[Editor's Note: In honor of the Kings missing the vast majority of their rotational players tonight and having to sign Justin Robinson to a hardship exception, we have sent Tim to similar health and safety protocols (overindulged in raisins and yogurt pie), and we have signed his wife, Tori, to a hardship exception. These are her honest, unedited thoughts about tonight's game.]
First of all, let me just say that I am honored to be spending my Friday evening doing this. As a busy stay-at-home mom, I can't think of anything else I'd rather be doing; what a productive use of my time. Happy Bday Buddy! Oh, and Kayte came to slay with her high and tight pony and red blazer, I see.
First Quarter Thoughts:
- My prediction: Kings win 100-89.
- This feels like it's going to be a strong first half and inevitable tank in the second.
- We're shooting well early. I don't think it's going to hold.
- In my mind, I'm still stuck in the Isaiah Thomas/DeMarcus Cousins era of the Kings because that's when I paid most attention to the team and went to the games. And I have a Boogie jersey!
- It's okay to run a play and not shoot a three. I think that would be fun to see.
- OKAY, Tyrese can break ankles.
- I feel like the Grizzlies are going to let us goof around until they take the game seriously and blow us out.
- Has anyone tried hanging a "believe" sign in the locker room?
Second Quarter Thoughts:
- Haliburton is *chef's kiss* (I also get the vibe that he respects women).
- Kayte likes the word gritty.
- LIVE BALL TURNOVERS.
- How do we respond to a 13-0 Grizzlies run? Toss the ball into the crowd and continue our LIVE BALL TURNOVERS.
- Haliburton shouldn't be number zero because he is a HERO.
- Going into halftime with a lead was too much of an ask. BABY STEPS.
- We didn't even wait until the third quarter to lose our grip on the game.
Third Quarter Thoughts
- The Grizzlies are making a run and visible panic is setting in.
- The Kings are bricking every shot. The players may change, but the strategy stays the same.
4th Quarter Thoughts
- This has better a game than I expected.
- Never mind.
- It was clear from the beginning that this squad would eventually get outpaced. (This is the first game I've watched all season, so I know what to look for, clearly )
- ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ (Tori fell asleep for most of the fourth quarter)
- Everyone played hard, which I can respect, even if it wasn't a win.
Pizza Guy of the Game (I told Tim this should be a regular thing and he laughed at me): Tyrese Haliburton with 21 points, 6 rebounds, and 10 assists on 53% shooting from the field and 60% from deep.
That first half was as fun as any half this year!
The second half collapse made it seem for a moment as if none of the starters were missing.
Gotta uphold the sacred 3rd quarter tradition.
Nice to know the squad elders are teaching the old ways to the younger generation.
The halftime had me dizzy!
The NBA got their game.
Tyrese didn’t aggravate his back injury, it seems.
I wish Monte had kept the pick and drafted Tillmann over Woodard, but whatever.
Are we still in the 10th spot?
Also, unlike the Kings, TKH didn’t miss a beat with that baby giraffe guy out.
Tori gets my vote for
Pizza GuyYoghurt Pie Person of the game! With raisins.
Love the Tori edition of the recap!
Nobody else is commenting?
Fair weather fans! Only showing up when all our starters are getting blown out.
Some of us have better things to watch, like Spider-Man.
well, go root for the Utah Jazz then!
I watched IT play against the T wolves. He looks good. L#*kers pick him up after his first g league game.
Kangz lose his phone number while all of their players were not available?
IT was Fakers leading scorer and looked good ! Too good to not be on a roster and playing big minutes ! Says his hip finally feels normal !
He definitely looked like he was ready.
I vote for more Tori recaps.
Kings could have been the Grizz, if only they knew how to do a proper rebuild. And, wow, Dillon Brooks comes across as an awful
He sure does and exactly what the Kings need but don’t have ! A tough no nonsense competitor !
What makes you think that
The guy complains about every call, yaps after every shot he makes, etc.. much more so than anyone else on the court.
That was a genuinely funny and fun recap. Great work Tori! I’d love for this to be an ongoing thing, and it could supplement the regular recaps so folks still get their “serious” (aka angry and bitter) itch scratched.
Why does Metu think he is an offensive juggernaut? Dude gets the ball and says “it’s Metu time!” and either takes a bad shot or drives and does some acrobatic nonsense at the rim.
If somebody could tell these guys to not reach on every defensive position and just play with their hands up that would be great
Maybe someone like Doug Christie?
Honestly, I almost trust Metu in the Buddy-chucker role more than Buddy!
I kind of passively watched the game while doing other stuff, but from what I saw and looking at the boxscore, I think Hali may be just fine running point for this team going forward. Fox and filler for a legit star is what this team needs. Give me Simmons, Ingram, or Brown please. Pretty please?
Trade Fox. Rese is the captain now!
Hali walking into Monte’s office this morning:
Damn. Looks like Hali has bulked up.
Fox is an individual scorer. He is not going to be a point guard that leads an offense.
He’s a 2-guard. Not every 2-guard has a great outside shot; some are slashers.
His outside shot doesn’t have anything to do with him leading an offense. He is not a point guard that will create for his team and lead.
If you know Fox doesn’t contribute to winning, other Gms do too
monte is now faced with trading him for low value or not trading him
a big maybe is Simmons if the sixers truly aren’t getting any deals
Getting tired of Ramsey looking like a complete scrub in the nba after summer league, and Metu inefficiency
Goes to show that summer league means nothing.
Right now Bagley, having accepted coaching, uses his minutes more efficiently, is no longer an offensive black hole. Why did it take him so long for him to learn to “let the game come to him?”
Monte should already have a relationship with House. I wonder if he’d take a 10-day hardship contract right now.
Sit at home not getting paid or play for the Kangz?
Not sure many players need money that bad?