Articles | League News

Around The Realm: Boston Celtics trade Kemba Walker for Al Horford

The NBA's crazy week continues.

The NBA's crazy week (we didn't even do a post yesterday about Rick Carlisle's shocking exit from the Mavericks) continued early Friday morning as the Boston Celtics traded Kemba Walker and the 16th pick in this year's draft to the Oklahoma City Thunder for Al Horford. The trade also sends Moses Brown to Boston, and each side included a second round pick.

ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski broke the news:

Brad Stevens first move as Boston's main man was a big one, and gets the Celtics off of some of Kemba's long-term money. This type of trade is quickly becoming the norm for the Thunder, who are perfectly willing to take on an expensive star in return for draft assets, and then later flip that player for other draft assets.

Kemba Walker has been hampered by injuries since arriving in Boston and is owed $36 million this upcoming season, with a $37 million player option the next year. Horford is owed $27 million next year and $26.5 million the next, so this move definitely saves the Celtics some money. Despite already being 35 years old (36 next season), Horford was productive enough that the Thunder had to shut him down to help their tanking effort.

TheGrantNapear
June 18, 2021 8:00 am

OKC continues to stack assets whilst the Kangz sit back and do nothing.
Not that we have a Horford, but these are the type of trades we should be making. OKC gets a first round pick and will eventually flip Kemba in return for further assets, especially if Kemba can get healthy.

June 18, 2021 8:03 am

Wow, I can’t recall a trade that big between the end of the season and the draft. I feel like we normally don’t see this kind of deal until draft day.

I still feel it is a bit for Boston to give up, unless they really know Kemba is just done.

TheGrantNapear
June 18, 2021 8:04 am

My first thought as well, the timing of the trade is odd as hell.

Bbmuteman
June 18, 2021 11:17 am

Celticsblog commenters explained that the trade had to happen this season because during the offseason, kemba gets a 15% trade kicker and would count more heavily against okc’s cap.

TheGrantNapear
June 18, 2021 8:06 am

OT.
Article on the 2018 draft having to do with Young and Ayton.

A quote from the article:
“I don’t want to discredit Ayton,” the scout said. “But if he was in Sacramento, he would not be like this.”

Lol, Kangz.

SneakerKing
June 18, 2021 10:52 am
Reply to  TheGrantNapear

Very scary to see. Makes me wonder if the overall opinion amongst a lot of the agents and players in the league is that going to Sac would hurt guys because we have zero clue how to develop players? We have not cultivated any kind of environment or system to allow players to grow and develop their games.

Carl
June 18, 2021 4:03 pm
Reply to  SneakerKing

And we haven’t improved a millimeter in years, other than the idiot coach apparently being buddies with the players.

Last edited 1 month ago by Carl
BasketballHella
June 19, 2021 2:37 am
Reply to  SneakerKing

Have a friend who worked for a sports agency for a few years after he got out of law school. The shit he would tell me about my favorite sports teams shocked me….until he got to the kings. It’s pretty much how we perceive them here except they aren’t fans at all.

Bad evaluating unless you’re trying to “hide a guy”.

Last podcast of Sam Veciene he even went into it a little. Didn’t call the kings out by name but made mention of how there are “a couple teams” and one in particular that is easy to distract with pre draft workouts to show only the best side of that player. His guest on thag podcast even dropped the, “ like a wicked second jump” haha.

Its beyond embarrassing but true. The only team that consistently spends draft capital on players who are out of the league within 5 years.

ScottyPop
June 18, 2021 8:07 am

Anybody out there doubt OKC makes the playoffs again before us?

Stacking draft assets. Now that’s a proper rebuild strategy that has a high chance of success.

Meanwhile, in kAnGz land, “let’s get that 10 seed!”

June 18, 2021 8:15 am
Reply to  ScottyPop

I now think there is a very good chance the Kings trade the #9 to OKC for the #16 and #18, then trade the #18 back for two 2nd rounders. kAnGz!

TheGrantNapear
June 18, 2021 8:23 am

Reminds me of Vlade trading 10 for 15 and 20 to draft JJ and Giles when he could’ve stayed put and drafted Spida Mitchell.

June 18, 2021 9:28 am
Reply to  TheGrantNapear

Hindsight wisdom of this kind is boring and pointless. Three other teams from 10-12 didn’t see fit to draft Mitchell, either. Hell, everyone that didn’t get Tatum or Fox also took a pass on him.

WizsSox
June 18, 2021 9:33 am

Yeah I remember liking the results overall that draft night. Remember kind of wanting monk after they got Fox, but loved the swing on Giles with the extra pick. Didn’t work. Sure some were against, but many praised the move.

June 18, 2021 9:52 am
Reply to  WizsSox

It’s kind of depressing to think of how Giles and Jackson may be out of the NBA while every player picked between 10 and 14 (Collins, Monk, Kenard, Mitchell, and Adebayo) are still playing and contributing.

AmateurNerd
June 18, 2021 10:55 am

Hmm, what’s the common denominator there…. Oh yeah! KANGZ, that’s what!

Last edited 1 month ago by AmateurNerd
Bbmuteman
June 18, 2021 11:21 am

In fairness, zach collins will probably be out of the league too. I can’t remember a time when he isn’t hurt.

Carl
June 18, 2021 4:06 pm
Reply to  Bbmuteman

Collins has played 154 games in three seasons. Bagley has played 118.

MillersCornrows
June 18, 2021 2:57 pm

But hindsight is boring and pointless….

June 18, 2021 10:08 am
Reply to  WizsSox

Before the draft, I was pushing acquiring a late-1st to take Giles. Though I was think about acquiring that pick a different way. I like the idea of high-upside lottery tickets after having already made a safer pick or two.

TheGrantNapear
June 18, 2021 9:46 am

Loaded draft, picks 11-14 were Monk, Kennard, Mitchell and Bam. Instead of drafting one of these guys Vlade drafts JJ who clearly doesn’t have the athleticism to be an NBA player and a guy in Giles with shot knees. Players picked around Giles included Jarrett Allen, John Collins, Anonuby. This isn’t hindsight thinking, this is just bad drafting, which has defined the last decade and a half and which is why we have sucked for so long. No excuses.

WizsSox
June 18, 2021 9:53 am
Reply to  TheGrantNapear

Yes looking back the trade back had terrible results. I just read through the STR thread about grading the draft. Lots of B and A- grades. Some people like OG at the Giles pick and some didn’t love JJ. Most felt it was decent value for the 10th pick.

Those that were upset with the trade down almost exclusively upset we passed on Monk. Saw about 1 mention of Mitchell and didn’t see Bam mentioned in thread at all. So yeah it does feel a bit hindsight to say why did we pass on them. If you or others were on it then that’s a great feather in the cap. But most of us weren’t or those that gave draft grades at the time.

June 18, 2021 10:05 am
Reply to  WizsSox

That draft was hit and miss for me. My basic plan was to draft Isaac @ 5, Mitchell @ 10 (though I was open to Monk & Collins). Then try to get a later 1st (from POR, I believe) by taking on a contract, and using that to take Giles. In hindsight, Isaac’s injuries mean that #5 wasn’t a great call. I totally missed the boat on Adebayo. I was also definitely off on my opinions of DSJ & Ntilikina, though I wasn’t pushing them for the Kings.

The big picture idea is really about talent tiers. In general, trading down is a good idea if you find yourself at the front of a talent tier (As I believed to be the case in 2016). Not if you’re at the end of talent tier (As I thought the case in 2017).

By the way, if you have the link to that STR thread, I’d love to see it.

Last edited 1 month ago by BestHyperboleEver
WizsSox
June 18, 2021 10:17 am
Last edited 1 month ago by WizsSox
June 18, 2021 10:53 am
Reply to  WizsSox

Thanks.

June 18, 2021 11:04 am

Huh, I fully expected more pure idiocy on my part.

WizsSox
June 18, 2021 11:12 am

Just always glad I didn’t post then. I’m sure I would have filled the idiocy quota on several takes around 2016/17.

Carl
June 18, 2021 4:10 pm

I was just skeptical about everything, but that and cutting grass is sort of my thing.

richie88
June 18, 2021 12:50 pm
Reply to  WizsSox

Hm. It looks like a lot of what I wrote aged well (though some parts were wrong).

WizsSox
June 18, 2021 12:57 pm
Reply to  richie88

Yep I noticed you were more on target than most, including myself.

June 18, 2021 10:45 am
Reply to  TheGrantNapear

I wasn’t opposed to turning the #10 into 15/20, but I agree with you in regard to Jackson’s athleticism. #15 seemed too high for him, but I did like the Giles selection at 20. Taking a flyer on a high-ceiling player with your third pick in the first round isn’t a bad strategy.

Even if it hadn’t been here, I’d love to have seen Giles fulfill some of that potential. So much skill and athleticism, he could have been very good had he gotten a break here or there.

kings4ever
June 20, 2021 4:39 am
Reply to  TheGrantNapear

Davion Mitchell has a lot of similarities to Donovan and not just their name. Just like I said Donovn was a future star back then, I see stardom for Davion. He’s Marcus Samrt with a better shot and juke moves.

Davion may turn out better than Suggs. Suggs is okay but he does not do enough to create space for my taste, a lot of straight line drives, and settles for too many contested shots.

The age disparity is where Suggs may catch up and surpass, but just like Donovan proved far superior to PGs taken ahead of him (Dennis Smith Jr and Ntlinkina) , this situation may play out all over again if Davion goes where he is projected to go (late lottery, early teens).

Davion is a far better defensive player than the alleged 1-5 stopper Scotty Barnes. Even though he does not fit a need, I would much rather we draft Davion than the bums bandied about at the top of this page (Wagner, Moody and Giddey, ha-ha, just laugable!)

June 18, 2021 10:10 am

Hindsight wisdom of this kind is boring and pointless.

Do you have evidence of this?
Because I find it interesting and good data points on our scouting and GMing skills at the time.
How much of our scouting department of yore is still here, I wonder?

Last edited 1 month ago by RikSmits
WizsSox
June 18, 2021 10:14 am

I enjoy it. Lately been going back to find old STR threads and if our takes now match to then. It’s interesting…and disappointing to see how often we are wrong. But cool to find the occasion when members really nail an outsider take.

Last edited 1 month ago by WizsSox
June 18, 2021 10:46 am

My apologies, I don’t really understand what you’re saying/asking.

MillersCornrows
June 18, 2021 2:56 pm

It’s not boring and pointless to address when your team has consistently bombed it in the draft. One draft, yeah I get, it, but how many have the Kings bombed?

June 18, 2021 4:09 pm

If you’d like to run the numbers to verify that the Kings have been bad at drafting (which has to be true), I’d be interested in seeing how they stack up compared to other NBA organizations. I’d guess bottom-third, but could be bottom sixth.

I imagine that you’ll need to come up with a formula to assign a specific mathematical figure to each draft position, and another one in order to grade overall quality of play. You should probably also factor in things like the quality of the draft class as a whole (both as perceived, and with the benefit of hindsight), whether injuries caused a player to play below his perceived potential, the quality of the player’s teammates and coach, and probably lots of other things.

I’d do it myself, but I neither possess nor claim to have any particularly keen insight into such things. I’m as full of shit as everyone else.

MillersCornrows
June 21, 2021 1:45 am

Umm…kinda confused. Give me a break.

Murf
June 18, 2021 10:28 am
Reply to  TheGrantNapear

One does wonder who Vlade would have picked at 5 if another team had drafted Fox.

SMF-PDXConnection
June 18, 2021 10:34 am
Reply to  Murf

Josh Jackson.

I asked this question to Vlade at a Kings event, that was his answer.

June 18, 2021 10:51 am

Could you even imagine if that had happened?

Gregoryl
June 18, 2021 10:59 am

Could you even imagine if that had happened?

He would have gotten an add’l 3-year extension.

SMF-PDXConnection
June 18, 2021 11:00 am

The flip side was, if Fox had been taken already and we drafted Jackson at #5, then we would’ve taken Mitchell at #10.

Straight from the GM’s mouth.

June 18, 2021 11:12 am

So bizzare to me, why not Fox and Mitchell?

If Vlade was drafting for position at #10 he should have been fired on the spot.

June 18, 2021 11:15 am

Vlade seemed to be operating under the impression that you’re only allowed to have one ballhandler on the court.

Carl
June 18, 2021 4:29 pm

Which adds extra special dumbness in that this comes from one of the better passing big men of his era.

Last edited 1 month ago by Carl
SMF-PDXConnection
June 18, 2021 11:53 am

That was my follow-up question. The answer?

We were building around Buddy, so three guards was never going to happen. Fox/Buddy or Mitchell/Buddy. A complete 0% chance of Fox/Mitchell because Buddy was the cornerstone of the team at the time, essentially untradeable.

Murf
June 18, 2021 4:13 pm

oh my

June 18, 2021 9:01 am

The Ghost of Vlade Divac, or Puppetmaster Vivek?

Last edited 1 month ago by Kosta
June 19, 2021 12:39 am

It’s Vlavek. They were inseparable. And insufferable.

June 18, 2021 8:26 am
Reply to  ScottyPop

I wouldn’t be at all surprised to see them make another big move or two and make the playoffs next season. Knowing Presti-magic, they’ll probably get the 1st and 5th picks this year, draft Cunningham and Kuminga. Then trade for Love and Hayward + a ton of 1sts. Then we’ll watch Kemba, Heyward, and Love put up healthy seasons while carrying OKC to a 4th seed. Then they’ll progressively flip all 3 for future 1sts while Maledon, SGA, Cunningham, Kuminga, and Poku take over.

Really, they have so many options on direction they could go, it’s crazy.

June 18, 2021 8:28 am

I could see them flipping Kemba to Dallas for Zinger and getting even more assets out of the deal.

June 18, 2021 8:36 am

Maybe. The timing of the trade definitely makes it feel like Kemba may not spend much time in OKC. That said, I wouldn’t be surprised if they keep him for a season (ala Paul, Gallinari, Horford). I also wouldn’t be surprised to see him play pretty well in that season.

On a totally unrelated note, I was thinking last night about how a Simmons for DLo trade could make a lot of sense from all sides. I doubt the Wolves trade DLo considering his friendship with Towns and how they haven’t really had a chance to play together yet, but Simmons is a better fit for Towns/Edwards and DLo is a better fit for Embiid/Harris. Otherwise Simmons, and Russell are pretty similar in age and cost.

KangzAteMyFamily
June 18, 2021 9:12 am

I think Simmons should be used to trade for a much better player. Russell misses a lot of games and can’t play defense worth a damn.

SMF-PDXConnection
June 18, 2021 9:30 am

Think I saw someone suggest a Lillard/Simmons swap. That would be radical.

June 18, 2021 9:52 am

I find it really hard to imagine Portland ever trading Lillard unless he forces it.

SMF-PDXConnection
June 18, 2021 10:12 am

I agree. I think the likely route is CJ/Nurk are used to revamp the roster, depending on who the coach is. They’re just never going to have a good defense with two net negative backcourt starters. Of course, their GM gave a doozy of a presser where he said his roster construction is great and it’s all the coach’s fault, so who knows what they’ll do. Personally, as someone who follows the team but is not emotionally invested in them, I think they have to take the leap and trade CJ for a wing/big upgrade. Maybe they could pull off something like CJ/Nurk/etc for Brogdon/Turner.

June 18, 2021 10:52 am

Barnes + 2024 POR 2nd (giving it back) for Nurkic + Jones Jr. + 2023 lottery protected 1st.

SMF-PDXConnection
June 18, 2021 11:01 am

I’d do that, although I’m less keen on Nurk after this past season.

June 18, 2021 11:06 am

Then they flip CJ for Turner and TJ Warren.

SMF-PDXConnection
June 18, 2021 11:11 am

That definitely balances their roster more. I think it’s going to come down to whatever coach they hire. My instinct tells me that if they get an established coach like D’Antoni (or Carlisle, but that’s unlikely), they’ll likely just run it back, maybe do some bench tweaks.

Their GM is getting a lot of (justified) hate up here. I haven’t seen such an arrogant front office performance since Petey D’s presser after the Malone ouster.

June 18, 2021 11:14 am

I always thought the CJ may be better if he was cast in more of a PG role. In IND, that could be the case playing with Brogdon and Levert.

SMF-PDXConnection
June 18, 2021 11:55 am

The comments from Blazers fans on that is while CJ has the tools to be a PG, he lacks the feel and vision. I don’t know how much I agree with that, but he’s also spent his whole career next to Lillard, so hard to say.

Marty
June 18, 2021 10:00 am

I STRONGLY PREFER THIS

Bbmuteman
June 18, 2021 11:27 am

Why wouldn’t the sixers try a grandfather offer of like simmons, 4 first rounders and pick swaps for steph curry or dame lillard? Try to get the best table setters for a one or two year title contention run like the nets have.

June 18, 2021 11:30 am
Reply to  Bbmuteman

I mean, they could try. I don’t think either GS or POR are taking those offers unless Steph/Dame request it. Maybe Beal?

Bbmuteman
June 18, 2021 11:58 am

Id try beal too if I strike out with dame and steph.

satdawg
June 18, 2021 6:32 pm
Reply to  Bbmuteman

Steph Curry is gonna be a Warrior for life the way he changed the franchise

Gregoryl
June 18, 2021 9:26 am

Meanwhile, our front office….

Last edited 1 month ago by Gregoryl
June 18, 2021 9:31 am

They won’t get anything terribly useful asset-wise by trading with Dallas. The Mavs are a tough read, but given how KP has turned out, luring them into sending out 2025-and-beyond first rounders is a tough sell.

Then again, maybe they cash out on Doncic since their front office is a shit-show.

Bbmuteman
June 18, 2021 11:24 am

Yup, presti is great at it.

Want-to-be-gm
June 18, 2021 8:56 am

yea as I said many times, OKc would be the most interesting franchise to watch in the off-season. I was hoping the Kings would make a move to acquire a combination of Maledon, Brown, and Roby. Assuming the Kings get the 8th pick I would have traded it to OKC for those players. OKC is going to build for now around SGA, Pukuseski, Bazely, and Dort. Brown and Roby would have been nice fits for the Kings.

Now I like to see if Zach Collins can be acquired on a team friendly deal. Portland will be shaking things up.

June 18, 2021 9:13 am
Reply to  Want-to-be-gm

I don’t feel Brown, Maledon or Roby move the needle for me. They are end of the bench reserves who see garbage minutes on a good team. The Kings need significant talent from the top down and not more players the likes of Metu or Justin James.

June 18, 2021 9:34 am

I like Roby a lot and would love to pick him up on the cheap. I’d rather have him on the roster at PF than Metu or Bagley. That said, the Kings are going to have to make multiple moves to become good. Some big moves for the kind of talent you’re talking about. Some smaller moves for guys that can be role players that hopefully have potential for more. I personally, have a hard time seeing them moving the 9 for a player like Roby/Maledon/Brown unless it’s something like #9 for Roby + #16 + another pick. Of course, considering all the picks and likely moves the Thunder will be working with, there’s always the chance a guy like Roby is available for free (or close to it) at some point.

June 18, 2021 9:40 am

With the amount of picks the Thunder have I kind of wonder if they would take a chance on Bagley for a pick and filler.

June 18, 2021 9:55 am

Maybe if it’s a relatively low pick. Though I could come up with a LONG list of other approaches I’d pursue first if I were them. Especially since they currently have Bazley, Poku, and Roby sitting in the Bagley spot.

June 18, 2021 9:01 am
Reply to  ScottyPop

Seattle’s team is going to make the playoffs before us–their future expansion team, if it ever happens. If they don’t get an expansion team, I guess we’ll never see the playoffs ever again. 🙁

(I’m in Seattle right now. Was walking around downtown with my Kangz hoodie on. Some homeless man screamed in my direction, but I don’t think it had anything to do with the Kings.)

SMF-PDXConnection
June 18, 2021 9:25 am

Might not even be expansion.

June 18, 2021 9:33 am

Shreveport Pelicans. Catchy!

BeTheBall
June 18, 2021 4:13 pm

Wouldn’t surprise me at all if NO moves. It was a ridiculous decision by the NBA to begin with.

MichaelMack
June 18, 2021 10:21 am

Glad you are here when the weather is nice.

June 18, 2021 11:24 am

At least you aren’t dealing with the heatwave right now in Cali! Since my apartment has no AC and yesterday was the peak of the heatwave (even in the Bay Area), I had to go to a library during the afternoon, otherwise I would’ve melted in my apartment. And it was still very hot and muggy when I returned in the mid-evening. 🙁

aplumley
June 18, 2021 9:21 am
Reply to  ScottyPop

Worse yet was Ayton’s declaration “Best class in NBA history” and the Kings got Bagley.

June 18, 2021 9:24 am
Reply to  aplumley

At least the Ringer article had the good manners not to mention Bagley or the Kings too much.

BabalooMagoo
June 18, 2021 1:24 pm
Reply to  ScottyPop

“Anybody out there doubt OKC makes the playoffs again before us?”

Ha! I have no doubt every other team in the league makes the playoffs before the Kangz.

Sigh.

SMF-PDXConnection
June 18, 2021 8:18 am

I had a dream we got the first pick.

Thus, as is the way of the universe, we’ll stick at 9 and package it in a trade for an ill fitting near star player that Luke will play partly out of position.

HongKongKingsFan
June 18, 2021 8:43 am

You definitely got it right for the first part.

As we will certainly land the 1st pick in this year draft lottery.

Regarding the trade made by Thunder, I really wish we could find a way to get their 16th pick, then pick one of Kai Jones, Z. Williams, Wanger or Giddey.

June 18, 2021 9:03 am

Sticking at 9 ain’t too bad. Better than falling back!

June 18, 2021 9:14 am

I think I’m now in the camp that if the Kings stay at #9, the package it in a trade.

Carl
June 18, 2021 4:40 pm

I’m 100% on board with this. I think the only way it doesn’t happen is if the front office is too passive or overvalues the existing players.

Last edited 1 month ago by Carl
June 18, 2021 5:43 pm
Reply to  Carl

Gotta be more possibilities than the simple binary we have here.

Carl
June 18, 2021 9:50 pm

I would certainly hope their plan to win doesn’t involve two holes in one in a row in the low lottery.

This team needs improvement and has few assets. If the front office actually wants to improve, which I’m going to assume for now they do, they’re going to have to move some of the few assets they have.

Last edited 1 month ago by Carl
BasketballHella
June 19, 2021 12:45 pm
Reply to  Carl

Only person overvaluing anything is the 🤙🏼. Which is why we are screwed. I get the feeling they are gonna run it back. If they keep Holmes. If they don’t force monte into the freak out desperation move to make that 10th seed.

June 18, 2021 9:10 am

Greg wrote that inaction is a failure. Monty McNair, don’t ‘inaction’ the coaching situation …please!

Do what you should’ve been hired to do, and be aggressive in fixing this team. Make a case to Vivek about getting a new coach. Make him understand how important this is.

Other teams are getting better as we stay put. This roster + Walton is not going to get you anything other than a shot at the Play-in.

Compete! Don’t settle for a paycheck.

(Exasperated Kangz fan)

June 18, 2021 9:24 am

This is a good play for both teams for all the reasons that you laid out so nicely.

I think that Boston may have themselves a diamond in the rough in Moses Brown, or at least a nice piece of quartz that can be polished up and made shiny. 7’1″, long, springy, and looks to be a guy who can protect the rim. There’s no indication that he might become someone who can spread the floor, but at 21, it’s not inconceivable. He’s cheap for another three years, at least, too.

Hell, maybe he or Time Lord will be shopped by Boston. Both seem like guys who can get a double/double only getting 25-30 minutes per game.

In other news, it occurred to me after all of the Ben Simmons discussion that Daryl Morey runs the show in Philly, and that might give McNair a leg up if the Kings start to get serious about a deal. Morey knows his stuff, so I don’t see much of a friend discount being likely.

It’s only mid-June, and already shit is crazy.

SMF-PDXConnection
June 18, 2021 9:28 am

This truly has been the wildest, most bizarre week in the NBA that I can remember recently.

Next thing we know, they’ll reveal Kirilenko was actually a spy or something.

June 18, 2021 9:46 am

I get so frustrated with people around 60 and older who say the’ve done a “significant amount of research” and now think they know better than professionals with degrees on the subject. I really think they come from a generation when they read something or saw something on a screen, it must be true. I really feel Baby Boomers and the like are the most manipulated generation right now. My father is one of these types of people. He really believes Fauci and MI6 created and are profiting off of Covid. The internet is a deep dark place.

Just because you read something online doesn’t make it fact. I can probably find a “significant amount of research” saying eating ground beef raw is perfectly fine, but that doesn’t make it true.

Last edited 1 month ago by Adamsite
TheGrantNapear
June 18, 2021 9:52 am

There’s tens of thousands of physicians and scientists around the world and right here in our country that have concerns about the vaccine. It’s not conspiracy theory. There are risks with taking the vaccine and there are risks with not taking the vaccine. Each person should have the right to dictate what they put in their body and to make decisions for themselves.

June 18, 2021 10:35 am
Reply to  TheGrantNapear

I consulted my physician & followed his advice. Seems pretty basic.

June 18, 2021 10:36 am
Reply to  TheGrantNapear

I’d like to see your work on these tens of thousands of physicians and scientists. Where did that number come from? Who are these “physicians and scientists” and what types of medicine/science do they practice? What are their concerns? What did they say? On what information are they basing their opinions?

I mean, obviously pretty much all experts in the field have some degree of concern. There are exactly zero professionals that work with vaccines (or any other type of medication) that would ever say there aren’t any risks to any people in taking any type of medication. The question is, from what we know, does the likelihood and severity of adverse reactions from vaccines outweigh the benefits.

Then, if you have time, it would be great to see examples people not having the “right to dictate what they put in their body and make decisions for themselves.”

At the moment, without more details, all I’m seeing here is a field of straw men.

June 18, 2021 10:54 am

If you like his strawmen, you are really gonna love his anecdotal evidence!

BeTheBall
June 18, 2021 4:21 pm

Reminds me of a tweet I came across a while back where a scientist was referenced regarding how the vaccine alters your DNA. Who was that scientist, you ask? Turned out to be a geologist.

MidtownMike
June 18, 2021 11:00 am
Reply to  TheGrantNapear

100%, this shouldn’t be hard to understand

June 18, 2021 11:08 am
Reply to  MidtownMike

I doubt anybody is having trouble understanding any of that.

June 18, 2021 11:27 am
Reply to  TheGrantNapear

LOL. I assume you’re mostly counting nameless “physicians and scientists” posting in the comments section of online newspapers.

June 18, 2021 11:39 am

I mean, sure. There are what, 7.9 billion people in the world. So there are probably at least a couple hundred million “physicians and scientists” considering how broad those terms can be. So if we use the most “tens of thousands” could reasonably mean and divide that by the number of “physicians and scientists” we’re talking about something like 0.05% of them “have concerns about the vaccine.” Sure. I can believe that. I mean, whether you want to take the advice of the 0.05% over the advice of the 99.95% is up to you.

BeTheBall
June 18, 2021 4:24 pm

Otis, I’ll have you know that CaptianCaffineLover9983 has three degrees in marine biology, astronomy, and quantum physics. As he clearly pointed out in that Vox comment section.

Last edited 1 month ago by BeTheBall
kingsforaday
June 18, 2021 10:29 pm
Reply to  TheGrantNapear

You’re shifting the argument here – covid19 risk and covid19 vaccine risk are not comparable. Only strong vaccine hesitancy and implicit bias would prevent one from seeing this.

And everyone just making their own choice sounds great, but unfortunately is not an effective public strategy.

June 18, 2021 10:43 am

Confirmation bias was already one of the strongest forces in the universe before the Internet. Now it’s even stronger. You can find support for any thing you want to believe. It’s why it’s so vital to teach people good researching skills, source-checking, and critical-thinking from an early age.

Otherwise, well… just look around, right?

June 18, 2021 11:34 am

If Baby Boomers are the most manipulated, it’s important to note that it is Boomers doing the manipulating, and those being manipulated are doing so willingly, and with enthusiasm.

This is a generation that is the equivalent to a plague of locusts, mindless and voracious in their consumption, future be damned. The hypocrisy is further emphasized by its stark comparison to their politics when they were young. War is bad when your ass is on the line, but it’s necessary and even easy when you’re the one sending young men and women into battle.

I have great doubt that the country will ever recover from them.

BlessedEdward
June 18, 2021 8:30 pm

Anytime we get into long winded debates about non basketball topic’s we just create division and take away the small joy we all hopefully receive from talking basketball (even if its the Kangz where hope springs eternal)…if we want to debate other topics lets go to sites that promote them not here on our beloved basketball sanctuary….this discord will kill the site as people leave because we are all here to escape the challenges of everyday life and just want to talk and dream about our team….thanks

June 19, 2021 8:00 am
Reply to  BlessedEdward
  1. Taking about non-basketball subjects doesn’t take away any of my joy.
  2. We’ve been having these types of discussion at least since I started hanging around roughly 5 years ago. I suspect it’s been going on much longer than that. And it hasn’t killed the site yet. On the contrary, I’d say talking about subjects beyond basketball at times creates a stronger, more connected community.
  3. I’m not here to escape the challenges of everyday life.

TL;DR version – Speak for yourself.

June 18, 2021 11:39 am

It simply boils down to whom they believe is an expert in a certain field.

The right-wing media has done a great job brainworming all kinds of people into questioning the expertise of people who, you know, have studied something for the entirety of their adult lives. But if Tucker Carlson opines on it…

June 18, 2021 11:46 am

My favorite Tucker Carlson fact is that he beat a slander suit because his lawyers successfully argued that no reasonable person would ever take anything he says seriously.

Carl
June 19, 2021 2:09 pm

What I find interesting about the “There are risks on both sides” crowd is just simple math. Tucker Carlson published an opinion piece last month (that even Fox News would not label as news) claiming about 3,400 people died of COVID vaccines from late December to the month before the the piece. Let’s assume that was late December to the end of April. I picked Christmas as a starting point, because of course there’s no data to back up his opinion.

From December 25, 2020 to April 30, 2021, 233,000 Americans died of COVID, among about 13.1 million cases. That means one in 56 Americans who caught COVID during that time died from it.

147 million people were vaccinated during that same time period. So even if you believe Tucker Carlson (heh.), that 3,400 people died, that means about one in 45,000 people died of the COVID vaccine, according to Carlson (haha).

So even if you believe Tucker Carlson (come on), your chance of dying from COVID is about 800 times greater than dying from the vaccine.

If Tucker Carlson is too much of a Kamala hugging liberal for you to believe, *you* might be the problem.

The data is here: https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#trends_dailytrendscases

(And yes I know that Fauci and the CDC are working with China and the big pharma companies to shoot chin COVID from Italian satellites into the chins of people wearing their masks wrong (thankfully Luke Walton is protected) in order to magnetize their bodies and implant them with microchips instead of just using the damn phone that everyone is carrying anyway, so Fauci can get rich and never spend a penny of any of the billions of dollars the companies are paying him.

Last edited 1 month ago by Carl
jjdski
June 18, 2021 12:12 pm

Here we ago again, a bunch of comments that have nothing to do with the article. Just a bunch of political opinions that have nothing to do with the subject.

June 18, 2021 12:13 pm
Reply to  jjdski

You should request a refund.

June 18, 2021 1:18 pm
Reply to  jjdski

I didn’t realize saying older folks are being easily manipulated by misinformation was a political opinion. I’d figure folks on all ends of the spectrum would agree to that one.

Carl
June 19, 2021 2:20 pm

The only error I see is that it pretty clearly is not just older folks who are being manipulated.