Articles | Breaking News | NBA Draft

Sacramento Kings select Tyrese Haliburton with the 12th pick in the NBA draft

The Kings ended Haliburton's unexpected slide.

With the 12th pick in the 2020 NBA Draft the Sacramento Kings select Tyrese Haliburton!

This is huge win for the Kings as nobody expected Haliburton to be available for the Kings at the 12th pick.

From our expert, Bryant West:

Tyrese Haliburton has incredible upside as a perfect role player for any team in the league, especially the Kings. He's a dynamic playmaker, a great shooter off the catch, and a high-instinct help defender. He will fit in fantastically with the Kings, who desperately need high instinct players who give a damn on defense. Anyone expecting a star should reign in expectations - Hali is not a guy who can create his own shot, and he'll be best as a secondary initiator next to De'Aaron Fox. But the Kings just snagged the 7th overall guy on my KingsCentric Big Board, and Haliburton will certainly become a fan favorite early in his Kings career.

Welcome to Sacramento Tyrese!

The Kings still own the 35th, 43rd, and 52nd picks in the draft, so stay tuned to Kings Herald for more Kings coverage.

nikstauskasontheheat

LETS FUCKING GOOOOOOO

RAP87
15 days ago

YEEESSSSS!!!!!! TYRESE HALIBURTON!!!! YEEESSSS!!!!

This sounds great!

But then I am wondering, why did he slide so far? Is he the falling knife and did we Kangz again?

15 days ago

god just enjoy something good happening for crying out loud.

15 days ago

I enjoy plenty of good things happening. They usually aren’t Kings related, unfortunately.

nonstripedzebra
15 days ago

I could sympathize with this if Haliburton was an intangibles athlete upside play with a giant hole (Okoro in this class comes to mind in relation to shooting). But this is an analytics darling, projectable with models, who is more than deserving of intrigue as well in his film. Maybe a serious injury is being wrapped but in lieu of that as no one has even remotely suggested as much, the logic of this pick is more than sound. Its process driven in a way nearly every Kings pick hasnt been (even the good ones).

Regardless of how this plays out this is sound logic. Thats all you can do.

Last edited 15 days ago by nonstripedzebra
15 days ago

you do you. I just don’t understand always complaining. Like what’s the point in being a fan if you can still complain based on what’s happened tonight?

15 days ago

like what event would you not complain about? If the Sacramento Kings gave you one million dollars would you complain because you feel you deserve one billion dollars?

15 days ago

I would not complain about you minding your own business.

kind of funny that you keep complaining about my complaining that much. Those kind of ironies make me happy.

thumbs down emoji

15 days ago

I think it’s ironic you really have very little good to say about the Kings, ever. In any context. For someone with absolutely no connection to the city in any way shape or form, you manage to ONLY see the negative.

It’s rather impressive in it’s own way. But it is also rather limiting, too.

15 days ago

“This is going to kill me on my taxes!”

15 days ago

You could just let everyone have their own opinion, so this place doesn’t turn into StR during the early Cousins era.

We left hive minded devotion behind a few years back.

thumbs up emoji

Want2win
15 days ago

I actually thought the same thing about him falling so fast

Reply to  Want2win

Let’s assume there’s an issue. Why worry about it until it’s revealed?

SPTSJUNKIE

Obligatory – F yes!!!!!!

And if anyone wants to know – here’s my write up from the draft projections:

Model view: Wild variance finishing as high as 2 and as low a 4, which advanced math will tell you is twice as big of a number as 2.  But joking aside, every model loved him as he was the highest rated player in the model aside from the 3 game sample from Wiseman.  The only models where he was lower were the humble models where he was penalized for a slightly lower mock draft ranking.

Scouts View: A hard working, high IQ player who has great size and length for either PG or SG and should be a switchable, but not elite / lock down defender.  Has an unorthodox, but effective shot and has great footwork, though shies away from contact inside and can struggle to finish at times. He’s also long, fluid, and crafty which helps him create offense, but he lacks great speed or athleticism, which limits his ability to create for himself.

Good metrics: 99th percentile spot up & 3rd in transition, Great impact stats (20 net rating, 12 BPM, 4 win shares in 22 games), 2.33 A/T, 63% true shooting, 2.4 steals per 40, 1.9 steals / foul

Bad Metrics: 16.5 point per 40, 20.1 usage rate,

What you have to believe for him to be a star: That his funky shot translates to the NBA and that he can score enough to be a star as opposed to a secondary or tertiary ball handler.

Verdict: Anyone who has interacted with me here knows that Haliburton checks all my boxes – high basketball IQ, high skill level, hard worker, and high impact.  I have no doubt he’s going to be a very good NBA player who outperforms where he’s been mocked.  That said, while I think he will end up playing a critical role on some very good teams, his low points per 40 and film doesn’t really match past high skill, high IQ players who were underestimated and became superstars.  While not a perfectly predictive stats – points per 40 for these stars was: Harden (23), Curry (34), Lillard (28), Doncic (25), McCollum (31).  While his Iowa teammates were dreadful shooters who didn’t space the floor and may have held back Haliburton slightly, I think he’d need outlier growth to become a star and more likely settles in as a very strong player.

NBA comp high: Modern Toni Kukoc – At his peak, Toni had the advanced stats of a top 20 player, although he was more complementary than someone you wanted as your number 1 option.  Similarly, Haliburton is likely to be a strong, two way contributor, but one who fits in perfectly in the modern NBA and who can be added to any lineup.

NBA comp medium: Khris Middleton – A strong, versatile semi-star, who ideally would be an elite team’s 3rd best option.  A player who does everything well, but who isn’t necessarily elite in any one skill and not someone you want as your best player.

NBA comp low: Mike Dunleavy – A solid NBA journeyman and on-and-off starter who is a high IQ, solid character staple in the league for years.

Reply to  SPTSJUNKIE

So you’re saying he’s a bit of a mystery.

NoRedJerseys
Reply to  SPTSJUNKIE

I like it but your comps are all guys who play the 3 or 4…

SPTSJUNKIE
Reply to  NoRedJerseys

Fair, call it the SG version. But Hali has a somewhat similar height / weight. Somewhat similar styles and usage as ideally the 3rd best player on an elite team.

aplumley
Reply to  SPTSJUNKIE

If Dunleavy is his floor, that’s pretty good.

TrojanCBB
Reply to  SPTSJUNKIE

All your comps are way taller than he is. Are we looking for a growth spurt?

SPTSJUNKIE
Reply to  TrojanCBB

Would be nice, but was more about the playing style and complementary, high IQ nature of his game. Typically you might associate it with a more dominant PG, but given he will probably be a secondary / tertiary ball handler, his numbers and impact might be more in-line with them.

NorCalKingsFan
Reply to  SPTSJUNKIE

I like the comparison to Middleton, he hits a lot of spot-up shots and I can only hope Haliburton becomes as effective defensively.

richie88
Reply to  SPTSJUNKIE

I’m quite happy the Kings went w/the guy who clearly seemed like the BPA (I’m surprised Haliburton fell to #12), but I don’t remember Kukoc being as good as Middleton, much less better.

Last edited 15 days ago by richie88
SPTSJUNKIE
Reply to  richie88

Ha. Had this same conversations with multiple friends who read this. Kukoc had top 20 advanced stats and was the third best player on some championship teams.

You want to argue for Middleton, then that’s fine. But I think Kukoc was probably underrated and while he got his rings, probably is remembered a bit worse for being the #3 and sitting around 15ppg with other great supporting stats.

richie88
Reply to  SPTSJUNKIE

So his advanced stats were better than Rodman’s on some of the title teams?

SPTSJUNKIE
Reply to  richie88

Yes, now these should be taken with a grain of salt, but for reference, the 1995-1996 Bulls:

Player: VORP (League rank)
Jordan: 9.8 (#1)
Pippen: 5.9 (#7)
Kukoc: 4.0 (#17)
Kerr: 2.6 (#43)
Harper: 2.2 (#61)
Rodmap: 1.1 (#115)

Now, Rodman played an important and unique role on the Bulls with his defense and rebounding. However, he gave them very little on offense, probably sandbagged some of the regular season, and certainly had a big personality that helped claim the spotlight.

So you can argue that Rodman was the third best or at least the third most impactful when he was locked in every third regular season game and in the playoffs (though he was still #6 in the playoffs). Or that Kukoc was quietly underrated, while Rodman’s personality helped add to his mystique beyond his actual impact.

Note 1: BPM and Win Shares give the same top 3 and a near-identical ranking. And Bulls had the same to 3 and a near identical ranking in 1996-1997, so this wasn’t a one year fluke.

Note 2: Kukoc had a virtually identical VORP the year before with Jordan not playing 80% of the games, so his success wasn’t about Jordan elevating his game. Even at age 30 without Jordan or Pippen, he was the #28 player by VORP.

SPTSJUNKIE
Reply to  SPTSJUNKIE

And going back real fast to the is Middleton better conversation:

Middleton’s peak VORP is 2.9 last season with one other season of 2.2. Similarly, peak BPM is 4.1 with one prior season at 1.6. And max win shares is 7.9.

Kukoc on those metrics was VORP 4.1, BPM 5.4, Win Shares 10.1. Even off Chicago where he was 33 and older (at a time when players that age typically cratered), he had seasons of 2.1 VORP, 2.8 BPM, 4.0 Win Shares – which other than Win Shares is better than Middleton’s second best season.

Of course, this proves nothing. Advanced stats should be taken with a grain of salt. But just to provide some context across eras.

Anyway, not trying to be a know-it-all or pedantic here. I just think it’s a fascinating topic, so wanted to look up some of the data to share. Again, you are not the only person to bring this up and had a similar, fascinating conversation about it with 2 friends who are NBA junkies on Zoom last night while we watched the draft.

RunningLikeFox

WHAT A HUGE PICK!!!!!

15 days ago

This is fantastic. I was concerned they’d take Nesmith. Atta boy. monte!

Hobby916
15 days ago

I will gladly take that falling knife!!!

15 days ago

I didn’t think Halliburton would drop past 8, just no way.

Storm
15 days ago

WELCOME TO BASKETBALL HELL HALI!!!

YOU WILL BE MUCH APPRECIATED HERE! HELL YEAH!!

15 days ago

And he has a resemblance to Doug Christie. I couldn’t be happier.

Want2win
15 days ago

I’m glad I’m not the only one I thought you can’t look like a young Doug Christie

15 days ago

I’m so fucking excited. I never thought he’d fall out of the top 5. I’m getting drunk now.

JackassCentral916
15 days ago

I was already drunk, now to get more drunk!

I’m gonna get drunkiest.

Jman1949
15 days ago

We all get to TY one on!

richie88
15 days ago

I could’ve seen him slipping to #8, but I’m surprised he slipped to #12.

15 days ago

I’m drinking 2 or 3 beers. Which, these days, is my equivalent of getting drunk.

Bluejohn
14 days ago

Was right with you bro. Woo hoo

Dad
Dad

YASS!

Me likey.

15 days ago

Great get! Now if we can only not eff up our trades…

Mike120
15 days ago

Tankathon had Haliburton at #4. I can see why Kings weren’t thinking they could get him

TheGrantNapear

Great day Kings fans!
Bogi trade falls through and we get great value with our 12th pick. Steal of the draft in terms of value.
Vlade would not have made that pick due to Haliburton playing the same position as Fox. Thank God Monte is our GM and not the VladFather.

Mike120
Reply to  TheGrantNapear

You’re so right about VD being afraid to pick another PG. but at 6’5” and 40% from 3, he seems like a prototypical SG

Reply to  Mike120

He’s built like a two, but he really has excellent passing skills. He’s actually ambidextrous, and will find the open man. The Kings should be able to back cut and kick out teams to death.

And we build.

NoRedJerseys
15 days ago

ESPN says he’s only 175lbs… is that right?

Reply to  NoRedJerseys

That’s my understanding, Kind of Kevin Martin territory when he arrived in Sacramento. Anyway, weight is a hell of a lot easier to add than height or talent.

JoeNoSay
15 days ago

Anyway, weight is a hell of a lot easier to add than height or talent.

Can personally confirm this

aplumley
Reply to  TheGrantNapear

At 6’5″ and with a 7’0″ wingspan, he can probably guard 1-3. Sorry if I’m starting the “he can play some small forward” conversation.

Reply to  aplumley

He’ll probably be our Buddy replacement.

aplumley

One can only hope

RAP87
Reply to  TheGrantNapear

Agreed! Vlade would probably pick Maxey over Hali even if Haliburton is available.. Or you know draft another big.. cause you know Vlade loves his bigs.

Man feels good to get Haliburton.. I honestly didn’t think he would last to 12.

Phoenix threw a monkey wrench by drafting a big which opened up the possibility of us drafting either Vassell or Haliburton..

BabalooMagoo

Wow!

I want Fox/Hali/DD so bad

Yazan13
15 days ago

The defense would be so much improved on this team.. god I hope the trade goes through!!

15 days ago

Question 1: Would Vlade have made this same pick?

Question 2: What will Haliburton’s nickname be from Jerry?

Biscuit
15 days ago

What will Haliburton’s nickname be from Jerry?

An important question that will need to be answered on The Kings Herald Show, since Jerry won’t be calling any more games.

Want2win
15 days ago

Meh.. the spurs passed on him… I kid this looks like a solid pick.. I sure hope we can get a small forward the sign and trade for Bogi

PhilippinesForSacKings

If only that Divincenzo trade pushed through, that 3-guard line-up of Fox, Divi and Hali may be small but it could provide opposing offenses big problems.

Last edited 15 days ago by PhilippinesForSacKings

that will still happen

15 days ago

Halliburton is 6’5″ with a 6’8″ wingspan. He’s definitely not small.

aplumley

7’0″ wingspan.

BuffaloDiaspora
Reply to  aplumley

Wut?

Really? That’s insane. It would also give him a crazy low handle.

Reply to  aplumley

EVEN BETTER.

JoeNoSay
Reply to  aplumley

Those are the guys that don’t have to bend down to tie their shoes

15 days ago

LET’S FUCKING GO! This is literally the best outcome.

Mike120
15 days ago

our backcourt should have some combo of Fox, Buddy, Tyrese at all times. Coho only in emergencies/blowouts.

Mike120
Reply to  Mike120

CoJo

jwalker1395
Reply to  Mike120

Buddy gets a full-time ball-handling assistant! Terrific news!

KingsOverAces

Holy shit!!!

JRamos
15 days ago

“Haliburton, with a Hal-of-a-pass!”

nonstripedzebra
15 days ago

James Jones put this in motion. Took someone to reach to put this in play. Thanks. Well done Monte for not overthinking it

Last edited 15 days ago by nonstripedzebra
sonny

TKH!

Tyrese ‘f__King’ Haliburton!

I have a Greg Anthony autograph

15 days ago

I was at the LV airport and got autographs from GA, Stacey Augmon, Tark the Shark, and Larry Johnson.

NorCalKingsFan

Tark yelled at me once.

I was 17 on a campus tour of Fresno St. and as I headed out the “exit-only” door of a student cafe, Tark is standing outside waiting to come in and says “Get the fuck out the way son!” as he pushed past me.

Last edited 15 days ago by NorCalKingsFan
Reply to  NorCalKingsFan

I’m astounded that this isn’t purple.

BetweenAMitch_AHardPlace

JERRY-ISM:

Since Moak is already gonna yell TYRESE the same way he said TYREKE, i propose this new JERRY-ISM for whenever Tyrese hits a layup:

Sweet layup, will you be mine

can be sang to the tune of Tyrese – Sweet Lady for extra points.

MauricePWhippoorwill

Love it!

1 2 3

Patreon Supporter    Registered On Day 1    Published Post  Published Post Nostradumbass