Articles | NBA Draft | Podcasts

Kings Pulse: Final Mock 2020 NBA Draft w/ Bryant West

We did our final mock draft podcast with Bryant West before the actual selections take place on Wednesday!

We have been doing draft coverage for months now at Kings Pulse, and have profiled over 60 prospects in the 2020 NBA Draft.

With the draft just days away, we did one final mock with Bryant West where we alternated picks (Rich 1, Brenden 2, Bryant 3). For the sake of this recording, we did not allow any trades to take place.

Give the pod a listen for our reasoning, but here are the results:

1. Minnesota Timberwolves - LaMelo Ball

2. Golden State Warriors - James Wiseman

3. Charlotte Hornets - Anthony Edwards

4. Chicago Bulls - Killian Hayes

5. Cleveland Cavalier - Isaac Okoro

6. Atlanta Hawks - Devin Vassell

7. Detroit Pistons - Tyrese Haliburton

8. New York Knicks - Deni Avdija

9. Washington Wizards - Onyeka Okongwu

10. Phoenix Suns - Patrick Williams

11. San Antonio Spurs - Aleksej Pokusevski

12. Sacramento Kings - Tyrese Maxey

13. New Orleans Pelicans - Cole Anthony

14. Boston Celtics - Obi Toppin

15. Orlando Magic - Kira Lewis Jr.

16. Portland Trail Blazers - Saddiq Bey

47. Boston Celtics - Daniel Oturu

48. Golden State Warriors - Cassius Winston

49. Philadelphia 76ers - Paul Reed

50. Atlanta Hawks - Ty-Shon Alexander

51. Golden State Warriors - Myles Powell

52. Sacramento Kings - Jalen Harris

53. Oklahoma City Thunder - Vernon Carey Jr.

54. Indiana Pacers - Reggie Perry

55. Brooklyn Nets - Mason Jones

56. Charlotte Hornets - Markus Howard

57. LA Clippers - Lamine Diane

58. Philadelphia 76ers - CJ Elleby

59. Toronto Raptors - Kaleb Wesson

60. New Orleans Pelicans - Yam Madar

MakeThePlayoffs
16 days ago

Hello Kings Herald! I was a long-time lurker on SacTown Royalty, and I’ve followed this site since Day 1 but on-and-off since the Kings missed the playoffs (because of the lockdown forcing the Bubble and the Kings choking in the bubble (and this season in general)).
Hello Everybody!

BTW, does this site allow posts by users? And a mobile app? Sorry, I’ve never posted before on here!

Greg
Admin
16 days ago

Welcome! We don’t have a specific section for Fan Posts, but there is a Reader Submissions button at the top. We won’t publish everything that is submitted (submissions are reviewed for content, clarity, etc), but we are open to submissions.

We do not have a mobile app, but the site should be mobile friendly for the most part.

MakeThePlayoffs
Reply to  Greg

Thanks for the info! So, do you have to enter a real name in the Reader Submissions form? I don’t want to reveal my real name out in the open.

Also, a mobile app would be nice but the web verison seems good for mobile, but I’m on desktop for now!

aplumley
16 days ago

I do not see any way Obi Toppin falls to 14. Interesting that Poku is projected at 11.

I think what this Mock points out most of all, is that this is the most unpredictable draft I can ever remember.

Reply to  aplumley

this is the most unpredictable draft I can ever remember.

Yup.

MakeThePlayoffs
Reply to  aplumley

Even without covid, this draft was wack!

richie88
Reply to  aplumley

this is the most unpredictable draft I can ever remember.

I think the only other contender for the most unpredictable draft was the 2013 draft.

Dirkula
Reply to  aplumley

Agreed, and personally, I’d prefer Toppin to Maxey, if they’re both available at 12

kgdobter
Reply to  aplumley

I hope Poku slips to us at 12. IMO he is a top 5 player.

16 days ago

Yam Madar as Mr Irrelevant? He may surprise people. Relentless on-ball defender.

Thanks!

Also, I really hope you’re wrong!

The Kings drafting an undersized Combo Guard and an under-sized PG as their two first picks doesn’t seem like a great approach to me.

If the top of the draft turns out the way we see here, I’d be hoping like hell that somebody would be desperate to move up to draft Toppin.

Again, my hottest take for this draft is that Quickly is going to be the best pro out of the Kentucky guards.

Last edited 16 days ago by BestHyperboleEver
richie88
16 days ago

Maxey? Ew. I really hope he isn’t the guy the Kings pick. I think there’s a strong possibility that his poor offense will negate his great defense.

Last edited 16 days ago by richie88
eddie41
16 days ago

Heard Payton Pritchard has a 1st round promise. You guys forgot about him.

IvanowskiNBA
Member
16 days ago

We did not forget. None of us like him as a prospect.

eddie41
16 days ago

should supply and demand factor into #12 here? I’m looking at all the PGs and the possibility of getting one in the 2nd round. (You have Jalen Harris dropping to 52 even). How much more does Maxey offer than the others?

16 days ago

it’s a mock draft based on what 3 people would do if they were the GM for various teams. I don’t think he can infer much other than the preference of the people drafting when their pick came up.

16 days ago

Blind guess is that no team bases its lottery pick off of who might be available in the 2nd round.

eddie41
16 days ago

I think I was about 10 years old when I learned that, drafting teams for apba baseball. A good hitting shortstop gets drafted before an outfielder with the same stats because there was less supply of good hitting shortstops. Grade “A” starting pitchers, only a few of them in the deck of cards, therefore always top picks. Supply and demand. Uniqueness matters. How much does one player stand out over the average player at his position. Therefore if you draft a point guard at #12, you should be able to identify what that player can do which the other 20 PGs in this year’s draft alone cannot do. It’s an honest and valid question.

16 days ago

My guess is that the T-Wolves will not alter their #1 pick thinking based on what may be available at 33.

My guess is that the Hornets will not alter their #3 pick thinking based on what may be available at 32.

Lather, rinse, repeat for the Dubs (2, 48), Kincks (8, 38), Bulls (4, 44), Pels (13, 39), Celtics (14, 47), Hawks (6, 50), Kings (12, 35), Wizards (9, 37), Spurs (11, 41).

I can’t speak to APBA baseball, but if I go back and look at the aggregate of 2nd rounds over the past decade, core rotation players are the small percentage exception and not the rule. I just can’t envision – or come up with examples – of teams deferring what they do with their lottery pick based on what they perceive is some sort of positional gold rush in the second round. Your mileage may vary.

16 days ago

I think scarcity absolutely players a role. It just doesn’t really play a role within a single draft. Because, ultimately, these teams aren’t actually competing to win a single draft and unlike APBA, they aren’t drafting a full team from the full set of NBA players. So yes, for example, the scarcity of wing initiators, or unicorns, in the NBA will push those guys up the draft board. But the same forces don’t really work within the confines of a single draft.

eddie41
16 days ago

Solely focusing on this year’s draft is more to illustrate the point. If you expand the pool of players to the entire nba, the question would be not only what separates him from the other 20 PGs in this year’s draft, but also from all the other PGs in the league. Where does he fit on the bell curve of PGs? If he is above average, and if so by how much? How easy or difficult or costly or economical is it to acquire a similar PG? And I realize the stats tell more in baseball than basketball, but the concept of supply and demand applies equally.

16 days ago

Again, I just can’t envision – or come up with examples – of teams deferring what they do with their lottery pick based on what they perceive is some sort of positional gold rush in the second round. Your mileage may vary.

eddie41
16 days ago

It’s not a gold rush. It’s a cornfield.

eddie41
16 days ago

Utah just traded down 4 spots (23 to 27) to acquire the #38 pick.

Is 23 a lottery pick?

I’m open to your theory. Show your work, and apba does not count. Give me enough solid examples of an NBA team deferring who they spend their lottery pick on due to who they know will be there when they draft in the 2nd round and I’ll be convinced. Otherwise, I’m sticking with my notion that NBA teams do not let their 2nds round picks influence who they take in the lottery.

I do think that lottery teams frequently determine that they are enamored of no one in particular and ultimately trade down for more picks. That is an entirely different animal than passing on (say) Kira Lewis or Killian Hayes or whoever because you are convinced that (say) Payton Pritchard is (a) at the same level and (b) you are the only front office brilliant enough to realize that and are that confident that he will be there in the 2nd round.

Last edited 16 days ago by RobHessing
ArcoThunder
16 days ago

I really want Bolmaro!!!!

If the Kings can get him at 35 then they win this draft.

Patreon Supporter    Registered On Day 1    Published Post  Published Post Nostradumbass