Articles | Latest News

Richaun Holmes’ custody case is resolved, per report

Holmes was awarded full custody of his son.

Sacramento Kings center had been embroiled in an ugly custody battle over his six-year old son, which included allegations of domestic violence against Holmes. That case now appears to be resolved, with a ruling in Richaun Holmes' favor:

The Sacramento Bee has a more extensive report on the situation as well. I don't want to dig into the specific he-said-she-saids of a custody battle, but this seems to be a rather definitive ruling in Holmes' favor by courts in both Los Angeles and Georgia.

Ultimately, my thoughts are with Richaun's son. It sounds like he's been through a lot, and I just hope he is ok.

I'll ask that the comment section remain civil as well.

oswan88
May 10, 2022 3:35 pm

Wouldn’t want any kid to experience this but glad things worked in Richaun’s favor.

May 10, 2022 3:37 pm

I’m sorry the son had to go through this. I’m glad it appears things are resolved now.

May 10, 2022 9:46 pm

This!

ArsLegendi
May 10, 2022 3:37 pm

Keeping that poor kid in my thoughts.

This casts another stark light on that gross Sac Bee opinion piece that dropped less than a day after the initial reports.

NinjaFetus
May 10, 2022 4:26 pm
Reply to  ArsLegendi

Just read the Bee article Greg linked. Sounds like an absolutely awful situation for the kid. Hopefully the kid will get some counselling or treatment to deal with this at some point. Appears the court twice over thought Richaun was a much better choice to raise him than the mother. Which is why it is so important that the facts of a case or situation need to come out or be litigated before people post half baked opinions as facts.

Hippity_Hop_Barbershop
May 11, 2022 8:17 am
Reply to  NinjaFetus

As a friend of a Dad who had to fight every inch of a custody battle, the deck is unfortunately stacked against the father in these situations both in actual court and the court of public opinion. For Richaun to be awarded sole legal and physical is very telling. Glad it’s over, for now, for the kiddo and Richaun.

TheGrantNapear
May 10, 2022 5:34 pm
Reply to  ArsLegendi

Sac Bee has been a joke for quite some time.

LLTKings
May 10, 2022 4:03 pm

By all indications, Richaun is good man raised by good parents. I am happy that he won. This battle in this court was far more important than any battle on any NBA court.

rockbottom
May 10, 2022 4:14 pm

Great for Holmes and will be waiting for the Sac Bee’s opinion writer apology . ( will never happen ). The Guilty until proven Innocent mob should be ashamed !

TheGrantNapear
May 10, 2022 5:36 pm
Reply to  rockbottom

You won’t get an apology from the Bee or the commenters here that were talking sh!t about Richaun. As Mr. Sims would say, the receipts are there.

Bluejohn
May 10, 2022 5:05 pm

I don’t read the Bee but I was sickened by the posters here who took a “where there’s smoke there’s fire” attitude and were more than willing to throw Richaun under the bus in a sanctimonious rush to judgement

Carl
May 10, 2022 5:19 pm
Reply to  Bluejohn

Richaun certainly seems to be vindicated here, and I’m very happy for him, his family and most importantly for his son, who everyone would agree should be in the best possible situation.

I’m no less sickened by people who hear a story about a woman or child being beaten and assume that they must be lying or the potential abuser deserves sympathy because the courts will inevitably determine and rule on the truth, which does not happen in anything like a majority of actual cases of domestic violence.

Last edited 8 days ago by Carl
ArsLegendi
May 10, 2022 5:23 pm
Reply to  Carl

Yeah. I always take a “trust but verify” approach to stuff like this, because common sense and the numbers clearly indicate that people who lie about being victims are an extreme outlier.

But in this particular case, the initial reports were already very ambiguous and light on details, and yet that Bee op-ed leaned very hard into creating a narrative that seemed unsubstantiated even at the time. It was gross.

But anyway, yeah. This whole situation sucks.

Last edited 8 days ago by ArsLegendi
Daydreamer
May 10, 2022 7:12 pm
Reply to  Carl

I was one person who was taken in by the earlier Bee piece that cast Richaun in a bad light. While I acknowledged that we had no basis to judge the facts in this case, I also wrote that I found the Bee article and the boy’s mother’s accusations very believable and warned of being influenced by our love of Richaun’s play. I also observed that accusations of domestic violence are often denied even when true.

I am glad the case was resolved, and, like everyone else, I wish the best for the boy.

Do I regret what I wrote? Yes, I wish I had laid greater emphasis on our ignorance of the facts, as others did. I apologize.