Articles | Breaking News | Free Agency

Sacramento Kings and De’Aaron Fox agree to max extension, per report

The Kings moved quickly to lock up their young star.

The Sacramento Kings and De'Aaron Fox have agreed to a five-year extension worth $163 million, according to The Athletic's Shams Charania.

Shams reports that the deal includes clauses that can make the deal worth a total of $195.6 million, which would be the rookie super max.

Regardless of the numbers, this is a win for the Kings. Fox is one of the few home-grown successes on the roster and the Kings locked him up quickly. Our own Tim Maxwell previously explained why a max contract for Fox is a no-brainer.

Teams are allowed to give a designated rookie extension of five years (instead of the standard four) to only two players on the roster at any given time. Fox is the only Kings player currently on a 5 year extension.

This extension secures Fox as the Kings point guard of the future. As free agency continues we will wait to see who will be alongside Fox and Tyrese Haliburton this coming season.

Update: Bobby Marks has given us a breakdown on the specifics of how Fox’s contract will look.

Tunel_21
13 days ago

But can he play small forward?

Just kidding! I’m really happy for him. I feel like he’s going to hit a new level this season.

Last edited 13 days ago by Tunel_21
Reply to  Tunel_21

“But can he play small forward?”
OMG – the feels, the hilarity, the warm blanket nostalgia of it all.
I love my fellow fans.

13 days ago

They should have worked harder to get him more money, that’s the only problem I can see.

13 days ago

Imagine strolling in to work some afternoon, and signing a piece of paper that bumped your net worth to nine figures. Swipa for real.

13 days ago

I’m happy when I find a dime on the floor.

ForKingsandCountry
13 days ago

That’s a lot of money but this makes sense and I like watching him play. Now fire the coach so we actually move forward.

Alright!!!

13 days ago

My wife is going to be very happy about this (I think she thinks that De’Aaron is really Bruno Mars).

13 days ago

I would be very surprised if making 160 million would be exciting news for Bruno Mars at this point, but I’m probably cynical in that regard.

12 days ago

Looking forward to the day that De’Aaron has his team in sync like Bruno’s Hooligans.

RAP87
13 days ago

Congrats De’aaron! Continue working on your game and prove to us that you deserved that contract..

As for Mcnair and the Kings, they are on the clock to try and build a winning team around Fox. I’d say they have atleast 3 years to do it before Fox or the Kings decides its time to move on and get some assets in return.

rockbottom
Reply to  RAP87

Hope it’s sooner than that or Golden One will be half full and franchise in more turmoil !

comment image?itemid=9087119

Hd13

Idk I think we overpaid. I would think more 4/100 as sufficient

Reply to  Hd13

That’s what the kings too would’ve paid.. if he was 28.

Kangz_Landing
Reply to  Hd13

If Bagley actually stays on the court and averages a double double, I’m guessing this is what he will get next year.

SirPatricio
Reply to  Kangz_Landing

with all the injuries in his young career man i do hope so. i really like that kid, he’s a baller it’s just unfortunate that he happens to get injured frequently.

ajonez81
13 days ago

Shouldn’t his yearly salary start really high in year 1 and decrease from there so we can suck for a couple years and then have more cap space after that?

That is my main issue with the deal. That and of course the fact that a dude who doesn’t shoot threes all that well or get a ton of assists is somehow our franchise player. He could be, we’ll see. I’m cool with it, except for how yearly salaries are structured.

Reply to  ajonez81

Can’t do that. It’s impossible to have max deals be front loaded.

NinjaFetus
13 days ago

Congrats to De’Aaron! He’s going to make one of the teams, it’s just a matter of time.

Also a good sign that the face of our franchise signs pretty quickly on day 1 of FA!

nonstripedzebra
13 days ago

Congrats to Fox. He has proven as much and done so with class. I have had my doubts at points, but there is no denying he has been the best this franchise has had to offer for awhile. And one of the most self aware players in improving his deficiencies. And well done by McNair to grant some assurance in the most important place at present.

That said, this has been the looming moment to which this team has to get serious. The clock is ticking now to improve, yet not be short sided. Hoping for the best.

Last edited 13 days ago by nonstripedzebra
trackback

[…] 🦊Breaking News: Kings and De'Aaron Fox agree to max extension🦊 […]

HumboldtCPA
13 days ago

I’m happy with this. I was getting a bit worried on what the hell we were doing today. I’m in the keep BB8 and trade buddy group. We’ll see what happens.

KevinSalvadori
13 days ago

Great news. A respectable, standard move for a player of his age and talent. What I like most: no haggling with agents in public (Hield), no feigned emotional attachment for a big letdown (Thomas), no aggrandizing your plans for the player in the future while reneging a huge offer you said was a “no-brainer” (Cousins). This was a standard transaction, free from BS, as it should be. Thank heavens.

Reply to  KevinSalvadori

Yeah, no drama or fuss. Just getting it done quickly and quietly.
That is encouraging.

HoustonJP
13 days ago

Good on him. A great guy.

ArcoThunder

You’re awesome DeAaron, now go be awesome. SO HAPPY

Mike120
13 days ago

Good for Fox. He is our cornerstone now and for the future. Happy for him. I like that it was done quietly. Gotta pay for top level talent and that’s what he will be during this next 5 years.

SirPatricio
13 days ago

well deserved! i was on the edge earlier today reading the news of the heat’s eagerness to team him up with bam. this is a great move ny monte and company, deaaron needs to be paid

Mike120
12 days ago

I think it was the haircut. He got a big boy haircut, then a big boy paycheck. I’m always trying to convince my 21 year old the same thing! Clean cut for the win.

trackback

[…] McNair made it clear that a big goal, aside from maxing out De’Aaron Fox, was maintaining financial flexibility so he is able to make a big deal down the road should it […]

trackback

[…] Sacramento Kings first order of business in free agency was to lock down De'Aaron Fox to a 5-year max extension. Fox is undoubtedly the Kings best player, and the player that Monte McNair will build around in […]

Patreon Supporter    Registered On Day 1    Published Post  Published Post Nostradumbass