJUNKIE
August 31, 2020 1:58 pm

I mean open catch and shoot is part of being a prototypical 3-D role player.

If he could also shoot like Nesmith, he’d be a much more intriguing prospect.

August 31, 2020 2:06 pm
Reply to  SPTSJUNKIE

Sure. It’s just a lower-level version of the prototype and one that I don’t think is all that hard to find or moves the needle that much for a team like the Kings.

SPTSJUNKIE
August 31, 2020 2:50 pm

This sort of gets back to the fundamental question asked above – not that they are the same player – but you are sort of describing Anunoby who has been huge for Toronto. Adding a cheap player who can switch on the perimeter and guard 4 positions to varying degrees has value.

Not a HR, but as asset that can be accumulated and adds a new dimension to the team.

Which is why the original question is at #12, if you would choose to swing for a double and add a piece to the team and build our total assets or swing for a HR and have that 10-15% chance we add a real difference-maker, but also a much higher chance the player never really develops and their trade value plummets quickly.

August 31, 2020 2:55 pm
Reply to  SPTSJUNKIE

That a tough decision, but I think I’d swing for the fences. I really don’t think you are going to find an Anunoby type in this draft at #12. I’m thinking you get more of a Francisco Garcia type at #12. Yes he’d may be a solid role player, especially to a contending team, but to a shit team like the Kings, you need a hero.

SPTSJUNKIE
August 31, 2020 3:09 pm

It’s a great and well backed perspective. This isn’t a question with a single right answer, so I was mostly curious what the pulse was here.

I mean Denver was built through finding a HR outside of the early lottery (though at later than 12 where maybe Jokic was a good risk-adjusted pick). Ditto for the Jazz.

Boston and arguably Houston were built through accumulating assets and then flipping them for star players.

I don’t think there is a single formula, but multiple paths where I am curious what a lot of different, smart fans (and TKH writers) think.

August 31, 2020 3:18 pm
Reply to  SPTSJUNKIE

I think another wrinkle to this dilemma is who is making the pick. If it is newly hired GM with full scouting reports or Dumars doing it on the cheap.

If a new GM with a full scout team, player interviews, workouts, etc. determines to make a pick that is going to be a solid role player, I’m behind it.

If it is Dumars with a skeleton crew simply picking who they feel is BPA, I’d balk at the choice and the reasoning behind it.

Full disclosure, this is why I want a GM sooner than later.

Wonderchild
August 31, 2020 3:19 pm
Reply to  SPTSJUNKIE

I think a new trend which I don’t know is sustainable long term quite yet is having a max contract as a purely tradeable asset. Look at the contracts like Chris Paul, Wiggins, DeAngelo Russell, Westbrook. All were used to acquire other max contracts along with picks.

I mean the Clippers and Rockets look good now, but what if they don’t win a ring in the next couple years?

August 31, 2020 3:23 pm
Reply to  Wonderchild

Yeah, they have zero draft assets in eh cupboard, but they also didn’t build through the draft. It helps when you have owners who are willing to spend and GM’s with brass balls.

August 31, 2020 2:58 pm
Reply to  SPTSJUNKIE

Yeah, I’d swing for the fences. Almost always. I think Green types can be had on the cheap. For example, I’m not sure Green is a meaningfully better prospect than Cassius Stanley, who can almost certainly be had in the 2nd. And would be on a cheaper deal, thus a better trade chip if he pans out.

Oh course, in baseball, doubles aren’t really any easier to hit than HRs, sooooo…

I’ll also point at that Anunoby was a different tier of defensive prospect. He offered Green’s athleticism with enough height, length and strength to defend 4s and even many 5s at times.

Last edited 2 years ago by BestHyperboleEver
SPTSJUNKIE
August 31, 2020 3:12 pm

See above with Adamsite – not sure there is a right answers as teams have done this both directions, but your point is well made and exactly what I was curious to hear – with the caveat not to get too caught up on Green. I mean, imagine Vassell was there at #12.

He’s probably not ever going to be a star player, but he could be a high end starter. So if I guaranteed you today that Vassell would be a 10 year plus starter, but would never be better than the 3rd best player on a playoff team, whereas Player Y (let’s not get caught up on names) had a 50% chance of flopping out of the league, 30% chance of being a bench player, 10% chance of being a starter of Vassell’s quality, and 10% chance of being a star – do you still swing for a HR?

Dirkula
August 31, 2020 2:18 pm
Reply to  SPTSJUNKIE

At this point I don’t care if a guy can shoot or not. I want a guy with a high motor, toughness and who has the ability to set solid picks, pass and rebound. I’m tired of how soft our team is, we need an alpha with some grit.
Having said all that, I haven’t followed any of the prospects available this year, simply because life has been all wonky, so I don’t know if there’s anyone available who fits the mold. 🤷🏻€™‚️

eddie41
August 31, 2020 10:27 pm
Reply to  Dirkula

Take a look at Xavier Tillman. Projected 2nd rounder in mock drafts who I think will climb up the boards into the lottery.

Dirkula
September 1, 2020 3:11 pm

Nice find! Sounds exactly like a guy I’d like to see in our team;
€œDespite being undersized and lacking a jumper at this stage, his physicality, defensive acumen and impressive passing chops differentiate him from this draft’s other bigs in a meaningful way,€ according to Sports Illustrated.
Winston is picked as high as No. 28, to the Los Angeles Lakers, by NBC Sports. ESPN and has him going No. 29 to the Toronto Raptors.

€œWinston is perceived to be limited because he’s small and not the best athlete,€ according to CBS. €œHe’ll never measure or test great €” and that’ll turn some franchises away. But he’s smart, great in pick-and-roll situations and someone who has proven to be a high-level shooter in all four years of college.€

August 31, 2020 12:04 pm

If you were a tree…

SierraSpartan
Comments
Comments
August 31, 2020 12:08 pm

If we all fake the funk, will Vivek’s nose grow?

August 31, 2020 12:16 pm

It’s been over 2 weeks since Vlade and Peja left town. Why haven’t we heard any rumors or leaks from a normally rumor filled and leaky Kings franchise on who they are interviewing or are researching for the empty GM position.

August 31, 2020 12:26 pm

Tim is with me.

September 1, 2020 5:33 am

Here’s my thing – with so many unknowns, this is going to be as complex of an offseason as we’ve seen in recent NBA history. Would be nice to get the FO in place ASAP so they can start tackling it.

Jman1949
August 31, 2020 12:45 pm

Assuming Walton is indeed safe going into next season, who will Dumars (or the new GM) force on Luke as his new lead assistant? Will it be a former HC like Gentry, McMillan, Fizdale; or a younger, up-and-coming assistant from another organization?

Wonderchild
August 31, 2020 1:11 pm
Reply to  Jman1949

If I’m the new GM, I would think the only fair way to do it is to let Luke pick his own lead assistant. I mean, that’s probably the best way to show that his job is in fact safe.

Jman1949
August 31, 2020 1:20 pm
Reply to  Wonderchild

OK€”the new GM, who doesn’t get to pick his own HC right away, should be €œfair€ to Luke to make him feel safe?

Wonderchild
August 31, 2020 3:25 pm
Reply to  Jman1949

to be clear, I’m not strictly for Walton staying on as coach. But if that’s the directive, if he’s still coach, he should get to choose his lead assistant. Or at the very least be a heavy voice involved in the process.

August 31, 2020 1:24 pm

The Kings currently have 9 players under contract for next season: Fox, Barnes, Buddy, Holmes, Joseph, Bagley, Parker (PO), Nemanja (partial guarantee), and James.

Assuming they bring back a few of their free agents: Bogi, Jeffries, Giles, Guy or Len, the roster is going to be near full. Now add in the fact that they have four draft picks in the draft that will take up more roster spots.

From all that, and barring any trades, will the Kings be a player in free agency, or more importantly, should they?

02kingsfan
August 31, 2020 1:37 pm

What would it take for Walton to resign so we can save some money? Could Vivek duplicate what he did with his past 2 GMs by making the lead assistant coach more powerful than the actual head coach to force Walton to step aside? Also do we know how much money Vivek had to pay to buy out Vlade’s remaining contract?

AirmaxPG
August 31, 2020 1:37 pm

What is De’Aaron Fox’s trade value? Do you think it will ever be higher, given the fact he will likely have an extension kicking in 2021-22 around $30M/year?

My favorite trade scenario as an example: Fox, Hield, Parker to NYK for 2020 1st (#8), Ntilikina, Gibson, Portis, Robinson, and NYK 2021 unprotected 1st (which they can trade because they have Dallas’ 1st that year).

Think we can do better, or is that asking too much? (Just using that trade as a starting point for discussion).

August 31, 2020 1:43 pm
Reply to  AirmaxPG

I think IF they went that way, we could probably get a bit more. That said, I’m not all that interested in having two lottery picks in this draft. I’d much rather add the #27 (I think) in this draft PLUS another in one of the next few drafts. Or do yours and immediately start looking to move #8 and/or #12 in another deal.

AirmaxPG
August 31, 2020 2:04 pm

Yeah I’m thinking if Halliburton is there at 8, I keep the pick.

August 31, 2020 2:12 pm
Reply to  AirmaxPG

Admittingly, I have a small crush on Haliburton, so if I were GMing the Kings and Haliburton is there at #8, I’m calling up the Knicks and dangling Fox, but would also insist on their 2021 pick. Structure the package however you want from there.

AirmaxPG
August 31, 2020 2:13 pm

Yep the 2021 is a must have in any Fox deal.

August 31, 2020 1:57 pm
Reply to  AirmaxPG

I think the Knicks are about the only team with the interest and possible assets to swing a Fox trade. It would begin and end with their unprotected 2021 pick as an inclusion. I’d insists on Ntilikina, Robinson and possibly Randle as being part of the package.

All that being said, it has about a 1% chance of happening. I don’t think either team makes that trade.

AirmaxPG
August 31, 2020 2:07 pm

I think if a smart GM comes in, they might see that this team really doesn’t have much of a ceiling. So we will be wasting prime years of good players to stay in NBA purgatory.

But yeah, the chances of a forward-thinking GM coming to this shitshow with Luke Walton promised another year are slim.

August 31, 2020 2:16 pm

I’d rather have expiring than Randle but that conversation isn’t really what would make or break the deal for me.

August 31, 2020 2:21 pm

I just kind of like Randle’s game. I’d start him with Robinson in that hypothetical trade, then surround them with shooters.

August 31, 2020 2:26 pm

A couple of those shooters better be extremely high level playmakers.

August 31, 2020 2:30 pm

That’s where I’d hope Haliburton is there at #8 and you also get him. But also keep in mind, it’s not about winning next season. It’s letting the GM evaluate the team and using that NY pick in 2021. Kings may get two top 5 picks in 2021. Their own and NY’s

AirmaxPG
August 31, 2020 2:33 pm

That would just be insane. And it’s possibly right there for the taking.

August 31, 2020 2:34 pm

But in that case, what is Randle doing for you? Aside from being an expiring in 2021-2022? Wouldn’t you rather have that expiring this season for the incoming GM to work with?

August 31, 2020 2:39 pm

Solid point.

AirmaxPG
August 31, 2020 2:32 pm

I could see them wanting to include Randle because they would want free agent capital in 2021. But I’d rather not include him if I’m the Kings.

9sac8
August 31, 2020 1:54 pm

I read somewhere. It may have been hypothetical, but decent read. GS #2 pick for Bagley and our 12th pick. 🤔🤔🤔

Edwards????

Fox with Bogi (for now) and Edwards on the wing. The league is getting smaller. That doesn’t sound too bad.

August 31, 2020 2:00 pm
Reply to  9sac8

If I were the Warriors I’d call up the Knicks with a straight pick swap. Golden States #2 this year for the Knicks 2021 pick next year. Knicks would draft Ball and the Warriors get to kick the asset can down the road a year. Just think…they’d have Minny’s pick, NY’s pick and Wiggins to dangle for a superstar. You just know they’d be calling the Bucks if Milwaukee doesn’t win it all this year.

August 31, 2020 2:03 pm

I wouldn’t be surprised if they could get Robinson in that swap as well. Who could suit them pretty well.

August 31, 2020 2:07 pm

Hell yeah it would. I could see them swindling the Knicks like that. Warriors could throw in one of their own future firsts to sweeten the deal.

AirmaxPG
August 31, 2020 2:11 pm

Man if the Warriors do that, I just give up. All the success of the Dubs, and then they get another franchise talent like Cade Cunningham. Just stop it already.

August 31, 2020 2:17 pm
Reply to  AirmaxPG

I think their window is closing with Curry, Klay and Green. I think they’d use those two 2021 lotto picks next year (I fully expect Minny and the Knicks to be in the lotto) and Wiggins contract to land a star in a trade. They’d then be a lock for another title next season.

August 31, 2020 2:32 pm

I think it will be really interesting to see exactly where they end up deciding to go on the spectrum from “Win a ring now” to “stay in the contender conversation for the next decade.”

I’d be really interested to see if they try to split the middle by using anything OTHER than the MIN pick to try to improve their team as much as possible now.

August 31, 2020 2:38 pm

I’m also scared they may use that Minny pick and Green to land someone like Myles Turner.

August 31, 2020 2:43 pm

I bet they could get Turner and still hold on to that MIN pick. #2 + Wiggins + a couple future GSW picks may do it.

On the other ha…Oh shit, they’re going to acquire Oladipo on the cheap, aren’t they?

Yep, they’re going to trade #2 for #8 + Robinson. Then flip #8 + Future GSW 1st + Wiggins for Oladipo.

And STILL have the MIN pick

Last edited 2 years ago by BestHyperboleEver
August 31, 2020 2:47 pm

Shhhhhh! Stop giving them ideas. There may be spies among us!

They really can do some damage in trade with that #2 and Minny’s pick. Must be nice to have those kind of assets AND all that talent.

August 31, 2020 2:54 pm

I think the most terrifying possibility is if they’re somehow able to acquire Simmons without giving up the MIN pick. Like Draymond + Wiggins + 2020 #2 + 2021 GSW 1st + 2023 GSW 1st for Simmons + Horford.

Curry, Klay, _______, Simmons, Horford is one hell of a start. A decent 3-and-D guy in that empty space makes for a title favorite.

August 31, 2020 2:57 pm

I don’t really know why, but I’m not a fan of Simmons on the Warriors. They run on a system of shooters with Curry threading the needle. How would Simmons work for them? Would they be running Curry off the ball?

August 31, 2020 3:11 pm

He’s basically a better, younger, higher upside Draymond. He’s a DPOY level 1-5 defender who’s a plus passer and rebounder. And that’s assuming he never starts shooting at all.

August 31, 2020 3:15 pm

Ahhh, that makes sense. Thanks for that clarification.

Wonderchild
August 31, 2020 3:22 pm

plus, Draymond and Embiid on the same team is must see TV.

AirmaxPG
August 31, 2020 2:54 pm

Curry, Klay, Dipo, Green, & Robinson. Plus getting rid of Wiggins and a likely top 10 pick next year. Man, that team could be on their way to another title or two and playoffs for another 5-7 years.

AirmaxPG
August 31, 2020 2:36 pm

I could see Curry and Klay being productive for another 5 years. Draymond maybe not as much.

August 31, 2020 2:38 pm
Reply to  AirmaxPG

I can see it, but they probably shouldn’t plan on it.

August 31, 2020 2:45 pm
Reply to  AirmaxPG

I think maybe 3 years. Curry and Klay are on the wrong side of 30 (Curry turns 33 next season) and have a lot of miles on those legs. They’d have their shooting, but if they lose a step…

AirmaxPG
August 31, 2020 3:36 pm

Very true.

Gregoryl
August 31, 2020 2:08 pm

If Bagley is a bust, and Doncic continues to be a superstar, possible HOF, etc., Vlade’s rep in Sacramento will be the guy who passed on Luka, right??

Marty
August 31, 2020 2:20 pm
Reply to  Gregoryl

€will be€?

cloudyeyes
Comments
Comments
August 31, 2020 9:24 pm
Reply to  Gregoryl

already is

Last edited 2 years ago by cloudyeyes
August 31, 2020 9:47 pm
Reply to  cloudyeyes

They’re only superficially similar. As you mention, LaMelo doesn’t have the polish or technique. They both have elite vision but LaMelo struggles with decision making. And LaMelo hasn’t had anything approaching the high level success Luka had. And the degree to which their 3pt shooting is was questionable wasn’t especially close.

LaMelo is Luka with a lifetime of bad coaching..

Gregoryl
August 31, 2020 2:10 pm

How much is there to the rumors about Bagley’s shoes being a factor in his injury history?

Marty
August 31, 2020 2:18 pm

With this year’s ballroom playoffs being a regular Who’s Who of ex-Kings, which current King is a lock to be starring in the playoffs next year for another team?

August 31, 2020 2:20 pm

Hield and/or Bogdan are probably the easy favorites.