Articles | Breaking News

Sacramento Kings name Alvin Gentry as interim head coach

After a few hours of speculation, the Kings decided on Gentry.

The Sacramento Kings have selected Alvin Gentry as the interim head coach. Sam Amick was the first to report the news.

Following the announcement that Luke Walton had been fired, there was speculation whether the Kings would pick Gentry or if they would select Doug Christie. Doug is a fan favorite but only has 17 games experience on an NBA coaching staff.

Gentry has a career head coaching record of 510 wins and 595 losses, a slightly better career winning percentage than Luke Walton.

sonny
Comments
Comments
November 21, 2021 5:00 pm

Here We Vomit

TheKingsWhine
November 21, 2021 5:25 pm

Let’s give Gentry a chance. He had some pretty high octane Phoenix teams. Maybe he can replicate that success here. Doug needs a full season as assistant before he interviews for that head coaching job!

Rosevillain
November 21, 2021 5:36 pm
Reply to  TheKingsWhine

Who knows, maybe these guys need to play for their dad, instead of some bro they pound beers with.

AnybodyButBagley
November 21, 2021 7:31 pm
Reply to  Rosevillain

Walton

Give the other team credit….

The guys worked hard tonight….

We are going to watch the tape and see what happened…..

Shots just not falling. We got good looks….

A coach to be named later that might win…

We sucked tonight. If guys want to play on this team they need to earn it….

A few guys took the night off tonight. They won’t play here tomorrow…..

Our game plan is simple. The guys know it and need to execute it…..

NBA players have some bad nights but I expect them to make free throws….

ForKingsandCountry
November 21, 2021 7:02 pm

I’m glad Walton is gone but let’s be honest here: the coach is irrelevant, the front office is irrelevant and the players are mostly irrelevant as long as Vivek owns the team. There’s nothing any of us can do about it but that’s the truth. I do not believe this team will make the playoffs as long as he owns the team. There’s too much talent around the league and too many smart teams for it to be any other way.

Last edited 13 days ago by ForKingsandCountry
rockbottom
November 21, 2021 7:19 pm

100% accurate ! Coaches , players and GM’s have all been changes several times and what remains the constant !

Rosevillain
November 21, 2021 7:59 pm

While mostly true, at least I can feel good about rooting for likable, upstanding Gentry.

ForKingsandCountry
November 21, 2021 11:30 pm
Reply to  Rosevillain

Yeah I agree with that. I’m just past the point of believing that firing a coach or even a GM makes any difference at all. It doesn’t. It hasn’t.

November 21, 2021 11:49 pm

Things have been pretty great since Petrie was fired, you have to admit.

Half-a-decade of stepping on landmines that Divac himself put down, and another fifteen years of watching Luka Doncic complete his resume for the Hall of Fame.

So yeah, I do think that the GM matters, as does the coach.

rockbottom
November 22, 2021 6:31 am

Vivek hired Vlade and PDA ! He is the actual GM and why he hires inexperienced people he can control !

ForKingsandCountry
November 22, 2021 8:50 am

We’re on GM number 3 and coach number 7? 8? Of the Vivek era? The results have not changed at all. Whether we win 31 games with Vlade and Joerger or McNair and Walton or McNair and Gentry, or Petey D and Corbin, does it really make a difference? Sure doesn’t seem that it does. There’s one constant.

And while we’re at it, I think I’m at the point where I can say that Vivek is a worse owner that the Maloofs in terms of putting together a functional NBA organization.

Hobby916
November 22, 2021 3:18 am
Reply to  Rosevillain

Does that count as another moral victory?

RPO
RPO
November 21, 2021 8:01 pm

Agreed that Vivek is clearly the root of the problem, but I think that fans can do a couple of things about it. First, don’t give this team another dime until it starts behaving like a professional organization. Don’t attend any games or buy any merchandise. I’d even suggest not watching any games on TV (choke off the ad revenue), but I know that’ll be hard for many folks. Additionally, we can and should embarrass Vivek. He’s a prima donna who wants to be seen as cool and innovative. I think that calls to radio shows, messages on billboards, and posts to forums all shouting out that he’s obviously the problem will affect him personally. He absolutely needs to understand that fans have grown tired of his incompetence.

ForKingsandCountry
November 21, 2021 11:34 pm
Reply to  RPO

I stopped spending money on this team quite awhile ago but I honestly don’t think Vivek cares about any of it. He’s probably tripled his investment since buying the team and when the new tv deal gets worked out in the next couple years he going to make a ton more money. I wish we could shame him into changing or selling the team but I just don’t think it matters.

Marty