Articles | Breaking News | Draft News

NBA Lottery Results: The Sacramento Kings will select 12th overall

With only a slight chance of moving up or moving back, remaining at number 12 was almost a certainty for the Kings.

The results are in!

Washington 9
Phoenix 10
San Antonio 11
Sacramento 12
New Orleans 13
Boston (via Memphis) 14

After two consecutive seasons of jumping in the NBA lottery (we're just going to ignore the Kings-less first round of the 2019 draft), the Sacramento Kings were neither smiled nor frowned upon by the lottery gods this year, remaining in their original position of the 12th overall pick in the NBA Draft. With potential stars Anthony Edwards and James Wiseman almost certainly out of the picture, the Kings will be focusing their attention on prospects such as Patrick Williams, Aaron Nesmith, and Tyrese Maxey, while an outside chance remains that a player of Cole Anthony's or Devin Vassel's caliber falls their way.

Overall, the Kings will walk into draft night with four darts to throw at the board, the 12th, 35th, 43rd, and 53rd picks, which rank as the 10th most valuable combination of draft assets according to tankathon. It remains to be seen when the draft will take place, however, as Adrian Wojnarowski of ESPN reported a possible delay in both the draft and free agency early Thursday afternoon, which could inadvertently help the Kings find the time to establish a management group before critical roster decisions must be made.

While the Kings may not have experienced the same lottery luck as in 2017 and 2018, they still hold the opportunity to add another key piece around De'Aaron Fox, Marvin Bagley, and rest of the team's core, as long as the team hires the right personnel to make those decisions in the coming weeks.

HongKongKingsFan
August 20, 2020 5:54 pm

With the 12th pick in 2020 NBA Draft, the Sacramento Kings select Jason Thompson !!

NorCalKingsFan
August 20, 2020 6:10 pm

I like that I can down-vote a comment now…I read this from HKKF and laughed, then said to myself “not funny”.

HongKongKingsFan
August 20, 2020 6:17 pm
Reply to  NorCalKingsFan

Just tell you that I am not the one that “down-voted” you…

I just being sarcastic………

I really thought we were going to “jump”…but once again…disappointment

ArcoThunder
August 20, 2020 7:47 pm

My first down vote. 😊

August 20, 2020 10:07 pm
Reply to  ArcoThunder

I really dislike the downvote function.

MyNeighborTurturro
August 20, 2020 5:55 pm

Did I just drink several glasses of Scotch for nothing? Or, because they didn’t move down, was it not for naught? I just need some justification for drinking this early.

Lucky_Guy
August 20, 2020 6:01 pm

Being a Kings fan is justification enough

KevinSalvadori
August 20, 2020 6:17 pm
Reply to  Lucky_Guy

Frankly I’m surprised more of us don’t just drink straight gasoline.

LaBradfordsCreditCard
August 20, 2020 10:53 pm
Reply to  KevinSalvadori

To wash down the cyanide tablets.

deepshot22
August 20, 2020 6:03 pm

I dont know why I expected us to catch a break and make a big jump in the draft for a franchise altering player. Oh yeah, we already had that gifted to us.

SPTSJUNKIE
August 20, 2020 7:38 pm
Reply to  deepshot22

If you want to make yourself feel better – consider that if we hire a qualified GM – there is a decent chance that we land a better player at #12 than Vlade would have landed with an earlier draft pick.

Here’s Ujiri’s first round draft record:
+ 2011 Pick 22: Kenneth Faried
+ 2012 Pick 20: Evan Fournier
+ 2014 pick 20: Bruno Cabalo
+ 2015 pick 20: Delon Wright
+ 2016 pick 9: Jacob Poeltl
+ 2016 pick 27: Pascal Siakam
+ 2017 pick 23: OG Anunoby

Here’s Vlade’s lottery picks:
2015: Willie Cauley-Stein
2016: Georgios Papagiannis
2017: De’Aaron Fox
2018: Marvin Bagley

And that of course doesn’t include trading a lottery pick to free up cap space to sign Rondo or trading away from Mitchell and Bam in the lottery to draft JJ and Giles.

We need to hire the right GM / front office. But there’s a reason why tanking is a very overrated strategy (beyond a few games at the end of the season). Good GMs generally don’t need to and typically do not stay in the high lottery for very long. Meanwhile, bad GMs keep demonstrating why they are bad GMs.

02kingsfan
August 20, 2020 7:42 pm
Reply to  SPTSJUNKIE

Who’s Georgios Papagiannis?! Haha jk but please don’t remind us!

ImJoeKing
August 21, 2020 9:03 am
Reply to  SPTSJUNKIE

Bruno was picked 6 years ago. And he’s still two years away.

August 20, 2020 8:46 pm
Reply to  deepshot22

There aren’t any franchise altering players in this draft.

August 20, 2020 8:52 pm

I’m not a draft connoisseur, but that just seems unlikely. Has there ever been a draft in which there wasn’t a single legitimate all-star caliber player? I guess I can see an argument that there’s no way to predict which player will ultimately be franchise altering, but that’s different obviously.

August 20, 2020 10:10 pm

All Star and franchise altering are two different things.

DMC was an all star, and it could be perhaps argued (pun intended) that he was franchise altering, just not in a good way.

SPTSJUNKIE
August 20, 2020 10:12 pm

Hands down the closest modern draft to that is 2000.

The closest to a franchise altering player was Michael Redd at pick 43. Outside of that you could argue for Kenyon Martin, Hedo, or Mike Miller as the 2nd best player.

The draft produced 3 total all stars and one was Jamal Magloire in the East when the team had to have two “centers.” He averaged 14-10 with 1.4 blocks, a 47% FG, and 0.3 VORP that year.

Basically, it was epically bad. Even “bad” drafts in other years tend to be far, far above 2000.

Wonderchild
August 21, 2020 9:02 am
Reply to  SPTSJUNKIE

2014 is looking pretty bad depending how “franchise altering” you see Embiid, at least until you get to Jokic, the 41st pick.

August 20, 2020 10:21 pm

I guess we’d have to define what “franchise altering” means. There have been a number of All-Stars I would t call franchise altering. But yes, the better point is probably to say I don’t think there are any players that are, individually, a good bet to be a franchise altering talent. There ultimately will likely be good players that come
out of this draft, I just think they’re nearly as likely to come in the second round as they are to come in the top 5-10.

Last edited 9 months ago by BestHyperboleEver
August 20, 2020 10:41 pm

All Star voting is a popularity contest, and also flawed because it limits the number of players chosen for positions, so that for instance in a period with excellent guards, some big guy gets voted in due to a lack of flexibility.

Do you know that Rik Smits was a one time all star?

So although All Stars are usually pretty good players, plenty of them are not franchise altering.

August 20, 2020 10:59 pm

By all star caliber I just meant top 30-40ish player in the league during their prime. There’s just not a great way of saying that. Basically someone about as good as we expect Fox to be. I guess I just think that’s a player that would alter the trajectory of this franchise.

August 21, 2020 5:49 am

And chances are there are at least a couple top-40 potential players in this draft. I just don’t think anybody has any idea who it’s going to be. I think it’s nearly as likely to be Desmond Bane (usually mocked in the 2nd round) as it is to be Edwards or Ball. So I don’t think jumping in this draft makes a team especially more likely to find them.

LaBradfordsCreditCard
August 20, 2020 10:55 pm
Reply to  deepshot22

Yeah, the basketball gods only create and hand out so many Magics, Michaels, Birds, Kobes, LeBrons and Lukas … you sort of have to jump on it when you have the chance.

KevinSalvadori
August 20, 2020 6:05 pm

Here’s a fun game. Hypothesize on what Vlade would have done with this pick, and imagine what Dumars will do.

Mine: Vlade would trade the 12, Fox, and a like new Walt Williams Jersey for the #5 pick and a chance to pick Deni Avdija, only for him to be picked at 4.

Dumars: selects Jahmius Ramsey at 12, picks up another pick for Bjelica.

richie88
August 20, 2020 6:20 pm
Reply to  KevinSalvadori

That isn’t fun.

KevinSalvadori
August 20, 2020 6:29 pm
Reply to  richie88

You’re right. I should have prefaced it as, “Here’s a sad reality”.

NorCalKingsFan
August 20, 2020 6:09 pm

“to add another key piece around De’Aaron Fox, Marvin Bagley, and rest of the team’s core”

I don’t see Bagley as a “core” anything at this point, the new mgmt team will have no reason to treat him as anything other than a project as he was not their pick and they are not tied to him in anyway. I’m sure the new mgmt team will do the same as most Kings fans and hope Bagley can become a productive player at some point, but beyond that, he is not part of any core.

At this point in the off-season, I’m hoping that Jeffries is the starting PF next year slotted between Barnes (SF) and Holmes (C).

ArcoThunder
August 20, 2020 7:52 pm
Reply to  NorCalKingsFan

It’s semantics really. I agree that he’s not part of the core (yet). However he is a piece new management should keep around for now and see if they can drag anything good out him. The upside is to high for them to throw in the towel 2 weeks after getting the job.

eddie41
August 20, 2020 8:35 pm
Reply to  NorCalKingsFan

I’d trade Holmes. He’s a backup center. Although he outperformed his contract, he was ironically the worst free agency signing of the offseason because he gave Luke Walton the option of not playing Giles. And all those memories of being schooled by the likes of Kenny Thomas come back to haunt Luke Walton and he benches Giles. We need playmakers.

shawndeon
August 21, 2020 4:16 am

Richaun Holmes was easily the Kings best post player. He outplayed Giles in every way. But people are still obsessed over what Giles could have been instead of what he is.
To be honest Giles will not be more than a 20minute a night guy. And even then he will Hurt your team due to his inability to play defense.

August 21, 2020 8:34 am
Reply to  shawndeon

Because Giles is 22 with about a season’s worth of minutes under his belt. Why wouldn’t we and the team be more focused on what he could be rather than what he is. Again, why do people seem to keep talking about Giles like he’s a mid-career vet that’s taking up vital roster and cap space?

As for Holmes, he’s a great fringe starter rim-runner on a good deal. A team like the Kings (ie. one that is going to have to make a number of moves before they’re ready to compete) should absolutely be looking to sell high on a player like that.

If the Kings are honest with themselves they should be targeting the playoffs in 2022. As such all moves should be serving that end. Holmes will be a FA next offseason. Do you get a good return for him now since he’s a good role player on a good deal? Or do you end up committing too much money and years to hold onto another role player like we have with Hield and Barnes. Like Hield and Barnes, the Holmes archtype is a nice one to have, but it isn’t the one that’s going to make you a competitor. So, if he has value that can get you a better chance to acquire those impact players, then you trade him. Locking the team into a Fox, Hield/Bogdan, Barnes, Bagley/Bjelica, Holmes core for the next 3-4 years is locking the team into a fringe 8th seed competitor ceiling.

August 21, 2020 10:01 am

Two things I won’t accept until the bitter end:

1. Giles will leave Sac this offseason
  2. Giles is not going to be a high impact starter in this league

i think it makes sense for Harry and the Kings if they bring him back on a one year deal, and trade Holmes. Then just see what you have next year with a front court rotation with Bagley starting at Center, and Bjelly, Giles and Parker (and Len if he’s cheap) in some sort of big man rotation.

Then just load up on wing defenders and/or secondary playmakers in the draft and Focus on development. The defense will probably be bad, but who cares they aren’t making the playoffs anyways. At least you can get a better idea if Giles can develop into a rangy big who’s a passable defender. If you couple that with his already elite passing for his size (and playing more within himself), then he’s almost a poor man’s Bam or Horford type center.

Wonderchild
August 21, 2020 10:07 am

I just don’t see Giles getting the lateral quickness to defend anything like Bam or Horford. I really like watching the kid, but he’s gone.

August 21, 2020 10:11 am
Reply to  Wonderchild

Well, yeah. But he doesn’t have to defend like them to be useful/good. He just has to be something approaching average.

But, I agree. I think he’s gone and I’ve already prepared myself emotionally for that.

SelecaoKOJ
August 20, 2020 6:10 pm

I predict The new Kings GM trading the pick along with some other players(Bogi, Hield, etc) to move into the Top 4.

KevinSalvadori
August 20, 2020 6:15 pm
Reply to  SelecaoKOJ

All 3, Chicago, Cleveland, and Atlanta, are intriguing for that possibility. Particularly Chicago holds some intrigue. I could see them being interested in someone like Bogi and there are pieces there that could work. With their pick, I could see us going for any of Avdija, Halliburton, Wiseman, or Okongwu.

August 20, 2020 6:30 pm
Reply to  KevinSalvadori

Bogi’s a restricted free agent. Free agency starts after the draft, and Bogi has the freedom to negotiate with any team. A trade could happen, but it would not be on draft day. That means the team that’s interested would not draft a player on our behalf.

August 20, 2020 10:38 pm

I’m still thinking the best way to get value from Bogdan is probably to match his likely COVID-depressed deal, and hold onto him at least until the next deadline.

Wonderchild
August 21, 2020 9:11 am

That’s why I’m more in the “Trade Buddy” camp. Not that I don’t enjoy watching him shoot, but he can get us the best value in return.

02kingsfan
August 20, 2020 7:45 pm
Reply to  KevinSalvadori

if any of these teams hire Vlade in their FO I bet some types of dumb deals like these could be done

Gregoryl
August 20, 2020 9:45 pm
Reply to  02kingsfan

Vlade will never have decision-making power in the league again.

August 20, 2020 10:27 pm
Reply to  Gregoryl

Breaking: After a thorough search, Vivek and Dumars have decided to rehire Vlade Divac as GM of the Sacramento Kings.

eddie41
August 20, 2020 8:36 pm
Reply to  KevinSalvadori

our job is not to please other teams. Please stop talking about Bogi like a commodity.

August 20, 2020 8:47 pm

He is a commodity.

eddie41
August 20, 2020 8:51 pm

If he is, we got no-one to replace him. his name should not be tossed around in trade ideas. This is not baseball.

August 20, 2020 8:57 pm

I like Bogi. He seems like a good guy, and he knows how to play basketball. He is no where near the caliber of player who should have a virtual no trade clause.

August 20, 2020 9:28 pm

We don’t have to have his replacement on the roster now. This team is going to turning over a lot players before it’s good. If Bogdan is one of them, so be it.

cbrody
August 20, 2020 10:56 pm

He’s a starting two guard on a 30 win team who averaged 15 points 3 assists and 3 boards. He’s in back half of his twenties, and he’s not a lockdown defender or an outstanding shooter/scorer. He is most definitely replaceable. If they can get him at a reasonable price I’m all for it but if he’s trying to get Buddy money that is a hard pass.

Why do you hate Bogi? Let him go to the Spurs and get a couple six man of the year awards. No player deserves to spend their whole career in this cesspit.

Last edited 9 months ago by cbrody
August 20, 2020 9:31 pm

Also, considering what other teams would want if how you actually get deals done. Nobody’s going to make a deal they don’t think benefits their team.

eddie41
August 20, 2020 9:47 pm

I understand what you are saying. I just think it’s better as a general rule not to try to solve other team’s problems, not to suggest trading players we want to keep. If you actually want to trade someone, fine, but I think we all like Bogi, we all think he has at least 3 peak years left, we all think he fits in Sacramento, and we all want to see him in a Kings uniform next year. Therefore, we don’t toss his name out like something we’re giving away in a McDonald’s meal deal.

oshima9
August 20, 2020 10:00 pm

Not a Bogi fan at this point. Can’t defend, and seems to believe that he is a better player than he is, resulting in erratic shot selection and ball handling. Can help another team where he understands his limited role, but will not accept such a role here, and, in any event, the team cannot be successful building around a group of players as defensively inadequate as Bogi, Hield, Bagley and Fox.

August 20, 2020 10:09 pm
Reply to  oshima9

Sadly, Bogdan may be the best defender on that list. Eventually Fox should be.

August 20, 2020 10:08 pm

Obviously you don’t trade him unless you think it helps the team in the long run.

August 20, 2020 6:25 pm
Reply to  SelecaoKOJ

I just don’t see it. Maybe if they’re willing to give up a future pick. Otherwise, they don’t have enough to move up unless they’re willing to give up Fox or Bagley.

August 20, 2020 7:33 pm

There might be a way to do a trade with Charlotte that includes Buddy + #12 for the #3 pick plus a bunch of Charlotte’s bloated contracts. I’m just not smart enough to figure out the PPP, and I never know what a fair trade looks like.

SPTSJUNKIE
August 20, 2020 7:41 pm

I don’t think top 4, but if someone we liked such as Halliburton slides to 7-8, I do wonder if we could package the #12 and something reasonable to move up 4-5 picks.

Would 12 + Holmes + two 2nds for #7 + mediocre contract get it done?

Wonderchild
August 21, 2020 9:18 am
Reply to  SPTSJUNKIE

I would much rather buck the trend of previous regimes and draft a wing player instead of another guard/big. Especially in a weak draft where we’re looking for diamonds in the rough.

If we’re going to trade into the 7-9 I’d rather take someone like Okoro or Vassell, or Avdija if he slips that far. Or the Kings can just hope Nesmith or Bey fall to 12. Attaching a minor asset like Holmes to the 12th pick should get the Kings into that range.

August 21, 2020 9:25 am
Reply to  Wonderchild

Unofficial measurements:

Haliburton – 6’5, 6’11 wingspan
Okoro – 6’6, 6’8.5 wingspan
Vassell – 6’6, 6’9.5 wingspan

August 21, 2020 9:40 am

Thanks for this. Haliburton is long. He has the potential to play 3 positions.

Wonderchild
August 21, 2020 9:48 am

if he fills out a bit, sure.

August 21, 2020 9:55 am
Reply to  Wonderchild

He definitely needs to fill out. I’m just pointing out that Okoro and Vassell aren’t really ideal wing sized. They’re essentially Bogdan sized. And we’re constantly complaining about him being undersized as a SF. We may be able to think of Okoro’s strength allowing his size to play up (ala Jimmy Butler), but it’s certainly not ideal. They all kinda depend on what type of SF is across from them.

Wonderchild
August 21, 2020 10:19 am

Well I guess SGA is 6’6, 180, 6’10.5″ wingspan and he doesn’t really struggle to play 2-3 positions. I’m probably overthinking the weight difference.

And I shouldn’t be complaining about the Kings actually adding secondary playmakers for once.

August 21, 2020 10:24 am
Reply to  Wonderchild

I mean, personally, I rate those guys all pretty similarly. On ceiling, I’d probably go Okoro, Haliburton, Vassell. On floor, I’d probably reverse it. Maybe I’d put Haliburton’s floor above Vassell’s but it would be close enough I wouldn’t argue about it.

Overall, I’m still more a fan of trying to trade back and/or out than up. But I think there are valid arguments all around.

Last edited 9 months ago by BestHyperboleEver
Wonderchild
August 21, 2020 10:34 am

I agree about trading down or out, or keeping the pick. I just think if our new front office is enamored with one of those, it would be relatively easy to trade up to 7-9 and grab that player.

August 21, 2020 10:38 am
Reply to  Wonderchild

Agreed.

9sac8
August 20, 2020 6:26 pm
Reply to  SelecaoKOJ

Trade Buddy, Bagley, and maybe a future first for Minny’s pick.

HongKongKingsFan
August 20, 2020 6:32 pm
Reply to  9sac8

Anthony Edwards does not worth so much……

KevinSalvadori
August 20, 2020 6:33 pm

I agree. He was good in ER, but not great. Also no guarantee he’ll reach the level he reached in “Top Gun”.

Gregoryl
August 20, 2020 9:50 pm
Reply to  KevinSalvadori

You forgot one:

Robert Carradine Comedy GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

9sac8
August 21, 2020 3:40 am

Ok fine. Buddy and Bagley to Minny for the 1st pick.

Fox and Edwards sounds nice. Edwards could be Donovan Mitchell 2.0

We make up for the mistake of not taking Donovan in the first place!

KevinSalvadori
August 20, 2020 6:32 pm
Reply to  9sac8

Buddy, our pick at 12, a future pick for Culver and the 2.

Kangz_Landing
August 20, 2020 7:22 pm
Reply to  KevinSalvadori

They have a younger, better Buddy in Malik Beasley. Not gonna happen

August 20, 2020 9:29 pm
Reply to  Kangz_Landing

Yeah. I don’t see the Wolves being interested in Buddy. Nor the Bulls. In the top 5 only Charlotte and Cleveland are logical fits for Buddy. They both currently have two PG/combo guards that don’t fit all that well together.

Last edited 9 months ago by BestHyperboleEver
ZillersCat
August 21, 2020 7:46 am
Reply to  Kangz_Landing

Does Malik lead in the top 3, 3-PT made in the last few years, or is he even in the top 20? James Harden made 299, followed by Buddy with 271, then Damian Lilard. It is interesting to see that Ben McLemore is 12th with 181 and JJ Redick just trails him. Donovan Mitchell is tied with Fournier at 18th.

Jason Tatum is 10th with 189. What you would think is real by rhetoric and stats are sometimes surprising. If you have a player with such a skill in shooting, you’d make him a ball handler and harp on the weakest skill in your trade comments.

The Rest of the one sided trade ideas are obviously just being funny.

August 21, 2020 8:17 am
Reply to  ZillersCat

Yeah, Buddy has been getting more playing time longer than Beasley because he’s been on worse teams. So he’s taken (and made) a lot more 3s. Beasley’s per 100 numbers are close to Hield’s and since he started getting Hield minutes (because he moved to a bad team) he’s been shooting and making just as many at a Hield level clip.

Ultimately, they do the same thing, at an easily similar enough clip and thus offering roughly the same benefit to an offense to justify the Wolves thinking they don’t have to pay for Hield to do it.

August 21, 2020 10:44 am
Reply to  9sac8

I’d be more interested in trading Buddy and Bagley elsewhere and looking at our 12 for MIN’s 17, 33 and more.

If I were MIN, I might look to trade down a few picks and get more. Edwards is a pretty good fit for them, but Okongwu is tailor made to play next to KAT. I may give a call to CHA to see if I could build something around #3, a future pick, and Rozier for #1 and Johnson (expiring).

BeTheBall
August 20, 2020 6:18 pm

Shit-canning Vlade and Peja used up all our luck for a 7-day period. But I’m OK with that trade-off.

King4life
August 20, 2020 6:22 pm

This pretty much guarantees the Kings will be the worst team in the West next year. Go get a GM who knows how to draft and nail the next 3 lottery picks to give us a chance to compete in the 2020’s.

deepshot22
August 20, 2020 6:32 pm
Reply to  King4life

Thought the exact same thing. Towns, Russell and #1 pick is superior to the Kings in every way. We will be a top 6 pick in 2021.

KevinSalvadori
August 20, 2020 6:39 pm
Reply to  deepshot22

Honestly? I’m fine with that. It’s a deep draft and we’re not headed anywhere as constructed today. Keep Fox, if he’ll stay, and see what Bagley can do, if healthy. Ride out the Barnes contract until he can be packaged for some relief. Give Jeffries more minutes. Deal Buddy ASAP. Try to find a S&T for Bogi and a trade this summer for Bjelica. Grab a little relief next summer with the ending deals for Joseph, Parker, and any others acquired. Draft well.

deepshot22
August 20, 2020 9:47 pm
Reply to  KevinSalvadori

I was talking aloud I suppose. I agree with all that you said. Although I’d rather keep Buddy and use him more properly. I’d like to see Len brought back on a short term deal too. I think he can be a trade asset if done properly.

eddie41
August 20, 2020 10:18 pm
Reply to  deepshot22

Len is a backup center, and having him on the roster would give the coach an option to not play Giles. We want Giles on the court. By the way, did you see how James Harden looked like an all-nba defensive team selection when he shut down Len and discouraged him from playing in the paint?

SPTSJUNKIE
August 21, 2020 7:21 am
Reply to  deepshot22

I don’t mind bringing Len back on a cheap deal, but I think bigs like him are about as replacement-level as it gets.

I wouldn’t want to commit much money or lock him into a long deal. If he gets a better offer, we should be able to replace his handful of minutes and role (bigger body banger, sceener) for dirt cheap.

August 21, 2020 11:15 am
Reply to  SPTSJUNKIE

Yeah, there’s no reason to pay guys like Len or Baze real money. Perhaps a small familiarity bonus, but in general you can fill those roles for something close to the min.

I’m sure my affection for Kyle O’Quinn, for example, is well-established.

Chent
August 21, 2020 8:36 am
Reply to  deepshot22

And their pick next year goes to GSW (top 3 protected), so they will not be tanking.

jlandweh
August 20, 2020 6:39 pm

I’m hoping the Kings draft 1 of these 3…but the biggest pick of the next few years is who will be the GM and what is his vision.

1. Devin Vassell
  2. Isaac Okoro
  3. Aaron Nesmith

Tank for 2021

HongKongKingsFan
August 20, 2020 6:46 pm
Reply to  jlandweh

I am all in for tanking…….

Like others said, give all playing time to Jeffries, J. Parker…..Giles (If he stays)
Seeing the growth of the above players…
That’s would still be a fun season

BeTheBall
August 20, 2020 7:17 pm

I think the only growth capability Parker has left is around the middle.

August 20, 2020 7:50 pm
Reply to  BeTheBall

my brain can somehow imagine a future Kings frontcourt of Parker and Giles functioning correctly (somewhat). The Duke ACL bros. giving up 120 points, but scoring 125.

Did I mention I decided to have beers prior to the draft lottery?

02kingsfan
August 20, 2020 7:49 pm

Not sure how much fun there will be if Lose Alton still coaching this team come 2021

ArcoThunder
August 20, 2020 9:24 pm
Reply to  jlandweh

Okoro!!!

ZillersCat
August 21, 2020 7:48 am
Reply to  jlandweh

I’m hoping they draft Tillman and show that defense helps the team more than another scorer.

Chent
August 21, 2020 7:57 am
Reply to  ZillersCat

I like Tillman with our 2nd rounder, might have to move up to the last first rd picks.

ZillersCat
August 21, 2020 8:45 am
Reply to  Chent

It would be a shame to miss out. I don’t think 35 would do it.

August 20, 2020 6:52 pm

Among the 3 items below, most long term impact on the Kings: (1) the Kings taking the time and spending the money to smartly hire a really good GM; (2) should that fail to happen, Kings fans voting with their wallets and sending Vivek packing over several year; and a distant (3) this draft.

HongKongKingsFan
August 20, 2020 7:16 pm

A bit off-topic…
If Bagley (2018 draft version) was in this year’s draft…

Which spot will he projected to be landed ? (Top 5 or even Top 3 ?)

KevinSalvadori
August 20, 2020 7:20 pm

Easily top 3, probably 1 or 2.

HongKongKingsFan
August 20, 2020 7:25 pm
Reply to  KevinSalvadori

wow…then that’s really imply this is a pretty weak draft….

KevinSalvadori
August 20, 2020 7:39 pm

There are two strong players who could be great: Edwards and Ball. There are two complete wildcards with big potential, but several unknowns (Avdija, Wiseman), and another few who have the intangibles that have made guys like Ja Morant, Bam, and Booker stand out (Toppin, Halliburton, Okwongyu). But there are not multiple near-certain potential perennial All Stars here, which is what Bagley’s class had. While the jury is still soundly out on him, he was easily and solidly seen among that cadre for his draft.

LaBradfordsCreditCard
August 20, 2020 11:04 pm

Here’s an even more fun question … if 2018 were re-drafted, would Bagley go higher than 12?

KevinSalvadori
August 21, 2020 3:09 am

I’d probably say 8 or 9. Somewhere in there. It would play out this way, in my opinion:

1. Luka
2. Trae
3. Ayton
4. JJJ
5. Porter
6. Bridges
7. Carter
8. Bagley

He still has potential, and when he did stay on the court during year one there was real talent on display. We’ve seen him about 4 times since, and therein lies the problem.

August 21, 2020 7:44 am
Reply to  KevinSalvadori

SGA and Robinson.

AirmaxPG
August 21, 2020 8:30 am

SGA with 31 points last night. I actually think it’s pretty close whether SGA or Fox is a better basketball player.

Contract status considered, I’m not even sure Presti would accept an SGA for Fox straight up swap. If contracts were equal, he probably would.

August 21, 2020 8:41 am
Reply to  AirmaxPG

I would say Presti absolutely would not do that swap. Even if contracts were equal.

AirmaxPG
August 21, 2020 9:39 am

Interesting. I disagree, but I think we both can say at the very least the gap is not very big between the two players. I think a majority of Kings fans would scoff at the deal though, as I think Fox is very over-valued here (which is typical for any fan base probably). SGA is a very good player, and so is Fox.

I just think we’d be surprised what Fox would actually return in trade (as in disappointed surprised), especially when we have to give him a big contract.

His trade value is probably never going to be higher than it is right now.

August 21, 2020 10:20 am
Reply to  AirmaxPG

Again, the Knicks are desperate for a PG and have 7 1st round picks over the next 3 drafts.

Just saying.

As for Fox vs. SGA. I think they’re probably pretty similar in overall impact. I just think SGA’s positional size, offensive versatility and plus defense make him an easier player to build with and around.

AirmaxPG
August 21, 2020 10:39 am

And Scott Perry was here when we drafted Fox, so we could probably get higher value there for Fox than others who might want a better shooting PG.

I really wonder what we could get in a NY trade. A very high-end 1st in 2021 plus Robinson is enough for me. But we could probably get more.

August 21, 2020 10:59 am
Reply to  AirmaxPG

I’m assuming Fox would get a rookie extension S&T, so you’d have to include some more contracts. You could do something like:

Fox for Robinson + Portis + Ellington (or Gibson, but may as well not load up on PFs) + 2020 LAC 1st (#27) + 2021 NYK 1st.

Though, yeah, ultimate Robinson, the expirings, and the 2021 1st may be enough for me.

9sac8
August 21, 2020 3:45 am

Undrafted!!

Chent
August 20, 2020 7:39 pm

With the 12th pick, I think I’m leaning Patrick Williams, future Barnes replacement.

As for what to expect for next year, all 8 playoff teams are better than the Kings, Warriors with a healthy team better than the Kings, Timberwolves (their pick next year also belongs to Warriors no tanking value), Pelicans Suns based on talent should be better, Grizzlies played better this year although dont seem to have much more talent…

We are 1 of the worst teams in the West next year whether we try or not, so let’s go full tank, trade Buddy and Holmes. S&T Bogi. If we get 1 future pick out of trades, hit on 12, have Jeffries or 2nd rounders prove worthy of 3 and D potential, re-establish Bagley, and get a top 5 pick in ’21… That is a true young core!

oshima9
August 20, 2020 10:05 pm
Reply to  Chent

Without getting into the details, this is the right way to think about the situation, although I am a pessimist when it comes to Bagley. This is a trap that the Kings must avoid, a tear down with Bagley remaining, resulting in Bagley being even more overhyped that he has already been, further inflating his ego and his resistance to the coaching he needs to have any chance of succeeding in the league.

Chent
August 21, 2020 7:00 am
Reply to  oshima9

Well the coaching part I agree with because Luke has mentioned him as some sort of special talent already, which he is but it doesn’t foster the discipline a coach should. A good FO would know a good coach, Joerger actually did a great job in this regard bringing him off the bench and being demanding. I feel he looked a lot better toward the end of his rookie year than the beginning.

But as far as Bagley as a talent, he had a very good rookie year, he was great in college, and he does have a lot of potential that makes me believe we can at least turn him into a good player for our team or even value for trade; however, there is still a lot of development needed in his game. I think if he can be healthy this upcoming year and be a scoring option (without Buddy/Bjelica and possibly Bogi around we will need someone scoring those 40 pts) with raw avgs of 17/10, his value would improve greatly compared to now.

Tunel_21
August 20, 2020 7:41 pm

If we stay put, I am all for drafting Saddiq Bey. Seems like a smart kid, defends with a high motor, shoots the three at a nice clip, has good length. My gut tells me whoever the GM is will try and make some noise and will pull a trade to move up. Which makes me nervous, or excited, at this point I am having a hard time distinguishing my emotions, but sure, lets try anything at this point!

Kangz_Landing
August 20, 2020 7:41 pm

Kings get: Kevin Knox, Wayne Ellington, Bobby Portis, Knicks 27th overall pick (from Clippers), Knicks 2021 1st rounder from Mavericks

Knicks get: Buddy Hield, Cory Joseph, 12th overall pick, 53rd overall pick, 2021 2nd rounder

Now you have an extra 1st rounder to trade up in next year’s loaded draft. Two expiring deals in Portis and Ellington and a young guy in Knox.

KevinSalvadori
August 20, 2020 7:54 pm
Reply to  Kangz_Landing

Us trading this year’s pick seems excessive in such a deal. But I agree, I could easily see a similar deal to this.

Kangz_Landing
August 20, 2020 8:27 pm
Reply to  KevinSalvadori

I feel we’re going to have use it to unload Buddy’s mega deal.

Chef
August 20, 2020 8:39 pm
Reply to  Kangz_Landing

Ludacris. I think you need to look at other players contracts in the nba to see what a mega deal is. Tobias Harris will be averaging 35 million for the next 5 years….

Last edited 9 months ago by Chef
Jman1949
August 20, 2020 8:43 pm
Reply to  Chef

LaBradfordsCreditCard
August 20, 2020 11:05 pm
Reply to  Jman1949

Ludacris!!!

Kangz_Landing
August 20, 2020 8:51 pm
Reply to  Chef

Buddy is a $80+ million dollar 6th man right now. If you wanted a 1st rounder for him then you shouldn’t have benched him. Barnes has a mega deal too, both are not worth what we’re paying them.

U want to give Luke the blame? Guess what, he’s coming back for another season. So what does that mean? Buddy off the bench. Also, Luke misused Buddy yes, but he also proved that Buddy can not do much else except shoot. He gave Buddy the opportunity to be the focal point with Fox and Bagley hurt. Failed. Then he was the secondary ball handler with Fox back. Failed. So $80 million plus for a 3 point specialist? No thanks. Plus he’s an old 5th year pro. Time to cut bait.

Last edited 9 months ago by Kangz_Landing
Chef
August 20, 2020 9:19 pm
Reply to  Kangz_Landing

If you wanted a 1st rounder for him then you shouldn’t have benched him.

Count me in. Where do I sign the petition.

I think you need to rewatch the tape on Joegers coaching days and see how he used Buddy. You might be going overboard with dumping Buddy for peanuts. The man is a starter in the league period. The dysfunctional Kangz put a starter who’s best asset is shooting into running the 2nd unit is pretty stupid if you ask me. Just because the Kangz made it so doesn’t mean they are doing it right. Poor logical reasoning in my opinion.

and for the record, there is still alot of time before next season. If the Kings actually do get a good GM, he might not like Luke. I wouldn’t say he is here to stay without a doubt.

Last edited 9 months ago by Chef
Kangz_Landing
August 20, 2020 9:40 pm
Reply to  Chef

I don’t need to watch the tape, I watched almost every game last season, so keep talking to me like you’re an NBA head coach and I’m a 5 year old child.

The reality is Luke is getting another year and he’ll be the same player. So what’s your sales pitch gonna be?

“Look what Buddy did last year under a coach that we fired. Btw just ignore his bone head passes, nonexistent defense, $20 plus million contract, and how he complains to the media. Now give us your 1st round pick.”

Chef
August 20, 2020 10:12 pm
Reply to  Kangz_Landing

Luke Walton is an NBA head coach. But that don’t say much.

Sales pitch? No need for sales pitch. Just saying Kings don’t need to trade players for pennies on the dollar just because an “NBA head coach” is not doing his job properly. Pretty simple.

Kangz_Landing
August 20, 2020 10:39 pm
Reply to  Chef

Being an NBA Head Coach isn’t saying much? There’s only 30 of those currently active in the whole world.

The bottom line is our respective values of Buddy Hield are different and that’s fine.

Chef
August 21, 2020 9:16 am
Reply to  Kangz_Landing

Being a NBA head coach doesn’t automatically mean you are a good coach. Using the argument of “Well Luke benched Buddy, so he isn’t a starter” is a false premise.

Last edited 9 months ago by Chef
ArcoThunder
August 20, 2020 9:20 pm
Reply to  Kangz_Landing

I think buddy’s value is just fine. I think people saw a player that was drastically misused and I think most GM’s and coaches see a perfect opportunity to add the biggest commodity in today’s nba to their team from the bumbling ding dongs in Sacramento who don’t know what they have.

this would include me.

accept there’s more to it than shooting for me. I’m not sure outside folks know what we know about buddy and his game. Let’s keep it that way.

oshima9
August 20, 2020 10:06 pm
Reply to  ArcoThunder

I agree with this. There’s going to be a GM out there who will be starry eyed over Buddy’s 3 point shooting ability, and believes that he can fit Buddy into the right system.

eddie41
August 20, 2020 10:41 pm
Reply to  ArcoThunder

thank you. I agree Buddy Hield was misused this year, and he is still a great shooter who can put up a lot of points when he gets hot. Furthermore, given his motor and his declining contract, the Kings can always move his contract later if they have to.

ScottyPop
August 21, 2020 7:40 am
Reply to  ArcoThunder

Don’t ding ding.

I feel like a lot of folks have short term memory in regard to Buddy.

When they came out 2 years ago and surprised everyone by playing really good basketball, Buddy was the best, most consistent player on the team. You could count on lights out shooting and 20-25 every night.

So, what changed?

Chent
August 21, 2020 7:53 am
Reply to  ScottyPop

1, his age changed, he aged a year when everyone found out he was actually a year older, 2 his defense has been really bad, 3, he is on a pretty big contract now in a depressed market and 4, Luke Walton has exposed how terrible he is as a ballhandler/distributor. Another thing that rubs me the wrong way is how he will throw the team or coach under the bus to the media.

All that said, he is useful if utilized properly, and I do believe he has value but most likely will have to take back a worse contract if we want an additional asset.

August 20, 2020 9:39 pm
Reply to  Kangz_Landing

Hield’s deal is roughly market rate. We won’t have to pay to unload it.

Kangz_Landing
August 20, 2020 9:59 pm

It is market value for those who see Buddy as a starter. Which our coach does not so why keep him?

The 12th pick I’m giving no hope in for the Kings to find a gem in this weak draft. Especially with an interim GM running it for us this year. Moving down to acquire future assets seems smart.

Back to the contract, I’m thinking we will have to pay to unload it because it’s a fresh 4 years on someone’s book and flexibility is the name of the game. Especially for the Knicks who want to go big FA hunting.

August 20, 2020 10:05 pm
Reply to  Kangz_Landing

I’m not suggesting a need to keep Hield. I just think there are a number of teams that would be fine with having him on his deal. If the Knicks don’t, then don’t trade with them.

SelecaoKOJ